Oh hey Arch welcome to the world of FFR file judging.
Basically, if you want to see a change in the procedure, this is the recommended path to take:
1. find a large heavy book, like a dictionary or atlas
2. place it on a solid surface
3. smash your forehead into it at least 20 times, or until blood is drawn
Now that you have a good grasp of what "ineffectivity" is, place your comment to Tasselfoot. He will do nothing. The end.
One of the best posts I've read in a while. <3
Originally posted by Tasselfoot
Our strict judging has made people better simfile authors.
No you've conformed everyone to step the way YOU want to see files made, which is a large part of why most FFR files are unoriginal and bland.
If anything you're encouraging people to become generic step artists, just like how pop culture encourages people to make generic music.
Originally posted by Tasselfoot
And... I'm a harsher critic of files because I'm far less technical in my critiquing.
You're half right and half wrong and mostly wrong.
You don't always have to be super technical, but you also have bad judgment of what a good file is.
Originally posted by Tasselfoot
Me... I don't make files. I have much less knowledge about that stuff than they do. Which is why I do not test every file. I only test the files that the other guys approve of in the first place.
Which is why you shouldn't be a judge, at the very least not a final judge.
Originally posted by Tasselfoot
As I said... it's complicated and complex. And I'll be hard pressed to find a better solution than what we have in place. For the most part, it works how we're doing it. It is a long process and a slow turnaround... but it's better than where we were 2 years ago.
Not really. I can pull a few ideas out my butt that can help improve the judging process a lot more, but I've learned to keep them to myself since only 1% of these ideas actually ever go into effect.
Obviously you need less files, and yet you aren't doing anything about it. If you wanted MORE files then settle for mediocre files for all I care.
Also, FFR needs more easy files, regardless of how many files are in queue in total right now.
Rhythm Simulation Guide
Comments, criticism, suggestions, contributions, etc. are all welcome.
"Originally Posted by Tasselfoot
Me... I don't make files. I have much less knowledge about that stuff than they do. Which is why I do not test every file. I only test the files that the other guys approve of in the first place."
Which is why you shouldn't be a judge, at the very least not a final judge.
If you haven't read already, he's the final judge not because of a simfile's technical aspect (the jobs of jx, rebirth, etc.) but because of the fun factor. You could consider Tass as the middle man who would determine which of the quality files are fun to a normal person. Since fun is one of the most important aspects, he's the judge to weed unfun but "quality" files out. Of course, it's apparent that fun has a different meaning to a lot of people, but in general, that's why Tass is a judge.
You guys can make terribly enjoyable files or get some people who make those kind of files for FFR, if you want.
Tass is the final judge because he has the final responsibility for FFR R1 game.. He doesn't need to do too many things about judgement, but still has to check them before adding them to the game. plus he's a super-veteran of this game and has some good opinions about files as a player.
I know I don't represent a vast majority of the FFR population, but I figured I would compile a list of files that are not only of a quality that adheres to my standards but also are very enjoyable to play (i.e. I can stand playing them multiple times).
Starting from late '05
Wish (For FFR) - Reach - the only problem is the unevenness caused by the framerate
Hyper Pressure - Rebirth0
Carrousel Paradise - alainbryden
Etude to a Dragon - Moogy
Cutting Circles - Kit-
Jelly Roll Blues - sertman
KlungKung 2004 - Shash - although he did step this file mostly for the fun factor
Carol Megamix - Rebirth0 - it might be partly due to the song
{Rose} - hi19hi19
{Frozen} - Bahamut-X
Ruins - jimerax
Honolulu - dAnceguy117
Piano Etude (Demon Fire) - hi19hi19 - maybe I play this one too much
Cosmic Orchestra - jimerax
Strawberry Music - jimerax
Snowball Fight - SulferDragon
Midnight Dragon - hi19hi19 - except maybe the 32nd's
Monstrous Turtles - macgravel
Final Step - behanjc
Final Fantasy Last Battle Festival - jimerax - a tad bit long
Blooddrunk [Heavy] - Rebirth0
Blue Rose - stargroup100
Ketsarku Mozgalom - jimerax
4 Chord Touhou - cetaka
M.A.M.A. - hi19hi19
As shown by the list, I'm not particularly partial towards any one author (hi19, JX, and Rebirth obviously have more because of submission quantity). There are a number files that almost make the cut, but usually there are a few minor things keeping them from doing so.
you also have bad judgment of what a good file is.
I've never found any of your files that fun to play, even on spread. The only file of yours I've found exceptionally fun was Planet Karma solo, and I ended up playing IIDX conversions more than that anyway. If you're so wound up in your erroneous belief that opinions, which are genetically and environmentally determined by their nature, can somehow be "objective" or that judgment over combinations of four arrow column sequences can be "good" or "bad" then you're kidding yourself.
In fact, if I had to pick a judge based on "judgment" I would rather pick someone that hasn't made files before because they wouldn't be caught up in the type of hyper-critical OCD review that people who make most newer keyboard files are generally caught up in.
IMO you should stop making so many threads trying to change simple things so that in 5 years you can say that it was you personally that did something.
:- / Assumption is the worst trait in the world. People only expect what they expect of themselves.
Not everyone is out to make changes so to boost their own ego (At least not consciously.. Everyone does good for selfish reasons, IMO; they just dont know it.).
Unless he has a reputation of bringing up up what he has done for others; then thats an uncool judgement .
I know who arch is, I just havent talked to him in person much, so I have no idea of his reactions; but it seems anyone who goes against the general mind set here/ODI/etc, etc, is flamed into oblivious .
I, myself; think the judgement needs to be a bit more strict and they need to cut down the number of files in the queue and remove bad files altogether.
By backing up the queue; you are leaving less chance for really amazing files/songs that may come along to be added in soon... sure, the queue selection is random, but they all are thrown in the awesome 100000000 song roulette known as the 'FFR queue'.
An amazing song permission could come along with an amazing simfile to go with it, and it may not be in the game for another 2 years due to the number of files in the queue.
On top of that, the queue being backed up prompts Tass for more 'Mass queue releases' to try to clear it up, but it seems that more songs keep getting thrown in due to this popular band permission outburst.
I've never found any of your files that fun to play, even on spread. The only file of yours I've found exceptionally fun was Planet Karma solo, and I ended up playing IIDX conversions more than that anyway.
Actually I personally don't think Planet Karma is my best work, it's just the most epic, which is why it's so popular.
You do realize that the vast majority of people enjoy my work right? You're one of the few people who dislike my files. There's a reason why certain files are fun and why others are not. By figuring out why and isolating these reasons and combining them to incorporate in your own file makes it successful. Then if you want to get artistic it will depend on how complex the file can get.
Another thing is that I haven't made many files at all. I've made like what, 3-4 decent files?
Originally posted by Arch0wl
If you're so wound up in your erroneous belief that opinions, which are genetically and environmentally determined by their nature, can somehow be "objective" or that judgment over combinations of four arrow column sequences can be "good" or "bad" then you're kidding yourself.
If combinations of shapes and colors can make an incredibly insightful, visually pleasing piece of art, I don't see why four arrow column sequences can't be fun.
I've said before, it's not completely objective, but in many cases most of it can be that way. Another factor is purpose, but again, many times a file can be viewed very objectively. After all, it's just a simple 4-arrow game right?
Yes, everyone has their own opinions, but do realize many basic principles of thought and function are universal. Take music for example. 99.9% of the population will think of happy emotions when listening to a major chord, and a sad expression for a minor chord.
Originally posted by Arch0wl
In fact, if I had to pick a judge based on "judgment" I would rather pick someone that hasn't made files before because they wouldn't be caught up in the type of hyper-critical OCD review that people who make most newer keyboard files are generally caught up in.
The problem with that is that most of these people do not know the better from the best, and they are very lenient, finding fun in most files that aren't downright horrible.
Another thing you need to realize is that I'm not like most steppers. Some look for super-technicality, like dondon. I find judgment based on the how the stepper wants it, how to effectively express their style in the best way possible.
An extra comment: I am actually very pissed off at the FFR judges for actually rejecting my better works and accepting the not-so-good ones and the obviously accepted ones. Most of my most innovative files were too good for you guys so you had to be "oh it's not stepped how we wanted it REJECT"
You can't use the same idea more than once, it should always be innovative.
I don't think it's a problem to have a variety of the same kind of file. On the contrary, I think it would be more fulfilling to have, for example, multiple 3-fingered stepfiles. It adds a sort of structure of accomplishment, like being able to AAA all of the 3-fingered stepfiles, etc. Of course, there's no point in having 3-fingered stepfiles become overtly dominant over other kinds of stepfiles, but I don't think there is a problem with having, say, 3 or 4?
AIM Anthem and Club are like that, aren't they?
Any FFR song title discrepancies? List them here. Willing to accurately translate Japanese for free Accumulating all playstyles here!
つまんないシグでスマソ(´・ω・`)
well something like a 3-fingered file should be unique, since it's really something that doesn't need to be played around with
on the other hand, files with unique note colors and layering should be accepted if they are good
devonin, I know why you feel that way. it mostly has to do with how you look at ffr and sm. I can't really explain it at the moment cause my brain is half-dead, but it has to with perspective of the games themselves
I think more files like "Jelly Roll Blues" and "Going on Spring Wind" should be added to the game. Song's like these are real Jazzy and fun to play.
Well I guess it's just what people like. For instance I hate songs like "Blooddrunk Heavy", but I like the steps. It's really a matter of what music you like and what steps you like. Having a song that has both music you like and steps you like usually doesn't happen, which is why we consider most songs bland or boring.
Comment