Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-4-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
Patrik333
FFR Player

Default Mega Excited about this Game!

Hi,

I'm Patrik. 21 (22 this week!). I first got into rhythm games with SCGMD 3 on Kongregate. I loved that game loads and when SCGMD 4 came out, I played that one possibly even more.

Also in the last few months I got Sequence. I really enjoyed playing it, but I found the bonus mode (which is just standard rhythm games) more fun than the unique RPG/battle system in the end.

After playing Sequence I've been looking for a game where I can create/edit my own tracks, and after Googling, I came across FFR.

Comments on the game so far...

It is SO hard. When I played Spasmodic difficulty on Sequence, I remember thinking how easy SCGMD suddenly looked in comparison. With FFR, the effect is about 10x greater - "Standard"-"Tricky" translates to Spasmodic difficulty on Sequence, so I am already playing at what used to be my limit, and I still have far more levels of difficulty to master.

One thing I don't like is that there's no option to download the game. I know that it'd be impractical, since there's a huge library of songs, and the credit system wouldn't work offline either, but it'd be nice to be able to download my favourite tracks to play locally, for when I have no internet connection.

I'm also finding the lag quite frustrating - I used to get a bit of lag on SCGMD, before I got my new laptop. Since then, I've never had lag on SCGMD or Sequence, but on FFR sometimes the framerate can drop down to what feels like about 4 FPS, which can ruin a song for me. I'm playing on the R^3 Beta after having tried them all and liking the style best, but is this the best for reducing lag?

---------------

Anyway, I'm really pumped about this game - I can see that it'll probably occupy my attention for the next decade or so...

One question about creating songs - I know that it's illegal to create and upload stepfiles where the permission for the song has not been obtained, but is it possible to create a stepfile locally (and have some version of the game downloaded locally) and be able to use the stepfile for personal use only?

Cheers!

Patrik
Patrik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-4-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
Hakulyte
the Haku
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Mega Excited about this Game!

Songs are based on permissions from artists and are obviously not free to distribute so, you're unlikely to ever see a link to download FFR here.

For lag refer to standalone guide: http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...d.php?t=120256
Quote:
One question about creating songs - I know that it's illegal to create and upload stepfiles where the permission for the song has not been obtained, but is it possible to create a stepfile locally (and have some version of the game downloaded locally) and be able to use the stepfile for personal use only?
Yes, but you'll have to ask someone who's willing to help you with this. @ Someone who got the offline Engine and know how to add songs etc.

Good luck on developping your playstyle and getting closer over time on how to play this game. Pretty sure lots of people can help you if you need help.
Hakulyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-4-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
Dynam0
The Dominator
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

You need to download StepMania
Dynam0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-4-2013, 10:54 PM   #4
Emanresu13
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynam0 View Post
You need to download StepMania
play Solo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRubix View Post
^
Emanresu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-4-2013, 11:41 PM   #5
omega_grunt666
Nescio quid faciam
FFR Veteran

For the lag, I find it depends on what browser I'm using. IE/FF I have yet to find a way to make it run 100% smoothly, but for chrome its usually because there is two installations of flash by default. You just go to chrome://plugins, hit the little [+] and disable the one labelled Type: PPAPI (out-of-process). Also changing the flash settings (Right click the game -> settings) to Hardware Acceleration off and change the local cache to unlimited will usually improve performance.

The game will also stutter if the song is buffering, do you find that a song plays smoothly after a full run through that was choppy?

Anyways, sequence was amazing. You might also want to look into Crypt of the Necrodancer, its still in development but its a kind of rhythm/rpg/rogue-like. (Reminds me of Dungeons of Dredmore if you've ever tried that) But it looks really promising. Its less about charts/scoring and more about just enjoying music, but its a long the same vein.

Last edited by omega_grunt666; 11-4-2013 at 11:45 PM..
omega_grunt666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-5-2013, 03:18 AM   #6
Patrik333
FFR Player

I'm guessing "Standalone" player is an offline mode? - if not, I'll figure it out when I have a look at it. (I'm going to a course now from 9-5...)

Quote:
Songs are based on permissions from artists and are obviously not free to distribute so, you're unlikely to ever see a link to download FFR here.
I thought that at least a few of the songs on FFR were 'Public Domain' - doesn't that mean free to distribute as long as you're not making money off of them?

I'm gonna read the thread about creating stepfiles - even if it turns out I can't create exactly the songs I want to, I still really want to learn how to make them myself, so hopefully in time I can be a contributor to FFR!

Thinking about it, though, most of the songs I want to create are probably easy to get access for anyway:

- some from Sequence (including Guitar Sound - I notice that it's already in the game in the Secret tab... I can't wait to unlock it, but unless it's the whole 7min edit, I still want to make my own version..!)

- some from other OSTs e.g. Bastion

- some OCRemixes - I have 'Final Fantasy - Fire Cross' and 'Star Fox - Fortuna Favors the Funk' on my mp3 at the moment, and I'm thinking I want to create both of those...

- some YouTube remixes - I have a crazy Lucky Star remix on my phone (Redalice?) and... if the artist of a mashup song gave permission, would that be appropriate permission? (e.g. if I wanted to create that "Psychosocial Baby" mashup, would I have to get permission from the mashup artist only, or Slipknot and JB too?)

- some songs from small bands - I would LOVE to create two of 'Rymdreglage's' most popular songs, '8bit Trip' and 'Old Style'. Also Caravan Palace...

The rest are probably a lot harder to get permissions for... my favourite bands of all time are Muse and The Cat Empire, but I doubt I'd get permissions from either of those...

...still, if I manage to get permission for even half of the above list, depending on how hard creating stepfiles turns out to be, even that could keep me occupied for the next few months...!

---
Oh, one other question... I'm vaguely interested in buying an actual dancemat - I feel almost guilty pressuring my friends into watching me show off my FFR skills when they come round, but dance mats are more of a party thing, I think? So, can anyone recommend a good but cheap USB dance mat?
Old 11-5-2013, 03:47 AM   #7
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Always cool to see posts by new people who are excited about the game.

If you are interested in stepping songs yourself, here are two important links when selecting a song: http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...d.php?t=131270
If the artist you want is not listed there, you can ask yourself. Check this thread to make sure they haven't already been asked, however: http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...d.php?t=121505

More notes:
I contacted Rymdreglage in the past- no response yet. Feel free to try yourself.
Caravan Palace denied permission. Cannot be stepped for FFR.
Artists from Sequence must be asked individually. We have blanket permission from Ronald Jenkees, which is why Guitar Sound is in the game.
Video game OSTs typically require licensing for use. FFR does not license music because we are non-profit and therefore have no money to throw around. This is why there is no Final Fantasy OST music in FFR, for example. For a game produced by an indie studio, you might have luck asking them for blanket permission without having to pay for it. Can't hurt to try. A notable exception is Microsoft, and Microsoft studios.
OCRemixers that have granted permission are listed in the Blanket Permissions thread. Once again, you have to ask each artist individually for permission. I remember way back, we tried getting blanket permission from OCRemix as a whole, but they declined and told us to ask artists individually.
Full remixes are fine- just get permission from the remixing artist.
Youtube mashups are the more tricky category. We have songs that approach this style (The Pylons are TRAP BALLS, songs by The Gregory Brothers, etc) and we have many songs that sample other songs heavily, but the line is very blurred as to what is original music. For example, "Slam Jams" have historically been rejected. Youtube Poop style songs and other songs composed entirely of samples are likely in the same category, but I'm not sure. You should probably ask the judging crew if you are interested in submitting this type of song. Also, of course, you need to ask the mashup artist for permission :P
p.s. Speaking as an experienced stepper, the quality of the mashup makes a huge difference. Some average mashups that you think might be technically sound might have BPM errors that make them almost impossible to step accurately. A song drifting say 1.5 milliseconds off the beat will feel noticeably wrong when you play the file.

If you have questions about making files, you can PM me. I'm a little busy so I can't test files for you, but I can point you in the right direction if you have questions on like what programs you need and stuff.
It's not too hard to start and hey, I've been enjoying making stepfiles for literally over 8 years straight now >_<

Last edited by hi19hi19; 11-5-2013 at 04:06 AM..
hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-5-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
Tim Allen
B^)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Tim Allen

ha SCGMD was my first rhythm game outside of guitar hero i used cheat engine to get the platinum achievement on kongregate for SCGMD 3 a long ass time ago and just found out they removed it
have fun!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-5-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
Patrik333
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
If you have questions about making files, you can PM me. I'm a little busy so I can't test files for you, but I can point you in the right direction if you have questions on like what programs you need and stuff.
It's not too hard to start and hey, I've been enjoying making stepfiles for literally over 8 years straight now >_<

...wow, eight years?? Do you get paid at all or is it completely for fun? If I do try stepping songs I'll hopefully keep interested and at it for a few weeks or even months, but eight years is insane! Is every other song on the game one you've made?

I'm pretty occupied just playing the game right now, but I'll try and get around to downloading the stepping software today, or at least reading the guide and finding out what I actually need to download...

I've looked at the first link - I'll try and step a song that has permission already granted for my first few attempts, I guess. Are there any songs that haven't already been stepped, that have permission, and have quite an easy/regular beat to them?

(i.e. are there any songs left that are pretty easy/good first practice?)

---

As for the actual game, I dunno if this feature exists yet (I'm pretty sure it doesn't), but is there a way to sample tough parts of a song and play them in isolation, so I don't have to wait and play the rest of the easy bit of the tune to practice the hard parts?

Also for practice, is there a way of slowing songs down? As in, both of these things would disable scoring whilst you practice, and then you can play the full song at full speed when you're ready...
Old 11-5-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
justin_ator
🥓<strong><span style="col
Resident Overseer
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrik333 View Post
...wow, eight years?? Do you get paid at all or is it completely for fun? If I do try stepping songs I'll hopefully keep interested and at it for a few weeks or even months, but eight years is insane! Is every other song on the game one you've made?

No pay, site is free to play and there is no revenue for staff or step artists.

I'm pretty occupied just playing the game right now, but I'll try and get around to downloading the stepping software today, or at least reading the guide and finding out what I actually need to download...

I've looked at the first link - I'll try and step a song that has permission already granted for my first few attempts, I guess. Are there any songs that haven't already been stepped, that have permission, and have quite an easy/regular beat to them?

(i.e. are there any songs left that are pretty easy/good first practice?)

electronic music with a steady bpm is usually the easiest to step to start, imo

---

As for the actual game, I dunno if this feature exists yet (I'm pretty sure it doesn't), but is there a way to sample tough parts of a song and play them in isolation, so I don't have to wait and play the rest of the easy bit of the tune to practice the hard parts?

Also for practice, is there a way of slowing songs down? As in, both of these things would disable scoring whilst you practice, and then you can play the full song at full speed when you're ready...

both of these features do exist, in the R^3 engine (beta engine) found here: http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/~velocity/R%5E3.swf NOTE: These features disable scores saving, as it is simply for practice.
Responded to questions inside the quote.

Also, check out your profile, customize stuff, enjoy the FFRspace aspect of the site too d: You can track your Full Combos, AAA's, etc on your profile, as well as your Skill Tokens and regular Tokens.

edit: If you want to see all the songs hi19hi19 has stepped, visit his profile~

Last edited by justin_ator; 11-5-2013 at 04:48 PM..
justin_ator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-5-2013, 11:02 AM   #11
trumaestro
I don't get no respect
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Is every other song on the game one you've made?
trumaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-5-2013, 11:07 AM   #12
ilikexd
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Do you get paid
ilikexd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-5-2013, 02:32 PM   #13
hi19hi19
lol happy

Quote:
Do you get paid at all or is it completely for fun?
I wish :P

Quote:
Is every other song on the game one you've made?
I've stepped 87 files myself and 1 collab file, out of 2087 charts currently in the game.
Hardly "every other song" but I do believe out of everyone on the site, I have the most files in the game.
Not really a goal of mine to have the most, I just enjoy stepping and that's the natural result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin_ator View Post
edit: If you want to see all the songs Chris has stepped (hi19hi19), visit his profile~
shh they arent supposed to know my name
u revealed my secret, now i must kill you in honorable combat

Old 11-5-2013, 02:47 PM   #14
cedolad
moonchild~
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to cedolad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Allen View Post
ha SCGMD was my first rhythm game outside of guitar hero i used cheat engine to get the platinum achievement on kongregate for SCGMD 3 a long ass time ago and just found out they removed it
have fun!!!!!!!!!
your signature is so impractical it hurts
Old 11-5-2013, 02:50 PM   #15
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

could always go work for Pulsen, hi19. They're all about the cash money over there Kappa

rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-5-2013, 03:15 PM   #16
hi19hi19
lol happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
could always go work for Pulsen, hi19. They're all about the cash money over there Kappa
I actually probably could apply for a job at one of these rhythm gaming startup companies... hmmmm
Only problem is I don't have my undergraduate degree yet, and I sorta want to finish that.
/serioustalk

Old 11-5-2013, 03:23 PM   #17
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!

I don't think it's the most lucrative industry anymore..

Old 11-5-2013, 04:49 PM   #18
justin_ator
🥓<strong><span style="col
Resident Overseer
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
shh they arent supposed to know my name
u revealed my secret, now i must kill you in honorable combat
oops, fixed

i can't fite you, i dun lift br0
Old 11-7-2013, 11:28 AM   #19
Patrik333
FFR Player

Oops, almost forgot to say, cheers for all the advice everyone! I guess I've gone and introduced myself enough now, so if I do think of any more questions I want answering and can't find answers for, I'll post in a different topic.

Haven't yet started making stepfiles yet... I downloaded Stepmania but I've not yet gotten around to figuring out how to edit songs...
Old 11-7-2013, 11:35 AM   #20
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!

Take a look at these stickies if you want more general information about the game!

How to Get Better at FFR
Frequently Asked Questions ~V2~
FFR Standalone!
Ingame Song Information
The Token Thread ~V2~
The Official Tier Point Thread
The Official FFR Picture Dictionary
FFR Multiplayer: Complete Guide and Rules

(Some of these are a little outdated)