Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Films and Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Better movie: Con Air or The Rock?
Con Air 1 50.00%
The Rock 1 50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2005, 11:24 PM   #1
Schrammbledeggs
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Default Blu-Ray DVD's and other stuff

I think it's pretty imminent that Blu-Ray is gonna whomp HD-DVD. To all those DVD collectors/enthusiasts out there (I myself am slightly over 300 titles owned) what are you planning on doing when the new format comes out? My plan as of now is to purchase a 1080i HDTV (when I get the money) and buy an upconversion DVD player that supports Blu-Ray. This way I'll be able to watch Blu-Ray DVD's when they come out and due to the upconversion my standard DVD's will look WAY better (almost HD quality but not quite). I used to own a couple Superbit DVD's and I want to dispel a rumor...they do NOT look better on a standard television. The deal with Superbit is that they take all the space on the disc normally allocated for special features and they double encode the bit rate which uses that extra space to enhance the audio and video. You still need an excellent television and probably DTS to notice any difference. Anyway...yea that's my plan...any suggestions/comments? If anyone wants to talk DVD's with me I'm always available. I love them. Later.

Movie Reviewer at ddrgeek.com
Schrammbledeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 12:34 AM   #2
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek
Default RE: Blu-Ray DVD

You should know, with new technology, you should wait a year or two before getting one. Unless you're REALLY big into this stuff, just hold off on it. DVD players were, what, $300 when they first came out? And you can get one for about 20 bucks now?

That being said, I must ask as an advocate: Full or Wide? Your answer reflects your validity as an enthusiast greatly.

~Squeek
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 01:44 AM   #3
Schrammbledeggs
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

ALWAYS widescreen. The true enthusiast knows that you see more of the movie in this format and full-screen cuts stuff out to fit to your square television(unless....you have a rectangular television). I do own a select few full-screen movies only because they aren't available in widescreen (these usually include television on DVD and Disney movies). Widescreen is easily the best way to go. I'm very adamant about that.

Old 11-13-2005, 03:47 AM   #4
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

Really, I'm not one who goes out and buys the newest technology right away. But I am also not one who waits 5 years for technology to drop to bargin-bin prices. But in this case as it is, I will go for whichever of the two technologies dominates. I'm in favor of Blu-Ray because it is superior to HD-DVD and also because it is backed by Sony and I am a Sony fanboy.
jewpinthethird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 12:29 PM   #5
Schrammbledeggs
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Another reason you should be in favor of Blu-Ray is because almost ALL of the movie studios have agreed to support it and not HD-DVD.