Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2008, 10:33 PM   #1
Bynary Fission
Retired One-Hander
FFR Veteran

Default So I Found About this new High School...

And it is a Bill-Gates financed school. It has lax requirements (11+ credits, 2.0 GPA or higher, I will have 17.5 when I enter my second year of high school and my GPA is about 3.7 unweighted). What is so special about this high school is that not only are there only 40 students there (I am the kind of kid that needs it, as I have Asperger's and I function EXTREMELY well in such environments), you can do a whole year of high school and college concurrently.

This means, I can graduate college at 17 with my Bachelors Degree. Oh my god, I was ecstatic when I heard about this! I am busting my butt off to get 16.5 credits in a whole school year (Well, the start of the 2007 summer to the end of the 2008 summer). I can't graduate with anything below an advanced diploma (Which requires 24 credits), and I'll barely be 16 when I graduate. Based on the minimum rates that you can get your BA, coupled with this school, I should be 17 years 8 months when I have fulfilled my requirements for my Bachelor's Degree. Man, I am SO excited. This is literally a dream come true. I intend to pursue higher education after several years' time. But man, this is a real opportunity! I am educating myself with other things (I wrote a novella at age 10, I have yet to re-write it, lol). I am also programming, which is what I want to do for the first 10 or so years of my life. And coupled with my education, I will be able to launch into the workforce at the top of my league (For noobs anyways, heh). But....man I am so excited it is real hard to type, lol. I have desires to do a whole plethora of things in my life, including writing, composing music (grr Buzz sounds like 8-bit NES crap ), and making video games (I am a die-hard gamer).

P.S This school also pays for college tuition too.

~Bynary Fission

https://soundcloud.com/bynary-fission/tell-us-who-you-are-battle-tower-royale-character-creation-screen

Last edited by Bynary Fission; 02-27-2008 at 10:36 PM..
Bynary Fission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:35 PM   #2
JKPolk
tool

Send a message via AIM to JKPolk Send a message via Skype™ to JKPolk
Default Re: So I Found About this new High School...

Not to dissuade you, but I hear of these kinda schools popping up and fizzling repeatedly. Make sure you do all the research before jumping in the deep end.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:36 PM   #3
Bynary Fission
Retired One-Hander
FFR Veteran

I will. But this is a BILL GATES-financed high school. For that reason, I have a lot of faith in it. Plus, it pays for all tuition!

~Bynary Fission

https://soundcloud.com/bynary-fission/tell-us-who-you-are-battle-tower-royale-character-creation-screen
Old 02-27-2008, 10:40 PM   #4
foilman8805
smoke wheat hail satin
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Cool.

I hope you're aware of the social development you are clearly denying yourself.

Also, if 40 kids attend this school, there is a small chance you'll get in. You didn't exactly tell us what you have to do to attend...because I'm sure it's not just like, "Hey, welcome! Here's a desk for you! Would you like a massage?"

In my honest opinion, this is a terrible idea. School is the most enjoyable time of your life, and you want to skip right through it and start working? Are you mad?

I wish you luck and whatever, but you should carefully think over a decision like this before you make a mistake.
foilman8805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:42 PM   #5
OnixRose
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I'd like a massage, and I don't like the idea of a Bill Gates school

1000% supporter of FFR character additions
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonid View Post
FFR should implement a form of CAPTCHA that filters out not only spambots but also retards.
OnixRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:44 PM   #6
EnR
Massive flaming dildos.

Send a message via AIM to EnR Send a message via MSN to EnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by foilman8805 View Post
Also, if 40 kids attend this school, there is a small chance you'll get in. You didn't exactly tell us what you have to do to attend...because I'm sure it's not just like, "Hey, welcome! Here's a desk for you! Would you like a massage?"

Quote/And it is a Bill-Gates financed school. It has lax requirements (11+ credits, 2.0GPA or higher, I will have 17.5 when I enter my second year of high school and my GPA is about 3.7 unweighted). /End quote.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:45 PM   #7
Bynary Fission
Retired One-Hander
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Cool.

In my honest opinion, this is a terrible idea. School is the most enjoyable time of your life, and you want to skip right through it and start working? Are you mad?

I wish you luck and whatever, but you should carefully think over a decision like this before you make a mistake.
I plan to join clubs and find kids with similar interests. Plus, most kids I knew were crass, foul-mouthed, belligerent punks...I have yet to find kids I relate to. Thus, I am searching in clubs in and out of schools.

P.S I'm not mad, I just have too much of a work ethic. . Besides, I have a whole game developed in my head just waiting to be put in a computer. It's so exciting, I can't wait to just start working on it, mostly because it is so original...but no details are being given out, it's a secret. Now if it was office work or somethin'..then yeah you should worry about me.

~Bynary Fission

Old 02-27-2008, 10:45 PM   #8
JKPolk
tool

Send a message via AIM to JKPolk Send a message via Skype™ to JKPolk

EnR: Those are requirements, much different than an acceptance.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:47 PM   #9
EnR
Massive flaming dildos.

Send a message via AIM to EnR Send a message via MSN to EnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKPolk View Post
EnR: Those are requirements, much different than an acceptance.
O alright, only semi knew that, I guess I read benders post wong on what he wanted answered xD.

But what is the difference?
Old 02-27-2008, 10:49 PM   #10
Bynary Fission
Retired One-Hander
FFR Veteran

P.S I second what JKPolk said. My middle school was a magnet school which required a 2.0 GPA or higher to enter, among other things. Hundreds of students were in it, many of which weren't really that smart... :/

Plus, my test scores (For standardized tests) and the like are some of the highest in the state. They were so high my counselor said getting an Honors Diploma wouldn't do me any good. So I feel comfortable with my current position.

~Bynary Fission

Old 02-27-2008, 10:50 PM   #11
OnixRose
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

is it just me or is it hard to take bynary seriously with that avatar?

1000% supporter of FFR character additions
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonid View Post
FFR should implement a form of CAPTCHA that filters out not only spambots but also retards.
OnixRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:56 PM   #12
foilman8805
smoke wheat hail satin

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnR View Post
O alright, only semi knew that, I guess I read benders post wong on what he wanted answered xD.

But what is the difference?
Alright...kind of creepy you know my last name and decided to use it. I'd be careful because there's a user named bender5 - just call me foil to avoid confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnixRose View Post
is it just me or is it hard to take bynary seriously with that avatar?
Rofl, I know, right? Hopefully that's not part of his game...
Old 02-27-2008, 10:59 PM   #13
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Quote:
Cool.

The most enjoyable time of your life? I'm all for enjoying your youth but if I could have burned through school that quickly I would have jumped at it in a heart beat. It was a waste of time for me in many cases. Far too slow, wouldn't let me skip grades, very few people I could relate to etc. Not everyone is the same - I fully support these customized education plans for people that don't want to take the standard route.

I have no idea how this program works and if it will work out for you or not, but if it does than good on you.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:00 PM   #14
stretchypanda
shock me shock me
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to stretchypanda

There are a lot of schools that do this.

I know several kids who skipped high school and went straight to college. While this doesn't sound like the same thing, those kids never got the opportunity to develop the interactive skills you get in college. I mean, I know some incredibly gifted kids are loners, but the high school period is a huge growing stage for people, and I think socially, kids who don't go to high school wind up being hurt in the long run. Unable to deal with conflict or just people in general.
stretchypanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:03 PM   #15
foilman8805
smoke wheat hail satin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchypanda View Post

I know several kids who skipped high school and went straight to college. While this doesn't sound like the same thing, those kids never got the opportunity to develop the interactive skills you get in college. I mean, I know some incredibly gifted kids are loners, but the high school period is a huge growing stage for people, and I think socially, kids who don't go to high school wind up being hurt in the long run. Unable to deal with conflict or just people in general.
This was what I was getting at, Reach.

Thanks for elaborating for me, stretch.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:05 PM   #16
Jokee
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Jokee

Thnik about programming, it's fun when you're working on what you want but sitting 8 hours a day trying to create a program that will manage trucks of potatoes? No thanks, at least for me
Old 02-27-2008, 11:07 PM   #17
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Quote:
This was what I was getting at, Reach.

Thanks for elaborating for me, stretch.
Well I don't agree, in particular because although this applies to the majority of people, it doesn't apply to everyone. It's all anecdotal evidence and you don't know if kids that skipped high school would have ended up the same way if they didn't skip it. I barely went to school for a large chunk of time and I turned out just fine. There are prodigies that skip almost the whole public education system and go straight to college and turn out just fine (Michael Kearney?), and there are others that don't.

If he wants to do it and feels it's right for him, it probably is. Most kids turn out the wrong way when they're forced into these situations.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:11 PM   #18
Bynary Fission
Retired One-Hander
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokee View Post
Thnik about programming, it's fun when you're working on what you want but sitting 8 hours a day trying to create a program that will manage trucks of potatoes? No thanks, at least for me
I am not gonna program machine code, lol. That stuff sucks. Programming games and programs is my kind of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchypanda View Post

I build relationships through other people like me...which is scant few. Not to sound arrogant, but most kids are far below my intellectual level. And I just don't relate with them...not even the gifted kids. So really, it hardly affects me, I have built relationships through other means, which suits me perfectly.

~Bynary Fission

Old 02-27-2008, 11:13 PM   #19
foilman8805
smoke wheat hail satin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
Well I don't agree, in particular because although this applies to the majority of people, it doesn't apply to everyone. It's all anecdotal evidence and you don't know if kids that skipped high school would have ended up the same way if they didn't skip it. I barely went to school for a large chunk of time and I turned out just fine. There are prodigies that skip almost the whole public education system and go straight to college and turn out just fine (Michael Kearney?), and there are others that don't.

If he wants to do it and feels it's right for him, it probably is. Most kids turn out the wrong way when they're forced into these situations.
You can make an exception to nearly anything.

This is one of those circular arguments that get nowhere, so out of respect for this thread, I'll just say that I appreciate and understand your opinion. It's true, there are some people gifted enough to leap frog public education, but as you said, these people are prodigies - not the general population. Prodigies are few, general population is many.

Anyways, I'm not telling Bynary to run away from this place, I'm just trying to make sure this is what he really wants. Making decisions like this when you're 14 could have pretty serious consequences later on in life.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:18 PM   #20
stretchypanda
shock me shock me
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to stretchypanda

I mean, I know everything goes case by case. And my experience is with girls who a) came from difficult families and b) were taken advantage of by their college classmates.

And there's nothing wrong with finishing high school early and moving on to college. The problem comes when these very young students are dropped pretty much completely on their own. If you have support coming from somewhere then I don't see you having trouble.

Plus I teach high school and I see students who are well above the intellectual level of their peers and I see students who think they are well above the intellectual level of their peers and both types of students benefit from learning to interact with people their age. In any walk of life you are going to meet people you think are complete idiots, and you will be forced to work with those people.
stretchypanda is offline   Reply With Quote