Tales of symphonia

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Squeek
    let it snow~
    • Jan 2004
    • 14444

    #31
    Re: Tales of symphonia

    Originally posted by tsugomaru
    80% by the way.
    I said 40% because the rest is plot, character development (oh wait this is Square we're talking about here), music and sound and graphics.

    I didn't mean in terms of how much of it takes up gameplay per hour.

    Also, computer AI isn't very good. They fixed a lot of issues in Abyss regarding this matter but they still tend to do the "blocking while backing up then run away" move too often. They just should be all-out offensive. Battles would end faster and they wouldn't take any damage.

    Comment

    • Shashakiro
      TWO THOUZAND COMBO
      FFR Simfile Author
      • Aug 2005
      • 9082

      #32
      Re: Tales of symphonia

      The AI is generally fairly weak in both games (WTF RAINE YOU ****TARD YOU DO NOT GO MELEE ATTACK THE ENEMY EVER HOLY **** NOW CAST REVITALIZE AGAIN YOU STUPID BITCH) but Colette is especially godawful.

      And SO3 is the worst RPG I've played, IMO. Towards the beginning it was fun, but oh my god the horrible plot twist crap and the balance of monster strength made zero sense throughout and the skills system and aacckk why did i play that game instead of finishing disgaea
      4th Official FFR Tournament - Master division champion!

      Originally posted by Boogiebear
      use ur bain. Itz there for a reason.

      Comment

      • Squeek
        let it snow~
        • Jan 2004
        • 14444

        #33
        Re: Tales of symphonia

        It's a shame because SO3's battle system is so much better than all of Final Fantasy's systems combined.

        But they can't stand up to Tales, which has been real-time battling ever since the first game on SNES.

        And yeah SO3 was weird in that you'd have enemies ten times your level just over a small land bridge and you'll just stumble over it and die instantly. Doesn't really make sense... you'd think the stronger enemies would kill the weaker enemies and take over the area. But no, they are faithful to their side of the bridge like all animals are.

        Comment

        • Shashakiro
          TWO THOUZAND COMBO
          FFR Simfile Author
          • Aug 2005
          • 9082

          #34
          Re: Tales of symphonia

          FFX actually has a solid battle system IMO, the ONE FF game where they got out of this ridiculously horrible "kind of real time but not really" **** it actually turned out very fun for me, but then they just brought it back again in later games =/

          FFX is solid IMO, not spectacular, but solid, and I saw it through to the end without quitting midway or getting incredibly bored. The others I've played, though...>_>

          and FF is never going to stand up to Tales for me. Make me an FF game so ****ing amazingly good that I play four times consecutively and get partway through my fifth before finally stopping (TotA) and then maybe I'll understand why it's so damn popular
          4th Official FFR Tournament - Master division champion!

          Originally posted by Boogiebear
          use ur bain. Itz there for a reason.

          Comment

          • Kinspin
            FFR Player
            • Nov 2006
            • 120

            #35
            Re: Tales of symphonia

            This was such a great game, that I think I'm about to play it.
            I liked the hunt for those demon items, not sure what they were called but after getting them all you have to fight that really hard boss.
            I also like collecting the costumes and rebuilding that one town.

            Comment

            • hi_top
              FFR Veteran
              • Jul 2007
              • 1427

              #36
              Re: Tales of symphonia

              I need to rebuy this game, my brother pawned it on em.

              Comment

              • Silver_Brian
                ¯\(°_o)/¯ ¯\(o_°)/¯
                FFR Simfile Author
                • Apr 2005
                • 5576

                #37
                Re: Tales of symphonia

                <-

                Although I didn't really play this game hardcore, I still played through about 4 times. I also got really used to using Lloyd, and so playing as anyone else was really weird. >_>

                Originally posted by Moogle-master
                i now have another excuse to grow a dick
                Originally posted by FishFishRevolution
                "i've seen your little boy's penis"

                Comment

                • Squeek
                  let it snow~
                  • Jan 2004
                  • 14444

                  #38
                  Re: Tales of symphonia

                  I'm glad the Tales series isn't yet dead in Japan.

                  Despite being on a Microsoft console, people there are buying them up like hotcakes. In fact, the entire country of Japan is sold out of Xbox 360s.

                  If only the 360 were cheaper. I'd totally get one for this game if I could get a used one for <$100 (with a warranty of course).

                  Comment

                  • zidart
                    FFR Player
                    • Oct 2006
                    • 964

                    #39
                    Re: Tales of symphonia

                    oh here we go again squeek and his baseless final fantasy/square-enix games "opinions" give it a rest, just because you don't like it doesn't mean is horrible and that the battle system is wrong, or anything >_> and for your information SO did the free running battles BEFORE Tales of series, (not that i like SO more than tales of but you gotta give credit where is deserved) "I said 40% because the rest is plot, character development (oh wait this is Square we're talking about here), music and sound and graphics." that right there made me realize you have really not played FF games with an open mind or at least get halfway through them =/.

                    i still stand when i say both ToS and ToTA are impossible for me to decide which one is better but if ToS2 combines the battle system of ToTA with the universe and the unison attacks of ToS then that might be my favorite, then again i'm getting a 360 soon for tales of vesperia, it sucks for those who have no money =P.

                    Comment

                    • tsugomaru
                      FFR Player
                      • Aug 2004
                      • 3962

                      #40
                      Re: Tales of symphonia

                      To be fair, the story lines that Square writes are fairly good. The characters, however, tend to be on the more "failing" side of things. He is right that all the characters may not be the most realistic thing and at times, extremely cliche. But seriously, if you think about it, what isn't cliche anymore? The characters are all unique in their own way while still having some "cliche" characteristics.

                      ~Tsugomaru
                      Originally posted by Hiluluk
                      WHEN do you think people die...?
                      When their heart is pierced by a bullet from a pistol...? No.
                      When they succumb to an incurable disease...? No.
                      When they drink soup made with a poisonous mushroom...? NO!!!
                      IT'S WHEN A PERSON IS FORGOTTEN...!!!

                      Comment

                      • Shashakiro
                        TWO THOUZAND COMBO
                        FFR Simfile Author
                        • Aug 2005
                        • 9082

                        #41
                        Re: Tales of symphonia

                        Oh, I should pre-order vesperia. If they don't **** it up it has the potential to be my new all-time favorite RPG.

                        if I can't use tech house's 360 next year I've gotta buy one...i own too many games for that console now to not have access to it for more than a summer.
                        4th Official FFR Tournament - Master division champion!

                        Originally posted by Boogiebear
                        use ur bain. Itz there for a reason.

                        Comment

                        • BloodDemonRayoku
                          FFR Player
                          • Dec 2007
                          • 5

                          #42
                          Originally posted by -Yukari-
                          Mother****er, I just found this thread. +1 for foilman.

                          Yeah yeah, I spent hundreds of hours playing this game, literally. I had multiple playthroughs and ALMOST had everything unlocked before my disc 1 mysteriously disappeared (don't ask me how I'm dumb enough to lose a disc of my 2nd favorite game lol).

                          I liked to use Lloyd, Sheena, Presea and Regal. Please don't give me **** about using Sheena, she comboed well, which was fun. If you liked Zelos, kudos, he was good too but didn't have the big chest.

                          I only got as high as level 102 or something, but IMO the higher the level the less skill you exhibit. I was able to beat the game at level 42 or something, which takes actual skill rather than having a higher number than your opponents.

                          Haha Sweet 102. -.- still can't get there,
                          I'll give you points on that one beating the game on level 42 is amazing
                          I remember the first time i tried to beat abyssion.
                          ... <<; i used a flippin All-Divide XD which took me like 2 hrs longer to do
                          I dont understand why people would you ish for using sheena
                          sheena's is actually a decent Person to use espicaly since when raine is dead sheena can pop out a Purgatory Seal,
                          Zelos my second main man, but i wont bug about HOOOOOOW GOOD He is. XD
                          I found basicly, everything
                          just a few things missing
                          The best maze in the game would probably be the Soul Fire Quest,
                          Lol,

                          Party: Llyod, Genis, Zelos Sheena, or Llyod, Zelos Sheena, Genis
                          ^^v

                          Originally posted by Shashakiro
                          The AI is generally fairly weak in both games (WTF RAINE YOU ****TARD YOU DO NOT GO MELEE ATTACK THE ENEMY EVER HOLY **** NOW CAST REVITALIZE AGAIN YOU STUPID BITCH) but Colette is especially godawful.

                          And SO3 is the worst RPG I've played, IMO. Towards the beginning it was fun, but oh my god the horrible plot twist crap and the balance of monster strength made zero sense throughout and the skills system and aacckk why did i play that game instead of finishing disgaea
                          Did it ever kill you to use the option that states
                          The Battle formation
                          In which you can TELL RAINE TO NOT ATTACK AT ALL AND JUST HEAL?

                          noo. i guess not,
                          next time before b**** look at everything from the game,
                          Last edited by Squeek; 08-20-2008, 08:14 PM. Reason: don't double post

                          Comment

                          • Squeek
                            let it snow~
                            • Jan 2004
                            • 14444

                            #43
                            Re: Tales of symphonia

                            Originally posted by tsugomaru
                            But seriously, if you think about it, what isn't cliche anymore?
                            Tales games.

                            You haven't played Abyss. You would have a different opinion on expected standards after playing it.

                            oh here we go again squeek and his baseless final fantasy/square-enix games "opinions" give it a rest, just because you don't like it doesn't mean is horrible and that the battle system is wrong, or anything >_> and for your information SO did the free running battles BEFORE Tales of series, (not that i like SO more than tales of but you gotta give credit where is deserved) "I said 40% because the rest is plot, character development (oh wait this is Square we're talking about here), music and sound and graphics." that right there made me realize you have really not played FF games with an open mind or at least get halfway through them =/.
                            It's not baseless. I've played them.

                            Star Ocean may have done it first (I don't think they did), but Tales did it right. More often than not I missed swings in Star Ocean 3 because I couldn't tell if I was lined up or not. Tales resets your 1v1 line of sight after you release the free run button so you're guaranteed to be lined up with your target.

                            I played FFX long before I played a Tales game. The only other RPG I played to that point was Pokemon. Where would my bias come from?

                            Yes, I did not finish FFX, but there was absolutely no character development in the 30 hours I played. I did not finish Chrono Trigger, but there was no character development in the amount of time I played that. I finished Star Ocean 3 and there was no character development at all. None.

                            Originally posted by BloodDemonRayoku
                            Did it ever kill you to use the option that states
                            The Battle formation
                            In which you can TELL RAINE TO NOT ATTACK AT ALL AND JUST HEAL?

                            noo. i guess not,
                            next time before b**** look at everything from the game,
                            He put 500 hours into the game. I think he knows what he's talking about.

                            I told Raine "heal only" and she would melee attack. It happens. You cannot stop it.

                            Comment

                            • zidart
                              FFR Player
                              • Oct 2006
                              • 964

                              #44
                              Re: Tales of symphonia

                              Originally posted by Squeek
                              Tales games.

                              You haven't played Abyss. You would have a different opinion on expected standards after playing it.



                              It's not baseless. I've played them.

                              Star Ocean may have done it first (I don't think they did), but Tales did it right. More often than not I missed swings in Star Ocean 3 because I couldn't tell if I was lined up or not. Tales resets your 1v1 line of sight after you release the free run button so you're guaranteed to be lined up with your target.

                              I played FFX long before I played a Tales game. The only other RPG I played to that point was Pokemon. Where would my bias come from?

                              Yes, I did not finish FFX, but there was absolutely no character development in the 30 hours I played. I did not finish Chrono Trigger, but there was no character development in the amount of time I played that. I finished Star Ocean 3 and there was no character development at all. None.
                              i played abyss and i admit their characters are not 100% cliche but the story doesn't hold any water compared to others, the characters are my favorite thing of it, but every other part is just ok in my opinion.

                              ohhh yes you played them.... you played so many final fantasy games that you can judge the whole franchise... no i mean the whole company.

                              is obvious you are biased......

                              stop trying to transform opinions into facts, really i thought you knew your english IV =/.

                              oh and please stop lying because in a previous post in the final fantasy thread you clearly said you only played for 20 hours which sounds pretty much ridiculous and harsh because if i recall correctly most plot twists in tales of games happen after long hours of playing, yet you only gave this game 20 hours??? and didn't even try to see what happens later in the game? (i got 99 hours to get everything in the game but that's another story)
                              Last edited by zidart; 08-20-2008, 08:25 PM.

                              Comment

                              • Squeek
                                let it snow~
                                • Jan 2004
                                • 14444

                                #45
                                Re: Tales of symphonia

                                No, I haven't played all of them. I've said that so many times now.

                                I played one and that one game convinced me not to play the others because it was really, really bad. My Square bias comes from not liking any of the games I've played from them (except Super Mario RPG). It's as simple as that.

                                And I just remembered that I've played two Final Fantasy games actually. Crystal Chronicles. Which was HORRIBLE.

                                First impressions are lasting. I can't remember ever playing a sequel to a game that I didn't like. Why would anyone want to do that?

                                I didn't like Metal Gear Solid. I didn't buy MGS2 or MGS3.
                                I didn't like Resident Evil 0. I didn't play Resident Evil 4 (despite owning it).
                                I didn't like Animal Crossing. I won't be buying Animal Crossing Wii.
                                I didn't like Pikmin. I didn't buy Pikmin 2 and I probably won't buy Pikmin 3 unless they fix what I hated about the first two.

                                See that last line? Fixing what I don't like? Final Fantasy never did that. I realized after playing Symphonia and Baten Kaitos that most turn-based systems are boring. I was excited to hear Final Fantasy 12 would have a real-time battle system, but that was a lie. It was just a horrible attempt at making a real-time battle system. I don't have a PS3 or a 360 so I'm not even worrying about FF13, but let's hope they can make a working battle system.

                                Also, I state my opinions this way. That's just what I do. It's up to you to realize when I'm speaking with facts and when I'm speaking with opinions.

                                Comment

                                Working...