Led Zepplin, The Who, and other classic rock band permissions made possible

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Afrobean
    Admiral in the Red Army
    • Dec 2003
    • 13262

    #31
    Re: Led Zepplin, The Who, and other classic rock band permissions made possible

    Originally posted by Patashu
    because ffr has the same budget and target audience as harmonix
    By the degree that FFR's audience and budget are smaller, so too would the profit margins.

    Big ****ing deal. This kind of thing would be good to make FFR a better place, a better game, not to line Synth's wallets. Again, I feel that I need to say that this sort of thing would be good even if the sales ended up not even breaking even on the licensing investment.

    anything that I would agree to doing along the lines discussed in this thread would be a revenue share model, not a licensing model. And support tokens would definitely be part of the model. With a rev share, you have 0 upfront cost.
    That makes sense too, but would you really be able to entice them too much with that? Might look pretty good to unsigned in-house artists and stuff, or less mainstream signed artists/bands, but would you be able to walk up to The Island Def Jam Music Group and offer that sort of deal to get permission for Fall Out Boy's new album? We'd have better luck getting free permission for Fall Out Boy's older stuff (incidentally, what ever happened to Mr. DrugstoreCowboy taking care of that? The Fueled by Ramen stuff, or maybe the Uprising Records album?).

    Comment

    • Tasselfoot
      Retired BOSS
      FFR Simfile Author
      • Jul 2003
      • 25185

      #32
      Re: Led Zepplin, The Who, and other classic rock band permissions made possible

      like crack. crack draws people in.

      ps - the album is 7 bucks, not 10.
      RIP

      Comment

      • woker-X
        .... :.. .:. ::
        FFR Simfile Author
        • Mar 2007
        • 1040

        #33
        Re: Led Zepplin, The Who, and other classic rock band permissions made possible

        I like crack.

        In.






        I think it's a bad idea to put popular songs in-game...

        I love FFR because I find music I've never heard before; that is what makes FFR special.
        Last edited by woker-X; 12-3-2008, 05:40 PM.

        Comment

        • thechild
          FFR Player
          • Feb 2007
          • 1642

          #34
          Re: Led Zepplin, The Who, and other classic rock band permissions made possible

          If you actually pay $1000 for a song I'm going to unsub because that will show how badly my money is being used.

          Comment

          • Xx{Midnight}xX
            FFR Player
            • Aug 2007
            • 8548

            #35
            Re: Led Zepplin, The Who, and other classic rock band permissions made possible

            Originally posted by woker-X
            I think it's a bad idea to put popular songs in-game...

            I love FFR because I find music I've never heard before; that is what makes FFR special.
            Agreed

            Comment

            • DJAirWave
              Why am I still here?
              FFR Music Producer
              • Jul 2008
              • 683

              #36
              Re: Led Zepplin, The Who, and other classic rock band permissions made possible

              Originally posted by woker-X
              I think it's a bad idea to put popular songs in-game...

              I love FFR because I find music I've never heard before; that is what makes FFR special.
              I agree when it comes to the unique music making FFR special, but I disagree on putting popular music in FFR.

              I don't mean popular music by all time hits/classics, but it's possible to put well known music on FFR, like Basshunter. I retrieved music permission from Ephexis with ease. If you don't know who Ephexis is, listen to the UK hit song Krater. Ephexis supplied Infinite Dimensions with their gear so I can also get music permission from him after a good conversation.

              Before I begin typing a novel (blame my mother for long typing habits), I'll sum it up. It's not a bad idea to get permission from popular music in general, but it really isn't a wise thing to try to get the hit of the century for FFR.

              Comment

              • kommisar[os]
                Banned
                • Apr 2006
                • 4097

                #37
                Re: Led Zepplin, The Who, and other classic rock band permissions made possible

                i'll believe it when you get permissions

                Comment

                • Afrobean
                  Admiral in the Red Army
                  • Dec 2003
                  • 13262

                  #38
                  Re: Led Zepplin, The Who, and other classic rock band permissions made possible

                  Originally posted by thechild
                  If you actually pay $1000 for a song I'm going to unsub because that will show how badly my money is being used.
                  And what if Synth makes an investment of 1,000 dollars and the income growth thanks to it makes for 5,000 dollars profit?

                  ps im still waiting on an answer about the old Fall Out Boy stuff, because I really don't see how we could get permission from Fueled By Ramen for Panic at the Disco's mainstream hits, but fail to get permission for Fall Out Boy's stuff that came out before they hit it big. I believe there was also talk of working with Uprising regarding Fall Out Boy's first album. And in case you didn't know, I like Fall Out Boy.

                  Comment

                  • DJAirWave
                    Why am I still here?
                    FFR Music Producer
                    • Jul 2008
                    • 683

                    #39
                    Re: Led Zepplin, The Who, and other classic rock band permissions made possible

                    Originally posted by kommisar[os]
                    i'll believe it when you get permissions
                    Are you referring to me? If so, I have the proof. I'll also get in touch with Infinite Dimensions as well.

                    Comment

                    • Tasselfoot
                      Retired BOSS
                      FFR Simfile Author
                      • Jul 2003
                      • 25185

                      #40
                      Re: Led Zepplin, The Who, and other classic rock band permissions made possible

                      afro: ask DSC... i really don't know what happened. i know what happened with Panic and how we got their permission for the 1 level, and it had nothing to do with Ricky.
                      RIP

                      Comment

                      • Heartseeker7
                        Untz Untz Untz Untz
                        FFR Music Producer
                        • Nov 2006
                        • 571

                        #41
                        Re: Led Zepplin, The Who, and other classic rock band permissions made possible

                        Originally posted by Tasselfoot
                        like crack. crack draws people in.
                        Give the people a picture of you in a hot pose.
                        I'd donate for that.

                        Originally posted by stavie33
                        Well, it's probably more, but with the demand for it on this site being so high, and the idea that it's only 1 dollar they have to send in, I'd think we could hit 250k or more without much effort, really, FFR is a HUGE community!
                        Things wrong with this statement:

                        1. Not that many active during school year, try summer.
                        2. Half the people wouldn't donate due to the fact that everyone doesn't like this type and genre of music.
                        3. Ive seen maybe three other threads on this and the idea was shot down everytime.

                        Not to be a party pooper, but I don't think this style of music is meant for FFR. (NOTE: this idea is biased)
                        Expectally to the players that play 10-12's, if Stairway was on here (which I think would go way over the song time limit, Not sure if they still have this?), It wouldn't be that difficult of a file and would get boring very fast.

                        The only possible Advantage of having those songs in this game: one-time players that would recognize these songs and would stick around to try more songs. (Yet again, totally biased)

                        I'm going to bed now
                        Originally posted by Phynx
                        I'm a total asshole, if I had the chance to shove a razor blade dildo up your ass... I would... and I'd laugh while doing it.

                        Comment

                        • Patashu
                          FFR Simfile Author
                          FFR Simfile Author
                          • Apr 2006
                          • 8609

                          #42
                          Re: Led Zepplin, The Who, and other classic rock band permissions made possible

                          it wouldn't really work unless you had a whole bunch of classic rock songs to play, and that's a pretty bulky investment

                          otherwise it'd be like 'oh hey that's a cool song' but then you have to move on
                          Patashu makes Chiptunes in Famitracker:
                          http://soundcloud.com/patashu/8bit-progressive-metal-fading-world
                          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/Mechadragon/smallpackbanner.png
                          Best non-AAAs: ERx8 v2 (14-1-0-4), Hajnal (3-0-0-0), RunnyMorning (8-0-0-4), Xeno-Flow (1-0-0-3), Blue Rose (35-2-0-20), Ketsarku (14-0-0-0), Silence (1-0-0-0), Lolo (14-1-0-1)
                          http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/xiaoven/solorulzsig.png

                          Comment

                          • stavie33
                            FFR Player
                            • Aug 2006
                            • 1925

                            #43
                            Re: Led Zepplin, The Who, and other classic rock band permissions made possible

                            I don't know, if you step Baba O'Reiley to the max for the ending part and beginning, it could be easily a high FMO, or maybe even FGO, and I talked to daman's Mom, she'll link this thread and send it to her brother, who will then contact you, Tass, and tell you if he can set up a possible business agreement to sell their albums on the site, it might take a week or so before you get a reply, so just be patient, k? And I hear a lot of people being against this, someone should make an official poll before I ask daman's uncle to put a lot of effort into this
                            It's getting better all the time
                            I used to get mad at my school (No, I can't complain)
                            The teachers who taught me weren't cool (No, I can't complain)
                            You're holding me down (Oh Oh)
                            Turning me round (Oh Oh)
                            Filling me up with your rules (Oooh)

                            Comment

                            • norsegod666
                              Well hello there!
                              • Apr 2008
                              • 522

                              #44
                              Re: Led Zepplin, The Who, and other classic rock band permissions made possible

                              ill start a poll now.

                              Comment

                              • bluguerrilla
                                FFR Player
                                FFR Simfile Author
                                • Apr 2006
                                • 3966

                                #45
                                Re: Led Zepplin, The Who, and other classic rock band permissions made possible

                                Overall... Most Classic Rock songs would not make for good simfiles.

                                The only stuff I'd consider stepping is like... Jethro Tull or... Boston lol... or Green Eyed Lady by Sugarloaf lawl.

                                While I like to listen to a bunch of classic rock I would not want to step it or play it.


                                (P.S. I'm sure there's some that's steppable but really... I remember when Daman did exactly this)

                                Comment

                                Working...