Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Other Music Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-5-2007, 11:55 PM   #1
thegeddupnoise
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Default Do you think DDR is failing?

I found out about FFR through playing DDR. DDR was immensely popular when I first played it, and it's still really fun to play today. But I think (and I know my opinion is shared with others) that DDR is totally getting worse. ITG is a nice game, but IMO I don't like its songs (its stepcharts are good, but if I don't particularly enjoy the song, I don't really care).

I think DDR is failing mainly because the red songs are stupid. There's a challenging kind of hard, and then there's a plain boring and stupid kind of hard. In the newer DDR, there's so many jumps in NGO Challenge, Unreal Heavy and Paranoia Hades Challenge that it's humanly impossible. If I see a video of anybody FCing NGO Challenge, I will bow down to them, because it's obviously God coming down to earth. The stepcharts aren't fun, they're only frustrating and tiring as you try to do those jumps so fast. When you're at 300bpm+, it should be a rule that jumps should be kept to an absolute minimum, and should be no faster than quarter notes in succession.

Also, I think it's ridiculous that they still haven't created a difficulty higher than 10, even though there's a huge difficulty difference from the easiest 10 to the hardest 10. I think the difficulties should be going up to 15 now, honestly.

Discuss your thoughts on how you think DDR is doing here. I want to hear other people's opinions.
# of Skill Tokens: 82/92

Best FC: HELLBEAT
Best AAA: Crystalis - House Leaves (Remix) (WITH jack syndrome)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zageron View Post
Everything is Vistas fault. If your cat dies, it's also Vistas fault.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkChan View Post
Why do people care about that? It doesn't give you anything in return, it just displays you on the daily stats. Not like anyone would be sucking your dick because you got 3095471750427 arrows on one day.
thegeddupnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2007, 04:01 AM   #2
Erika S
FFR Player

Default Re: Do you think DDR is failing?

Well if you think its way too hard why not play the more classic ones? Ie: DDRE
Erika S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2007, 07:09 AM   #3
Goldenwind
FFR Simfile Author
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Erika S. is pretty much right.
Also, ITG2 allows you to play whatever songs you want. ITG3 songs have been released online. While I agree with you that ITG's song quality has been lacking, ITG3 is a great improvement.

Remember Chaos? Well when you find the ITG3 simpack, try playing either Dream to Nightmare, or Stop!'nGo!. Chaos, while I find fun due to the fact that I know the stops, was just plain beats with no real progression, and its entire concept (Being "chaotic") was just based off of the cheap 1/16th pause they put in the beginning. There's little "chaos" in there at all, by definition.

Don't get me wrong. I've probably played less than $30 on ITG in my life before, and spent well over hundreds on DDR (If I had known that from the beginning, I would've bought my own metal pad). But whatever, can't change the past. Try the two songs I suggested (As well as the rest, if stops aren't your thing XD), and find an ITG2 machine, or DDR:Ex.
Old 12-6-2007, 07:13 AM   #4
bluguerrilla
FFR Player
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bluguerrilla

The stepcharts have always sucked but that doesn't mean I don't have fun playing them.

In terms of hardness absolutely none of them are humanly impossible. You can easily find some kid that can AAA MAX 300 like 5 times in a row. Also, find someone playing Reach's Air or some version of Uber Rave, that's really impressive.

I only started playing at Extreme 2 then worked backwards then got supernova and I think I like MAX2 the best. (I've only played it in the arcade twice)

I don't really like the music on supernova as much as the others. I think the playlists are getting less weird, which is a bummer. I probably won't buy them anymore.
Old 12-6-2007, 07:33 AM   #5
[TeRa]
FFR Player
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

ddr has been dying since about a year after extreme came out. every one started to give up hope with a new one comming out after a while, and then super nova finally came out like 3 years after, and supernova as we all knows sucks.

ddr has been dying for a long time, no question about it, its why i play ITG and FFR/SM.

althought ITG is dying now being they got sued.
[TeRa] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2007, 08:27 AM   #6
leadafro
Tykeem Ultimatum
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to leadafro Send a message via Yahoo to leadafro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeddupnoise View Post
I found out about FFR through playing DDR. DDR was immensely popular when I first played it, and it's still really fun to play today. But I think (and I know my opinion is shared with others) that DDR is totally getting worse. ITG is a nice game, but IMO I don't like its songs (its stepcharts are good, but if I don't particularly enjoy the song, I don't really care).

I think DDR is failing mainly because the red songs are stupid. There's a challenging kind of hard, and then there's a plain boring and stupid kind of hard. In the newer DDR, there's so many jumps in NGO Challenge, Unreal Heavy and Paranoia Hades Challenge that it's humanly impossible. If I see a video of anybody FCing NGO Challenge, I will bow down to them, because it's obviously God coming down to earth. The stepcharts aren't fun, they're only frustrating and tiring as you try to do those jumps so fast. When you're at 300bpm+, it should be a rule that jumps should be kept to an absolute minimum, and should be no faster than quarter notes in succession.

Also, I think it's ridiculous that they still haven't created a difficulty higher than 10, even though there's a huge difficulty difference from the easiest 10 to the hardest 10. I think the difficulties should be going up to 15 now, honestly.

Discuss your thoughts on how you think DDR is doing here. I want to hear other people's opinions.

If you don't like the music on ITG then ummm IDK maybe you could Try Custom songs? Duh? As for DDR getting worse...Worse? its been sucky.

No one over there knows how to make an awsome foot chart except for DukAmok but he said they leave no room for being "Creative" with their stepfiles.That is also mostly because the Stepchart Artists are so limited with their stepping engine.The DDR Engine is not as sophisticated and advanced as Stepmania's/ITG's step editor program.DDR has never improved it's step editor.They are obviously more worried about money than their fan base.

Hopefully Konami will Publish ITG Rebirth.Then ITG will once again be in the arcades.

(Also you would think if they were so worried about their fan base that they would of infact IMPROVED their defects right after the court settlement.)
Old 12-6-2007, 08:31 AM   #7
arsenic-5150-
Banned

kaw bought itg iirc. he posted somewhere that he was planning to do something with the itg3 songs with rebirth or something. anyways. i expect ddr to get much better with duk amok makin charts
arsenic-5150- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2007, 08:42 AM   #8
ELRayford
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

I agree with blu G on the playlists becoming less "weird" I started with Ex1 and fell in love with the game. Then Ex2 was great. By the time SN came out I was not impressed with the song selection. Yes SN has some great files, but there are only a few. Konami needs to step its game up if they intend on releasing another addition to the series. Right now I wouldn't buy the next release.
ELRayford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2007, 10:03 AM   #9
sjoecool1991
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I love ITG because I really like all of Kyle Ward's music, and most the stepcharts.
I hate DDR because 90% of the stepcharts suck.
sjoecool1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2007, 10:22 AM   #10
Necros140606
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Necros140606 Send a message via MSN to Necros140606

ddr status = dead
Old 12-6-2007, 11:29 AM   #11
Timer Rabbit
FFR Player

I'm not the type to play the red-text songs. So I have no word about them being worse or not.

But when I got my hands on SN2, I thought i'll be happy to play the songs I am looking forward, but during the unlocking phrase, some songs are okay (First time to see a Pop'n song (refering to Arrabiata) this challenging, that the stepchart reminded me of the chart in Pop'n Music (9-line). It's scary.), but I find SN (Rainbow Rainbow anyone?)... MORE of my Extreme 2 the best in my collection. >.<

So yea. It's still popular, but some new charts (and even seeing odd lisences that aren't even from Dancemania! What the heck?!) jsut didn't impress me. :\ Even for Xepher, one of my favorite IIDX songs (Duh. Unless you are blind that you don't even know where Xepher came from!), super-hard that it's not fun. (I always stick with Standard for this song, nyo.) Same goes for Kagerow (another Pop'n Music song, for those who don't know.). It's okay and I can pass, but I think the song does not suit DDR. (Now I prefer My Gifts by D-Crew, which it's also in the same Pop'n 11 game with Kagerow.).

I'll end my rant for now. :\ I still play DDR, but only have a Extreme machine, which it's fine by me.

P.S. Everyone got Yuni unlocked in your SN2 games. XP (Because I havn't yet, same for the hard songs.)

Last edited by Timer Rabbit; 12-6-2007 at 11:32 AM..
Timer Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2007, 03:38 PM   #12
lololdrsux
FFR Player

Ddr Sucks!!!!!!!!!!

Pump It Up Is The Best Game In The World..!!!
lololdrsux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2007, 03:43 PM   #13
panphil
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to panphil Send a message via Skype™ to panphil

Quote:
Originally Posted by [TeRa] View Post
supernova as we all knows sucks.
no it didnt sucks
ddr , i think , is not failing . but the ones that were on xbox and the awful one that is on the wii well.... they sucked.
Old 12-6-2007, 04:01 PM   #14
GasesAreFluids
Banned

In my opinion DDR died after Legend of Max and Paranoia Survivor Max. Those were the last good "Hard DDR songs" that weren't so retarded. I think after Extreme, ITG caught wind and people enjoyed things, and DDR tried to amp up the difficulty but in a different way. Look at stuff like Healing-D-Vision Oni or Fascination Maxx Eternal Love Mix or whatever it's called -- it's either crazy crossovers or incredibly stupid jumpchains. Compare to something like ITG where they have more flavorful step patterns and, in my opinion, a better-sounding music selection.

If you look at Supernova, it just doesn't sound good, doesn't flow right, and doesn't play well, and harder difficulty songs aren't any fun. When a song is packed with both awkward, fast, and difficult steps, it just isn't enjoyable to play. It literally becomes painful and needlessly tiring, and then I play something like ITG and feel a wave of relief, haha. DDR has yet to come out with anything that is "tastefully difficult" since Extreme. It's not that the new DDR songs are impossible... they just aren't tasteful stepcharts. That's why you have less and less hype about DDR nowadays.
GasesAreFluids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2007, 04:03 PM   #15
NFD
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to NFD

ITG was always better than DDR, in my humble opinion, even though it is dying.
NFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2007, 04:11 PM   #16
ddr_f4n
FFR Player

I think that ever since ITG came out, everyone just looked back at DDR and said "pfft, that game is too easy now". It would still be doing okay if Konami hasn't been trying to amp up the difficulty level to ITG's standards. In fact, if Kyle Ward didn't create ITG, I think people will still respect DDR.
ddr_f4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2007, 05:11 PM   #17
jellygod
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jellygod Send a message via Skype™ to jellygod

from best to worst imo (ITG,PIU,DDR) and yea i hate ddr stepfiles, whenever i go to the arcade anymore i dont play it or play it maybe once the whole time im there, hopefully they get better with dukamok.

RETIRED
Rank 8 in regional ranking(Great Lakes)
"Never argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
jellygod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2007, 05:48 PM   #18
gabgabo
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to gabgabo

Actually I enjoy both ITG and DDR but yeah, ITG is better.
gabgabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2007, 05:51 PM   #19
DiGiCharat
FFR Player

I agree that difficulty and song selection definitely factor into why DDR is failing, but I also think DDR is becoming a little repetitive and has too much competition. In regards to repetitive, just take a look at the recent PS2 release. It was pretty much just new songs, a new theme, and two new characters. Not really that different from the previous release. Looking at other games, it seems DDR could do a lot more than it's currently doing. I'd like to see some changes like customizable dancing characters or even beatmania support. Look at Rock band, and the number of different controllers used there. Seems like Konami could make a DDR game with a person on a pad and another with a beatmania controller. It probably wouldn't be enough to save the series, but it would at least be an attempt to keep the series fresh or appeal to both audiences. In regards to competition, Guitar Hero is the popular music game of the moment, so it has to be hard to compete against that when selling a music game for the console. Then there's ITG and PIU with both of those games being more preferred in the arcade over DDR. Plus with stepmania and the amount of simfiles available, there really isn't a reason anymore to get a DDR game since you can plug in your mat to your computer and play your own customizable songs.
DiGiCharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2007, 08:02 PM   #20
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiGiCharat View Post
I agree that difficulty and song selection definitely factor into why DDR is failing, but I also think DDR is becoming a little repetitive and has too much competition. In regards to repetitive, just take a look at the recent PS2 release. It was pretty much just new songs, a new theme, and two new characters. Not really that different from the previous release. Looking at other games, it seems DDR could do a lot more than it's currently doing. I'd like to see some changes like customizable dancing characters or even beatmania support. Look at Rock band, and the number of different controllers used there. Seems like Konami could make a DDR game with a person on a pad and another with a beatmania controller. It probably wouldn't be enough to save the series, but it would at least be an attempt to keep the series fresh or appeal to both audiences. In regards to competition, Guitar Hero is the popular music game of the moment, so it has to be hard to compete against that when selling a music game for the console. Then there's ITG and PIU with both of those games being more preferred in the arcade over DDR. Plus with stepmania and the amount of simfiles available, there really isn't a reason anymore to get a DDR game since you can plug in your mat to your computer and play your own customizable songs.
whoa whoa whoa digicharat sup

DDR is failing because the Bemani crowd isn't freaking out over the next release. There's really no reason to. What are we going to get that we don't already have?
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote