Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Films and Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2005, 01:35 PM   #1
Specforces
Yes
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Specforces
Default Music you may or may not know about

Discuss some bands or artists that most people may or may not know about here.

I'll start the discussion off with a few of my personal favorites:

1. Devendra Barnhart-

Devendra Barnhart has one of the most unique voices you'll ever hear; that is, one of the weirdest voices, a high but gritty, off-kilter, androgynous, wailing, trembling voice that is beautiful and scary. Basically folky stuff, it's pretty damn good.
2. Sigur Ros-

Hailing from Iceland, this music is beautiful and breathtaking. In their music they reflect the majesty of the Icelandic wastes they call home. It's also pretty haunting at times. Top shelf stuff.
3. MFdoom-

I realize that most of you may be anti-rap, but it's hard not to fall in love with MFdoom's undeniably unique sound and masterfully crafted lyrics. In my opinion one of the best lyricists on the planet, close to Aesop Rock and others. MFdoom mixes unorthodox lyricism and samples some of the best slections your ears will ever feast upon.
4. Belle & Sebastian

Another folky gig, a band that takes its name from a French children's television series about a boy and his dog would almost have to be precious, and trust me, they are. Their music weaves breathtaking tapestry filled with more horns, string flourishes and fallacious melodies than a romantic heart can bear.
5. Enon-

Completely unpredictible from one song to the next, Enon takes cues from such disparate groups as Pink Floyd, The Beach Boys, and the Elephant 6 Collective. They live in an alternate universe of banging, overdubs, and eclectic homemade instruments that create an auditory orgasm.
6. The Album Leaf-

The Album Leaf consists of mostly instrumental songs built from soothing, shimmering layers of synthesizer, guitar, strings, and percussion that fall over each other like waterfalls splashing into nebulous pools. Sometimes the songs sound like they're moving backwards and forwards at the same time. This is music to fuel beautiful melancholy, the kind of songs you turn to when you want to wallow in your feelings. Definitely good think music.

I have samples of every single band here, and if anyone is interested in expanding musical tastes, you can contact me on AIM at:

Takethetbird

Share some obscure stuff if you have it.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:07 PM   #2
zajac
aka uAnimals
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via MSN to zajac
Default RE: Music you may or may not know about

I listen to a lot of Aesop Rock and MFDoom... My friend named his charecter after Aesop in WoW... MFDoom rocks
zajac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 03:51 PM   #3
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

I know most of those bands just from talking to you Spec...

Architecture in Helsinki

One of my favorite bands to listen to at the moment. They're like an Australian based electronic/indie big band...truly unique in their sound. Maybe somewhat fun and childish, but awesome nonetheless.

Cap'n Jazz

Pretty much a emo/punk garage band from the suburbs of Chicago who were locally popular in the early 90's. The band broke up in 1995. The members went on to form other more successful bands like The Promise Ring, Joan of Arc, American Football, Make Believe, and Owls. Not a band I would suggest to everyone due to their abstract lyrics, offkey singing/screaming, and sketchy guitar rifts.

Figurine

Before Jimmy Tamborello teamed up with Ben Gibbard to form the Postal Service, he changed his name to James Figurine and teamed up with David and Meredith Figurine to form the Euro-synthpop group known as...Figurine. It's kind of like the Postal Service...minus Ben Gibbard.

Dntel

Before Jimmy Tamborello teamed up with Ben Gibbard to form the Postal Service, and before Figurine he was making electronic/IDM songs under the alias Dntel. It's kind of like the Postal Service...minus Ben Gibbard.

GOING UNDER GROUND

A Japanese emo/rock group...they have a synth player...they're cool.

i am robot and proud

Really chill electronic music with major emphasis on melody...chances are you've heard some of his music on a Nike commercial...or Volvo...I dont know. i am robot and proud has had a big inspiration on own my music.

Plone

These guys rock. They've also had a big inspiration for my music.

Sufjan Stevens

Awesome awesome tunes. I guess they'd be considered folk rock...beautiful melodies and lyrics.
jewpinthethird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 06:42 PM   #4
lord_carbo
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to lord_carbo

Femme Fatality

I'm not exactly sure if these guys are popular, but I doubt it though because I only heard about them a month or so ago. It's a really emo band and their lyrics aren't super special, but they are definately different from most other things you will here directed at the "Hot Topic" audiences. It's an electric band with some of the most awsome instrumentals ever and three singers, one with a deep and very strange voice and two with high pitched voices that sound like American Idol wannabees, but somehow it all works out. Google them, go to their website, and listen to some of their songs on their site. The "Dirty Life" video is my suggestion.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:53 PM   #5
Fusion4
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Fusion4

wow im suprised people on ffr listen to indie music, i listen to all those bands specforces

anyways, les georges lenningrad:
probably the craziest act to ever come out of montreal, canada. a trio of two guys and a girl. lead singers the girl who has quite a unique voice, however they switch around between vox drums guitar and whatnot filling in spaces with a drum machine sometimes, i cant be bothered for pictures, but they are pretty crazy looking, if you have a myspace look them up or use wikipedia

the refused:
pretty much the original hardcore band, and believe me its probably not what you think of as hardcore, if you think anything of it at all. new noise is the one song everyone knows from them, but it gets better than that. look em up!

faith no more/ mr bungle/ tomohawk/ dillinger escape plan:
not really related at all, except all were the brainchild of arguably the greatest vocalist alive, mike patton. except dillinger escape plan, he just did one ep with them [he sang the original come to daddy by DEP that aphex twin remixed] all great bands, anything by mike patton is good!

animal collective:
another one of them crazy indie bands, kinda folky at times, lots of weird noises, i wont get into it much

thats all for now i guess
Fusion4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 07:25 PM   #6
Specforces
Yes
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Yeah Jewpin, I love Sufjan Stevens and Dentel. I'll check those others out. Animal collective is fun too. Femme Fatality I saw them in St. Louis, they were alright.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:58 PM   #7
Lightknight924
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Lightknight924

The 1930's singer Willy Nelson. Artist of the famous "Lime In The Coconut" and "Me and my Arryll"
Ahh, greatness.
Lightknight924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 10:02 PM   #8
xiron
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to xiron

I listen to a lot more deathy/grindy stuff, but if you're interested in that...

Nile

Crazy Egyptian mythology themed death metal. Karl Sanders, the bands lyricist, knows his stuff. In the cd booklet, all of the lyrics are accompanied by a lengthy essay explaining them. If you like extremely technical metal, check them out.

Every Time I Die

My current favorite band. I saw them in concert a few months ago, and it was eargasmic. Mathcore mixed with good old rock and roll. Absolutely amazing lyrics. I would highly recommend checking them out.

Between the Buried and Me

Insane stuff. They all are amazing at their instruments. Really random death/grind with lots of start/stop stuff, wicked solos, and great vocals. They're hard to describe.

Nasum

Swedish grindcore. They're probably my favorite grind band. Sadly, their singer was in Thailand when the tsunami struck, so there's not gonna be any new music from them. They are, however, releasing a massive compilation (152 tracks, 80 page booklet) in a month or two. If you like grind, check them out.
xiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 12:26 AM   #9
Mindfields
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Mindfields Send a message via Yahoo to Mindfields

Anyone ever hear of Atomship?
TOOL/APC in the naturalistic instruments, but the singer is more of a... Drowning Pool type. I hope the Drowning Pool part didn't ruin it for you guys, but the band is wonderful. I suggest the song Pencil Fight, it's their most popular song.
Also, alot of people think the band Celldweller as small time probably because they have songs on FFR, but guess what? They kick some ass.
Mindfields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 02:27 AM   #10
Fusion4
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Fusion4

xiron, i listen to a lot of grindcore/hardcore, but i didnt think more than seven people here would. heh, so i neglected that category but i already mentioned DEP

i thought of a few more fun bands, freezepop, of montreal and also some pretty heavy ambient metal like isis or opeth
Fusion4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 06:52 AM   #11
KILLER-x-
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to KILLER-x- Send a message via Yahoo to KILLER-x-

Dj Alligator

One of the best Dj's and would go great with FFR

BlackStar Gaming

KILLER-x- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 08:16 AM   #12
hydrojakep
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to hydrojakep Send a message via AIM to hydrojakep Send a message via MSN to hydrojakep Send a message via Yahoo to hydrojakep

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists

A very indie band, but in the alternative/indie rock genre. I have all of his cds, and each one was as good as the last. I'd recommend them to anyone who likes this type of music.

Sloan

Another great band, a alt rock/pop band, and again a great band for anyone who likes this type of music.

hydrojakep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 08:45 AM   #13
Lightknight924
FFR Player

Grrrraaaooaarr!!

Old 12-29-2005, 09:02 AM   #14
Mindfields
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Mindfields Send a message via Yahoo to Mindfields

That wasn't funny.
Mindfields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 10:22 AM   #15
Lightknight924
FFR Player

I didn't think it would be. I thought I should just point out what I saw.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:27 AM   #16
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

Spec, it's too bad Sigur Ros (too lazy for accents) only has one song. They just repeat it over and over and put new titles on it to make a new CD. Some of the most boring music I've ever heard.

Belle and Sebastian: Thumbs-up. Really homo, but REALLY good.

@Jake: Nice. Ted Leo owns. The Angel's Share is one of my favorite songs.

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 10:37 AM   #17
whorlichan
Tiny Plastic Meat

Send a message via AIM to whorlichan

I know Sigur Ros from my Berkeley buddies and Belle and Sebastian from my Portland buddies. They rave about both of them, and I like what I've heard so far from both. (I guess I haven't heard enough to say that Sigur Ros has only one song, Guido, but both of these bands were recommended by my homosexual lovers, so I guess you're right about that )

I like Massive Attack. I'm pretty sure they only put out two albums, and did a bunch of covers, but they are awesome. I don't know quite how to describe them...it's music you can listen to all day...the lead female singer is ALWAYS high and you can tell from her voice. But that makes it BETTER. IM me and I can send you a couple of clips (TOTALLY LEGAL I OWN THE CDS) for anyone who's interested.
My friend Cassie's amazing photography
whorlichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 12:09 PM   #18
Tank101
I V vi iii IV I IV V
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Tank101

Dr. Octagon...

...paramedic fetus of the east.
One of the only rappers I like. Also has the weirdest lyrics I've ever heard. You might have heard one of his songs Blue Flowers on Tony Hawk 2 for Playstation something. Really weird but awesome.
Tank101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 12:52 PM   #19
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

Merzbow - The best music ever.

EDIT: But seriously...

Etro Anime. They're awesome. No one has ever heard of them. They did the OP music for Digital Devil Saga 1. Too bad their albums are impossible to find and they're beyond obscure unless you're an Atlus employee.

^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved
Moogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 05:53 PM   #20
Specforces
Yes
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

The Streets

British suburban rap, enough said.