Expanding FFR's file library: Judging?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Arch0wl
    Banned
    FFR Simfile Author
    • Dec 2002
    • 6344

    #46
    Re: Expanding FFR's file library: Judging?

    You do realize that the vast majority of people enjoy my work right? You're one of the few people who dislike my files.
    The "vast majority of people" enjoy my work as well, even when the chart is something you and I dislike a lot, such as Flight of the Bumblebee. Most people don't have the type of hyper-critical judgment that simfile authors tend to have and only notice errors in charts when they're grotesque. The people that would enjoy your work for the same reason you enjoy your work is such an insignificantly small number that if you want to talk about "pleasing the majority" you might as well give up.

    I've said before, it's not completely objective, but in many cases most of it can be that way. Another factor is purpose, but again, many times a file can be viewed very objectively.
    It doesn't matter if you say it is or "can be" objective. It isn't. This isn't really up for debate even if you say it is. The only universal factor you can find in any file that people tend to like is a vague following of the music. When I say "vague" this encompasses every file on FFR, DDR, IIDX, every semi-popular file on Stepmania, and every file on BEMANIesque games.

    In fact, factors that may influence whether someone likes a file are more likely to be the music than anything else.

    do realize many basic principles of thought and function are universal. Take music for example. 99.9% of the population will think of happy emotions when listening to a major chord, and a sad expression for a minor chord.
    This doesn't affect my argument or your argument. It's established that preferences are both genetically and environmentally determined. This would be an argument for whether music preference is objective, and the position of contemporary academia in psychology, biology, and music is that it's not.

    most of these people do not know the better from the best, and they are very lenient, finding fun in most files that aren't downright horrible.
    This statement assumes an argument you're trying to make is correct without having proven your argument correct. For these people to "know the better from the best" or "find fun in files that aren't downright horrible" you need to have established that "best" and "horrible" can be true qualities of a file.

    Another thing you need to realize is that I'm not like most steppers. Some look for super-technicality, like dondon. I find judgment based on the how the stepper wants it, how to effectively express their style in the best way possible.
    This doesn't affect your argument.

    An extra comment: I am actually very pissed off at the FFR judges for actually rejecting my better works and accepting the not-so-good ones and the obviously accepted ones. Most of my most innovative files were too good for you guys so you had to be "oh it's not stepped how we wanted it REJECT"
    As long as they're open about it and explicitly admit that their process is subjective and that they only accept files they want, I don't see the problem. Do you really expect the majority of FFRers, or even a minority given the number of people that visit this site, to notice the nuances you put in your files? Even on ODI praise of your files is not universal.

    Comment

    • EDEdDNEdDYFaN
      FFR Veteran
      • May 2003
      • 2119

      #47
      Re: Expanding FFR's file library: Judging?

      itt

      two of the biggest egos of this week clash over nothing


      yeaahzhzzz

      to be on topic (why bother hehe): too many files in the queue to even start thinking about getting new judges...won't be a problem for a long time. and the idea of having judges of different play styles is retarded...shouldn't be worried about what styles can play the song but whether or not the steps are well made or not. pitch relevance is nice to have, but a file that is fun (and optionally pitch relevant, definitely not required) is pretty much always better than one that is only pitch relevant.

      and people that complain about style-specific files are bad bye

      Comment

      • stargroup100
        behanjc & me are <3'ers
        FFR Simfile Author
        FFR Music Producer
        • Jul 2006
        • 2051

        #48
        Re: Expanding FFR's file library: Judging?

        oy he never gives up T_T
        Rhythm Simulation Guide
        Comments, criticism, suggestions, contributions, etc. are all welcome.

        Piano Etude Demon Fire sheet music

        Comment

        • Izzy
          Snek
          FFR Simfile Author
          • Jan 2003
          • 9195

          #49
          Re: Expanding FFR's file library: Judging?

          I think a major part in making a good file is finding a good song. To many songs suck.

          Also, rofl at archowl really trying to make such ridiculous arguments.

          Comment

          • Beethovens mask
            FFR Veteran
            • Dec 2007
            • 1569

            #50
            Re: Expanding FFR's file library: Judging?

            Originally posted by Izzy
            I think a major part in making a good file is finding a good song. To many songs suck.

            Also, rofl at archowl really trying to make such ridiculous arguments.
            Do I sense some hidden anger?
            Originally posted by fastfingers65
            beethoven youre terrible at speaking like a moron

            Comment

            • Arch0wl
              Banned
              FFR Simfile Author
              • Dec 2002
              • 6344

              #51
              Re: Expanding FFR's file library: Judging?

              Clearly Izzy's angry because I beat him on Club by 5 points.

              Comment

              • Izzy
                Snek
                FFR Simfile Author
                • Jan 2003
                • 9195

                #52
                Re: Expanding FFR's file library: Judging?

                Lol if you sense anger in a single post i make you are nuts. Thats taking the internet farther then its capable =)

                Comment

                • Tasselfoot
                  Retired BOSS
                  FFR Simfile Author
                  • Jul 2003
                  • 25185

                  #53
                  Re: Expanding FFR's file library: Judging?

                  I think we need to have a boxing match between Arch and SG. That is the only way to solve this. I will play the role of Don King.
                  RIP

                  Comment

                  • Xx{Midday}xX
                    FFR Player
                    • Sep 2007
                    • 3518

                    #54
                    Re: Expanding FFR's file library: Judging?

                    I'll be part of the crowd. I can learn a lot from this.

                    EDIT, succeeding post: I see. I wouldn't necessarily see it as annoying... but if that's what majority says, then I have no objection. Question: Why was Club not considered annoying? It is different from AIM in some respects, but most of it has the same concept, no?

                    EDIT2: Answered before I asked. Woah. =) Well, I guess I asked before, but w/e =) I understand.

                    EDIT3: There is a limit to the uniqueness one can achieve from 4 arrows. Sooner or later, everything may start to look the same. =/
                    Last edited by Xx{Midday}xX; 06-6-2008, 09:11 PM.
                    Any FFR song title discrepancies? List them here.
                    Willing to accurately translate Japanese for free
                    Accumulating all playstyles here!


                    つまんないシグでスマソ(´・ω・`)

                    Comment

                    • jimerax
                      ★★★★★
                      FFR Simfile Author
                      FFR Music Producer
                      • Nov 2003
                      • 8185

                      #55
                      Re: Expanding FFR's file library: Judging?

                      Originally posted by Xx{Midday}xX
                      I don't think it's a problem to have a variety of the same kind of file. On the contrary, I think it would be more fulfilling to have, for example, multiple 3-fingered stepfiles. It adds a sort of structure of accomplishment, like being able to AAA all of the 3-fingered stepfiles, etc. Of course, there's no point in having 3-fingered stepfiles become overtly dominant over other kinds of stepfiles, but I don't think there is a problem with having, say, 3 or 4?

                      AIM Anthem and Club are like that, aren't they?
                      It was unique because nobody had done stuff like that ever, but another file that has the same concept would be just annoying. Of course including 1 or 2 arrow stuff.

                      Club is just technical stuff, not the same thing with it.

                      Comment

                      • Magewout
                        FFR Player
                        • Apr 2007
                        • 306

                        #56
                        Re: Expanding FFR's file library: Judging?

                        I agree with none of you, therefore you're all incorrect ^_^
                        Best AAA: Diamond Heart (FFR edit)
                        Best sightread AAA: Ninjitsu (I know, I suck )


                        Originally posted by MrRubix
                        EDIT: Wow Magewout just slayed my riddles

                        Comment

                        • Xx{Midnight}xX
                          FFR Player
                          • Aug 2007
                          • 8548

                          #57
                          Re: Expanding FFR's file library: Judging?

                          Files like MAMA, AIM and possibly Death Piano how those are passed is beyond me. aim is all jacks which makes it boring but difficult as heck. MAMA is a no left arrow file which in my opinion was just stupid. Death Piano is just so hard it's hilarious, but it opens up people to want to cheat with double set up or trainers etc. There's no perfect system but maybe about 5 people who have made a good amount of files that are good judging wouldn't be so bad. (From what I read there's 2 now) But that's all just an opinion.

                          Comment

                          Working...