Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2008, 08:45 PM   #1
setsanto
FFR Player

Default Vista + FFR = Bad?

Why does everyone keep moaning about FFR + Vista? I've been using Vista since the day it came out, and though I am admittedly not very good at this game, I haven't had any problems. What's everyone else experiencing that I'm not?

~Setsanto
Old 09-16-2008, 08:48 PM   #2
Devour
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Devour Send a message via MSN to Devour Send a message via Skype™ to Devour
Default Re: Vista + FFR = Bad?

The way Vista is set up makes FFR run less smoothly, and lag just that little bit in order to cause what should have been a perfect, a good.
Most vista players get an average of 10+ goods person because of the vista lag.
although, it usually isnt present until you start to play the harder songs, and try to AAA them.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:49 PM   #3
Im Vince
Allez Montréal!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Im Vince

Vista causes little lag, but you don't really see it and get a good out of nowhere. And it happens too often. Well I think that is it. If you did not have Vista you would be better at this game.
Im Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:51 PM   #4
5.points
Provy
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to 5.points

Vista doesn't do that good for FFR. At least for me.
http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...photos/240411/

Last edited by 5.points; 09-16-2008 at 08:54 PM..
5.points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:53 PM   #5
Plan_Bsk81127
snooches
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Plan_Bsk81127 Send a message via Skype™ to Plan_Bsk81127

Hell, I roll Vista. I got 300+ AAA's, Pretty much 99% Fc's, and doesnt bother me. I get no lag or anything. I run it just as smooth or smoother than a XP with IE. Screw all you that say Vista sucks. XD Jk. I am a Vista Pro.
Plan_Bsk81127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:54 PM   #6
retching oesophagus
(^._.^) =^-ω-^= (^・o・^)ノ
FFR Veteran

vista isn't that bad. you can stll get some good scores on it. i just aaa'd mute city remix on vista. granted there are some problems with lag and random goods but most of the time i don't notice

Last edited by retching oesophagus; 09-16-2008 at 09:08 PM..
retching oesophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:07 PM   #7
setsanto
FFR Player

Guess I'll try XP, see if there's any difference.

~Setsanto
Old 09-16-2008, 09:09 PM   #8
s0ulst0n3
<SPACE FOR RENT>
FFR Veteran

Send a message via ICQ to s0ulst0n3 Send a message via AIM to s0ulst0n3 Send a message via MSN to s0ulst0n3 Send a message via Yahoo to s0ulst0n3 Send a message via Skype™ to s0ulst0n3

In before Lumpho.

It's not the fact it's impossible really, but the fact people are used to the arrows being on time, and Vista delays the arrows a little bit so you hit late goods.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:23 PM   #9
EgomaniaCircus
(```(~_~)```)
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan_Bsk81127 View Post
Hell, I roll Vista. I got 300+ AAA's, Pretty much 99% Fc's, and doesnt bother me. I get no lag or anything. I run it just as smooth or smoother than a XP with IE. Screw all you that say Vista sucks. XD Jk. I am a Vista Pro.
I could AAA FN on vista. Doesn't going to mean I'm going to waste my time trying to do it. Just because you have some AAA's on vista doesn't mean it doesn't suck.

No matter how good you are on vista, you would be better on XP.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:31 PM   #10
EAGAMES
Y0FACE!
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I recently got a Vista computer, but I switched with my sister because she had an XP one. Vista sucks...
Round 2: 4 Chord Touhou (AAA)
Round 3: October (1.0.0.1)
Round 4: Silly Symphony (1.0.0.0)
Round 5: Hardkore Atomic (4.0.0.1)
Round 6: Blue Rose (2.0.0.0)
Round 7: La Dump (Eliminated for being lazy.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartdude1212 View Post
EA will wander into his house with twenty minutes remaining in the round, load up FFR, realize he needs to ****, go to do so, discover he's hungry, whip up a gourmet meal, return to FFR with five minutes to go, play la camp once, and missflag on the 2154th arrow because scythe of 13 is watching him
EAGAMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:33 PM   #11
danny53x
AKA Yotipo
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to danny53x

I think it's.. my graphics driver that doesn't like Vista... not FFR that doesn't like Vista.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:43 PM   #12
Mitsuho
FFR Player

I recommend if you have an OS that is giving you a hard time with lag than try a micro preboot ramdisk operating system like SliTaz. ( Small Light Incredible Temporary Autonomous Zone www.slitaz.org ) It's French, you have to have a 25 cent spare cdr, and you have to download flash everytime unless you build your own ISO or USB but it's way better than lagging out of a song on a crappy winstall or a bloated alternative.

Last edited by Mitsuho; 09-16-2008 at 09:49 PM..
Mitsuho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:47 PM   #13
Beethovens mask
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Just install a Pirated XP OS to run alongside Vista. Use vista for work then switch to xp for ffr.
Beethovens mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:56 PM   #14
Mitsuho
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beethovens mask View Post
Just install a Pirated XP OS to run alongside Vista. Use vista for work then switch to xp for ffr.
Open source Linux is free. And PBE's like SliTaz are usually under 100M. I recommended SliTaz because at under 30MB it includes Firefox 3 and doesn't require an install, just burn it and boot to CD.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:00 PM   #15
rauchster
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to rauchster

As a computer technician, I would like to take the time to point out, that Vista has absolutely no problems running Flash player, which is what FFR uses.
The problems start occurring because the main computer manufacturers only put the minimum requirements of computer parts into their machines to run Vista. Yeah, they'll work, but they won't work well.

For those that have Vista, I'd like you to run a little test.
Go to your Control Panel, then to "System and Maintenance", and then under the System area, click on the "Check your computer's base performance score" (This can also be accessed by going to the Welcome Center, and click Show More Details up top, and then clicking the blue test "Windows Experience Index")

Run the test and post the results.
The best is 5.9 in each category, with the lowest sub-set score being the overall rating.
I'm running Vista Ultimate x64, with AMD Quad-core 9600 Phenom CPU, 8Gb OCZ DDR2 1066Mhz RAM, on MSI K9A2 Platinum Mobo, and dual MSI NVidia 8800 GTS 512Mb DDR3 video cards in SLI, with custom cooling to keep it around room temps, all powered by a massive Corsair 850W PSU.
I score 5.9 in everything, and have no issues running FFR, or any other game I play.

If you were playing Crysis or CoD4, and you had lag, would you think it was Vista/XP or your Video Card or maybe RAM first?

The simple answer is that although Vista may not work well for some of you, that's more the fault of the computer not having enough power behind it to run Vista well, than Vista not being able to cope.
Hardest AAA: Save Me, Standard (5)
Tier Points: 14
-> 5 Billion Grand Total Club Member <-
Visit My Profile!
rauchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:04 PM   #16
Mitsuho
FFR Player

What's cheaper? Upgrade your hardware or streamline your operating system? There are more efficient operating systems for flash+browser with the same or better security. Boot into something free and uses less overhead for browsing. Hell, you can even open windows in a ring 2 hypervisor rawwrite passthrough if you had a critical non-D3D application.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:13 PM   #17
EgomaniaCircus
(```(~_~)```)
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rauchster View Post
As a computer technician, I would like to take the time to point out, that Vista has absolutely no problems running Flash player, which is what FFR uses.
The problems start occurring because the main computer manufacturers only put the minimum requirements of computer parts into their machines to run Vista. Yeah, they'll work, but they won't work well.

For those that have Vista, I'd like you to run a little test.
Go to your Control Panel, then to "System and Maintenance", and then under the System area, click on the "Check your computer's base performance score" (This can also be accessed by going to the Welcome Center, and click Show More Details up top, and then clicking the blue test "Windows Experience Index")

Run the test and post the results.
The best is 5.9 in each category, with the lowest sub-set score being the overall rating.
I'm running Vista Ultimate x64, with AMD Quad-core 9600 Phenom CPU, 8Gb OCZ DDR2 1066Mhz RAM, on MSI K9A2 Platinum Mobo, and dual MSI NVidia 8800 GTS 512Mb DDR3 video cards in SLI, with custom cooling to keep it around room temps, all powered by a massive Corsair 850W PSU.
I score 5.9 in everything, and have no issues running FFR, or any other game I play.

If you were playing Crysis or CoD4, and you had lag, would you think it was Vista/XP or your Video Card or maybe RAM first?

The simple answer is that although Vista may not work well for some of you, that's more the fault of the computer not having enough power behind it to run Vista well, than Vista not being able to cope.
The major issue with vista is framerate is severely cut down (think 15 fps) which results in arrows coming about 0.5 seconds earlier than they should.

So, you're wrong about there being absolutely no problems with vista and flash. Seriously, try it yourself.

Now, flash 10 helps the problem but doesn't completely remove it.

Also, if you were playing 8 bit mario on your wii and it started lagging ridiculously, would you think it were the technical limitations of the wii, or something just plain ****ed up instead.

30 FPS arrow game =/= Crysis.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:27 PM   #18
-KIDTHONG-
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via ICQ to -KIDTHONG- Send a message via AIM to -KIDTHONG- Send a message via MSN to -KIDTHONG-

lol vista lags PERIOD
-KIDTHONG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:28 PM   #19
Gundam-Dude
`~`
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I've been playing on Vista for roughly 2 years now. It took a little while to get used to the timing since I used an XP computer before to play FFR.

But TBH it's not really that bad once you're completely used to the timing. It's just that you have a harder time AAAing files because of said delay. A Vista user wouldn't really notice a significant change switching back to XP but an XP user switching over to Vista would definitely notice a change.

I could personally switch between the two OS and not see a slight change in PA on FFR. MA on StepMania would probably be different though the XP computer I have access to doesn't have StepMania installed.

Also, there's keyboard driver issues with Vista that delays the keyboard response times on some standard PS/2 keyboards and most definitely USB keyboards. I personally have both and I always get keyboard misses on my USB keyboard while my PS/2 one is perfectly fine.

It is possible to fix this keyboard problem in Vista but you risk losing your hard drive information, data etc. so I wouldn't really try it unless you have everything backed up somewhere.

(Download My Magnum Opus, Solo Kpop Pack!)

My Simfiles (4key & 6key)
Gundam-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:50 PM   #20
retching oesophagus
(^._.^) =^-ω-^= (^・o・^)ノ
FFR Veteran

so has anyone tried ffr on linux? is it any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundam-Dude View Post
It is possible to fix this keyboard problem in Vista but you risk losing your hard drive information, data etc. so I wouldn't really try it unless you have everything backed up somewhere.
im pretty sure that's high android's method, which only sorts out pcs upgraded to vista. no help for me. if it's not and is a different solution then i would like to know.
retching oesophagus is offline   Reply With Quote