Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2008, 12:55 PM   #1
UnholyDaemon
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to UnholyDaemon Send a message via MSN to UnholyDaemon
Talking Buying a Drum Kit

Hey all, wasn't really sure where to put this so this seemed like a good spot. I've been wanting to get a drum kit for quite some time and I've finally decided to start seriously looking. I've decided on a kit that's entry-level and seems to be the right price for what I'm looking for...here's the link for it http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemID=65301 and for those who don't feel like clicking it's a Tama Imperialstar 5-piece kit with all the fixin's (Cymbals, stands, throne, pedal, etc.) and it's $599.99.

I'm curious if anyone else has this kit or has thought about buying it and heard bad things or whatever. I know with drums you pretty much get what you pay for so that's my main concern since $600 for literally everything you would need is a pretty nice deal. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys
Old 09-11-2008, 06:07 PM   #2
footbull3196
Banned
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to footbull3196
Default Re: Buying a Drum Kit

Do you have Rock Band 2 or are planning on getting it? They sell an Ion drum kit for only $300. You can use it during Rock Band 2, it comes complete with cymbals for yellow, green, and blue pads. Even better, you can remove the game pad and plug it in to a real electronic set.

You should give that a shot.
footbull3196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:19 PM   #3
UnholyDaemon
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to UnholyDaemon Send a message via MSN to UnholyDaemon

Actually I was planning on getting it but not the expensive kit, just the regular one...I would much rather have an actual kit than an electric one, regardless of how "realistic" it might be. To me you just can't replicate the same feeling you get playing real drums. Just my opinion.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:58 PM   #4
basicdrummerman
rusty old fart
Event Staff
Event StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

yeah go for a real accustic kit. do not start with an electronic because you get into bad habbits because they are easier to cheat play on lol. but what you have there looks pretty good for a starting set, tama is a well known company and a good one to start with. i personaly like ddrum but thats just because they have bigger bass drums in general(as in deeper like 22x20) but the tama you are looking at is a good all around starting kit. i just gotta ask though what kind of cymbals does it come with?

edit- just looked at it the drumset is nice, but the stock cymbals are going to be absolute crap, like no joke, even though pulse is a lower quality(but not much lower than the one your looking at) than tama, look into a pulse set that comes with ziljian cymbals like zbt's. a lower quality drum can be well tuned and muffled easily and cheap and sound quite good, but you can't make a cymbal sound any better then what it is, so id advise checking out the one im talking about.lemme see if i can find it.....

edit- here it is, http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=491621 i would strongly advise looking into this one, because you're just starting and i really think its a good kit and cymbals for the price.
and i would know cus yeah lmao

oh and btw this is my longest post ever i think lmao

Last edited by basicdrummerman; 09-11-2008 at 07:10 PM..
basicdrummerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:09 AM   #5
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

Quote:
Originally Posted by footbull3196 View Post
Do you have Rock Band 2 or are planning on getting it? They sell an Ion drum kit for only $300. You can use it during Rock Band 2, it comes complete with cymbals for yellow, green, and blue pads. Even better, you can remove the game pad and plug it in to a real electronic set.

Actually, the 3rd cymbal costs extra.

And the shipping costs are rather high as well.

You won't be getting a full set for only 300$. Oh and the module to make it a fully functional kit is 350$.

But yeah, get an accoustic kit if you can reasonably play it without pissing everyone off. An electronic kit is a good alternative as well, but I wouldn't personally recommend the Ion RB2 kit unless gaming is what you'll be using it for primarily.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:59 AM   #6
Verruckter
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Verruckter Send a message via MSN to Verruckter

Quote:

Please, PLEASE, DON'T DO THIS.

Seriously, what the ****? Using a game controller to learn an instrument? Are you ****ing kidding me!

Get a real, accoustic drum kit. The only way to go. Electronic drums are only good if you live in an appartment AND if you have access to a real drum. Absolutely nothing compares to a real drum.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:05 AM   #7
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verruckter View Post
Absolutely nothing compares to a real drum.
Tell that to Phil Collins.

Electronic isn't so bad. If that's all you can get, it's not a bad choice. In fact, I'd even say that the versatility offered can open up doors that can make up for the differences in style compared to acoustic. And the best of the electronic kits are pretty top-notch, with features like cymbal choking and variable force detection and even things like capabilities for rim shots or something I think.

But yeah, definitely, don't go for the RB2 kit unless playing RB is what you plan on doing the vast majority of your drumming in.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:12 AM   #8
Verruckter
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Verruckter Send a message via MSN to Verruckter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
Tell that to Phil Collins.

Electronic isn't so bad. If that's all you can get, it's not a bad choice. In fact, I'd even say that the versatility offered can open up doors that can make up for the differences in style compared to acoustic. And the best of the electronic kits are pretty top-notch, with features like cymbal choking and variable force detection and even things like capabilities for rim shots or something I think.

But yeah, definitely, don't go for the RB2 kit unless playing RB is what you plan on doing the vast majority of your drumming in.
I agree that the Roland V-Drums high grade are pretty amazing, but it depends on what you want to do. OP doesn't have the budget for that kind of drum anyways.

My biggest concern is actually not the sound of the drums as the playing that goes with it. The pads are usually a lot softer, which make your stick bounce more. It's good for rolls and the Möller technique but it becomes too easy and then you have trouble going back to a real drum.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:31 PM   #9
s0ulst0n3
<SPACE FOR RENT>
FFR Veteran

Send a message via ICQ to s0ulst0n3 Send a message via AIM to s0ulst0n3 Send a message via MSN to s0ulst0n3 Send a message via Yahoo to s0ulst0n3 Send a message via Skype™ to s0ulst0n3

I have a Pearl Reference kit right now, and I recommend it if you are amateur or advanced. If not, a good first kit to buy would be a Ludwig Accent or Ludwig Custom Elite. I had a Ludwig Custom Elite before my Pearl, and I found it to be great. It came with 2 rack toms, floor tom, kick, snare, a hi-hat and 2 crash (Heavy and paper thin). Not too impressive, but a great starter that will last you for a while IMO. I always wanted the drum kit that Neil Peart had though. D=
Old 09-13-2008, 08:54 PM   #10
basicdrummerman
rusty old fart
Event Staff

just listen to me
Old 09-14-2008, 09:40 AM   #11
footbull3196
Banned
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to footbull3196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
I wouldn't personally recommend the Ion RB2 kit unless gaming is what you'll be using it for primarily.
To tell you the truth, I'm sorry I ever posted in here. I talked about it at Gamestop yesterday, and they said that they didn't think it was going to sell to well either.

So don't judge me on being this Rock Band fanboy.
footbull3196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:22 AM   #12
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Quote:
To tell you the truth, I'm sorry I ever posted in here. I talked about it at Gamestop yesterday, and they said that they didn't think it was going to sell to well either.

So don't judge me on being this Rock Band fanboy.
I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean. They don't think the Ion kit will sell well? They don't think RB2 the game will sell well?

I can say with confidence that RB2 will sell well. Can't say much for the kit, but that doesn't exactly matter if it sells well or not.

What I said was only meant to support the idea that the Ion RB2 kit is not a good kit to get if you're looking for an instrument. It's a good kit if you're looking to get a controller for a music game.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:52 AM   #13
basicdrummerman
rusty old fart
Event Staff

kay kinda off topic. like i said just listen to me