Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Stepmania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2015, 03:53 PM   #1
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Default Controller concept development

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgdtojQGlEE

A friend (Malcolm, internet name "Bluhr") and I are developing this into a controller for index-style singles and doubles play. This video shows some patterns you could do on a setup like this that you might not be able to do on index, and how this setup is much more comfortable than index.

The basic idea is this:

1. Even though the perceived distance between pop'n buttons and keyboard keys is much greater, the muscular exertion required to move across pop'n buttons vs. an index setup is surprisingly equivalent. However, fast movements on pop'n buttons look much more entertaining to watch and feel much more satisfying.

2. Index doubles is not a thing, but could be, since doubles is enabled by default in 3.9, and the pattern potential is massive.

3. While it is true that something like this:

(credit: Carlos / Wayward Vagabond)

Would allow for far more natural movements across eight keys, we chose two DDR-style setups for doubles because

(a) most people are already familiar with this format, both in terms of play and stepfile design
(b) this allows for direct carryover from DDR/ITG doubles charts, as well as mild carryover from IIDX/solo charts
(c) this allows for 4-button singles, while the above setup only works for 8-button singles
(d) this allows for 2-player, which the above also does not

---

So, with that said, the circles in the video are a little bit smaller than they should be. They're about 82.5mm and we'll be using 100mm buttons. However, I think the 100mm diameter includes the outside rim, so the button itself might be about 85 or 90mm -- not a huge difference, really, but slightly noticeable.

These are the dome buttons we're using. Economy buttons are available, but I've read reviews and have heard that they rattle, which is not something you want when you're doing 16th stream at 240+ bpm, so I'm opting for the same buttons used in pop'n controllers which I know for a fact are durable.

We are negotiating how to do start/exit/movement buttons. Something like this might be good, but since navigation buttons would not need to adhere to nearly the same durability standards as the dome buttons, we could use these

---

Side note: if there is enough interest in this, we might be able to make extra to sell to all of you. I have no idea what the price would be, and it would depend on how much labor is involved. We could also make 4-button controllers if you just want to play singles. (Shipping internationally wouldn't be a problem, but obviously it's going to cost a lot more.)

I have used both Ransai and official Konami Pop'n Music ASC controllers before. Ransai controllers do not have a comfortable distance between buttons -- they're farther apart than the buttons on the official Pop'n Music arcade machine. Also, both the Ransai and Konami ASC are extremely noisy, and have to be padded to reduce noise. Both of us live in houses where we stay up late while other people sleep, so we're conscious of noise and will make sure that there is none.

That's about it so far. Let me know what you think.

Last edited by Arch0wl; 02-14-2015 at 04:01 PM..
Arch0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 03:57 PM   #2
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Controller concept development

That drawing isn't credited, how dare you.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:59 PM   #3
Rapta
🡸Index🡻Is🡹Fun!🡺
Global ModeratorMultiplayer ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

The video made me **** myself due to your hand movements
Note the left hand pinky. It stretches out into attack mode to make etienne's hand appear larger, an intimidation technique for the arrows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mourningfall
[3:51 PM] Mourningfall: i spent the second half of that song getting face fucked by a fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Hi I see rapta come play TWG next game
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx View Post
Rapta thinks alot about memes and fonts. I'd be inclined to think he's town because wolves wouldn't have time to meme would they ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk
if we keep releasing engines that work on 1/4 of people's computers, we'll get there
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger
do u even agrabah
Quote:
Today at 12:53 AM
I have no fucking idea how you were able to identify that specific line from meme show so you are basically an elder god of memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotik
When I think Mother’s Day, I think Venetian Snares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haku
have you heard someone mention eating pancakes to negate friday 13th?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk at 10:53:56pm on 10/26/11
OMFG VC! I want your programming fingers in or around my mouth OnO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storn at 3:03 PM
We have so many batches open. Its like a backlog clearance sale. ALL FILES MUST GO!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonE156 at 11:07 PM
You've never felt intimacy until you've practiced Jiu Jitsu ground techniques with the only girl in class

Last edited by Rapta; 02-14-2015 at 03:59 PM..
Rapta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 04:02 PM   #4
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
That drawing isn't credited, how dare you.
oops, edited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapta
The video made me **** myself due to your hand movements
I honestly forget how fast my hands look sometimes until I see it on video

when I'm doing the movements themselves I don't think much of it
Old 02-14-2015, 04:12 PM   #5
Kraezymann
Forum User
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via MSN to Kraezymann

- Is your controller area going to be as big as the white box too? Or do you plan on taking out any excess space?
- By movement buttons do you mean the left/right song selection-type movement?
- What sorts of ideas do you have regarding button noise? I think on IIDX controllers the cardboard underneath helped. Would another idea like that, or perhaps cloth be useful?
- Are there many 8key packs out there for people who would like to start playing, and would you be working on more for the people who would be buying something like this?

This looks very interesting; gonna have to save up.

Submit to this -
Kraezymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 04:18 PM   #6
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Q: Is your controller area going to be as big as the white box too? Or do you plan on taking out any excess space?

A: The controller will be bigger than that piece of paper, probably, since the circles in that video are 82.5mm and the dome buttons themselves are somewhere between 85mm and 90mm with a 10-15mm outside barrier.

Q: By movement buttons do you mean the left/right song selection-type movement?

A: Yes; the buttons you use to navigate menus.

Q: What sorts of ideas do you have regarding button noise? I think on IIDX controllers the cardboard underneath helped. Would another idea like that, or perhaps cloth be useful?

A: Cardboard, padding, whatever we can think of. I'm open to suggestions and will try new ideas.

Q: Are there many 8key packs out there for people who would like to start playing?

A: Right now, the extent of 8key charts are doubles charts on ITG/DDR. You could also convert IIDX/O2Jam/Solo charts, but that would take some time and is a project on its own.

Q: Would you be working on more simfile packs for the people who would be buying something like this?

A: Absolutely. I'm going to make it a point to have one of these at home just for that purpose.

Last edited by Arch0wl; 02-14-2015 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: phrasing
Old 02-14-2015, 04:21 PM   #7
Rapta
🡸Index🡻Is🡹Fun!🡺
Global ModeratorMultiplayer ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch0wl View Post
Q: Is your controller area going to be as big as the white box too? Or do you plan on taking out any excess space?

A: The controller will be bigger than that piece of paper, probably, since the circles in that video are 82.5mm and the dome buttons themselves are somewhere between 85mm and 90mm with a 10-15mm outside barrier.

Q: By movement buttons do you mean the left/right song selection-type movement?

Q: What sorts of ideas do you have regarding button noise? I think on IIDX controllers the cardboard underneath helped. Would another idea like that, or perhaps cloth be useful?

A: Cardboard, padding, whatever we can think of. I'm open to suggestions and will try new ideas.

Q: Are there many 8key packs out there for people who would like to start playing?

A: Right now, the extent of 8key charts are doubles charts on ITG/DDR. You could also convert IIDX/O2Jam/Solo charts, but that would take some time and is a project on its own.

Q: Would you be working on more simfile packs for the people who would be buying something like this?

A: Absolutely. I'm going to make it a point to have one of these at home just for that purpose.
I have a question. Why are 2 Q's bold and the rest not? .-.

Also how expensive would this be? Do you have an idea? I don't know about other 8key 'controllers' but your hand movements look hilarious enough to buy and try
Note the left hand pinky. It stretches out into attack mode to make etienne's hand appear larger, an intimidation technique for the arrows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mourningfall
[3:51 PM] Mourningfall: i spent the second half of that song getting face fucked by a fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Hi I see rapta come play TWG next game
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx View Post
Rapta thinks alot about memes and fonts. I'd be inclined to think he's town because wolves wouldn't have time to meme would they ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk
if we keep releasing engines that work on 1/4 of people's computers, we'll get there
Quote:
do u even agrabah
Quote:
Today at 12:53 AM
I have no fucking idea how you were able to identify that specific line from meme show so you are basically an elder god of memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotik
When I think Mother’s Day, I think Venetian Snares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haku
have you heard someone mention eating pancakes to negate friday 13th?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk at 10:53:56pm on 10/26/11
OMFG VC! I want your programming fingers in or around my mouth OnO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storn at 3:03 PM
We have so many batches open. Its like a backlog clearance sale. ALL FILES MUST GO!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonE156 at 11:07 PM
You've never felt intimacy until you've practiced Jiu Jitsu ground techniques with the only girl in class

Last edited by Rapta; 02-14-2015 at 04:23 PM..
Rapta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 04:30 PM   #8
Kraezymann
Forum User
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via MSN to Kraezymann

Quote:

Any particular reason you don't just want to use the far left/right buttons on the controller?

Submit to this -
Kraezymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 04:34 PM   #9
_Juli_
FFR Player

I like this. This has great potential.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:39 PM   #10
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Q: Why are 2 Q's bold and the rest not?

A: DHD

Q: Also how expensive would this be? Do you have an idea?

Depends on the cost of parts. Ransais use to sell for I think $300, DJ DAO for $350, and the Konami ASC for about $325.

I really want to be able to do $190 + shipping, but I have no idea how much labor time will be or how much the parts will cost. Let's peg it at $250 + shipping for now.

If good index players are willing to stream / post videos / generally showcase their use of the controller and include a link to us somewhere, then we could offer a seriously reduced price. This would be for a limited time, though.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:41 PM   #11
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraezymann View Post
Any particular reason you don't just want to use the far left/right buttons on the controller?
No particular reason. We'll talk that over, since the same 4 buttons you use to play are also used for navigation. It'd streamline things severely.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:44 PM   #12
YoshL
Celestial Harbor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to YoshL Send a message via MSN to YoshL Send a message via Skype™ to YoshL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Only yours, for an easy price of $19.99! You too can experience the wonders of full motion rump sticking.
YoshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:32 PM   #13
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Daaang

Also I was joking about being credited but thanks.

Like I told you on fb this owns
Old 02-14-2015, 06:00 PM   #14
Jousway
FFR Player

I could build a controller like this in real right now if I wanted haha, got all dem shits

Jousway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:03 PM   #15
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshL View Post
So I looked into this controller, because I'm curious about how this would differ from the one we're designing, and there are several major differences that matter for someone who plays Stepmania.

1. On many versions of the controller, what would be the up/down arrows are really close to what would be the left/right arrows. This makes crossovers or anything like this much more awkward at high speeds, and this is especially true for patterns like left-up-left-down-repeat or right-up-right-down-repeat.

You can see that here:

2. On the controllers where this isn't the case, what would be the left-side right arrow and right-side left arrow are too far apart to make doubles feasible.

3. Some controllers get the spacing perfectly right, but they're mini controllers.

---

Either way, I'm going to be testing these to make sure that the dimensions and distance between buttons make intuitive sense for extremely hard index charts. I'm not going to produce something where it's an awkward transition from index to larger buttons.

Considering how much experience I have with this playstyle, I can guarantee you that it will be customized to maximize performance on the highest difficulties of index. If anything feels off, I won't sell the controller.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:04 PM   #16
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jousway View Post
I could build a controller like this in real right now if I wanted haha, got all dem shits
If you do, let us know how you did it. I'm open to feedback and ideas.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:06 PM   #17
YoshL
Celestial Harbor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to YoshL Send a message via MSN to YoshL Send a message via Skype™ to YoshL

that was pretty much exactly my question lol, the differences between what i posted and what you're designing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Only yours, for an easy price of $19.99! You too can experience the wonders of full motion rump sticking.
YoshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:55 AM   #18
Kyzentun
FFR Player

I actually have a couple friends that put together a pair of 4 button controllers like that in a cabinet and put OITG on it ~4 years ago. It's pretty fun to play on, even though they separated the two sides too much for double to be easy.
It's been extremely popular at Anime Banzai every year, and gets a fair amount of play in the local arcade it's normally in.

Edit: You can't have the same controller work well for two people playing 4 button and one person playing 8 button. If the buttons are close enough for one person to play 8 buttons easily, it's too cramped for two people to facing forward. If the buttons are spaced to allow two people to fit next to each other, the gap in the middle makes one person playing 8 button awkward.

Last edited by Kyzentun; 02-15-2015 at 01:19 AM..
Kyzentun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 04:19 AM   #19
FF_rules
FF Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyzentun View Post
Edit: You can't have the same controller work well for two people playing 4 button and one person playing 8 button.
Could you somehow implement a slide/filler block where you can easily remove the excess sides and spread the panels apart and then put the filler sides in the center to make a 2 player 4 button setup? It won't look as aesthetically pleasing as a solid acrylic cabinet or such but it solves the problem for people who just want to play 2 player 4 button (Basically; separate blocks for each 4 button set up that can be moved -The method of moving is up for debate; or not at all) /2cents

FF_rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:01 AM   #20
Jousway
FFR Player

Quote:
If you do, let us know how you did it. I'm open to feedback and ideas.
actually its quite easy seeing I have made controllers before like my solomania controller https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jonyaC-vWkQ

like just make the case out of wood, thats the easy part, as for the rest

for a pcb controller just get a xin-mo http://www.xin-mo.com/?page_id=38 its cheap small, and easy to reuse, because no soldering, perfect for beginners, if you're in NL as me you can get it at a store I get all my stuff
http://www.arcadewinkel.nl/component...roller-1speler

as for the buttons get some big dome pushbuttons
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ome+Pushbutton
they arnt to expensive and are p much close to pop'n music buttons
again if you're in NL you can get them a lot cheaper at
http://www.arcadewinkel.nl/besturing...groot-verlicht

if you are wondering about the size, this is how big they are
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1jd...utu.be&t=2m38s

so ya its basicly getting the same buttons as Pop'n music, and a cheap controller

Last edited by Jousway; 02-15-2015 at 10:12 AM..
Jousway is offline   Reply With Quote