Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 05:39 AM   #1
Doug31
Falcon Paaaauuuunch!!!!!!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Doug31
Default Any way to not feel this way?

Here's what I currently think:

Definition: Worse than locked content: It means content that is locked for some, but not for others, and some can't unlock it. Then it's just like locked content is on other games, but worse, because you know some other people got it unlocked.

Tokens and especially skill tokens are just so bad that they ruin the entire game. I know most of you don't seem to think that's the case, so maybe you could enlighten me with how you manage to think of things that way.

Here are the problems with them:

1. First, and although obvious, still important: That some players can't play certain songs. Maybe not a big deal to some, but there's one song I think sounds just so beautiful and I'll never get to play it so this isn't a small point.

2. The social disconnect. I don't feel on the same ground on the forums as the players that have the really hard skill tokens. It's an extra way they can connect but I can't, and although I've added a bunch of them to my ignore list, it still just seems so annoying all the time. As it stands now, I would rather just try to stay away from them. And they like their little elite group so that they'll defend the tokens, and seeing that they probably make the majority of the posts around here since most of the weaker players have already had enough of the worse than locked content and quit. As such, the tokens are probably not going away.

3. The difficulty. No, not what you likely think. What I mean is that, in my rating of video games, this used to have the best possible rating. Why? Because you could just play songs of any level and have fun with them. Now, it's the worst possible difficulty level where it's ridiculously hard to unlock too many things. I have played tons of other games, and absolutely none of the other ones have anything nearly as hard to unlock as this game does. So, in this category, IMO, this game might even be dead last among all games ever made.

4. The target audience and its implications. Back in the old days, I had played this game more than anyone else. I thought it was one of the most fun games ever made and it was made so that the highly dedicated fans like myself could really enjoy it. But now look. It's clearly catering to the very best players as the target audience. So, the staff, or some subset of it, hates all non-elite players. That's probably not the case, but that's how it comes across to me.

5. The psychology effects on playing the game. I just feel like I can't enjoy the game anymore because of the above. I also feel like I don't have the determination to play it very good anymore.

After all that, is there any way I can hope to get back to actually thinking this game is good again? The game is just so fun I want to have a way that I can keep liking it, but I don't think there is one. I think I'm going to move on to better games soon unless there's something I just haven't thought of.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:52 AM   #2
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!

Default Re: Any way to not feel this way?

The tokens and skill tokens are there to incite players to keep on playing FFR. They are designed to make you work for them.

But if you put me on your ignore list, then I guess this message means nothing to you because you can't see this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:00 AM   #3
Gradiant
FFR's Resident Trashpanda
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug31 View Post
2. The social disconnect. I don't feel on the same ground on the forums as the players that have the really hard skill tokens. It's an extra way they can connect but I can't, and although I've added a bunch of them to my ignore list, it still just seems so annoying all the time. As it stands now, I would rather just try to stay away from them. And they like their little elite group so that they'll defend the tokens, and seeing that they probably make the majority of the posts around here since most of the weaker players have already had enough of the worse than locked content and quit.
You have vROFL and I don't, does that mean I can ignore you?

EDIT: Was gonna multi-quote your post but others are beating me to it so nevermind

Last edited by Gradiant; 07-16-2013 at 06:06 AM..
Old 07-16-2013, 06:02 AM   #4
tosh
O Derby, Where Art Thou?
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

There are 994 strictly public files (excluding Purchased, Secret, Token, and Skill Token) that are lower than FMO on the old 1-13 scale. There is no shortage of files catering to "non elites".
Old 07-16-2013, 06:03 AM   #5
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!

Also, a note, if you can see this or not, it's not very nice to call out the players on this site that have worked to where they're at and call them elitist.

Just a food for thought, dohoho.

Quote:
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it

All of the other Snivies
Join in any Snivy games

Quote:
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:03 AM   #6
YoshL
Celestial Harbor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to YoshL Send a message via MSN to YoshL Send a message via Skype™ to YoshL

lol this is probably the harshest post i've ever written

Quote:
Definition: Worse than locked content: It means content that is locked for some, but not for others, and some can't unlock it. Then it's just like locked content is on other games, but worse, because you know some other people got it unlocked.
It's locked content either way. It's just that you actually have to work hard if you want to unlock it. It's not worse, it just requires work. Maybe you're lazy.
Quote:
1. First, and although obvious, still important: That some players can't play certain songs. Maybe not a big deal to some, but there's one song I think sounds just so beautiful and I'll never get to play it so this isn't a small point.
stepmania. or, use that motivation to get good enough to unlock the skill token.

Quote:
The social disconnect. I don't feel on the same ground on the forums as the players that have the really hard skill tokens. It's an extra way they can connect but I can't, and although I've added a bunch of them to my ignore list, it still just seems so annoying all the time.
...You're ignoring people because they're better than you. That's just so incredibly self centered, it's not even funny. It's pretty much saying "You guys are better than me, but shouldn't be so i'll ignore you"

Quote:
The difficulty.
in this category, IMO, this game might even be dead last among all games ever made.
seriously, you need to stop being so butthurt. If you can't unlock tokens, use it as /motivation/

Quote:
The target audience and its implications. Back in the old days, I had played this game more than anyone else. I thought it was one of the most fun games ever made and it was made so that the highly dedicated fans like myself could really enjoy it. But now look. It's clearly catering to the very best players as the target audience. So, the staff, or some subset of it, hates all non-elite players. That's probably not the case, but that's how it comes across to me.
it's not catering to the best players, it's wanting to see people have fun. It's an achievement system where you don't idle in game for 3 days for free stuff. It's work, but it's rewarding.

Quote:
The psychology effects on playing the game. I just feel like I can't enjoy the game anymore because of the above. I also feel like I don't have the determination to play it very good anymore.
then stop playing! Seriously, there's nothing stopping you from playing if you're so disappointed in the system, that you're really only complaining about because of selfish reasons. Helll, I want to play scarhand and Metro, but I haven't unlocked them. It's just up to me to say, OK I can hit this stupid anti-PA, or OK I can grind out a couple hours if I really want to play scarhand. You keep saying that you want to play all these skill tokens but don't want to try to get them. Stop wanting to be force fed achievement, and grow up maybe[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Only yours, for an easy price of $19.99! You too can experience the wonders of full motion rump sticking.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:05 AM   #7
EzExZeRo7497
FFR Veteran

Quote:
There's only three types of "unlockable" files: Secret (You can unlock all of them by reaching 150,000 credits), Purchased (which you have to BUY through the store which totals to around 45,000 or so) and Skill Tokens. People unlock skill tokens through their ability to hit the file accurately or through anti-PA. Either way, it requires skill. If you don't have it, try to work harder for one, simple enough. Credits aren't too hard to get these days, you can participate in tournaments and you'd usually get 15,000-40,000 to begin with.

Quote:
2. The social disconnect. I don't feel on the same ground on the forums as the players that have the really hard skill tokens. It's an extra way they can connect but I can't, and although I've added a bunch of them to my ignore list, it still just seems so annoying all the time. As it stands now, I would rather just try to stay away from them. And they like their little elite group so that they'll defend the tokens, and seeing that they probably make the majority of the posts around here since most of the weaker players have already had enough of the worse than locked content and quit. As such, the tokens are probably not going away.
I have tokens (Scarhand, vROFL, Metro) that are considered to be some of the hardest to get on all of FFR and I still talk to people who don't have those tokens, I seriously don't know anyone who's really that elitist. There's a lot of higher-level players (namely majority of D6 and D7) who interact with players who are less skilled than they are (D3-D5) so I really don't understand how you're assuming this. I don't think you'll even read this post to begin with because you probably blocked me because I have the 'really hard skill tokens'.

Quote:
3. The difficulty. No, not what you likely think. What I mean is that, in my rating of video games, this used to have the best possible rating. Why? Because you could just play songs of any level and have fun with them. Now, it's the worst possible difficulty level where it's ridiculously hard to unlock too many things. I have played tons of other games, and absolutely none of the other ones have anything nearly as hard to unlock as this game does. So, in this category, IMO, this game might even be dead last among all games ever made.
Skill tokens are not only meant to cater towards players that are D1-D5. There should be some hard to get tokens so that it can cater every player, regardless of skill level. Other than that, you do not need to be at a particular skill level to get ~200,000 credits at all.

Quote:
4. The target audience and its implications. Back in the old days, I had played this game more than anyone else. I thought it was one of the most fun games ever made and it was made so that the highly dedicated fans like myself could really enjoy it. But now look. It's clearly catering to the very best players as the target audience. So, the staff, or some subset of it, hates all non-elite players. That's probably not the case, but that's how it comes across to me.
If this game caters more towards "the very best players", there should be files that are difficulty 80 or higher. There wouldn't be any tournaments that have D1-D5 as divisions. The staff does not ridicule anyone due to skill level. In fact, there are some D2-D5 players in the staff to begin with.

Quote:
5. The psychology effects on playing the game. I just feel like I can't enjoy the game anymore because of the above. I also feel like I don't have the determination to play it very good anymore.
Stop thinking of reasons of why you think this game is elitist and start thinking of becoming better.

thank you

Last edited by EzExZeRo7497; 07-16-2013 at 06:09 AM..
Old 07-16-2013, 06:05 AM   #8
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!

Oh dang... I WARNED YOU DOUG!

Quote:
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it

All of the other Snivies
Join in any Snivy games

Quote:
Old 07-16-2013, 06:08 AM   #9
Coolboyrulez0
VICES
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

You sound like the most pretentious passive-aggressive OP I have ever seen wow

Posters above me have dissected your thoughts pretty well... oh well, guess I'll end up on your ignore list for this post, eh?
Old 07-16-2013, 06:10 AM   #10
YoshL
Celestial Harbor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to YoshL Send a message via MSN to YoshL Send a message via Skype™ to YoshL

too bad half of us are on his ignore list so he'll never see how crappy that post was

like seriously, that's like, being friends with some celebrity before they became famous

then they go to stardom and you're like "fuck you you're better than me so i'll stop talking to you"
It's self centered, it's stupid, and no.

Quote:
Only yours, for an easy price of $19.99! You too can experience the wonders of full motion rump sticking.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:12 AM   #11
Shiki.
Tsundere
FFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Only one token bothers me. This should be an event token not d7 exclusive.

47. Unconnected.
13 Users have found token 47!
D7 Exclusive Token

perhaps made into a skilltoken for anyone who has a 90+ AAA
Old 07-16-2013, 06:13 AM   #12
Coolboyrulez0
VICES
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshL View Post
too bad half of us are on his ignore list so he'll never see how crappy that post was

like seriously, that's like, being friends with some celebrity before they became famous

then they go to stardom and you're like "fuck you you're better than me so i'll stop talking to you"
It's self centered, it's stupid, and no.
Yeah but Doug, accoring to his statements and attitude, should be an even bigger and more well-known celebrity than the fictional celebrity: without working for it. Hahaha.

Oh well I'm gonna bail, this thread is doomed. I just hope he can remedy his hyper-pretentious self-entitled attitude.

Last edited by Coolboyrulez0; 07-16-2013 at 06:16 AM..
Old 07-16-2013, 06:15 AM   #13
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!

The D7 token was something so the players in D7 can get something for getting up there in the division.

And equally the D7 token is a really hard file fit for the players up there and was used as a tournament song for them. So eh... I'm indifferent about that token.

Quote:
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it

All of the other Snivies
Join in any Snivy games

Quote:
Old 07-16-2013, 06:17 AM   #14
EzExZeRo7497
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiki. View Post
Only one token bothers me. This should be an event token not d7 exclusive.

47. Unconnected.
13 Users have found token 47!
D7 Exclusive Token

perhaps made into a skilltoken for anyone who has a 90+ AAA
Except a 90+ AAA is more than D7, lmao. As long as you participate in an official tournament as D7, you get the token. It shows that you ARE D7, that's it. The file is terrible anyway, lol.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:19 AM   #15
Shiki.
Tsundere
FFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Quote:
The D7 token was something so the players in D7 can get something for getting up there in the division.

And equally the D7 token is a really hard file fit for the players up there and was used as a tournament song for them. So eh... I'm indifferent about that token.
Makes sense, just the idea of a token like that is annoying.

Should just be another, oni, scarhand it works well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzExZeRo7497 View Post
Except a 90+ AAA is more than D7, lmao. As long as you participate in an official tournament as D7, you get the token. It shows that you ARE D7, that's it. The file is terrible anyway, lol.

Fair, I would just like to see a clearcut way to have the file

I don't hate people who have tokens I don't though.

Last edited by Shiki.; 07-16-2013 at 06:21 AM..
Old 07-16-2013, 06:29 AM   #16
Izzy
Snek

Stepmania.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:41 AM   #17
loop123456
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to loop123456

The reason people dont like you isnt because you dont have skill tokens

Old 07-16-2013, 06:56 AM   #18
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Absurd. Achievement tokens and skill tokens provide an incentive to get better at this game and they are in no way preventing users from experiencing the full spectrum of difficulty, and they are definitely not blocking out a portion of the fun like you're suggesting. If you're so thick as to say that having "locked content" is ruining the game, you can just stop playing games altogether since a vast majority of games nowadays have some type of unlockable as a reward for playing the game for a certain duration or playing the game well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug31
After all that, is there any way I can hope to get back to actually thinking this game is good again? The game is just so fun I want to have a way that I can keep liking it, but I don't think there is one.
???????? The game being fun isn't enough of a reason to keep playing it? Sorry to hear it, bro. I heard that kid icarus game was pretty fun you should try that.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:08 AM   #19
kjwkjw
>w<
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Agreed with rushy's post. If you find the game fun, you shouldn't be looking for a reason to "keep liking it," right?

To address the question you proposed in the thread title, the main advice I can give you is to shoot for personal improvements instead of comparing yourself to other "good" players.

Goodbye and good riddance, military service (February 23, 2015 ~ February 22, 2017)
Project Sekai 437 / Princess Connect! ReDive 265
Old 07-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #20
arcnmx
nanodesu~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to arcnmx

Quote:
I've added a bunch of them to my ignore list, it still just seems so annoying all the time. As it stands now, I would rather just try to stay away from them.
...what...

The thing about competitive games most players have to learn to deal with is that there's always going to be someone better than you. If you feel top players are part of some elitist group, well that's unfortunate, but skill tokens certainly have nothing to do with it.

Tokens are in a fairly poor position right now though. They're somewhat nice to have since they give players something to aim for, but it sucks that not everyone gets to play the songs. Then those who do unlock them rarely play them for various reasons (don't count for ranks, opponents in mp/tournaments might not have them, etc).

Quote:
You're right, this game is pretty goddamn hard to 100% - good luck AAAing everything.

P.S. the worse than locked content in this game is secret songs.

FMO AAAs (1): Within Life :: FGO AAAs (1): Einstein-Rosen Bridge
Closed Thread