Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2022, 09:23 PM   #21
Blondeybear
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: FFRMas 2022 Token Giveaway!

Why did you join FFR and what makes you stick around?
I joined FFR in 2009 when I was discovering my love for rhythm games. Despite me trying numerous other rhythm games I always come back to FFR due to the complexity in it's simplicity. It isn't a flashy game (Despite it being an OG flash game -hahahehe), it doesn't have complicated hold sequences, or crazy game modes but it has always been about simply accuracy in just hitting the notes. That is why I will always continue to play.

What is the story behind your username?
My username is actually a nickname from when I was in high school. My freshman year I had to bright idea of dyingg my hair bleach blonde with black tips. It was terrible. But on the first day an random dude came up to me and said blondeybear was my name and it was that from then on. (The name is no longer a name I respond to as I got older)

Who from FFR makes a significant impact on your involvement in the community and why? (For example this can be someone from FFR you idolize/respect, an FFR rival that pushes you to improve, or a good friend from FFR that you made since joining.)
I would say the people that have made a significant impact on me and FFR would be Rapta and One Winged Angel (they were god mod status when I first started playing and I remember spectating them wishing I was that good), SNOWLEGENED and Dewdew (can't remember the rest of his username. SNOW for helping me push my ability to read high notes per second and at the lower levels offering me a sense of rivalry and Dewdew for bestowing upon me the mentality of the importance of accuracy with the saying 'If you hit more than 30 goods in a chart then that chart is to difficult for your skill level'.

What kind of feature would you want the most in FFR? (Can be for the game or the website.)
I would LOVE to see a multiway lobby. Like 10 people playing charts rather than just the 1v1. That would be sick.
Blondeybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 09:35 PM   #22
Lights
owo
Head of Events Team
Event StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Yyorshire recommended this game to me- I stuck around because I like some of the files and the community is pretty cool

based on one of the shortest peoms- lighght

Who from FFR makes a significant impact on your involvement in the community and why? (For example this can be someone from FFR you idolize/respect, an FFR rival that pushes you to improve, or a good friend from FFR that you made since joining.)
Peace to- Eppy, Eggy, Zlyice, Frostwind47, Hayden, Jon, Haku, Rapta, Xtrafestive, Skayles, Revo, Tosh, Cup, T-force, Storn, Pizza, Sploder, Matt, Oppiie, Flynn, Jacob, April and a ton of other people that im struggling to list off with 30 seconds of thought. I can't say I have much as far as direct rivals or idols go, but everyone i've competed with in D5 and D6 over the last two OTs have definitely made lots of fun FFR memories for me. Huge Respect to Goldstinger and Velocity for a banger OT15 as well

What kind of feature would you want the most in FFR? (Can be for the game or the website.)
Rate-mod leaderboards. for the love of heck please. (i literally wrote you an example of how to sort them owl man ;-; Pat made you a UI mock up for it. come ooooooon)

Last edited by Lights; 12-16-2022 at 09:54 PM..
Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 10:04 PM   #23
ositzxz369
Venetian Snares stepper
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

-Old SM youtube vids from StepmaniaFreak (who moved on from SM) made me google DDR Online. Stepmania's UI was really annoying, so widget-era FFR was the better/easier option. Fastforward a bunch of years, I probably learned about Venetian Snares while exploring m1dy-related music. I stuck around when I learned that I can get ppl to listen to VS (and other good peepee music) by stepping it for FFR.

-"osit" is RL name-related, "zxz" is the Family Farce song, "369" is a lyric from Lil Jon's Get Low song

-mi40 stepped aural masterpieces like Herbie and Epidermis v2, which influenced me to step VS as good as that.

-Songs should get their BPMs/BPM range listed.
Old 12-16-2022, 10:14 PM   #24
storn42
RIP Storn D0-D0
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I just randomly stumbled across this game one day on kongregate. needed an account to play mp so i made one. I then proceeded to NOT hang around disappeared for a year before remembering the game exists. Then i remembered the game existed made this account, was confused how i didn't have an account already and shrugged it off. Now the game, community itself makes me stick around. And of course I always want to see my latest and greatest charts get released.

So one day i was playing a game, i think it was Knights of the Old Republic, and i needed to create a name. I thought about it, then i pressed the S key. Its a good letter, one i quite like myself, but what could possibly follow it up?! I know, next a T. A good strong start but next we need some sort of vowel. You know what i think O is a pretty good one. Next maybe another consonant? yes, but maybe.lets try R. okay this is almost good, we're getting somewhere but we need to finish it off somehow... maybe a k? no.. a v? thats too wierd. I've got it! lets put an N to finish it off! S-T-O-R-N, Storn, yea that sounds good enough. But wait, sometimes i cant get just Storn and need a number. 42 is a great number. Its the answer to life the universe and everything. Perfect "Storn43" God damn it i made a typo. (but yes it is just random letters i typed that sounded good)

Who from FFR makes a significant impact on your involvement in the community and why?
Everyone pretty much. Its been different groups at different times, from the TWG community who help me push into FFR as a whole, or my D5 rivals for OT14 pushing me onwards. Of course there is always the Discord gang. In general it hard to say just one person, but the community as a whole is one of the best in all of rhythm gaming.

What kind of feature would you want the most in FFR?

Song imports like in the AF engine, Or isolation in the AV engine. Its hard to playtest specific sections of a nearly 18 minute chart with just FFR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
"I think storn is town but he doesn't have a shirt on" - Roundbox
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
I have beat my meat to storn's posts no less than four times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoWolfe View Post

storn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 10:24 PM   #25
jh05013
oh hi
Event StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Found FFR from Kongregate forums. Looked cool so joined immediately. At one point I left FFR and visited many other rhythm games, but ultimately came back to FFR after 7 years when I suddenly heard of this game again. Never left since then thanks to its lightweight design and the community.

It was automatically generated by my elementary school. jh was the initial of the name of my elementary school, and 05013 was sort of a student ID. I wasn't creative enough to think of any other username so I started using it everywhere.

Who from FFR makes a significant impact on your involvement in the community and why?

Pizza and April for their heartwarming support with regards to FFR and stepcharting. Especially, Pizza was one of the people I knew from the beginning because he was also in Kongregate. I was surprised when he immediately recognized me just from the Recently Played list after 7 years.

Permission thread v9. It really needs to be updated.
jh05013 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 10:30 PM   #26
badman7772
It happens for a reason.
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

15+ years of time here to explain some stuff so if this ends up being a wall of text, I do not apologize. It's all too important to TLDR/spoiler this.

I joined FFR randomly when I had some sort of urge to play DDR with the arrow keys. I didn't know what StepMania even was until I YouTube'd "Finger DDR" way back in 2007. One day I came across FFR via YouTube with all the StepMania videos and got more curious about it, so I Googled it and came across the actual game on the website. At that point, I was hooked, and my online life would change forever.

At first I didn't know there was a community, let alone knew I could interact with others. As someone that didn't have the greatest High School...or even the most interesting life ever, this was awesome considering my whole rest of my junior year and summer break would just end up being nothing but me playing FFR anyways.

The community and the everlasting new content even to this day is why I stuck around all these years. It also gave me goals to achieve when IRL didn't offer anything at the time, or was too long term (i.e. Graduating from college).

Way back in 2004 my brother showed me pogo.com (lol) and when I made an account I had to come up with a username. I was told I was a bad bad man way back in the day and I'd get in trouble in school at the time for doing Middle School things. I meeeeean I didn't know any better! Maybe i did...

It was originally gonna be "badman777" but that was taken already, so I added the 2 at the end and that's how I got to "badman7772." It looks better to me anyways.

This honestly might be the longest answer. There are too many people to even name (past and present) that I've interacted with, but I'm going to have a few honorable mentions.

Gonna start off with TheSaxRunner05 for making the FFR Trading Card Game back in 2015. This is where my involvement kinda took off and it ultimately led to me having what would go to on be 2 stints on the Events team up to this point. I can't tell the future, but who knows what will happen later on.

Rivals were definitely a thing too. I had quite a few of them over the years, but the ones that stood out the most were T-Force and MarcusHawkins. For some reason we would most of the time have the same skill level as where I would be at the time, and my competitiveness would always lead me to trying my hardest to get that edge. If they're still confused on why they're mentioned, don't ask. :P It's Only Natural.

I also want to shout out FlynnMac/Klarion for always wanting to win at everything I host and genuinely being a wholesome person for his age. I KNOW IT MAKES ME SOUND OLD. SHUT UP. Also shout out to Skayles as well for being one of those people that would make voice chats very fun and make hours go by. Last shout out here goes to MKIIPro for being literally the funniest man alive in these voice chats. CAN WE NOT FORGET THE FFR DISCOUNT AT WENDYS?! I know there were others, but those I mentioned here stood out the most.

I know I blew up a lot of convos on messengers over the years. Just know if I did, you're amazing. You really are. Same with those people who really took the time out of their day to message me. It's all greatly appreciated.

Like I said though, there have been a lot more people than I can ever remember that made me who I am now, which is the greatest thing that can ever happen. Thank you guys from the bottom of my heart. This will forever be my home no matter how many times I leave.

I'm honestly not sure. Do we have custom background's yet? Not just the sides but the entire background. If we do someone show me. LOL!
Old 12-16-2022, 10:59 PM   #27
jacobvl39
Difficulty Consultant
Difficulty ConsultantFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I joined on a whim and have stuck around because of how well the game is run compared to other rhythm games. We have people who know what they're doing judging the simfiles and difficulty ratings, so I don't have to worry about finding packs and not knowing if they're any good, if the difficulties are accurate, or which files and rates will trick the automated rating system into giving the most inflated ranks.

It's just my name, the only story is a lack of creativity on my part.

Ankerserm and Jackal0949 for lots of fun MP sessions when I was getting started
revolutionomega for being one of the first people I talked to in Discord and inspiring me to push for higher levels
M0nkeyz, tru, pizza69 for the advice and encouragement learning to chart
Plus all the people who hang out on the brag board, too many to list but you know who you are

I would like to have a smoother and bug-free multiplayer experience
jacobvl39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 04:30 AM   #28
Elite Ninja
Kawaii Desu
Difficulty Consulting Cat
Difficulty ConsultantFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

When I joined FFR I was playing DDR at my local YMCA and some person thought I was pretty good and then introduced me to FFR by playing flight of the bumblebee on a computer there. I remembered the website in my head for when I got home so that I could check it out and play at home. I wanted to get as good at FFR as I was at DDR naturally since I was a competitive kid back then so I would play often at home when I couldn't be at the YMCA playing DDR. Eventually the DDR pads at the YMCA were broken by some children mis-treating them and so I no longer had access to easy DDR pads and stuck to playing FFR only since. Eventually FFR became the first place I ever got involved online with other people through any sort of chatting and being on forums etc. There's many things that kept me hooked to the game whether it be the community I got involved with and friends I made, the many stats I could keep track of and goals I could set for myself, the feeling of progressively getting better at the game and tournaments, lots of music that I enjoyed discovering and jamming to, the identity/relate-ability that FFR brings to all the songs/charts within the game, etc.

There's not really much of a story behind my username. I've had multiple usernames mainly because I would make one and then eventually think it's bad/cringe and then fast forward later to this one where I was trying to come up with some cool combination of words again and landed on "Elite Ninja". I honestly don't even remember how I came up with this name, was probably just brainstorming a bunch of words together relating to things I liked at the time which ninja could have been from ninja turtles, ninja movies in general, or naruto I don't really remember. Put the word Elite in front of it and thought it sounded cool and so I stuck with it. So much is tied to this username now so I am kind of stuck with it, otherwise I would have probably been going by a totally different username right now as I've made more usernames after this one but never stuck to those because again... too much investment already on my Elite Ninja account that can't be transferred to a new one.

Oh man my answer for this question is hard as there's been many people who've been an impact for me over my lifetime on FFR for many different reasons. Shoutouts to "The Skype Room", a group of people that's evolved over time and who I've been involved with for so long over the years and is the sole reason I am still involved in the FFR community and who I am super grateful to call my friends. Special shoutout to kjwkjw who I've known the longest in the group and has been with me since the beginning of my adventures through FFR and was the one to reach out to me to pull me back in to this wonderful group of people when I had been away for so long <3. Shoutouts to bmah for being a huge help in getting me started with stepping for FFR as I wouldn't have ever made any charts without him and idolized him as well as shoutouts to some of my other stepping idols MarioNintendo, WirryWoo, and M0nkeyz. Shoutouts to Hakulyte, Jerry DB,, awein999, XJ-9, WirryWoo, T-Force, kjwkjw, SK8R43, tosh, Discord bragboard and many many many other friendly rivals I've had over the past many years that have pushed me to improve at the game and made it fun and enjoyable :3. Also huge shoutouts to the people who host events and tournaments throughout the years to make FFR more fun and interesting and the staff members that have kept the site and game alive for so long!

Sorry if I forgot anyone ;-;

Hmmm I think it would be cool if FFR saved rate scores somewhere and had a separate leaderboard for them but not count towards any sort of rankings or skill rating etc. Just more of a for fun feature.

(other features that would be nice is the ability to isolate in the AF engine which would really help with playtesting charts I'm making easier, and the ability to have custom themes for the play window of FFR which I've seen gold stinger have something like this on his FFR engine I believe.

Last edited by Elite Ninja; 12-17-2022 at 08:06 PM..
Elite Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 05:47 AM   #29
Hakulyte
the Haku
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I'll switch the order of the questions so, it's more chronological.

Long story short is that I have an old Ragnarok Online Guild that was called "The Missing Nins" (as ninjas) with the obvious Naruto thematic. Zabuza was the guild leader and it was someone I spent years with organizing raids etc. I was actually known as "Eternity" in that era. I was part of an elite group that played a ton and raced to get on top of the level leaderboard. He was the 1st assassin to reach level 99 and about 3 days later, I got the #2 spot and made it to level 99 as well. It might seems mundane said like that, but it took 3 years to do so and I was playing in average 10 hours/day consistently at the detriment of my health.

A few days later, I permanently loss my account and eventually quit due to letting an irl friend check the server on my account. While I wasn't paying attention, he managed to pick a fight with the main admin and break several rules over a misunderstanding of how things works. That ruined an irl friendship to some extent. I guess it's my fault for not realizing how different people can be irl and online.

After explaining myself, I was told I could start a new account from zero and keep playing, but I didn't want to grind another 3 years nonstop to get back to where I was before. So, I just quit. It was just impossible to catch up with the server economy at that point. I missed my chance. As a momento of those times, I decided to move from "Eternity" to "Haku", but "Haku" was already taken on FFR, so, I fused the "Elite" part with it to make "Hakulyte".

The ease of access and replay value made me both stay and stick around on FFR. If I was tied to the community, I think I would have quit at same time as other older generations of players. I just genuinely liked to try to beat my own scores and care little about competition. That being said, I enjoy watching others grow as players and improve at the game over time.

If Velocity didn't unban me in 2009 after the site went back online, I wouldn't be here today. That's significant. His dedication on the coding side of the game was also really impressive to me over the years. Honorable mention to PrawnSkunk as well.

If we're talking strictly players, it would most likely be DossarLX ODI with the Death Piano score along with others like RATO, but also brutal engine scores/SM scores. It just felt unreal at the time. If we're including SM, I'd mention ThaoR in terms of impact.

If we're talking actual involvement with the site then it would be Hateandhatred for literally making me leave my home to attend Anime North and meet some FFRers in person.

Anyone who felt like talking to me at any point over anything FFR related over the years. There's a ton of old names I would name, but most of them are no longer on the site. The rest probably already know who they are.

Oh, they're already trying to rebuild the engine. If this somehow make the game run smoothly here then that would be it. There's still a few "framefix" things left, but a lot of it has been taken care of already.
Hakulyte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 11:56 AM   #30
Wiosna
for you, eternally
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I joined when FFR came back up because I didn't have a rhythm game community to be around. The community was welcoming back when I first joined and it has been welcoming since, though with its ups and downs. I also stick around because the FFR charting scene is intriguing and is a nice contrast from other communities.

Current username is the name of the track used in the main menu of Katawa Shoujo.

AutotelicBrown is the easiest answer, but otherwise VisD and radioamor are the main two people that come to mind when it comes to sticking around in the community. There are many others too (tosh, XtraFestive, Pizza69, BigHayden1, Lights, etc.) of course.

A multiple month-long event a la Stamina RPG, where there are many many songs (~100) to unlock and you can track your progress based on quests/challenges for all skill levels that you've completed or a leaderboard system that shows you how well you perform under some metrics (e.g. your Amazing accuracy, number of AAAs, skill rating, length-adjusted skill rating, etc.).

Last edited by Wiosna; 12-17-2022 at 11:59 AM..
Wiosna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 12:42 PM   #31
FFR Pro 21
FFR R1 Vaporeon
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to FFR Pro 21

Before joining FFR, I had stumbled on some YouTube videos of players playing songs on StepMania. Back then I thought that this was an amazing kind of game where any song you could think of could be played in the game, so I tried looking up on Google games that were just like the YouTube videos I saw way back then and see if I could play them myself. After a little while I stumbled upon FFR and gave it a try myself. Soon after I got hooked playing it and wanted to get good at the game, so I made an account.

What made me stuck around for all these years on FFR is certainly the community as a whole seeing the website grow to what it is today with everyone's contributions to the site whether it was new songs to the game, tournaments, new site features, new achievements/milestones to unlock, etc. It's been great to be apart of the rhythm gaming community and FFR for all these years.

Really to be honest my username was just pretty much made up out of thin air, and back in 2009 I'm sure there were many teenagers that when they first made gaming accounts, they wanted to make their usernames sound intimidating as if they were all MLG pro gamers and such. After a while of playing and grinding FFR though (and StepMania as well, especially during the 10 month period that the FFR site was down if anyone on here remembers that), I actually noticed that I was getting quite good at the game and entered the 6th Official Tournament in Division 5 (back then there were only 6 divisions) where I made it to round 4 after being eliminated. After that, I just ran with the username to this day from YouTube, to Twitch, to speedrunning, and so on.

Man, it is so hard to name everyone that has had a significant impact on why I've been involved with the FFR/rhythm gaming community after all this time. I've had many friends/rivals that I've had great interactions with over the years whether it was on this site, on Skype, on Discord, or in-person at a Games Done Quick or Anime North. The best part of rhythm gaming communities I've learned over the years is pushing the limits as to what is humanly possible, and back when I was playing FFR hardcore, I loved seeing others reach new heights/milestones/limits in the game and it motivated me to go achieve them myself seeing that it can be done. Hopefully I can find that kind of hardcore motivation again with FFR, but life and other things I have to do makes finding that drive pretty difficult.

There's a couple features I would like to see added to FFR:
1) Having separate level ranks and leaderboards for songs played on rates other than 1.0, and have the scores calculated/ranked based on it. Of course, a score that plays on a higher song rate should be ranked higher than one that is played on a lower one, even if they both score the same amount of raw goods.

2) The option to have the song's pitch either change or stay the same based on whether you play on a higher/lower song rate than 1.0. I know in FFR the pitch changes when you use song rates other than 1.0, but some other rhythm games have the pitch stay the same regardless of how fast or slow you play a song.
FFR Pro 21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 02:59 PM   #32
WirryWoo
Forever Derbyless
Retired StaffFFR Simfile Author

I was introduced to FFR by my high school orchestra friends. I really enjoy playing games that continually engage me (like tapping alongside the music) under a setting where self-improvement is important. For these reasons, I continue to stay around trying to explore how much more I can accomplish on FFR while making great FFRiends along the way.

One of my closest online friends (who I actually met through FFR), made a joke to call me "Willy-woo" since "Willy" is one of my least favorite nicknames. Myself wanting to add a stereotypical Asian spin to my name at a young age, my name became WirryWoo. Ever since then, I really felt that this username is super personalized and continually use it as my online alias.

Shoutouts to all of my closest FFRiends, namely XJ-9, T-Force, Niala, Elite Ninja, Sky Kitten, bmah, SK8R43 and Trumpet63 (definitely missing a handful more here) who have continually supported me throughout the many years I've been with FFR. They've encouraged me to continue stepping files, improving my personal bests, and supporting my data science efforts in trying to improve the overall player experience on FFR.

I have been working on creating a difficulty model using data science and machine learning to help difficulty consultants make decisions with identifying difficulties of new files, and worked on writing Python code to help improve Official Tournament placements. I have plans to continue those efforts (been juggling with IRL, other side projects, and work, so I have been busy), but ideally I would like to see all of these prototypes eventually make its way to becoming future features for FFR.

Last edited by WirryWoo; 12-17-2022 at 03:01 PM..
WirryWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 03:43 PM   #33
HBar
2020 Returnee
FFR Veteran

I think I first saw it linked on Metafilter, or maybe the PvP Forums/Forumopolis (this would have been right around the time the forums split off from any association with PvP the webcomic and became their own separate thing). I played every once in a while for a few years, never really noticed or became part of the community, and eventually drifted away.

Then in Jan 2020 when I read all major browsers were ending their support for Flash, I thought back to FFR and wondered if it was still around and what would happen to it. I downloaded the client to see how it worked now, and then I got hooked.

I had previously cycled through a few online usernames that I ended up disliking after a little while. I remember there was a regular poster on the Keenspot forums whose username was Pi, and I liked that kind of idea of a username that would be something timeless and that I could always be satisfied with no matter what else changes. I took a modern physics course in my junior year of high school, and I saw the constant h-bar show up in nearly every equation related to quantum mechanics, so I chose that as my next username. And I was right, I've been happy with it for more than 20 years.

I can think of two moments that were formative for me. One was when I happened to watch this video that Matthia posted: https://www.flashflashrevolution.com...p?songid=15152. The joke was that he was playing a mere difficulty 80 song instead of Tachyon Beam Cannon, but at the time I was level 20-something and difficulty 80 was still way above anything I thought I'd ever be able to handle. And he made it look easy, like it'd be achievable for a mere mortal with enough practice. And it motivated me to work harder on emulating those kinds of clean, precise keystrokes at a time whne I was still struggling not to split my jumps or to buttonmash when songs got too fast for me.

The other formative moment was during the Stuck at Home tournament, my first tournament and my first real interation with the FFR community. I was still in D1, not quite D2 yet, and everything was going perfectly for me in the first seven rounds. The songs all had difficulties and playstyles that I suited me well, and I was getting the best score in my division each round. First place was starting to look like a sure thing, until Round 8 when we got struck with Silly Videogame Bleep Bloops at difficulty 66. I couldn't keep up with a song that fast, and freestylemisha managed to do a little better on it. I struggled with that song for days, and I think it was during that time that I learned how to practice parts of songs in isolation. Eventually my practice paid off and I was able to just barely edge past freestylemisha's score with a day left. Then he played exactly one more time, beating my new score by just one good out of 100+. I tried and tried to take the lead once more, but at that point the frustration and exhaustion were making my scores worse instead of better, and I ended up in second place.

That frustration and that lesson in how much every good matters is part of what motivated me to get a mechanical keyboard and 144Hz monitor, and I've been really happy with both. They definitly help my scores a little bit, and now when I still lose I can be confident that it's due entirely to skill.

And of course I should mention the whole community here and so many of the people I've been in tournaments with. Themastergrant, Deathserpent2, Puzzler64, and so many others, you all have been great to play against and you motivate me to keep improving.

In the earliest version of FFR, I remember there were at least one or two secret songs that were only accessible by clicking the right places. It might be fun to have a few easter eggs like that again (or maybe there already are and I just don't know about them).
Old 12-17-2022, 04:36 PM   #34
Matthia
🍍Pineapple Man🍍
Difficulty ConsultantFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

As a fun little fact, I was desperately looking for a game like this when I was 8. But I had absolutely no idea what it was called, aside from knowing Guitar Hero and searching that up with the additional phrase "on keyboard". After that I kind of gave up trying and it was around 7 years later when I finally stumbled across a small YouTuber playing a short clip of StepMania. Without hesitation I looked up StepMania and wanted to install it right away, but I only had a chromebook which didn't support .exe files back then. That was the moment when I kept scrolling through the search results and finally found FFR, supporting an in-browser version of the game.
I stuck around for a long time because I just love this game so much and I can't stop playing it, especially when considering me having looked for a game like this forever

Originally wanted to have Matthias (which, technically I could have gotten it in a cheeky way), but it was already used so I just took away the s

Ultimately, it was Rapta. If it wasn't for him I wouldn't have gotten to the point where I am right now, or at least not as close. It was when I found a video of him playing Amber Shores on 1.2x and got impressed at how fast he was. That was practically the spark and the peak of my inspiration to get good at FFR. Rapta has done so much for this community and I cannot hesitate to say how much I appreciate his impact and involvement.
I joined the FFR Discord about a year later after creating my FFR account, though I really wished I would have done that right away. Nonetheless, I created so many friends along the way including Rapta, so I might as well...

Shoutouts to Haku, samurai, shadow 1800, smartdude1212, evil smoke, Walrusizer, MikeShinoda, Etienne, Lily, Dynam0, TeRa, leonid, Zoobin, SoFast, Herogashix, Yonk, Oppiie, Charissa, Preggers, Ultimega, katana, klimt, Marcus, SK8R43, 11brendon, Flossy, SpaceGorilla/External, Dugatee, gold stinger, paexaea, heather, Godnick, Awein, badman7772, MrRubix, kainivy, qrrbrbirbel, Phynx, Drayk, DriveThruVortex, basicdrummerman, Blondeybear, Kukulaka, Xyronic, Riotpolice, XxXMetalheadXxX, danredge, URL, benguin, MrMan, Antori, Idimoku, Shoepert, Devonin, PhantomPuppy, Moria, SmexxxyBeast, YoungTimer, Precarious, Pretentious, IWasASquidOnce, snooches, Cryolien, arere, aurumjolteon, Aery, Jaquan, WinterIsPretty, The~J~Maxx, Hairy Cabbage, RadiantVibe, Blackskull, Devilchilly, snaphap, Andrew, Messyy, Josemba, Gradiant, Deamerai, OWA, Dossar, Synthlight, SquidBits, Kayla, AJ, kadef, MrNomstien, Xeromus, sel, Toaphster, Caliber, Elekton, lemonguy, thom, Alice, April, Mipha, PhilGh3, Sidek, Yyorshire, Zageron, Force, bmah, Sky Kitten, melloncollie, thesunfan, XJ-9, Velocity, Psychotik, Rushy, Prawn, YoshL, Skullbac, aperson, Charu, rayword, kmay, alloyus, WalterToro, radioamor, Flynn, Skayles, XtraFestive, Pizza, LeftyRighty, tosh, Hayden, Ery, visD, cup, Lights, Zlyice, jh, Subaru, Mike, ositz, Revo, sploder12, Snupeh, Reshiram, Jade, akaunei, ToonE, FirstMaple8, Bamks, Fantasticone, lofty, Zeta, Foxfire, Windoze, Durvin, xurnub, Brasegali, JibsterGamez, mkxc3, mkdasher, MKIIPro, Charsiaha, NotSpiraling, QwertyVibin, scrambled, Novelties, MysticChromium, jacobvl39, 3lijah, Black_Shield, qqwref, Clarityfps, The_IL_Guy, AAAorQUIT, spongebobismysenpai, RB_Spirit, ShurykaN, Seoulslayer, RenegadeLucien, Trumpet63, Jon Loves DDR, Hateandhatred, Frostwind, awesomebox, justin (Xyr0), Frums, kommisar, uzzbuzz, Aquellex, Kurorak, Dr. Toboggan, hi19, choof, Fission, Nathan, Dragolord, CosmoVibe, IcyWorld, AllyDest, M0nkeyz, Tru, WirryWoo, dokinabi, Storn, Elite Ninja, mi40, DZ, suicidaln00b, FFR Pro 21, EppuJoloZ, UnityBoi, beeeboopbop, beetza, KrispyKreame, Nikita, lewis, thatcow, sintaelfan, Naheeno, PepperoniPeesah, Zenith, CrashTheBoard, ImperialTrinity, FullCombro, Junglesnipes, neptunefun, Newson, ASharpp, TristanJacob, oxygen, Eliminate, DevPlayzz, ricetoast, SillyFangirl, AnMaO, Myuka, mint, Hanatachi, Nakadashi, Takasakii, Thasyka, Camiloo, RyanDoesThings, Diamondblaze, Flade, Adriano, ZenovaX, Super Moe, 61xp, Pyriz, AP White, furioso6660, Puzzler64, drewma007, knuckles2224, Laplace, OcarinaBoi, Janko2000, Kawaii025, Logman6656, SC_coolguy44, sweet2kill210, Mr. Stepmaniac, VelVey, Deathserpent2, Xtreme2252, Instakil195, HBar, Fireo, DJ Vinyl, oOL3G1TxG4M3ROo, Fluttershy, Lycostria, SPV Labs, 123kappa3, the FFR Bank, the Veteran Checking Bot, and literally everyone else <3

Having the mp3's of files continue playing on to the results screen after finishing the file, rather than an instantaneous cut

Last edited by Matthia; 12-18-2022 at 09:56 AM..
Matthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 06:15 PM   #35
Black_Shield
Local Kiryu impersonator
FFR Veteran

It was 2016, Stepmania had a showcase at AGDQ, i thought it was cool. 2 ish months later, saw a youtube video with FFR in it, started using guests account, thought it was cool and wanted to collect my stats, so got an account and here i am now.

yee old OC name, no longer associated.

I think the collective of FFR, i'm usually an outside observer, i really don't have deep thoughts on progress and skills, or charts or the how game needs to be managed, i really don't have a brain that can so give such in-depth thinking on the evolution of this platform, but it's nice to read everything that people put out on the Forums or discord about.

-----------------
Stats: (spread)
3 Billion Achieved(and Veteran): July 31, 2022
4 Billion Achieved: April 1, 2023
5 Billion Achieved: July 27, 2023
Otaku Speedvibe [HEAVY]: December 5, 2023
Best AAA: Lunar Eclipse - a antion of moon #6 (51)
Best BF: Teeny Weeny String Bikini (54)
Best SDG: One Big Beautiful Sound (60)
Best FC: Bad Apple!! (62)

Last edited by Black_Shield; 12-17-2022 at 06:31 PM..
Black_Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 07:54 PM   #36
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I initially joined in high school because I saw someone playing the game, one of the very easy difficulty old songs on a computer in my high school's computer lab. I made an account and played a little, but it didn't interest me at the time. A few years later I heard about the site again, and this time I was hooked. I like the community here a lot, and especially enjoyed talking with a few close friends I had before I took a long break. However, I think what ultimately keeps me coming back is the enjoyment of playing the game itself, the great songs and charts that are available, and the ability to compete against others and always try to incrementally improve your scores.

It dates to around 2000 (yes really). At the time I was obsessed with languages, although I didn't have access to as the kind of material you can now easily find online, and especially with the way words were spelled and how they'd be pronounced. What would xx sound like, or qq? What if a q had a different letter than u after it? So when I wanted to sign up for Neopets, which was pretty big at the time, I put together a "word" that I thought was interesting and used that. I ended up using the same username for everything since it was never already in use, and eventually it became linked to too many achievements to ever change it.

Automatically rating the difficulty of files on rates and/or from custom engines I know, this is a very difficult project, but hopefully one I can contribute to.

Last edited by qqwref; 12-17-2022 at 07:55 PM..
qqwref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 08:48 PM   #37
SC_coolguy44
Harmonoize
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to SC_coolguy44

A friend who doesn't play the game anymore introduced me back in 2006. I stick around because of the amazing community and all the amazing new content still being added to the game. I also like all the new updates that have been added since I first started playing.
SC_coolguy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 10:08 PM   #38
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I liked DDR at the time, and I played on controller. I don't hang around much other than TWG. If TWG bores me pretty much I won't be around. Other than playing once in a while.

Xel is part of Xel'Naga from starcraft. Nya is a joke between someone else and me. So it just means godly meow if you wanna have fun with it. But I used it as a ban evade alt, among other things. If you know, you know.

I'd be more likely to remove than add. More a fan of clean up because innovation isn't my ballpark. I'm also not capable of code lol.

Sky Kitten and T-Force originally. TWG folks modernly. Hard to talk about the why, there's a lot of history here.
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 09:45 AM   #39
1M0
FFR Player

I like looking for new rhythm games I haven't played before, eventually I found FFR and just kept playing it. Sometimes there's games that just click for me and I guess this is just one of them.

I often went by "IMO" pretty much everywhere until I found out it can also be read as "in my opinion", thought that might get confusing sometimes so I changed some of the letters with numbers.

I haven't really spoken to anyone in the comunity, as I'm a bit shy, but most people here seem nice and I would love to interact with you all someday.
1M0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 10:02 AM   #40
snooches
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Joined after overhearing someone in middle school talking about available flash games to play and they mentioned FFR, was messing around with DDR at the time which I was enjoying, so hearing there was a computer version caught my attention. From there kinda just ran with it and just always stuck with it because its kind of a game that you can play as much or as little as you want while still holding interest, and just enjoying the exposure to a diverse range of music.

Previous username wasnt one I was never really set on, just ended up sticking with it because of the progress I had made on it over the years and had to commit to it at that point. Randomly decided on a "fresh" start so this name was born. Background on it, not really sure, kind of randomly popped up as an option. Wanted a simple looking name, and this one just seemed/sounded entertaining because of the ways its meaning could be interpreted.

Not really active or involved anymore, so for the most part its self driven/built in habit why I still lurk around, but there were def. a good chunk from the past. Name dropping a few (qqwref, sky kitten, reptile3141, sk8r43, kmay, jerry_db, etc etc) were prob the ones off of the top of my head I was most involved with around here.

A complete revamp of the site layout/design itself is for sure overdue. Current one has always bothered me and always felt it was lacking/not very efficient compared to what it could be.

Game wise, maybe a purely dedicated training engine of some sort that allows you to practice/modify to your liking training options on specific patterns, speeds, etc. that way you dont have to do it through isolating songs and other trial and error methods of practicing. Also, maybe a way to make it easier for a user to experiment with overall gameplay setups without having to constantly jump back and forth from the options page to gameplay (gameplay editor helps so much and doesnt give a true feel on how things play) to see if something feels right.
snooches is offline   Reply With Quote