What Games For The Wii Are You Most Looking Forward To?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Chromer
    Hookers and Blow
    • Jul 2003
    • 4981

    #31
    Re: What Games For The Wii Are You Most Looking Forward To?

    Wow Squeek and Pyro, did you guys forget that Red Steel and Trauma Center were launch titles? I would think an audience starving for other titles than just Minigames would latch on to whatever was given to them.

    Squeek, pull all the statistics you want out. Hell, you been doing it for almost a whole damn year. I can't wait to see what bull**** you pull from your ass when WiiFit comes out. Oh God, this is going to be classic.

    Comment

    • zidart
      FFR Player
      • Oct 2006
      • 964

      #32
      Re: What Games For The Wii Are You Most Looking Forward To?

      you got that wrong chromer, those are good games therefore people bought them

      Comment

      • Squeek
        let it snow~
        • Jan 2004
        • 14444

        #33
        Re: What Games For The Wii Are You Most Looking Forward To?

        Originally posted by Chromer
        Wow Squeek and Pyro, did you guys forget that Red Steel and Trauma Center were launch titles? I would think an audience starving for other titles than just Minigames would latch on to whatever was given to them.

        Squeek, pull all the statistics you want out. Hell, you been doing it for almost a whole damn year. I can't wait to see what bull**** you pull from your ass when WiiFit comes out. Oh God, this is going to be classic.
        You honestly think people just buy games because they don't want another game? Seriously?

        "EWW MINIGAMES I'LL TAKE ANY OTHER GAME INSTEAD!"

        People never buy games without knowing about them beforehand. I've never seen ANYONE go to a store and randomly point to some game and say "I want that". Heck, if you didn't want mini-games, why not get Ice Age or Open Season or any other Disney crap they have out there?

        When people decide to buy a game, it's because they've done at least a little bit of research into it before deciding it'd be worthwhile. Whether that research is just word of mouth from their friends or whatever saying "Yeah this game is good!" or it's actual research into what a bunch of people are saying about it, watching previews, gameplay trailers, etc. Or even just reading the back of the box in the store. There's always knowledge about a game before the purchase.

        If people didn't want Mini-games, Zelda existed to prevent that. And if Zelda weren't there, there's another solution: JUST WAIT IT OUT. Games WILL be released! But who's to say mini-games are bad, anyway? WarioWare is one of the most enjoyable party game I've ever seen.

        Also, what do you mean about Wii Fit? It'll probably sell through as well as Wii Play did. So what about it? There ARE people out there who want to have a fun exercise device. Heck, look at DDR! There are a bunch of people who play DDR just to have a fun workout!

        Of course, I won't be buying Wii Fit because I'm fine as it is and it looks stupid.

        And once again, Nintendo can't regulate the fact that a bunch of companies are too uncreative to come up with anything other than mini-games. Not their fault.

        Personally, I see your argument as more of a backlash against the PS3. There's literally nothing on the PS3 right now, so hey, buy Resistance! Or Motorstorm! There won't be anything until Metal Gear / Devil May Cry / etc. come out anyway, but we need games!
        Last edited by Squeek; 08-18-2007, 11:06 PM.

        Comment

        • Bahamut-X
          FFR Player
          FFR Simfile Author
          • Nov 2004
          • 3399

          #34
          Re: What Games For The Wii Are You Most Looking Forward To?

          I've been in love with the Metroid Prime Series since the beginning, can't wait for Corruption. Might help to buy a Wii first though >_>

          And Chromer, it might help to take a realistic approach rather than acting purely on your resentment of nintendo.

          Comment

          • zidart
            FFR Player
            • Oct 2006
            • 964

            #35
            Re: What Games For The Wii Are You Most Looking Forward To?

            chromer always makes a simple thread into a fight to show his actitude of "i hate the wii"

            the thing was simple, just say the games you were looking foward , if you wanted to comment of the games you want, that's fine.

            but you started bashing the games other people liked, i know it's your opinion but if you're gonna say it with that actitude then keep it to yourself
            Last edited by zidart; 08-19-2007, 12:22 AM.

            Comment

            • Chromer
              Hookers and Blow
              • Jul 2003
              • 4981

              #36
              Re: What Games For The Wii Are You Most Looking Forward To?

              Zidart, spell correctly before you try to reprimand. I don't hate the Wii. I've been a Nintendo fan ever since I played the NES. Then I got older and realized that the same gimicky Nintendo I used to love wasn't as great as I thought. Now with the Wii, I just see it as a popular fad that will fade out once people realize how shallow the system really is.

              Comment

              • Squeek
                let it snow~
                • Jan 2004
                • 14444

                #37
                Re: What Games For The Wii Are You Most Looking Forward To?

                I don't care if it is just a popular fad, though I firmly believe it isn't.

                It's a breath of fresh air is what it is. In an age where 16-28 males are looked down on for being "nerds who play video games all day" and sitting in our parent's basements with our gizmos and gadgets wasting our lives, in comes the Wii. Now video gaming isn't seen as a terrible waste of time. Suddenly games aren't just about killing people. They're about having fun.

                I'm not against Sony or Microsoft's consoles. I'm against the lack of original content. So far, the 360 has one original game: Viva Pinata. And the two consoles will be getting Rock Band, so credit for that (although it's said that a Wii version is in the works as well). But that's it. Every other game that sells is an FPS, sports game, or racing game. And I'll be honest. I'm tired of those. I've been playing FPS, sports, and racing games for 17 years of my life now. Original content is desperately needed. One in about a hundred will be any good. And that one is Unreal Tournament 3... but that's primarily a PC game and as such, I'll be buying it for my PC.

                Comment

                • Relambrien
                  FFR Player
                  • Dec 2006
                  • 1644

                  #38
                  Re: What Games For The Wii Are You Most Looking Forward To?

                  To be honest, very few Wii games appeal to me. Nintendo's on a streak of coming up with a completely new style of play with each new system they create (DS touch screen, Wii motion sensing, etc), and these styles seem to be totally abused in most of the games for these systems. They aren't used as a useful feature for more variety; they're the core of the system. Every Wii game I've played so far has relied almost exclusively on the motion sensing aspect as the main focus of the control system. After the novelty wears off, it just becomes tedious. I'd rather play a game where how well I do is based on how well I think, explore, and discover, not how well I can swing a conductor's baton (or perform other motion sensing actions).

                  It's for this reason I prefer a more conventional control scheme. Pressing buttons and moving analog sticks takes much of the required thought process away from getting things to move the way you want, allowing you to think (and therefore, to create games where you have to think) more critically about the game itself.

                  That's the same reason I didn't like the DS. I expected the second screen to be used as a convenient area to monitor game data while the game itself was played using the buttons on the DS itself and the top screen. But no, instead you have to be able to draw specific lines on the second screen using the stylus, or other such things.

                  The problem with games being made for Nintendo systems is that instead of companies thinking of a way to incorporate the system's innovations in such a way as to complement and improve gameplay, they build the game around the system, making most of the games fairly gimmicky.

                  Even Nintendo's commercials show this. Their commercials show more footage of the players themselves than the game they advertise. This tells me that they're not telling you to buy the game because it's a good game, but because the control system gets you more immersed into the game.

                  Squeek, you said that it's not Nintendo's fault companies can't come up with anything better than minigames. But when you have a system designed solely around the motion-sensing aspect of the controls, it's difficult to make a fun game otherwise. You can't use a conventional control style because the controller isn't suited for it, so you're forced to try and come up with a way to make a control setup that gives you the same amount of precision, ease of navigation, and variety while using only motion and two or three buttons.

                  Example. I bought Twilight Princess expecting it to impress me with a captivating story and all the other things that made previous Zelda games good. Instead, I find that the story is horribly clich? and the puzzles aren't anywhere near as challenging as I expected. I got near the end and just quit because I was bored. It seemed like far too much work was put into finding a way to use the motion-sensing to the game's advantage, and too little was put into making the game itself good. People may disagree with me, but personally, I found Twilight Princess just plain boring.

                  Originally posted by Squeek
                  Suddenly games aren't just about killing people. They're about having fun.
                  To me, it's more like this: Suddenly, games aren't just about thinking about the best way to handle a situation. They're about being able to manipulate the controller to do what you want it to do. And I completely fail to see how that is even remotely fun. If I could control a game just by thinking, I'd do it. Why? Because I'm more concerned about how much a game makes you think and analyze than how much it makes you press buttons on or move a controller.

                  Originally posted by Squeek
                  Every other game that sells is an FPS, sports game, or racing game.
                  You seem to have forgotten RPGs (e.g. Fable 2), platformers, flight simulators (e.g. Ace Combat 6), "management" games (e.g. Overlord), and fighters (e.g. the upcoming Soul Calibur IV). Granted, most of the games I've named have yet to be released, and yes, -most- current 360 and PS3 games are among the genres you named, but that should tell you something. If those are the popular genres, then that means those are the genres people want.

                  Originally posted by Squeek
                  Original content is desperately needed.
                  Original, non-gimmicky content is desperately needed. I find the Wii to be horribly gimmicky. An example of an original non-gimmicky game was Super Smash Bros. and its sequel, Melee. Fighting didn't have anything to do with killing your opponent; all you had to do was knock them off of the stage. Characters have a set series of techniques with few "combos;" it's the player's job to combine these techniques along with clever movement to create their own combos. Stages have dynamic effects which can change the flow of battle, as opposed to just a ring in the middle of something with no dynamic anything, as in most 1-on-1 fighters (games like Tekken).

                  SSB and SSBM were original and creative fighters that didn't rely on a specific gimmick for success. They took original concepts and melded them together into a great game. Those are the types of games we need to be seeing more of: games with creative objectives, stories, and gameplay styles that can cater to the player and rely more on the player's ability to think and act rather than his ability to move a controller a certain way.
                  Last edited by Relambrien; 08-19-2007, 01:44 AM.

                  Comment

                  • Squeek
                    let it snow~
                    • Jan 2004
                    • 14444

                    #39
                    Re: What Games For The Wii Are You Most Looking Forward To?

                    Perhaps you just haven't played the games that don't rely solely on motion-sensing to work.

                    Among the 8 games I own, Elebits, Trauma Center, Red Steel, and Super Paper Mario are not motion-sensing dependent. The first three use the infrared pointer to interact with the screen (some better than others... looking at you Red Steel). Very rarely in the game will any motion-sensing take place. For example, Elebits requires you to rotate your wrist on things you twist, like doorknobs and faucets. Red Steel uses a flick of the nunchuck to open doors and reload. And that's it. Super Paper Mario only uses motion-sensing for silly things like Stylish maneuvers and recovering from status ailments.

                    Wow, 4/8 games I own aren't gimmicky motion-sensing crap. Imagine that!

                    Now, I know Super Paper Mario was going to be a Gamecube game. Could it have been? Yes. Very little changed. All they added was a pointer-help with Tippi and some motion-sensing for little things. However, Trauma Center and Elebits could never be on Gamecube. Or even PC for that matter. The way they were designed to work around the hardware was perfect. And if you ever get a chance to play them, I highly recommend that you do so.

                    If other developers take a hint from Atlus and Konami's work with early releases, we're bound to see non-gimmicky AAA titles on Wii within a year. On top of what we already know about with Brawl and Prime 3, of course. And I still won't see any decent games on 360 / PS3 that couldn't have been done on their predecessors or a PC.

                    I hear the argument all the time. "This could've been a Gamecube game". Yeah, but have you ever thought about it for your own console? As I recall, Grand Theft Auto worked just fine on PS2 / Xbox. They're adding meaningless things into the game for fluff to make it work with the 360 and PS3. Racing and sports games were just fine on PS2 and Xbox. Again, more pointless updates like tiny graphical detail changes make it an ALL NEW game!!!1

                    At least the difference between Gamecube and Wii isn't just a few more pixels of detail, you know.
                    Last edited by Squeek; 08-19-2007, 03:02 AM.

                    Comment

                    • zidart
                      FFR Player
                      • Oct 2006
                      • 964

                      #40
                      Re: What Games For The Wii Are You Most Looking Forward To?

                      you see it like a gimmick, others see it as a boost in gaming,

                      anyway back to the topic, squeek you were right dewy's adventure looks like a awesome game i'll add it to my list

                      Comment

                      • Relambrien
                        FFR Player
                        • Dec 2006
                        • 1644

                        #41
                        Re: What Games For The Wii Are You Most Looking Forward To?

                        Originally posted by Squeek
                        Perhaps you just haven't played the games that don't rely solely on motion-sensing to work.
                        Quite probable. After playing five or six games and finding out that every single one of them relied on motion-sensing, I just stopped buying Wii games.

                        Originally posted by Squeek
                        Among the 8 games I own, Elebits, Trauma Center, Red Steel, and Super Paper Mario are not motion-sensing dependent. The first three use the infrared pointer to interact with the screen (some better than others... looking at you Red Steel). Very rarely in the game will any motion-sensing take place. For example, Elebits requires you to rotate your wrist on things you twist, like doorknobs and faucets. Red Steel uses a flick of the nunchuck to open doors and reload. And that's it. Super Paper Mario only uses motion-sensing for silly things like Stylish maneuvers and recovering from status ailments.
                        And these minor actions of twisting faucets and doorknobs, opening doors, and the like all detract from the fun of the game. I fail to see how moving the controller to twist a doorknob makes the game any more fun than pressing a button to do the same.

                        You made a note about Red Steel. That's one of the first games I played on Wii, and I hated it. Apparently, I'm not the only who noticed the infrared pointer was bad in that game.

                        Originally posted by Squeek
                        Wow, 4/8 games I own aren't gimmicky motion-sensing crap. Imagine that!
                        I included using the controller as menu navigation and pointers as motion-sensing. I probably should have differentiated between knowing where the controller is (infrared pointer) and knowing how the controller is moving (motion-sensing), but by "motion-sensing" I mean to include the pointer. Which, in fact, makes Red Steel part of the category I was referring to, and while I haven't played Elebits or Trauma Center, I can say from personal experience that Super Paper Mario was a bad game.

                        Oh, and only half of your games aren't gimmicky motion-sensing crap? That's horribly low in my opinion. One or two gimmicks in eight is alright, but four? Just goes to show just how much developers are relying on the motion-sensing technology to be the core of the game. Which, as I said, is the problem.

                        Originally posted by Squeek
                        Now, I know Super Paper Mario was going to be a Gamecube game. Could it have been? Yes. Very little changed. All they added was a pointer-help with Tippi and some motion-sensing for little things. However, Trauma Center and Elebits could never be on Gamecube. Or even PC for that matter. The way they were designed to work around the hardware was perfect. And if you ever get a chance to play them, I highly recommend that you do so.
                        I doubt I will, since having to move the controller for anything seriously takes away the fun value of a game for me. Like I said, I'd love to be able to play games just by thinking. The less motion required, the better.

                        Originally posted by Squeek
                        If other developers take a hint from Atlus and Konami's work with early releases, we're bound to see non-gimmicky AAA titles on Wii within a year. On top of what we already know about with Brawl and Prime 3, of course. And I still won't see any decent games on 360 / PS3 that couldn't have been done on their predecessors or a PC.
                        I'm actually looking forward to Brawl. Why? Because based on my experiences with SSB and SSBM, I'm certain that it will actually be creative and original without being gimmicky. Partly because you can use a Gamecube controller to play it.

                        As for Metroid Prime 3...eh, I just never cared for the Metroid series.

                        Originally posted by Squeek
                        I hear the argument all the time. "This could've been a Gamecube game". Yeah, but have you ever thought about it for your own console? As I recall, Grand Theft Auto worked just fine on PS2 / Xbox. They're adding meaningless things into the game for fluff to make it work with the 360 and PS3. Racing and sports games were just fine on PS2 and Xbox. Again, more pointless updates like tiny graphical detail changes make it an ALL NEW game!!!1

                        At least the difference between Gamecube and Wii isn't just a few more pixels of detail, you know.
                        If the gameplay style has been successful, there's no reason to change it. People will still like it, so long as there is sufficient improvement in other categories to warrant purchasing a new game. Features and graphical updates are probably the most important of these. Take Madden for example. It's been roughly the same type of gameplay for years, but new features and more realistic graphics make each game better enough than the last to warrant buying it.

                        Anyway, as long as Nintendo and their developers keep making the kinds of games they've been making, I won't be buying much more for the Wii. But if they can start focusing more on using the motion-detection and infrared system to complement the game, rather than the other way around, then there's hope yet.

                        Comment

                        • Squeek
                          let it snow~
                          • Jan 2004
                          • 14444

                          #42
                          Re: What Games For The Wii Are You Most Looking Forward To?

                          I gotta say, I wasn't really looking forward to Umbrella Chronicles before since I didn't really enjoy the Resident Evil series (though to be honest, I still haven't played my copy of RE4), but man I'm glad I saw preview trailers for it.



                          Edit: le sigh. I've been replied to.

                          Ok, I personally don't have a problem with motion controls as long as they work properly and are associated well with the gameplay. I don't like gimmicky tack-on controls. So far, the only game to do that was Super Monkey Ball's mini-games. Which are horrible, horrible excuses for games with the exception of Monkey Target. However, the single player is absolutely perfect. Zelda was done right, WarioWare was done right, and I'm quite certain the motion controls will be integrated in Metroid Prime 3 juuust fine.

                          See, I look at Elebits. There's very little in the way of motion controls. Doorknobs, faucets, drawers, whatever. But you know what? I prefer it that way. I don't press a button to open my door when I want to leave my room. I turn the knob. Turning the controller to do so is completely natural. That way, I CAN play without thinking. I don't have to go "OK, door, what button was that?" I go "Ok, door, I bet I can open it by turning my wrist like I'm opening a door. Hey, imagine that!"

                          But hey, you're you and I'm me. I was never interested in a Madden game before in my life. Then I see motion controls on the Wii game and was actually interested in it. 'course, it's still Madden, so I didn't buy it. But the fact that I actually considered it is a pretty huge shift to me.
                          Last edited by Squeek; 08-19-2007, 01:07 PM.

                          Comment

                          • Relambrien
                            FFR Player
                            • Dec 2006
                            • 1644

                            #43
                            Re: What Games For The Wii Are You Most Looking Forward To?

                            Originally posted by Squeek
                            See, I look at Elebits. There's very little in the way of motion controls. Doorknobs, faucets, drawers, whatever. But you know what? I prefer it that way. I don't press a button to open my door when I want to leave my room. I turn the knob. Turning the controller to do so is completely natural. That way, I CAN play without thinking. I don't have to go "OK, door, what button was that?" I go "Ok, door, I bet I can open it by turning my wrist like I'm opening a door. Hey, imagine that!"
                            And that's what I don't like. In a conventional game, there's generally a specific "action button" or "general button," one that performs a variety of functions depending on the conditions at the time of the button press. With such a button, you don't have to think about what you have to press; come up to something, hit the action button, learn what it does. Use this knowledge to solve puzzles or things like that.

                            It's so much easier than "Okay door, turn the controller, button, push the controller in, box, hold B and pull the controller toward me..."

                            But you seem to value realism. I value the mental stimulation given by the game itself. I'd rather not spend 5 minutes trying to figure out why I can't reload when I realize that I'm not flicking the controller to the right far enough.

                            Oh, and you said that you'd looked at a Madden game for Wii because of the way the controls were implemented. Sports games I actually agree would be perfect for motion sensing. After all, sports games are supposed to be simulating a physical activity, whereas other games simulate situations where a problem must be solved.

                            Now, I don't know how the Madden controls work on the Wii, but if it's something like "Use the nunchuk to select a receiver, snap the controller forward to throw," then it would work. What would be even better would be depending on the trajectory of the simulated throw, the ball either flies high or beelines for the target. That would be a great application of the motion sensing system, because the system complements the game. The game isn't made to incorporate the system, the system is used to better the game.

                            Like you said though. You're you and I'm me.

                            Comment

                            • Pyroshock
                              ε=-dΦ/dt
                              FFR Music Producer
                              • Jul 2006
                              • 1170

                              #44
                              Re: What Games For The Wii Are You Most Looking Forward To?

                              You describe opening a door as like a 5-step process, but it's not. You twist your wrist. That's it. As easy, if not easier than pushing a button. Given, I don't know if in Elebits all you have to do is turn your wrist, but in Red Steel opening a door was fluid and natural feeling.

                              The controls using the Wiimote weren't the best of implementations in Red Steel, but I felt that reloading, door-opening, and other nunchuck-controlled actions worked fine. If I needed to reload by flicking the nunchuck in a certain direction, and it didn't take, my next action would be to flick it harder and farther in the direction. That takes, what, 2 seconds. Not 5 minutes.

                              I haven't played Elebits, but I have to agree with Squeek that the infrared controls were done perfectly in Trauma Center. I didn't have to think about any of the infrared controls during the game, ever. It just came naturally.

                              EDIT: To Squeek: Yeah the zapper looks like it would be really fun for the game. The demo of the game seemed pretty slow-paced while he played, but I'm sure it'll be really fun once release time arrives.
                              Last edited by Pyroshock; 08-19-2007, 01:39 PM.

                              Comment

                              • Squeek
                                let it snow~
                                • Jan 2004
                                • 14444

                                #45
                                Re: What Games For The Wii Are You Most Looking Forward To?

                                Elebits... it's really one of those games I can't fully describe.

                                There is no 5-minute door opening. You're shooting your laser everywhere and when you hover the crosshairs over a doorknob, the "twist" icon shows up. You zap the door and hold it like you would when lifting or moving any other object in the game, twist the remote, and it opens. It's almost exactly like just pressing "A" on the door with just a half-second more dedicated to the game making sure you actually want to open the door by means of detecting whether you're rotating the controller or not.

                                And of course, it's only a 90 degree turn. Simple. I mean, it's more realistic than walking up to a door with W and pressing E to open it. It doesn't remove anything from the game in terms of mental stimulation. In fact, it makes it that much more immersive.

                                But there's much more, and it's the reason Elebits shines. See, you can pick up nearly everything in the game after a certain point. Not only that, but when you're holding it in the air, you can move it around. Not just left, right, up, and down either. You can spin it 360 degrees. You can pull it toward you or push it away from you. And there are a lot of times where these motions are necessary to finding more Elebits. None of these things could be handled by a mouse & keyboard setup. Elebits is truly a Wii game through and through.

                                Pyro, that's because it's a demo made for E3. That's not the finished product, obviously.

                                Try this video too: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21287.html

                                Looks like you play through the entire Resident Evil story, from Zero to 4.

                                Oh, and Amazon has it as being released November 1st. Don't know where they get their information from. They also say it'll sell for $50. I don't know if that is with or without the Zapper.
                                Last edited by Squeek; 08-19-2007, 02:19 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...