Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-3-2005, 01:37 PM   #61
senate7377
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to senate7377
Default RE: Re: RE: Depression becoming an EXCUSE?

um... Vamps - yeah sorry... I guess we are all human

Red - I never said prozac was dong it, I said be informed and pay attention to the effects of - in so many ways. ALL medications are good for some and not good for others. However, its handed out like candy, leading us to believe it is good for all. Its good you realize it is not.
senate7377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-3-2005, 03:30 PM   #62
Chocoborider29
FFR Player

True depression and "I FALL SHORT OF GOTH, CALL ME EMO" depression are different. You are talking about the same people who go home and get *ahem* "depressed" because of daily chores. Those people really are emo, but without reason. But now, lets look at a friend of mine. Caitlyn. Caitlyn lives with a family of 17. She has both parents, but maybe not for long. You see, her dad hates the kids. He often hits them, kicks them, and curses them with wicked phrases under his breath. He hates them because they aren't perfect. Past that, recently her mother got out of the hospital from a close-to-fatal motorcycle accident, and a deadly lung disease. While the mother of this familywas in the hosplital, nobody was there to keep the father under control. Caitlyn was amongst many in a large tribulation, but nobody was as low as she was.

During that time, she contemplated suicide. I was there to help her out, but she still was miserable. But lo and behold, after it was all said and done, she left with more than she entered with! Now their family is looking at a gain of 3 million dollars through courtship, and her siblinds are better bonded. They have gone many places since then, and life just got...well...peachy.

Now I know it sounds like a fairy tale. Like just a story. But this happens to everyone. Live through the hard times, and you'll gain. Patience IS key.

Now, tell me....is it wrong to be depressed. No, it isn't. But unless you are still in the middle of a trial, don't whine about your status.

~~Micah-D2~~
Chocoborider29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-5-2005, 12:21 AM   #63
Rediahs
FFR Player

senate, I know, I'm not here to argue with anyone; just here to state my opinion and little more than that.

Chocoborider, the nature of depression is without reason. It is caused by chemical imbalances in the brain, not by external events. When bad things happen, people get "depressed", but that doesn't mean they have "depression". Depression is a medical condition. You don't need a reason. Your brain just does it and you feel horrible. You could be the luckiest person earth who should be happy as a clam, but if you have depression, you will be unhappy.
Old 08-5-2005, 02:26 AM   #64
chocoborider30
FFR Player

I see point
chocoborider30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-5-2005, 08:57 PM   #65
TehWhack
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I forgot to mention my opinion on depression itself; Psychology has been made a mockery over the past few years because of depression. This happens because America's youth is spoiled and will get emotional over spilt milk. Not only that, but it's a fad now to have depression; some people like calling this fad "emo" for short.

Edit: Depression IS a medical condition, but it's not precise to assume the purpose of it is because of chemical imbalances in the brain. Medical experts believe that the imbalance is the reason, but no one is really sure yet.
Old 08-8-2005, 10:37 PM   #66
-Skooter-
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to -Skooter- Send a message via MSN to -Skooter- Send a message via Yahoo to -Skooter-

After reading this, as well as the suicide thread, I've decided to post.

I feel that part of the major conflict with threads like these, are that people arescared to say how they really feel about it, for fear of there being someone on FFR who coincidentally REALLY is suffering from a depressive disorder.

Vamps, I have grown to dislike you. It's very hard for me to say that I dislike people, especially people that I can't say that I very well know, or am even the slightest familiar with. You come off to me as fake, young, and most of all, contradictory.

1. You said that in order to post about depression, that we should "first do our research on the matter"... You also stated in that post, that a majority of depression is clinical. Well maybe, if YOU did YOUR research, you would see that in all reality less than 15 percent of "depression", is notified clinical. Leaving 85 percent, psychological.

2. It is VERY inconsiderate for you to assume, that the people posting, that they DO believe that depression is becoming an excuse, are simply posting that because they don't have any experience. Well guess what? Depression IS AN EXCUSE. IT IS THE EASY WAY OUT. It is the balance of you not having to deal with your problems, but placing them on someone else, while also accepting uneccesary comfort. Don't feed me this shit about you knowing more than I do either, I am clinically Bi-Polar.

That's right, I have a clinical imbalance, and I am one of the happiest people you would probably ever meet. My mother is an active cocaine abuser, who also has a heart condition. My father is in Jail, has been for two years, and my dad, died after being hit by a car. I grew up in DC away from ANY of my other family...and ya know what? I'M PERFECTLY HAPPY. I came out okay, it was hard, but I'm not upset. I don't attempt to harm myself, and I have many friends, go many places, do many things, and am a very healthy and responsible person. I've moved out of my house, I work, I am finishing school....and I'm not even 18 yet.

Explain to me, why it's any different for anyone else. To be perfectly honest you could have saved yourself a lot of typing, because you have the same bullshit sap story that I hear from every other hot topic flame kid. It's sincerely stupid. As is the belief that being depressed is everything elses fault. It's not, it's your fault.

You have the power and the will to overcome thing. You must, I mean after all aren't you the one that said you can have the will to die? So why not the will to live? YOU make that choice. YOU are given the right to decide which is more important to you, and YOU can change things.

I'm ick of idiot kids impressing upon the fact that black eye liner, and baggy pants make them sad and lonely people who are deprived and need attention, and love. BULLSHIT. Face it, you're not too damn deprived if you can shop at Hot Topic, they're fucking expensive.

Somewhere out there, someone has it a lot worse than you. They haven't complained, or attempted to kill themselves, so what right do you have? Don't give me that shit about it's not a choice, yes it is, and if you believe differently, than you're an idiot. About that drug shit, I'm supposed to take Lithium, and I don't ...If you know it's bad, and you take it anyways, that makes it your fault because you had the choice not too.

Grow up and be realistic, as much as everyone likes to deny it, and remain in that rebellious state... You have to realize that you one day have to become a functioning adult and things are going to be a lot harder then than they are now. Even the decisions.

My point is this, You can't bitch and moan your way through life. Complaining never got anyone, anything.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:47 PM   #67
Feox
FFR Player

This girl needs esctasy for her depresion!!! everybody loves them happy pills!
Feox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 03:47 PM   #68
YungYung
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to YungYung Send a message via MSN to YungYung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feox
This girl needs esctasy for her depresion!!! everybody loves them happy pills!
Get out of CT.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:33 AM   #69
Tokzic
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tokzic

When it comes to people who act depressed to get attention, I get annoyed. I knew one girl who was supposedly "suicidal" and built this whole story up for her life. She told me, "The love of my life overdosed on pot and then he came up to me all high and collapsed in my arms, he died and my last words were 'I hate you'!" Later on, I found out she had made this entire thing up in Drama class and liked it so much she decided she'd act like it's real. Unfortunately, this girl was attracted to me, and she would not leave me alone despite the fact that I told her I had a girlfriend.

Here's what she told me: "Jared, I don't know if I can go on without you, but I think your girlfriend can because she's not depressed." Essentially, she wanted me to dump my girlfriend for her just because she said she'd kill herself if I didn't. Of course, I said no and she didn't, because she's a liar. She isn't depressed and does it for attention and uses it as a tool to get what she wants. It's manipulative and really low - I don't associate with her anymore.

Last edited by Tokzic: Today at 11:59 PM. Reason: wait what
Tokzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 09:44 AM   #70
Anuj
FFR Player

After reading some of Skooter's posts, I feel like completely reforming my typing style... Thanks Skooter, you've inspired me to type properly, and my respect for you has grown immensely.

Anuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 10:00 AM   #71
chuandyou
FFR Player

Send a message via Yahoo to chuandyou

I put this in a different topic: The way they were raised shows them not to look at the things that are good and positive, but the things that are bad an negative. They essentially dig themselves in a hole and bury themselves alive with the shovel their parents gave them. (its a metaphor, dumb f**k)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
People are just about as happy as they make themselves up to be
Just tell her to think about happy things. If she says that her pills will help her the most, just tell her that mind is over matter. A smile is indeed the best medicine in alot of scientific studies. If she doesn't want to be happy, tell her to pretend. Whenever I pretend that I like a subject that I really hate, I trick my brain into liking it. I guess it's part of the acting thing. You said you were part of the drama club or something? Well, if she says she doesn't want to pretend, she should quit acting. Think up things for what i didn't already cover

Depression is not an excuse. My father and my father's father have been suffering depresion. The gene missed me, but it's funny how an emmotion can actually be genetic.

(Note i didn't want you to see: The different topic I put it on was the suicide topic! )

Don't say I didn't warn you!!!
chuandyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 06:17 PM   #72
Meteor858
FFR Supporter! OF DOOM!!!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Meteor858

I dont think that the whole, "pretend and it will make you happy" thing will work for anyone. My friends told me to do that once and it only made me feel that who i really am isnt good enough so it only made me attempt suicide over and over again....

-damn i just realized how serious my depression is O_O

Meteor858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 06:40 AM   #73
lord_carbo
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to lord_carbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor858
I dont think that the whole, "pretend and it will make you happy" thing will work for anyone. My friends told me to do that once and it only made me feel that who i really am isnt good enough so it only made me attempt suicide over and over again....

-damn i just realized how serious my depression is O_O
Way to raise a dead topic. Yeah, that took a lot of critical thinking. -__-