Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2005, 06:03 PM   #1
hEaLiNgViSiOnAnGeLicMiX
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to hEaLiNgViSiOnAnGeLicMiX
Default Depression becoming an EXCUSE?

Here's my first shot at a CT thread.

Depression is becoming an excuse, and I am going to take a girl who is in nearly EVERY SINGLE ONE of my classes as an example; let's call her Kathy. Kathy has supposably been depressed since 6th grade. She's been to the hospital on multiple occasions for checkups, takes pills on a daily (if not weekly?) basis, and to my knowledge has attempted to slit her wrist on atleast 3 ocassions. This all sounds like the traits a 'typical' depressed person would carry, but that is the problem. The 'typical' depressed person image.

The problem I see with this is Kathy's behaviour. I am friends with 3 other people who have depression, and Kathy carries one trait that is different to them. They do not carry the same 'image'. She is not afraid to admit she has depression, infact she often STRESSES the idea that she has depression. The other three people I know with depression often try to hide it. People who don't know them as well as I do aren't even aware of the fact that they have depression. I'll give you a few recent examples of how Kathy is acting.

1) During drama class, all of the studenst were seperated into two seperate groups. Kathy and I coincidently were put into the same group. Everyone was seemingly ontask and what we were to do was that we had to make up a dance. The dance's actions have to reflect on the lyrics of the song we were given. Now here's the thing, Kathy IMMEDIATELY assumed she was the leader of the group (she even referred to herself as 'leader' a couple times) and started ordering us to do this and that. A friend of mine was becoming annoyed with being bossed around and said "Ok Kathy can't we try ______ instead? 'Cause noone really seems to like that idea..." and Kathy's immediate reaction was "Well I'M the leader of this group so I GET TO DECIDE." My friend then replied with "Noone ever ASKED nor WANTED you to be leader". Kathy then BURST out into tears and said "THAT'S NOW HOW YOU TALK TO SOMEONE WHO'S DEPRESSED!"

2) French class we were to write speeches for a speech competition called 'Concours Oratoire'. Kathy wrote about depression and used the idea of HER BEING depressed as the main topic. When she was given an A+ for speech presentation (she's a good public speaker) but a C for 'speech content/ideas" she flipped, while again stressing the idea that she was 'depressed'

3) There was a new kid named Kyriel in our class a little while back named Kyriel. At one point I was talking to him and Kathy joined in. The bell then rang and Kathy pulled out a pill bottle. Kyriel then asked "what's that for?" Kathy's reply was "Oh they're my happy pills! I'm depressed!" with a PROUD tone of voice.

Is she really DEPRESSED? I think not, but you might disagree. My point is not solely about her, but I'm talking about this whole 'depression' idea getting way out of hand. There are byfar too many people saying they are 'depressed' who really aren't. I think that it's a cry for attention, an excuse to be treated differently. Maybe I'm wrong? Discuss.
hEaLiNgViSiOnAnGeLicMiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 07:11 PM   #2
Anticrombie0909
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Anticrombie0909
Default RE: Depression becoming an EXCUSE?

That chick is a retard. But I assure you, depression IS an actual thing. It's not like ADD which can just be an excuse for poor behavior.
Anticrombie0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 07:14 PM   #3
Verruckter
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Verruckter Send a message via MSN to Verruckter

Maybe she just wants to get attention... I've never seen someone really depressed though, so I can't really tell.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:11 PM   #4
psychic25
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to psychic25 Send a message via MSN to psychic25

Well, possibly, if she's been depressed from a fairly young age, her parents might have taught her a weird way to look at her condition. They might have said something like, "Embrace the situation and don't try to push it away." Because of this, she might feel comfortable or almost proud (like you said) about being depressed, and BRAG about it. (These are just my thoughts, though, because I've never known anyone who's depressed.)

Although yeah, that really does look like she wants attention. She probably does have something, though, otherwise I doubt she would have pills and everything.
psychic25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 04:25 AM   #5
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

It's an excuse for a TON of students.

The good rule of thumb is to see if they show it off. That means they're just attention-grabbing mongrels.

I know a friend of mine claims he is under depression but he's completely lying about it. He has the pills and everything too.

~Squeek
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 05:33 AM   #6
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

Quote:
There was a new kid named Kyriel in our class a little while back named Kyriel.
???

^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved
Moogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 06:57 AM   #7
pfff
FFR Player

pfffft thats one screwed up girl, who cares if shes even depressed, that doesnt give her the right to be a bitch.

::EDIT::

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticrombie0909
That chick is a retard. But I assure you, depression IS an actual thing. It's not like ADD which can just be an excuse for poor behavior.
i have ADHD (same thing as ADD but theres an H which stands for hyperactive), i was born with it, and when i dont take my medicine ill get all hyper and junk, but it can also be used as an excuse for bad grades. I know when i dont take my medicine, i have a terrible terrible memory and attention span, so ill do horrible on my classwork.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:32 PM   #8
The_Q
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to The_Q Send a message via Yahoo to The_Q

She's a hypochodriac of some sorts. She only thinks that she's depressed. I wouldn't doubt that the pills are placebo.

Will add more later (still have to get through the whole being proud of the depression thing).

Q
The_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 03:40 PM   #9
MythamX
FFR Player

Um... If she takes medicine... why is she depressed? Isn't that supposed to like... make her happy? Like the commercial with the little white blob guy, and he's all sad. Then when it introduces the medicine, and shows how it works, he gets all happy and bouncy and chases a butterfly(?). Depression is a state of mind. These people who think they're depressed just need something to open their eyes and show them how to be happy, and I'm not talking about medication. That said, there are plenty of dumb kids who fake being depressed for the stupidest reason of all: attention. This sounds like 'Kathy'. They get people to see they're depressed or even suicidal so they will get attention. And they're too blind to see it's all fake. They don't like the depressed kid, they're worried about her killing herself or trying to cheer her up. I don't know about your status with Kathy, but I've never seen a fake-depressed kid with real friends (other than kids doing the same thing). Like I said, state of mind.

Yes, I'm aware of the medical disease where the happiness things in your brain don't work right, and they don't like flow through the thing... I have no idea what I'm saying, but anyway, THAT'S what medication is for. People like Kathy who only think they're depressed and try to show it off all the time are still faking it because of the attention they get, and in danger for taking the medicine they don't need.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:21 PM   #10
deltro300111
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to deltro300111 Send a message via MSN to deltro300111 Send a message via Yahoo to deltro300111

She's just a bitch that wishes she was depressed- some parents use ADD as an excuse for their children's stupidity, it's that same kind of thing here, I think. Maybe you should be nice to her, point out when she's being a bitch- and maybe direct her in her speech, and maybe try and get her some friends, I had a friend that helped me to do that, and now I at least have some friends- I was very appreciative.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:03 PM   #11
psychic25
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to psychic25 Send a message via MSN to psychic25

Mytham, I'm not positive on this (because I don't know firsthand), but I've heard that anti-depressants really screw with the body.

It doesn't just make people on them perfectly happy, it messes with other stuff as well. That's why some people don't want to use anti-depressants.
psychic25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 05:38 PM   #12
hEaLiNgViSiOnAnGeLicMiX
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to hEaLiNgViSiOnAnGeLicMiX
Default Re: RE: Depression becoming an EXCUSE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogy
Quote:
There was a new kid named Kyriel in our class a little while back named Kyriel.
???
asdf gimme a break I'll edit it afterwards. kthnx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychic25
Well, possibly, if she's been depressed from a fairly young age, her parents might have taught her a weird way to look at her condition. They might have said something like, "Embrace the situation and don't try to push it away."
I've known her since kindergarden, but lately the way she's been acting has been getting really out of hand? She's been depressed since 6th grade from what I know. (6th grade is when she stayed at the hospital for an entire month, and when our teacher told us 'what was wrong with her'). What I don't understand is why someone would be proud of depression? She's proud of the fact (or what may seem to HER as a fact, since it could be just faking) that she's incapable of being happy? She's PROUD of the fact that there are people who stereotype against those who are depressed, which would in this case include herself? What there is to be proud of is beyond me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Q
I wouldn't doubt that the pills are placebo.
What do you mean?
hEaLiNgViSiOnAnGeLicMiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 01:26 AM   #13
sleeplessdragn
~Bang that beat Harder~
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Default RE: Re: RE: Depression becoming an EXCUSE?

Placebo pills are pills which appear to be actual medication but in reality have absolutely no effect, except possibly a small rise in blood sugar due to the fact that they are usually synthesized from sugar. The purpose is to cause the mind to believe that some form of medication is controlling the body when in actuality nothing is wrong. Placebos are always used when testing new forms of medication, to insure that the medication is actually creating an effect and not simply that the patient has had a change in beliefs due to the ingestion of medicine.

Back on topic. I find it rather sad that attention-whoring has drooped to this level. It used to be that the underdog was kicked, and that the spotlight was always shined on those on top of the social ladder. I for one don't think that she is depressed, as I have known far too many people who "clique-jump"; simply hopping from one stereotypical group to another, never fully understanding their own self persona. It's kinda sad if you think about it.
sleeplessdragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 04:55 AM   #14
archevil
FFR Player

The mental illness (an affective disorder) called depression occurs as a result of inefficacious neurotransmitters (specifically serotonin, and phenylethylamine, and possibly gamma amino butyric acid, endorphins, and oxytocin), although it may be accentuated by stress, abuse, or tragedy.

Depression information

Judging by the symptoms listed here, one might assume that Kathy is not suffering from a severe form of depression, if at all. However, it is unlikely that she spent a month in hospital unless she was diagnosed with the actual disorder, even if only temporary. I think however, that she might be no longer depressed, but maintains that she is possibly because it never occurred to her that she is not depressed. In any case, it is probably best not to accuse here of not being depressed, lest she attempt to prove that she is.

Whether or not she suffers from a common disease known as 'self-absorption' is up for debate though.
archevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 09:11 PM   #15
Sweet_vindiction
FFR Player

Send a message via Yahoo to Sweet_vindiction

Okay. I am Bi-Polar, ManicD, and other. I don't understand your fried though.

Her parents, as said, may have raised er to look at this as normal. She may have been raised to deal with this, but this gives her no right to use it as an excuse to be treated any differently.

The pills should help her in managing her depression. So why is she still bitching? Well perhaps she is lying. Perhaps her medicine isn't as affective as it shouldbe. Maybe it's for chronic Diarrhea?

She doesn't have an excuse, she is just as normal as anyone else. Simply explain to her in a normal manner that if she still feels depressed she should talk to her doctor about it. DON'T TREAT HER LIKE A BABY!

All the attention-whoring bitches. >.< Gah
Sweet_vindiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 02:49 AM   #16
CyanoticXtC
FFR Player
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CyanoticXtC

Noel... on the forums?.. crazy!
Old 03-26-2005, 06:50 AM   #17
TheTypist
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to TheTypist

Well, we're sort of a victimized society that encourages people to blame everything on a certain medical condition, or a certain childhood experience, or maybe to rely on a certain legal loophole so they can pass on responsibility from themselves onto their circumstances.

Sometimes, I think things are taken too far when too many things are a person's own responsibility are blamed on a medical condition. Maybe people actually fool themselves into thinking they are more of a victim than they really are. But at the same time we must keep in mind that the medical conditions are very real, so it's hard to distinguish whether it's the actual condition or just self-victimization.

-Nick Bank
TheTypist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 05:42 PM   #18
Micman7
FFR Player

Hmm... Seems like she has a problem - but odds are it's NOT depresion.
She just wants attention.

All people are equal,
Just some are more equal then others.
(In terms of mental well being. I remember that quote from a book I had to read back when I was in 2nd grade... I belive it was Animal Farm, correct me if I am wronge.)

:P G`day,
-Alan
Old 04-1-2005, 03:10 AM   #19
gofg
FFR Player

Hell, she might be depressed. back when i was depressed, I wanted attention, but i was afraid I would be viewed as selfish. maybe she didn't care whether she was viewed as selfish or not.
gofg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-4-2005, 09:41 PM   #20
Meteor858
FFR Supporter! OF DOOM!!!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Meteor858

hey I have a real depression issue like i see psyciatrists and stuff, and i can pretty much tell she is faking it. she just wants attention. ask her why she acts that way and tell her different ways to act if she really does have depression. for me i dunno i have tried to kill myself bout dunno8-11 times this past year. So if you need to know bout depression just ask me ill answer
-meteor858

Meteor858 is offline   Reply With Quote