Have you ever experienced harassment on a video game, or video game forum?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Red Blaster
    Bridge Burner
    • Jun 2011
    • 2040

    #16
    Re: Have you ever experienced harassment on a video game, or video game forum?

    Yeah there's definitely a discernable difference in having someone being just generally upset vs going on a personal attack.
    It all depends on how thick skinned you are and what you let affect you.
    Originally posted by hi19hi19
    edgelord Linkin Park adolescent angst music
    Originally posted by choof
    hey great contribution to the thread cucklord the exit's up in the top right of your screen, it's called "log out"
    Originally posted by Funnygurl555
    what's a milky christmas :O

    Comment

    • Arch0wl
      Banned
      FFR Simfile Author
      • Dec 2002
      • 6344

      #17
      Re: Have you ever experienced harassment on a video game, or video game forum?

      The poll is phrased this way, by the way, because that's the standard some activists have used to define harassment: being insulted for various reasons and called slurs/pejoratives.

      I'm in agreement that harassment should be defined as something more severe than just namecalling, but this is more of an experiment to see what happens when you ask a 99% male forum the same question with the same criteria.

      Comment

      • FF_rules
        FF Veteran
        • May 2006
        • 668

        #18
        Re: Have you ever experienced harassment on a video game, or video game forum?

        Originally posted by Arch0wl
        The poll is phrased this way, by the way, because that's the standard some activists have used to define harassment: being insulted for various reasons and called slurs/pejoratives.
        Play any game with online interaction. Got called a scrub on online chess once so I don't even know lol.

        Comment

        • Red Blaster
          Bridge Burner
          • Jun 2011
          • 2040

          #19
          Re: Have you ever experienced harassment on a video game, or video game forum?

          Originally posted by FF_rules
          Play any game with online interaction. Got called a scrub on online chess once so I don't even know lol.
          Get rekt.
          Originally posted by hi19hi19
          edgelord Linkin Park adolescent angst music
          Originally posted by choof
          hey great contribution to the thread cucklord the exit's up in the top right of your screen, it's called "log out"
          Originally posted by Funnygurl555
          what's a milky christmas :O

          Comment

          • gold stinger
            Signature Extraordinare~~
            Event Staff
            Game Manager
            FFR Simfile Author
            FFR Music Producer
            Global Moderator
            • Jan 2007
            • 6429

            #20
            Re: Have you ever experienced harassment on a video game, or video game forum?

            Originally posted by Arch0wl
            The poll is phrased this way, by the way, because that's the standard some activists have used to define harassment: being insulted for various reasons and called slurs/pejoratives.

            I'm in agreement that harassment should be defined as something more severe than just namecalling, but this is more of an experiment to see what happens when you ask a 99% male forum the same question with the same criteria.
            To be fair when I was younger and used the internet, I considered yelling & getting called names & shit extremely offensive, no doubt most kids still do, and even create a large portion of the name calling as they construct their burn combos online. Nowadays, I mostly only take offense to the people that go the extra mile to assure you're upset, like stealing personal info & DDoSing, sending death threats etc. I've never been directly DDoSed though, and no one has cared enough to start finding ways to use my personal info. I have been sent a death threat before, but I didn't respond back in any way, that would just be feeding.

            Yeah harassment in terms of vocal harassment is to be expected everywhere you go on the internet. It's turned into more or less a game for youtube comments. There's tons of religious discussion, feminist & gay talk, and just bad-mouthing in the wrong directions over there.
            Last edited by gold stinger; 02-4-2015, 02:28 AM.
            Originally posted by YoshL
            butts.


            - Tosh 2014






            Comment

            • Red Blaster
              Bridge Burner
              • Jun 2011
              • 2040

              #21
              Re: Have you ever experienced harassment on a video game, or video game forum?

              I stay away from YouTube's comment section as best I can. Probably one of the worst places on the internet.
              Even the PC tech channels I subscribe to have turned from intelligent conversation into nothing but massive fanboy flamewars.
              Last edited by Red Blaster; 02-4-2015, 02:33 AM.
              Originally posted by hi19hi19
              edgelord Linkin Park adolescent angst music
              Originally posted by choof
              hey great contribution to the thread cucklord the exit's up in the top right of your screen, it's called "log out"
              Originally posted by Funnygurl555
              what's a milky christmas :O

              Comment

              • FF_rules
                FF Veteran
                • May 2006
                • 668

                #22
                Re: Have you ever experienced harassment on a video game, or video game forum?

                Originally posted by Red Blaster
                I stay away from YouTube's comment section as best I can. Probably one of the worst places on the internet.
                Even the PC tech channels I subscribe to have turned from intelligent conversation into nothing but massive fanboy flamewars.
                It's the new generation of internet users... right?

                Comment

                • gold stinger
                  Signature Extraordinare~~
                  Event Staff
                  Game Manager
                  FFR Simfile Author
                  FFR Music Producer
                  Global Moderator
                  • Jan 2007
                  • 6429

                  #23
                  Re: Have you ever experienced harassment on a video game, or video game forum?

                  pffh, who goes to youtube anymore to comment?
                  Originally posted by YoshL
                  butts.


                  - Tosh 2014






                  Comment

                  • Godnick

                    #24
                    Re: Have you ever experienced harassment on a video game, or video game forum?

                    @Goldstinger: I actually enjoy scrolling down and seeing what the comments have to say after watching a youtube video. Not only does it provide entertainment but also an insight as to what people find right and wrong plus other interesting bizarres. On the topic of online harassment, it's a learning experience. How you deal with it is up to you. The best bet might be to brush it aside but inherit awareness as to why the said case against you occurred and have a solution so that the next time that said case might possibly happen, you know what to do so that it doesn't affect your brain in a possibly unwanted negative way.

                    Comment

                    • kmay
                      Don't forget me
                      • Jan 2007
                      • 6533

                      #25
                      Re: Have you ever experienced harassment on a video game, or video game forum?

                      well considering Korny made that long ass thread about hating me. i'd say i've been insulted on the internet, if i took any of it to heart yea sure i'd call it harassment. I think he was harassing, but I was not harassed if that is making any sense. Kids that think too much of themselves tend to not bother me.

                      Its really all how you take what they say over the internet. A lot of people don't realize that was someone from the other side of the country says on a forum is meaningless.

                      Now on xbox, again I've been in lobbies where someone says I'm gay or a *** and blah blah blah, which I am one so I agree politely and the argument gets dropped 9 times out of 10. Then there is the 1/10 where I get a guy who doesn't understand why I would choose to be gay and is just very ignorant and that gays don't play video games...

                      Again, their ignorance doesn't bother me, so I don't consider it harassment because someone like that isn't educated enough to harass me, but it is harassing.

                      hope i'm making sense here.

                      Comment

                      • Godnick

                        #26
                        Re: Have you ever experienced harassment on a video game, or video game forum?

                        @Kmay: You told me once that you control a COD clan. I'd join but I'm on the PS3. @Korny: That sucks you'd go out of your way to do something like that man. I actually like you as a person and hope that one's feelings for a certain gender does not play a role as to whether you like that person or not. I am not one to judge for all but I think that you should give people a chance before discriminating against one simply because it's what one desires in a way that would never apply or have anything to do with you sexually. This is a call out and I'm not a fan of this nature. One is entitled to their own opinion but please realize the emotional affect you can toll on others over something that will not apply to you or make any difference other than acknowledgement of what one desires and burdening a human being for who they are.

                        Comment

                        • Deadlyx39
                          FFR Player
                          • Sep 2014
                          • 1046

                          #27
                          Re: Have you ever experienced harassment on a video game, or video game forum?

                          I feel like the more exposed you are to people shit talking, the less it really gets to you. I mean, if anybody plays video games I guarantee that at least once they played that guy who can't take a loss, or that kid playing a game rated M. I don't know if shit talking is necessarily harassment, but I think it would count.
                          Originally posted by Wayward Vagabond
                          I want another DJ hero
                          Originally posted by Red Blaster
                          Why should I care about this thread
                          Originally posted by choof
                          whats in it for me
                          Originally posted by grizz13114
                          Fun times and meme sluts
                          Originally posted by choof
                          ew meme sluts
                          ew fun

                          Originally posted by MinaciousGrace
                          do you realize how asinine all of your posts are
                          Originally posted by MinaciousGrace
                          i would also like to take this opportunity to shout out deadlyx39

                          on the one hand i feel as though your absence from these forums is a shelled victory for all ffr forumites however after careful examination of my internal feeling apparatus i have come to the conclusion that i do in fact miss your posts

                          [...]

                          come back

                          i need to laugh at you

                          once more

                          Comment

                          • Deadlyx39
                            FFR Player
                            • Sep 2014
                            • 1046

                            #28
                            Re: Have you ever experienced harassment on a video game, or video game forum?

                            Originally posted by Red Blaster
                            I stay away from YouTube's comment section as best I can. Probably one of the worst places on the internet.
                            Even the PC tech channels I subscribe to have turned from intelligent conversation into nothing but massive fanboy flamewars.
                            People think that because it's the internet they can do basically whatever they want. But if someone really wanted to, they could backtrack the comment, which does lead to some funny situations.
                            Originally posted by Wayward Vagabond
                            I want another DJ hero
                            Originally posted by Red Blaster
                            Why should I care about this thread
                            Originally posted by choof
                            whats in it for me
                            Originally posted by grizz13114
                            Fun times and meme sluts
                            Originally posted by choof
                            ew meme sluts
                            ew fun

                            Originally posted by MinaciousGrace
                            do you realize how asinine all of your posts are
                            Originally posted by MinaciousGrace
                            i would also like to take this opportunity to shout out deadlyx39

                            on the one hand i feel as though your absence from these forums is a shelled victory for all ffr forumites however after careful examination of my internal feeling apparatus i have come to the conclusion that i do in fact miss your posts

                            [...]

                            come back

                            i need to laugh at you

                            once more

                            Comment

                            • kmay
                              Don't forget me
                              • Jan 2007
                              • 6533

                              #29
                              Re: Have you ever experienced harassment on a video game, or video game forum?

                              nah he doesn't hate me because i'm gay, he thinks i'm stupid. its alright he can hate me.


                              and Godnick I'll send you a PM about the clan

                              Comment

                              • Godnick

                                #30
                                Re: Have you ever experienced harassment on a video game, or video game forum?

                                Ok. I didn't read anything about what happened but it all should be clear enough that it isn't right.

                                Comment

                                Working...