Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 02:13 PM   #1
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter
Default Reverse Discrimination

So, at my school we have a student senate. On this senate there are student-elected senators from the various colleges (Engineering, arts, liberal arts, etc.). On top of these seats for which anyone can run (provided they run for a seat in their respective college, of course), there are a few "special interest" seats for which only people from those interests (races) can run.

These very seats are in violation of Supreme Court rulings that people should not be discriminated because of race or nationality. Hell, even our school constitution or big rulebook or whatever it's called says it doesn't discriminate, but it is. Sure, it's not hurting the minorities because they're minorities, but it's giving them special representation just because they are. I'd like to mention that there isn't a white special interest seat. Also, we're not a very diverse campus. You'll see some Indian/Sri Lankans down in the Engineering department, and a handful of black people, but we're largely white. This is no excuse, though.

Last year, the Young Conservatives of Texas at SMU (you may have heard of us in the news for the race-based bake sale, where we sold baked goods to minorities for lower prices) got enough signatures on a petition to allow ANYONE to hold the special interest senate spots. It failed by a slim margin. Now, we're doing the same to just abolish them altogether, instead of just removing their specialness.

Affirmative Action is wrong.

Thoughts?

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 02:55 PM   #2
Eyoshi
Certified Calendarwhore
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Eyoshi Send a message via Skype™ to Eyoshi

Yeah, that is wrong. I don't see how there can be positions that can only be occupied that people of a certain race.

Please do not be offended of my following comment:
Regarding Affirmative Action, I feel that it is outdated. I feel that its use has been carried out in giving more opportunities to minorities. While minorites were at a disadvantage before this was passed, today they have as much of a chance at a job, university spot, etc. as everyone else, making the need for it no more. Now, Affirmative Action seems to just give advantages toward some people.

P.S. Were there special seats for those who were asian?
Old 10-14-2005, 04:12 PM   #3
chickendude
Away from Computer
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to chickendude

This reminds me clearly of the topic about sexism, and how women are getting more power than men now. It's true. Whenever there is any kind of discrimination, it always rebounds too far.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:10 PM   #4
esupin
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to esupin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyoshi
Asians are hurt more be Affirmative Action because they are expected to do better than the average Caucasian.
Pisses me off.

http://www.youtube.com/esupin
esupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 07:15 PM   #5
Eyoshi
Certified Calendarwhore
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Eyoshi Send a message via Skype™ to Eyoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by esupin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyoshi
Asians are hurt more be Affirmative Action because they are expected to do better than the average Caucasian.
Pisses me off.
Exactly.

The Affirmative Action doesn't include Asians. This is surprising as Asians were also discriminated against in the past.

Besides, even if asians generally do better than others, why should they be at a disadvantage when they want to get into a college that they want?
Things like this vexes me.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:17 AM   #6
lord_carbo
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to lord_carbo

Gah. I hate what biased behaviors do. They suck while it happens, but they suck even more after it is over with. It's more or less out of pity of the past, which pisses me off. If we kept doing this pity crap, the cycle will just go back and fourth and back and fourth >_< Argh!
Old 10-16-2005, 01:40 AM   #7
ImEric12
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to ImEric12

Today, while taking the PSAT, there was a circle to fill in if, "you are a Black American and would like to apply for the *such and such scholarship association* in addition to the National Merit Society."

I would've said something if I didn't want to just get the test done and go home =\

I find that incredibly BS, though. Why should race effect scholarship at all?

ImEric12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 09:56 AM   #8
Omeganitros
auauauau
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Omeganitros

This reminds me of the Oscars. When that Halle Berry lady won they were all "OH MY FREAKING GOD SHE'S BLACK AND SHE WON!!!!11" I wanted to spit on the announcers.
Omeganitros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 10:00 AM   #9
talisman
Resident Penguin
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to talisman

I say it's either all or nothing. Either add a white seat and one for every other race that's on campus or have none.
talisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 10:05 AM   #10
esupin
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to esupin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEric12
Today, while taking the PSAT, there was a circle to fill in if, "you are a Black American and would like to apply for the *such and such scholarship association* in addition to the National Merit Society."

I would've said something if I didn't want to just get the test done and go home =\

I find that incredibly BS, though. Why should race effect scholarship at all?
I took the PSATs yesterday, and I thought the exact same thing!

http://www.youtube.com/esupin
esupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 10:07 AM   #11
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Eric, there's nothing wrong with that if private institutions want to give scholarships to whomever they want, but SMU is an institution that gets considerable public funding and specifically says they don't discriminate.

--Guido

Quote:
Quote:
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:40 AM   #12
Jam930
FFR Player

I agree completely. Affirmative action is stupid. The only way we're all going to be equal is if we're all treated equal... it's just so simple.

How about BET? Black Entertainment Television.

If I made a WET or White Entertainment Television, I'd be called a nazi and shot down.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:43 PM   #13
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Now for the part that really makes me mad. There's been overwhelming support for my side so far in this thread, so why isn't there overwhelming support at my school? Is our stance unreasonable? No. Is the other side a better path to take? Well, it's easier, since nothing has to be changed and it makes it look like we're trying to help minorities, but it lacks principles.

I'm convinced that the liberals at SMU are demonizing our position just because the YCT supports it. We're controversial, yes. We do some interesting things to illustrate our points and the ludicre involved in not agreeing. We didn't ask for national media attention (this is in regard to our bake sale, not what we're doing now); we just wanted to show people on our campus how ridiculous affirmative action is. We got national attention because people blew up and called us racists.

So now people think we're just trying to pull stunts for attention again, when, in actuality, we just want to argue a perfectly reasonable stance. My liberal, black friend asked me yesterday if I would vote for the abolishment of the seats if he held one of them. I said of course I would and that I would vote for it if any of my conservative friends were on it, too. When I first expressed my support for the petition he responded with "Aw, what's so wrong with them?" I'm not suggesting that this is the most prevalent argument against the petition, but he is a pretty typical liberal, from my experience. He just can't understand the principle involved in what we're trying to do and that we can work bit by bit to abolish the ridiculous idea of affirmative action.

I know that with all this liberals-trying-to-bring-down-conservatives conspiracy theories that I sound a bit like Rush Limbaugh, when his conspiracy theories is one of the main reasons I don't like him all that much. But now I'm just stretching for reasons to explain why there isn't near-unanimous support for this petition.

Ugh, now I'm all riled up again...

--Guido

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-17-2005, 08:10 PM   #14
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

Though I think many people will agree that the best way to get rid of racism is to become a color blind society. But you all seem to be forgetting, black and hispanic people are lazy. It isn't their fault they are lazy, it's all about genetics. Caucasian people just have superior genes. It's all for the good of the world. Black and hispanic people are the cause of most of the crime, by giving them a leg up, white people are lowering their risk of getting stabbed or shot by a minority. Minorities are also stupid. You have to trick them into thinking they contribute to society such as reserving them a spot on the student senate.

So the next time you are angered by affirmative action, just remember, it's for the good of the white race.

NOTE: DO NOT TAKE THIS POST SERIOUSLY. IT IS A JOKE. I AM NOT ACTUAL A WHITE SUPREMIST. I am trying to point out how racist affirmative action really is. I believe affirmative action is wrong. Affirmative action is almost entirely pointless in today's age. Sure there still is a lot of racism, but it is nowhere near the extent that it was 40 years ago when affirmative action ensured that people of color were allowed admission to college. Race should not be a factor in whether or not you get into a school. Race should not be a factor in determining anything (except for medical conditions).
jewpinthethird is offline   Reply With Quote