Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Writing and Literature
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2008, 09:27 PM   #1
Phynx
I'm Forever
FFR Veteran

Default A Tribute To Seto

This is a Final Fantasy 7 Tribute

Here's your song. http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/87059 A classic, like the music makes me tear.

He ran fast and hard, dodging in between friend and foe as they clashed with sword and arrow. Dodging all attacks brought unto him as he raced to the beginning. The place where it all came from; the soul of the conflict. As he jumped the canyon ledges and leaped over the giant crevices with ease, he continued on, faster and faster to get to the source.

Sadly, he left his companion back at the fight, leaving her to help fend off the warriors of evil and unholy origin. He left not as a coward, but as a warrior to stop what was shadowing the village with intent of destruction. She understood this, she told him to go. She said they would look after their son and make sure he stays safe.

With this echoing through his mind like an explosion in an echo chamber, he increased his pace to a speed not even his mind could ponder. Tears began to flow from his eyes and were lost to the dirt as they fell. The wind blasting past was strong, for his speed was unimaginable. He knew he had to go fast, he knew he had to hurry, everything was at stake if he failed, he knew what had to be done.

He leaped over a final canyon and raced up a sheer cliff to where it all started. Upon arriving, he found himself on top of a horrific scene. There was a strong red and green glow coming from within the cavernous space. He peered in and saw a sight that would send men racing back home in fear. But he was no man, he had the strength and courage to withstand such a sight. Before him stood thousands of demons, ghostly figures, and orcish creatures all in formation in front of one giant demon, whom he figured was the commander of this forsaken army.

Without hesitation and the thought of his family in his mind, he gave a huge lunge over the edge, diving into the midst of the warriors, taking down at least 3 of them as he fell with a ferocious roar. The earth quaked as his massive body landed on all four giant paws. He let out a blood curdling roar, bearing teeth and claw to strike fear in those around him.

They all turned on him and began to come at him with a mind of murder and slaughter. He wouldn't let this happen to him, he has too much at stake. He won't fail though, he won't let them all down. He began to tear into the group, tearing at throats, slashing at head and heel, tearing chunks of flesh and leaving mortal wounds that killed instantly.

He fought on against this army, taking out one, two, three, even four demons and beasts at a time with his berserk style of fighting. This lasted for several hours, leaving more and more bodies of demons lying dead on the ground as he fought on. Not one could touch him, not one was able to lay sword or cast spell upon his hide before he reached them with his fury.

The commanding demon saw that his army was losing. He starting to feel fear that this creature might soon be coming after his throat. As he started to turn away, he called out a final order to his last group of archers. He fled with a haste only seen by the speed of Seto running to this God forsaken place. The archers obeyed without question, firing arrow upon arrow at Seto. He continued to dodge the arrows, almost seemingly to not even notice the arrows falling at him, he continued to chew and claw at the warriors of this hell.

It didn't take long after the commanders retreat for Seto to finish off a vast majority of the army that had once occupied the cavern. He ripped the throat from the final demon, leaving him quivering on the floor in paces to death. Seto turned his attention to the archers who were still laying fire upon him. He shot off, leaving a huge plume of dust and dirt as he left the spot he was standing; running at the archers with the same pace he had coming to the cavern.

Sensing his approach without their success of hitting him, a few of them fled into the back of the cave where the Commander had, hoping to live another day. Seto reached the archers as they were reloading their arrows, perfect timing to begin his assault. He shredded the first five with a single swipe of his giant claws. The rest he tackled over with his massive body; tearing their limbs and gouging their throats. He finished them with ease before anymore arrows were sent from their bows.

He felt victorious, he felt he had saved his village, namely his family from the terror of this army that was soon to advance upon them. This was a great time indeed. He had single handedly, permanently hindered the army's destructive advance through the canyons of this land. He ran into the cave that the commander had retreated to, seeing nothing around, not even smelling a hint of the demon who hid away in this hell hole. He sensed it had vanished for good, thinking it will never come back in fear of death to his teeth and claws, stained with the blood of his enemies.

Seto ran out of the cave and bounded up a cliff face, upon reaching the top he turned around and faced the village far away. He let out a grand roar that could be heard from miles away. Villagers of Rocket Town and Gongaga even heard faint sounds of his mighty roar. The villagers looked at him in the distance and cheered as they finished off the last of the demons that were plaguing their village. He finished his cry of victory only to a horrible end. The archers whom had previously fled before he could kill them were hiding in the narrow crevice below him. They pointed their arrows at his hide, tipped with a poison; the arrows wisped silently, cutting the air with a deadly stealth not even Seto's extraordinary senses could pick up on. All six arrows struck his body, flooding him with poison that would end his life. Seto let out a cry of pain and tried to lunge at the archers. But, his body froze in place, he couldn't move, the poison had taken over almost the instant it entered his body.

He felt unimaginable pain as his body started to turn to stone from where the arrows had embedded themselves. He let out a final roar that was so ferocious and thundering that it killed the archers, stopping their hearts upon their final beat. The villagers looked in horror as they knew that wasn't a roar of victory. Seto's companion raced at near the same pace Seto had, leaving their son to the elders of the town for protection.

She arrived at Seto with tears flowing from her eyes, she knew what had happened, she arrived in time to see his final tear, to say his final words "I love you Na.... na........... ki.................." She cried out in pain at losing Seto to the deadly poison which consumed the final whisker on his once mighty and proud guise.

She cried for what seemed like eons to her but after what was really a short span of time, she could hear shouts and screaming from the village. She turned to see that a final, rogue wave of enemies were striking the village. She instantly thought of Nanaki and the Elder, Bugenhagen, with whom she had left Nanaki. Fear shot down her like a wildfire on a plain of dead grass, wind blowing it swiftly across the fields. She set off for the village, running up behind the enemies to flank them and to try to gain the advantage on them.

She arrived at the platoon of demons, killing several as she leaped into the group. She fought with all her strength, killing as many as Seto did at a time. But sadly, she had her mind too much on Nanaki, thinking too much of his safety, that she forgot her own. One of the demons, larger in size than most of the demons, landed a blade of wicked shape, tearing completely through her chest. The demon yanked the blade out of her, taking with it flesh and bone. She was dealt her final breath as she lay there dying along with the demons.

Nanaki seen from atop the canyon where Bugenhagen had left him at his house. He had not seen or heard of what happened to his father, he only believed he had ran away from the fight out of fear. He cried out for his mother, cursing his fathers name. Shortly after, the fight ended, the last of the demons being slain by the villagers that remained.

They recovered Seto's companion from the mess and honored her with a grand burial ceremony. Sending her spirit off with Seto's knowing that Nanaki was safe and that everything will be right again one day.

Nanaki cried for many days, thinking of how he thought his father had ran away, of his mothers death and of the idea of being alone, the last of his kind. Bugenhagen kept the secret of what his father had done, hoping that in time Nanaki would find out the truth by himself, in turn making him a tough and bold warrior as his father was in life.

"One day you'll understand my boy..."

The words Bugenhagen told Nanaki. The words that inspired Nanaki to press on in life. The words that told Nanaki to find out the answer for himself.

"I will..."

Sorry for this being so long but I just had A LOT of fun writing this, the whole time listening to the song I provide to you for ambiance as you read it. I know the song is short, it will definitely end before you finish reading but just let it restart and you probably won't even notice it had ended.

Final Fantasy VII is my favorite game of all. I've never played a game that got me more engaged into the story as FF VII had. This song inspired me to write this, it reminded me of Seto's bravery and willingness to give his life for his family. A value all people should cherish and abide. Family can and always should be your strongest support in life, your family should be your inspiration to be the greatest you can be.

So thank you all, whom read this story. Also, sorry if their are any errors in grammar, spelling, etc. I will revise it shortly. As for now, I want my family to read this. They thoroughly enjoyed my last story, now I want to see how they think of this one.

Also, for those who don't know anything about Final Fantasy VII, Seto, Nanaki, and Seto's companion are all cat like creatures who can talk and live in a small village at the heart of a place called Cosmo Canyon.

Last edited by Phynx; 05-22-2012 at 12:47 AM..
Phynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:23 PM   #2
Devour
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Devour Send a message via MSN to Devour Send a message via Skype™ to Devour
Default Re: A Tribute To Seto

Jordan, this was really good. It was one of those things that you don't want to stop reading until you're done.

Anyways, I really enjoyed this. Full of suspense, and the song choice was amazing, as it always is.

You're a great writer, Jordan, I love your work.

There was a small typo I noticed, however, dont remember where at exactly, but you typed "sensed" instead of "senses."
Old 09-17-2008, 11:35 PM   #3
xI_YoMa_Ix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Amazing.

Fantastic.

And yes, you do amazing work.

P.s. As for that "typo" Im just trying to help.

They pointed their arrows at his hide, tipped with a poison, the arrows wisped silently, cutting the air with a deadly stealth not even Seto's extraordinary sensed could pick up on. All six arrows struck his body, flooding him with poison that would end his life. Seto let out a cry of pain and tried to lunge at the archers.

P.p.s. Your Amazing.
xI_YoMa_Ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:43 PM   #4
DarkbearX
Shimose
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

This is basically just an elaboration of what really happens. xD It's kind of spoiling this part of the game in a sense. It's definitely really well-put though. I liked it.

Also this kinda made me wanna play through FFVII again.

Last edited by DarkbearX; 09-17-2008 at 11:49 PM..
DarkbearX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:51 PM   #5
Phynx
I'm Forever
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkbearX View Post
This is basically just an elaboration of what really happens. xD It's kind of spoiling this part of the game in a sense. It's definitely really well-put though. I liked it.

Also this kinda made me wanna play through FFVII again.

Haha yeah, the game never explains fully the story of how that battle happened. So... I took the liberty and sheer joy of writing in more detail the story of the battle and what Seto did to become a statue at the top of the canyon.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:55 PM   #6
shadow 1800
I can't think of anything
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to shadow 1800

Thanks for posting this, i read the whole thing and i really like it. I got a tear in my eye when i read it. I might play the game tomorrow after school. Final Fantasy 7 is one of the greatest, if not greatest games of all time.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:31 PM   #7
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MalReynolds

First of all, wtf fanfiction.

Second, you change tenses like it's going out of style. There are several poorly phrased sentences throughout with missing words that just don't make any sense. It was very, very cut and dry. I was more impressed with your last work.

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Maledictions: The Offering.

Now in Paperback!
MalReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:17 PM   #8
iPatcH
Swamp Lemons Rule
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to iPatcH

Wow this story is really awesome. High five dude, you should make a sequel and include the token gay black guy and maybe a giant mechanical spider.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:22 PM   #9
Vendetta21
Sectional Moderator
Sectional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Vendetta21

The spider is the fiercest killer in the animal kingdom.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:27 PM   #10
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

Yeah, the whole thing reeked of horrible horrible cliche and overexaggerated nonsense.

Also, The music, as a whole song was appropriate for maybe one and a half paragraphs of the piece, then it was entirely inappropriate.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:21 PM   #11
Phynx
I'm Forever
FFR Veteran

@Mal - Yes, fanfiction, oh well. Also, yeah, there are several problems I need to revise, I just haven't gotten to it.

@KgZ - Yeah, I randomly started new paragraphs. Nothing really determined a new paragraph so when I revise it, I will fix that as well.

@iP - Hahaha, I shall create a story of those two characters

@Van - I agree.

@Dev - You're too straightforward of a person to read this with imagination... damn. Also, the song is fitting if you've played FFVII and understand what this is based off of. If you HAVE played it and know the song and still think that then it has gone out of my range of pleasing you with the story. Besides, I couldn't find any other song that fit with Seto... not the story itself but for Seto.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:49 PM   #12
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Quote:
@Dev - You're too straightforward of a person to read this with imagination...
I find that statement incredibly presumptuous and offensive. Also, I've played 7, and understand what it's based off of.

Sorry bud, it's just a mediocre piece of writing with a slew of gramattical and syntactical errors put to the tune of a song that doesn't remain at all appropriate to the tone of the piece all the way through.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:27 PM   #13
Verruckter
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Verruckter Send a message via MSN to Verruckter

I support dev and mal... This is mediocre at best and really doesn't deserve the praise it gets. I'm sorry.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:33 PM   #14
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Want a better piece of music for this? Try that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3B5XrcVWr4

Obviously you don't read the whole thing at full speed during this song, but I think you'll find that it maps onto the stages of your piece very well indeed, in that it drags out the death scene about as long as anime is wont to do.

Last edited by devonin; 09-19-2008 at 08:35 PM..
Old 09-19-2008, 08:47 PM   #15
dood gone krazee
RATOOOOOOOOO
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to dood gone krazee Send a message via MSN to dood gone krazee

Yeah I also too agree with Dev and Mal a bit, the music seemed to fit in the beginning, but it just didn't go well with the more violent and action-filled parts of the piece. Slow relaxed song with a war scene doesn't exactly fit... and the intense beginning and quiet, more sad part of the song Devonin mentioned definitely flowed a bit better. The paragraphs did start a bit odd sometimes, as Mal had said. I'm sure this will be a lot cleaner and such when you revise and rewrite. I know what you mean when you said you had fun writing it. One time I had a school assignment to write a short fictional mystery story, I came in the next day with 18 pages. D:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Thomas View Post
Dood... you done gone got yourself krazee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsona View Post
I hear back in 12 AD Jesus Himself sent an FGO to Tass and it got a 9 by JX

"[++] 9/10
Very good file but not japanese enough ps hi jesus"
dood gone krazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:28 PM   #16
funmonkey54
The Chill Keeper
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to funmonkey54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalReynolds View Post
First of all, wtf fanfiction.

Second, you change tenses like it's going out of style. There are several poorly phrased sentences throughout with missing words that just don't make any sense. It was very, very cut and dry. I was more impressed with your last work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KgZ View Post
The story itself felt kind of bland, and boring. Pretty much agree with Mal.

Also, I feel you used pronouns too often. When you start a new paragraph always state the person being referred to again. It got very confusing as the story progressed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
Yeah, the whole thing reeked of horrible horrible cliche and overexaggerated nonsense.

Also, The music, as a whole song was appropriate for maybe one and a half paragraphs of the piece, then it was entirely inappropriate.
*cough cough* All Jealous *cough cough*

JK.

While it is not perfect, I really do like it. I like the general idea and your ability to elaborate upon the previously existing idea.

funmonkey54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:16 PM   #17
Verruckter
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Verruckter Send a message via MSN to Verruckter

Quote:
Originally Posted by funmonkey54 View Post

JK.

While it is not perfect, I really do like it. I like the general idea and your ability to elaborate upon the previously existing idea.
Mal has 100x more talent than this.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:21 AM   #18
Vendetta21
Sectional Moderator
Sectional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Vendetta21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phynx View Post
@Van - I agree.
I skimmed your story and told myself I would come back to it later, but now that you butchered my name I am not going to read it at all. If you aren't going to give me the proper respect of spelling my username right you can just call me V. But thus far only people I like call me V and I don't want to change that. So you can't even call me that. Call me SIR. That is all I will allow from this juncture. Thank you.

Also, people are critical because it's a fanfic of FFVII, not because of the quality of your writing. While quality may have something to do with it, I'm not 100% sure, fanfics are necessarily lame as a trait of their genre and so you have to go to great pains to get people out of a preconceived mindset and you have to write much better than you would have to otherwise to prove legitimacy in your writing. This is absolutely true. Anyone who says otherwise is either a fanfic-writer or someone who thinks too much about it.

The reason is because your characters and their backstory are not actually yours, and so you have both the burden of following the original backstory, as well as skillfully innovating without disrupting previous character and story information and enough so as to keep us interested, as well as getting past our preconceived notions about fanfics. Fun to write, fun to read for a very esoteric audience, but very rarely regarded as quality and well respected by everyone. Don't let the Man get you down. But if you're writing to say something deep, your own characters will always be a better vessel for the depths than someone elses, given that you're trying to make the point to a larger audience of people.

Last edited by Vendetta21; 09-20-2008 at 03:26 AM..
Vendetta21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 05:41 AM   #19
TheRapingDragon
A car crash mind
FFR Veteran

Way to steal my story and try to say it's your own. Not to mention you butchered it. Here, everyone, this is the original (and better) version:

http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...64#post2806564
TheRapingDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 06:36 AM   #20
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Quote:
I'd post something of my own that I've written, but the most recent pieces of writing I even have are about 6 years old, and man do I think it all sucks now.

Besides, back in the day, I myself wrote *gasp* fanfic (Though more in the sense of "You have a world, I think I'd like to write in it" rather than "I'm going to take your existing characters and make them all gay lovers" as seems to be the norm in most fanfic.)