What is the future of video games?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Omeganitros
    auauauau
    • Jun 2003
    • 8897

    #31
    Originally posted by GuidoHunter
    I don't think the technologically innovative (to an extreme) gadgets like the DS will catch on; for the most part, gamers want to stick to their roots and have the new technology go mainly towards graphics. Fullness of gameplay is where it's at. I expect players to have more and more freedom in their actions and a wider range of consequences in the future for all game types. Programmers now can do that, but it'd take much time and effort, and increase game sizes. I just think it'll be easier to expand the gameplay.
    That's where PC games conquer Console games.

    PC Gaming will always be in the future, that's for sure.

    Comment

    • Jam930
      FFR Player
      • Apr 2004
      • 1069

      #32
      I dont think so. Consoles are designed for gaming, much more room to expand. The computer is bogged down with all kinds of not-game related crap. Which is why consoles like the Xbox will always be way ahead of computers, in performance and price.
      -Jamie

      Comment

      • GuidoHunter
        is against custom titles
        • Oct 2003
        • 7371

        #33
        Originally posted by Jam930
        I dont think so. Consoles are designed for gaming, much more room to expand. The computer is bogged down with all kinds of not-game related crap. Which is why consoles like the Xbox will always be way ahead of computers, in performance and price.
        Jam, have you ever heard of Alienware? It's computers designed specifically for gaming. Computers are infinitely versatile, and can be upgraded the instant new technology is out while consoles have to wait for the next generation. Technologically, computers have the capability of always being ahead of consoles, but I'm a console gamer for the experience; I rarely play computer games.

        --Guido


        Originally posted by Grandiagod
        Originally posted by Grandiagod
        She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
        Sentences I thought I never would have to type.

        Comment

        • evilbutterfly
          FFR Player
          • Apr 2003
          • 5784

          #34
          Originally posted by Anticrombie0909
          You know you play too many videogames when you start thinking like me...the other day I walked past a lake, looked at it and thought "wow, nice water effects." It took me a full second to realize what I said.
          yeah, one time i was sleeping on the school bus, and when i woke up it was really bright outside. all i did was squint and think "damn gamma, why is it up so high!?" after a second i laughed at myself, but now it's my own little joke. whenever it's too bright i exclaim about how somebody set the gamma too high.
          So I've gone completely slack-ass and haven't done any work on creating games. =(

          In less-depressing news, I got a job for an online business (which sells non-electronic games, of all things!) which has taught me a lot about marketing online and all that jazz.

          So now I'm on Twitter @NoahWright.
          And I write the blog for their website.

          Plus I do cool programming in-house that you'll never see. =O

          Comment

          • Anticrombie0909
            FFR Player
            • Jul 2003
            • 4683

            #35
            Consoles are designed for gaming, much more room to expand.
            Nein. Computers will always be more versatile and one step ahead of consoles. Console gaming took a big step in the right direction with the addition of internet, because that alone was one of the major factors that put Computers at the head of the gaming market. Demos, patches, mods, all of that could be downloaded, whereas consoles cannot.

            Which is why consoles like the Xbox will always be way ahead of computers, in performance and price.
            Performance? Are you serious? The Xbox (far ahead of other consoles) runs a 733 Mhz P3, an integrated graphics card with a core clock of 300Mhz, 64 megs of RAM, little to no Anti Aliasing, no Anistropic filtering or Pixel Shading, and a maximum resolution of 1920x1080. Yeah, it's definitely higher performance.

            As for Price, well, I'll concede. However, look at it this way- you pay what you get for. A computer is infinitely more versatile than a console. I'd list the ways, but I'm lazy. I'm definitely willing to pay that extra $1000 for a customizable piece of ass that my friends drool over, instead of the same old boring black box that does the same old boring things. Also, if you're an FPS guy (like me), the keyboard and mouse setup is infinitely better than a gamepad. Always has been, always will be. Add that to a better selection of shooters (HL2, Doom III (clarification: Doom III with good graphics), Far Cry, UT2004, anyone?) and I'll choose the PC any day.

            Comment

            • Omeganitros
              auauauau
              • Jun 2003
              • 8897

              #36
              Well put, Anti. *High-five*

              Another example of PC being better: Does the X-Box have FFR or Stepmania? I think not.

              Comment

              • Moogy
                嗚呼
                FFR Simfile Author
                • Aug 2003
                • 10303

                #37
                Consoles > PC
                Plz visit my blog

                ^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved

                Comment

                • Omeganitros
                  auauauau
                  • Jun 2003
                  • 8897

                  #38
                  Good job Moogy, keeping the debate running. Now explain why Consoles > PC.

                  Comment

                  • Moogy
                    嗚呼
                    FFR Simfile Author
                    • Aug 2003
                    • 10303

                    #39
                    Because.
                    Plz visit my blog

                    ^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved

                    Comment

                    • Jam930
                      FFR Player
                      • Apr 2004
                      • 1069

                      #40
                      Originally posted by Anticrombie0909
                      Nein. Computers will always be more versatile and one step ahead of consoles. Console gaming took a big step in the right direction with the addition of internet, because that alone was one of the major factors that put Computers at the head of the gaming market. Demos, patches, mods, all of that could be downloaded, whereas consoles cannot.
                      False. Xbox live. You can download patches, new guns, levels and stuff. Voice communication.

                      Consoles have custom-made controllers, steering wheels, pedals, DDR Pads, and even guns like in this one game...forgot the name.

                      Originally posted by Anticrombie0909
                      Performance? Are you serious? The Xbox (far ahead of other consoles) runs a 733 Mhz P3, an integrated graphics card with a core clock of 300Mhz, 64 megs of RAM, little to no Anti Aliasing, no Anistropic filtering or Pixel Shading, and a maximum resolution of 1920x1080. Yeah, it's definitely higher performance.
                      Fact is, Xboxs are a standard console, easy to buy and use. Computers on the other hand, however are much more difficult.
                      -Jamie

                      Comment

                      • Arch0wl
                        Banned
                        FFR Simfile Author
                        • Dec 2002
                        • 6344

                        #41
                        Also, if you're an FPS guy (like me), the keyboard and mouse setup is infinitely better than a gamepad.
                        Yeah, because that's basically ALL the online games on the PC. FPS's, RTS's, and MMORPG's.

                        Yeah sure there's your occasional anomoly, but compare the quantity of those three genres to every other genre. Most games on the PC nowadays I find incredibly boring, all FPS's are essentially the same to me, the only RTS that really appeals to me is Warcraft 3: TFT but they can be diverse if they want to and MMORPG's can be really diverse as well so I'll give them that. Generally the FPS genre needs some innovation, not another war or military based FPS. Something not so grungy and dull... like Conker ported to the PC or something. Ever since Goldeneye, Conker's BFD, although not primarily FPS, had the most appealing FPS engine to me. Point being, I'm sick of playing as some retarded humanoid with some type of sniper rifle or machine gun or rocket launcher in some dull setting that's been done before 50 million times. Unfortunately no one in the "gaming" (if you could even call it that anymore) scene thinks like this so all we'll see for the next couple of years in terms of the online FPS genre is more military based and futuristic based first person shooters. Sure, we may see innovative FPS games on XBox Live or another console but we sure won't see it on the PC, which is probably the most important system.

                        Comment

                        • nogradya
                          FFR Player
                          • May 2004
                          • 42

                          #42
                          Why the trash receptical? Why that stupid piece of crap ? Xbox may have a few great games but all it is is a hardrive thrown into a box and given a name! At least in my opinion. PC is a lot better than that stupid Xbox!

                          Comment

                          • Omeganitros
                            auauauau
                            • Jun 2003
                            • 8897

                            #43
                            Originally posted by Arch0wl
                            Also, if you're an FPS guy (like me), the keyboard and mouse setup is infinitely better than a gamepad.
                            Yeah, because that's basically ALL the online games on the PC. FPS's, RTS's, and MMORPG's.

                            Yeah sure there's your occasional anomoly, but compare the quantity of those three genres to every other genre. Most games on the PC nowadays I find incredibly boring, all FPS's are essentially the same to me, the only RTS that really appeals to me is Warcraft 3: TFT but they can be diverse if they want to and MMORPG's can be really diverse as well so I'll give them that. Generally the FPS genre needs some innovation, not another war or military based FPS. Something not so grungy and dull... like Conker ported to the PC or something. Ever since Goldeneye, Conker's BFD, although not primarily FPS, had the most appealing FPS engine to me. Point being, I'm sick of playing as some retarded humanoid with some type of sniper rifle or machine gun or rocket launcher in some dull setting that's been done before 50 million times. Unfortunately no one in the "gaming" (if you could even call it that anymore) scene thinks like this so all we'll see for the next couple of years in terms of the online FPS genre is more military based and futuristic based first person shooters. Sure, we may see innovative FPS games on XBox Live or another console but we sure won't see it on the PC, which is probably the most important system.
                            Ever tried Natural Selection?

                            Comment

                            • Arch0wl
                              Banned
                              FFR Simfile Author
                              • Dec 2002
                              • 6344

                              #44
                              It looks like Unreal Tournament and looks like it still has all the boring FPS cliches. Maybe you didn't read through my post all that well.

                              Comment

                              • Omeganitros
                                auauauau
                                • Jun 2003
                                • 8897

                                #45
                                ...Um...It's nothing like Unreal Tournament. If you mean Onslaught mode, Natural Selection came way way way way WAY before that, and it's still not like Onslaught mode...And I would appreciate if you specify what cliches you find in the game...I read your post well enough, maybe you should try it first....

                                Comment

                                Working...