A word of advice for new college students

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ItsOnlyDanO
    Stuck in the past
    FFR Simfile Author
    • Oct 2013
    • 1168

    #16
    Re: A word of advice for new college students

    I would use my universities library but everyone in there is stupidly loud which makes it unbearable
    Ghosts appear and fade away.......

    Comment

    • Mahou
      魔法少女
      • Jan 2006
      • 2153

      #17
      Re: A word of advice for new college students

      Originally posted by hi19hi19
      Also the school band likes to play in the libraries.


      This was during reading period a few years ago. The band tried to bring some festive cheer to the computer lab before finals (also right before Christmas) and...



      Mahou I basically imagine you as this guy haha
      (also you have a point, don't get me wrong)
      Holy shit man, you hit the nail on the wood. But today, I didn't retaliate that way because it was two annoying girls who kept talking about how they don't a shit about their classes and the people around them.

      Originally posted by andy-o24
      How big is your library?

      -o24
      The library has 2 floors. One is particularly for just studying and using the computers. The 2nd floor is for passing students since there are classrooms on that floor. Good luck studying up there.

      Originally posted by Charu
      See, in my library, telling people to STFU is impossible sometimes because they're a bunch of kids that are only there to fuck around (Also location).

      We have a rule saying to STFU, but we sort of don't enforce it unless someone is really being an obnoxious douchebag and or a patron comes up to one of us and complains about someone in particular.

      Yoooooo, if you legit need to study in the library, tell the librarian and or whoever monitors the lab. It's part of their job description to keep the library in check! Also, try to find study spaces. We got a bunch of spaces in my library where there's a desk but nothing else around but books (to guarantee at least very minimal voices).
      Granted that I had to go to my next class at 11, I only had about 30 minutes so I didn't have to get to that level; however, I did tell them to shut the fuck up.
      Originally posted by lofty rhino
      one does not simply hate everyone that plays stepmania
      AND watch anime.

      Comment

      • Wayward Vagabond
        Confirmed Heartbreaker
        FFR Simfile Author
        • Jul 2012
        • 5866

        #18
        Re: A word of advice for new college students

        our library house sound proof rooms that you can schedule to use for small group discussions and then theres a huge area on one half of the bottom floor that has study desks. that half of the library is almost quiet since each desk is closed off so you can't talk to the people around you. the only sound you might hear is keyboard clicks. its separated by a wall that prevents most sound from going to that half. the other half of the bottom floor is books and an open study area that hardly ever gets above low inside voices. its a nice library

        Comment

        • kmay
          Don't forget me
          • Jan 2007
          • 6532

          #19
          Re: A word of advice for new college students

          or you could get a study room. most libraries have them.

          Comment

          • Charu
            Snivy! Dohoho!
            FFR Simfile Author
            • Mar 2006
            • 6207

            #20
            Re: A word of advice for new college students

            Speaking of libraries, OFF I GO TO ANOTHER DAY AT THE LIBRARY!

            Library stuff!


            Originally posted by JohnRedWolf87
            Charu the red-nosed Snivy
            Had a very shiny nose
            And if you ever saw it
            You could even say it glows

            All of the other Snivies
            Used to laugh and call him names
            They never let poor Charu
            Join in any Snivy games

            (Click the arrow to see the rest)


            Originally posted by Vendetta21
            All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.

            Comment

            • Mahou
              魔法少女
              • Jan 2006
              • 2153

              #21
              Re: A word of advice for new college students

              Originally posted by kmay
              or you could get a study room. most libraries have them.
              I was waiting for a response like this , and it's a very valid point; however, I do not handwrite any of my notes for any of my classes. Everything I do is done on my laptop because my handwriting looks like crap and Microsoft Word can put notes in a format that looks very clean for me to study - especially if I write over an extended period of time (usually after 1 hour). Therefore, any notes that I have, I save them on my laptop and then upload them to my Dropbox account(dropbox is like my best friend. Fuck using binders) Then I'll go to the public computers (i usually pick on that is away from most people), download the documents, and then print them out. The school provides us 30 dollars worth of printing each semester (that's a pretty substantial amount just for printing) so I like to take advantage of that privilege.
              Even if I'm on that computer to not print, it's very common for me to download a specific document from the account so I can do more editing to that document (Sometimes I feel like I left something out or could improve the notes). At that point, I do not like to move from my spot.
              I feel like I should not have to move from my spot because someone else is being a nuisance. It's a universal rule in libraries that noise should be kept to a minimum (aka shutting the fuck up). The rule is usually taught to someone in elementary school or at a younger age. Even though it is much easier to relocate myself, it's really hard to get me to move when I'm in that working mode. Some of these people really need to be mindful of others...this shit is getting really old.
              Last edited by Mahou; 01-26-2015, 01:26 PM.
              Originally posted by lofty rhino
              one does not simply hate everyone that plays stepmania
              AND watch anime.

              Comment

              • kmay
                Don't forget me
                • Jan 2007
                • 6532

                #22
                Re: A word of advice for new college students

                You can't ever count on that. bring headphones and listen to music while you do it. you have to adapt.

                Comment

                • Mahou
                  魔法少女
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 2153

                  #23
                  Re: A word of advice for new college students

                  Originally posted by kmay
                  You can't ever count on that. bring headphones and listen to music while you do it. you have to adapt.
                  I do that as well. A lot of times I find myself putting my headphones automatically in and playing something relaxing so I can be in the zone. It only becomes a problem to me once I can hear the same voice that goes over the sound coming from my headphones. I can't blast the volume from the headphones either because that will be a distraction to the other people around me.

                  Originally posted by rayword45
                  As a High School Student, the only reason to go to the library is to skip study or skip a class with a clueless teacher and fuck around. Nobody ever checks books out, and we tend to type shit at home.
                  That I can see because I did the same exact thing when I was in high school. If I can remember correctly, the only time the library was actually silent was during the school hours. It was never a good place to study before school because a lot the students would go in there to chill/talk before the first passing period came. (My senior class had over 400 students alone)
                  Last edited by Mahou; 01-26-2015, 01:34 PM.
                  Originally posted by lofty rhino
                  one does not simply hate everyone that plays stepmania
                  AND watch anime.

                  Comment

                  • Candor
                    FFR Player
                    • Dec 2011
                    • 266

                    #24
                    Re: A word of advice for new college students

                    Originally posted by hi19hi19
                    Also the school band likes to play in the libraries.


                    This was during reading period a few years ago. The band tried to bring some festive cheer to the computer lab before finals (also right before Christmas) and...



                    Mahou I basically imagine you as this guy haha
                    (also you have a point, don't get me wrong)
                    damn the world is a small place
                    Stepmania Guidelines

                    Comment

                    • andy-o24
                      Married Man
                      • May 2006
                      • 1527

                      #25
                      Re: A word of advice for new college students

                      My library here at campus has a basement level which in my experience is usually pretty quiet and a lot of international students seem to use that area.

                      Ground floor has a coffee/bagel shop off in the corner and reference books and most of the staff is on this level. Large section of computers on this floor as well, so it gets somewhat loud, but never to an uproar.

                      Second floor is freely connected to the ground floor and is also a casual study area where a lot of groups will meet to do work on projects, so there is talking. Also more computers here for doing work.

                      Third and fourth floor are separated from the second and ground floors and in my experience are pretty much dead silent. There are also rooms you can rent to have group meetings around exam times.


                      It must just be the people at your university making the noise an issue. Seems like from the responses and from my experience most people realize that libraries are for quiet studying.

                      Unrelated:
                      Originally posted by Mahou
                      (My senior class had over 400 students alone)
                      Mine was about 800 or something...

                      -o24
                      Originally posted by hi19hi19
                      Best strat: enjoy the game, play what you feel like when you feel like it. Don't think about what you are doing or why, enjoy the gameplay, the artistry behind the stepfile, and enjoy the music.

                      When the game isn't fun for you anymore, take a break. It's not a job, nobody here is professional and getting paid to play and force themselves to constantly improve... it's a game.

                      Originally posted by Shashakiro
                      Yeah, FFR is addicting...I don't think I'll get bored with this game unless I somehow become the best at it, which won't happen.

                      Comment

                      • Ohaider
                        FFR Veteran
                        • Jun 2012
                        • 2893

                        #26
                        Re: A word of advice for new college students

                        and actually go to class haha, i got 95+ percent on most all of my assignments/tests last semester and ended up with below 90% (some even 80%) in a lot of classes because attendance is huge regardless of whether or not you know the material

                        so this semester i'm forcing myself just to make it into the classroom before i fall asleep instead of just falling asleep at home and not going

                        Comment

                        • Charu
                          Snivy! Dohoho!
                          FFR Simfile Author
                          • Mar 2006
                          • 6207

                          #27
                          Re: A word of advice for new college students

                          Okay, Woowee, busy first quarter of my shift!

                          Had a guy come up to me and ask me "Why is Google not answering the question I'm asking?"


                          Originally posted by JohnRedWolf87
                          Charu the red-nosed Snivy
                          Had a very shiny nose
                          And if you ever saw it
                          You could even say it glows

                          All of the other Snivies
                          Used to laugh and call him names
                          They never let poor Charu
                          Join in any Snivy games

                          (Click the arrow to see the rest)


                          Originally posted by Vendetta21
                          All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.

                          Comment

                          • FF_rules
                            FF Veteran
                            • May 2006
                            • 668

                            #28
                            Re: A word of advice for new college students

                            Originally posted by Mahou
                            This has been a public service announcement from Mahou. Thanks.
                            We have a common section and a deafening silent section. If anyone is caught making sounds in the latter they're asked to kindly stfu or leave. That said; Common section is as loud as a cafeteria holy shit.

                            Comment

                            • Xayphon
                              sausage
                              FFR Simfile Author
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 1630

                              #29
                              Re: A word of advice for new college students

                              we don't have just one library, we have several libraries

                              first, we have the main library with 5 floors where everybody has access to, it covers a wide variety of subjects, also including a collection of a lot of historical treasures

                              then we have several faculty specific libraries, which are all located inside different buildings: one for law, one for medicine and one for anything math and science related

                              all of them are dead silent

                              we also have our own building just for the sake of chilling and talking to each other (the whole building is called O.A.S.E., which translates into oasis)

                              I've seen people sleep there that's how fucking chill it is
                              Last edited by Xayphon; 01-26-2015, 06:04 PM.

                              Comment

                              • FoJaR
                                The Worst
                                • Nov 2005
                                • 2816

                                #30
                                Re: A word of advice for new college students

                                i always used to sleep at the library. this one section had some cozy armchairs that i would slouch in.

                                Comment

                                Working...