Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 06:17 PM   #1
msbrunnettemickey
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to msbrunnettemickey Send a message via MSN to msbrunnettemickey
Default Eating Disorders

In my school there is a group called "The world of difference" for sophomores, who go to the middle school, and talk to the 8th graders about health life (family life). When i was a sophomore, i was asked to write a guide about eating disorders to show them what they should do if they know someone who has it, and to learn about the types of eating disorders and it went like this...:

What are Eating Disorders?

In the United States, we ofter see messages that seem to say being thin is very important. Many of the dancers, actors and models we see on television, in movies and in advertising are thin, and many people think they want to look like them.
Trying too hard to be thin can lead to eating disorders, or problems around eating. Some dancers, actora and models have eating disorders. So do jockeys and flight attendants. More women than men have eating disorders, but men are affected, too. Many young people have eating disorders.
Often people with eating disorders have low self-esteem. They may thing: If i am thin, i will be happy, popular, successful and self-confident.
The most common eating disorders are anorexia nervosa and bulimia.
Anorexia means "a lack of appetite for food." People with anorexia nervosa feel fat even if they are very thin. They are very concerned about body size. They spend a lot of time thinking about eating, food, weight and body image.
They cit down the amount of food they eat and exercise a lot to lose weight. They may hide food or throw it away. Sometimes, peoplewith anorexia nervosa don't believe they have a problem with food or eating.
Sometimes, they have to be put in the hospital to keep them from starving to death. Some people with this eating disorder die.
People with anorexia nervosa need help. They might need to talk to a counselor or a doctor. If you think someone you know has this problem, you should talk to an adult you trust about it.
Warning signs of anorexia nervosa
-losing 25% of her or his body weight for no known reason
-eating less and less food
-not feeling hungry
-worrying a lot about foods that have fat and not eating them
-exercising for a long time, even when feeling very tired and weak
-feeling very afraid of gaining weight
-handling food in strange ways
Bulimia is an eating disorder that involves bingeing or purging. Bingeing means eating a lot of food in a short time. Purging means trying to get rid of the food by vomiting or using laxatives or diuretics (water pills).
People with bulimia may feel they are out of control when they are bingeing. They ofter buy food that is sweet and high in calories, such as ice cream, to eat during binge. They try to keep the bingeing a secret.
A binge usually ends when the eater's stomach starts to hurt. After a binge, people with bulimia may make themselves vomit to get rid of the food. They may also use laxatives or diuretics to try to keep their weight down. They may feel very depressed after a binge.
Most people with bulimia weight close to a normal weights. But they are very worried aboutt their body shape and wieght. They may try many other ways to keep their weight down. They may go on strict diets or do lots of exercise.
Vomiting can harm teeth (=O). It can cause chemical imbalances in the body. It can also cause people to be dehydrated (sp?), or to lack water in the body. These problems can even cause death. ='(
Warning sings of bulimia (as already said above)
-worrying about weight
-using vomiting, laxatives or diurectics to lose weight
-bingeing or fasting
-being secretive about binges and vomiting
-eating a lot of food that's high in calories
-feeling depressed

This is just to start things off... I will have more information later.

P.s. Please discuss XD

בקצה השמיים, ובסוף המדבר, יש מקום רחוק מלא פרחי בר
מקום קטן, עלוב ומשוגע, מקום רחוק מקום לדאגה
יש אומרים שם שמשיקרה וחושבים אל כל מה שקרה
אלוהים שם יושב ורואה ושומר אל כל משברא
אסור לקטוף את פרחי הגן
אסור לקטוף את פרחי הגן
ודואג ודואג נורא
msbrunnettemickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 08:32 AM   #2
ruifio894
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to ruifio894 Send a message via AIM to ruifio894 Send a message via Yahoo to ruifio894
Default RE: Eating Disorders

There arent alot of anerexic people in my school.

ruifio894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 09:05 AM   #3
msbrunnettemickey
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to msbrunnettemickey Send a message via MSN to msbrunnettemickey

Well, people with eating disorders don't have to be in your school. Many other people outside of schools do have eating disorders.
In my school there were four. I got to help them and listen to their problems. All four of them had bulimia. They would go to the bathroom for awhile after lunch, and come back all sick-looking, so i thought it would be good if i asked them. Now they are recovering and they are doing pretty well.

I know most of the people on FFR do already know about eating disorders, but i just like to make things more clear.

If your friend does have eating disorders (like my friends) and you go up to them in a calm and cating way... You are doing the right thing!
Being healthy means accepting and nourishing your body, right? Someone who is not eating or eating too much may need help.
Sometimes, you can't solve your friend's/other's problems, but you can help. Honestly share your concerns.
Get someone who has more experience in eating disorders, maybe a counselor. This would help your friend greatly.
So, you are doing the right thing. Others will be glad to know and want to help you as well.

Have you ever known/know someone who has anorexia nervosa/bulimia?
Did you do anything to help them?

אסור לקטוף את פרחי הגן
אסור לקטוף את פרחי הגן
ודואג ודואג נורא
Old 07-19-2005, 10:10 AM   #4
stlunatic0124
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Very good job with that guide. Last semester we found out one of our friends was anorexic. After looking at all the signs it seemed so clear that she had it and we didn't know how we didn't realize it earlier.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:54 PM   #5
msbrunnettemickey
FFR Player

Thank you. Yes, some people with eating disorders are very good at hiding their disorder from people.

אסור לקטוף את פרחי הגן
אסור לקטוף את פרחי הגן
ודואג ודואג נורא
Old 07-19-2005, 02:37 PM   #6
Problems
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

A girl in my school was out of class for about 2 months(?). It could have been longer or shorter, I don't remember. But, the point is, I finally got someone to tell me something about it and the person said it was because she had Anorexia. I couldn't have geussed for my life it was an eating disorder. She was pretty, popular, rich. She wasn't too skinny or too fat. But I geuss being under those(^^^) circumstances will put you under pressure enough to become Anorexic.
Problems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 04:23 PM   #7
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

Eating dissorders aren't limited to those. What about people who are overweight and seemingly have an addiction to food? Overeating disorders?I don't know what it's called, but I'm sure we all know of someone who gets some sort of emotional gratification from eating that they don't get from anything else.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:54 PM   #8
Austaph
FFR Player

msbrunnettemickey, excellent job on your guide. I did something like this once, but on drug addiction. It's wonderful that you're spreading awareness of eating disorders throughout your school. I do agree with Afrobean, though. Have you thought of including some information on obesity? Obesity has actually become an epidemic in America - and for the sake of awareness - overweight people's feelings of insecurity must be spared so that others (and maybe even overweight people, themselves) may come to a greater understanding of such an eating disorder.

Do you have any ideas on what people can do to overcome their eating disorders? Are these disorders hopeless? Are there any healthy alternatives to eating disorders? I know you said your guide was incomplete - just trying to help by providing some topics to consider. Best of luck.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:06 PM   #9
msbrunnettemickey
FFR Player

Thank you, and good point.

I have actually have made little research about this.. obesity issue.
I know that older obese people get drunk a lot, and take drugs to make them forget that they are very.. indeed fat. After that they are silver for awhile, they will get very emotional, and start to cut themselves. They would look at their hands and when they are exposed to that fat coming out, they break down. And that leads to suicide.

How do people overcome eating disorders.. Hmm. The disorders are not hopeless. Look at Mary-Kate Olsen. She overcame bulimia. I believe someone was concerned about her, and sent her to the hospital where she had to recover, and also overcome it. She was, also, given a course, and got her own private psychologist.

My brother is a psychologist, he has been helping lots of people who got to the point that they needed to seek help from him. He told me some of them were emotionally ill from being what they are (having eating disorders) and wanting to be healthy and happy. Some of them were sent by someone who were concerned about them. They would be stubborn and deny the fact that they do have eating disorders. They would hide it in anyway they can, and thats how you can't overcome it, until you eventually die.

אסור לקטוף את פרחי הגן
אסור לקטוף את פרחי הגן
ודואג ודואג נורא
Old 07-19-2005, 08:14 PM   #10
Austaph
FFR Player

Yeah, obesity is very real, and very dangerous. The documentary Super Size Me is about a guy who eats nothing but McDonalds, 3 times a day for 30 days, and has his nutrition levels mapped throughout the month. It's a no-brainer, but was still pretty shocking to see what happened to him.

Well, what about alternatives to eating disorders? Healthy foods, maybe? Healthy addictions, like exercise? Harboring a positive self-image (not, I'm too fat or too skinny)? Being content with who you are? I know you'll do an awesome job on this.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:54 PM   #11
emptiness
FFR Player

Send a message via Yahoo to emptiness

It'll be hard giving up "comfort" foods
Old 07-21-2005, 06:04 PM   #12
Austaph
FFR Player

emptiness: Hell yeah. I just had to turn down a pint of ice cream. That stuff hits me worse than alcohol - i'm not even joking around. I get comfortable with eating the crap every day, then the next thing I know I'm tipping the scales.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:22 PM   #13
emptiness
FFR Player

Send a message via Yahoo to emptiness

?? are you trying to make it seem like i said that
Old 07-21-2005, 11:53 PM   #14
Austaph
FFR Player

No... you said it's hard to turn down comfort foods. I agreed with you and gave a personal example. I gave in to the ice cream, by the way. My life officially has no meaning.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:59 PM   #15
msbrunnettemickey
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austaph
Well, what about alternatives to eating disorders? Healthy foods, maybe? Healthy addictions, like exercise? Harboring a positive self-image (not, I'm too fat or too skinny)? Being content with who you are? I know you'll do an awesome job on this.
I am not too sure...
I'll have to see someone about this, and then i'll give you an answer.

אסור לקטוף את פרחי הגן
אסור לקטוף את פרחי הגן
ודואג ודואג נורא
Old 07-28-2005, 01:50 AM   #16
suicidalmuskrat
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to suicidalmuskrat Send a message via MSN to suicidalmuskrat Send a message via Yahoo to suicidalmuskrat

lol. well, there were lots of grammatical and spelling errors. aside from that, it was pretty vague and obvious, to be honest with you. Perhaps this belongs in chit-chat? Obviously you're trying to raise awareness with those who don't know a whole lot about it. (A warning sign of bulemia is secretly purging? I should have known my friend was bulemic. Because I could of sworn she was vomiting and not telling anybody)...Actually the first love of my life was anorexic and bulemic, and we went out for over a year...There was a special term for what she has, and right now I'm too lazy to look it up. Perhaps you know? It was a half-and-half mixture, for the most part. Anyways...It is cool that you're bringing awareness to this, I'm just not sure how critically I had to think. Seemed more like it should be in chit-chat...it'd reach more people that way anyways.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:59 AM   #17
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean
Eating dissorders aren't limited to those. What about people who are overweight and seemingly have an addiction to food? Overeating disorders?I don't know what it's called, but I'm sure we all know of someone who gets some sort of emotional gratification from eating that they don't get from anything else.
Dont you see the point. No one cares about Fat people. When you think eatting disorder, you think about all those skinny people vommiting their way to popularity.

Anorexia and Bulimia are not problems anyone should be concerned about. These "diseases" are a process of evolution. It's a way to kill off those who are to stupid to realize that humans need food. Or if you are religious, these "plagues" are Gods way of saying "hey, hurry up and die you stupid person."

I dont care about these people, it just means more food for me.

It's fat people we should be concerned about. They are eating all my food. I am tired of having to wait ten minutes in line at Hometown Buffet while some fat person piles food onto their plate, leaving nothing left for me. I then have to wait an extra 7 minutes while the cooks make up another batch of whatever food it is that I want. Also, fat people take up too much space. Sometimes, I want to place my elbows on the armrest when I watch a movie, but I can't because the guy next to me is overflowing with fat and taking up all my elbow room with his fat.

And car companies keep making cars bigger and bigger so fat people can cart their fat-ass families around town. And usually they are too busy stuffing their fat mouths with Big Macs to pay attention to the road which is dangerous for those of us who arent fat and drive small cars. And because more big cars are made by American car companies, the cars are extra top heavy and are always flipping over and causing traffic jams making me late to where I need to go.

Anorexic and Bulimic people only hurt themselves (and sometimes those who love them), but fat people hurt everyone, animals, and the economy.
jewpinthethird is offline   Reply With Quote