Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-4-2005, 05:10 PM   #1
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Moogy
Default Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana

This is the best RPG in years. Anyone that doesn't get it sucks.

It's also 2D, which is a recipe for awesome.

^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved
Moogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-4-2005, 07:13 PM   #2
ToshX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Default RE: Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana

2D games, although lacking graphics, seem superior to 3D games in gameplay, from my experiences. Just leave out the Playerworld crap and I'll reinforce this 95% of the time.
---
I read up on the game, I've concluded it's just another RPG-like cliche piece of crap. This is the other 5%.
ToshX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-4-2005, 10:26 PM   #3
Brainmaster07
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Brainmaster07

I'm going to see if I can't find it at blockbuster. I'll tell you what I think of it if I can.
Old 07-5-2005, 09:41 AM   #4
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

I doubt you'll find it for rent anywhere, because most rental places don't stock obscure Japanese 2D RPGs. Try GameFly, though.

Old 07-5-2005, 12:07 PM   #5
Omeganitros
auauauau
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Omeganitros

I saw a video of this once, it did look really cool.
Omeganitros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-5-2005, 03:14 PM   #6
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

Yeah, I had it reserved for like 2 months.

Nippon Ichi + Preorder bonus = instant preorder.

Apparently it's selling like crazy, so we might have some hope of NIS localizing Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana 2, which just came out in Japan.

Old 07-5-2005, 03:36 PM   #7
ToshX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Ugh, they made Disgaea and now they have 10 billion copied games of it(especially La Pucelle). They need to just make sequels, because Disgaea was awesome.
Old 07-5-2005, 03:42 PM   #8
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

La Pucelle was made before Disgaea. It was localized later, but it was made before. La Pucelle, Disgaea, and Phantom Brave (and Makai Kingdom, soon) are all made by NIS and are part of a string of great PS2 SRPGS. None of them are copies, as each has a distinct battle system. I would know, as I own all three (and I'm preordering Makai Kingdom soon).

La Pucelle = JP 2002, US 2004
Disgaea = JP 2003, US 2003
Phantom Brave = JP 2004, US 2004

Also, there's apparently a Disgaea anime in the works.

Also note that NIS did not make Atelier Iris - it just translated and published it. It was developed by Gust. It's also NIS America's first published game. Disgaea and Phantom Brave were both published by Atlus, notorious for having small production runs of games. Disgaea is actually the game that Atlus has produced the most copies of, due to having two production runs in the US. According to GameFAQs, NIS America is publishing Makai Kingdom as well. Note that La Pucelle was published/localized by Mastiff, who are responsible for localizing Technic Beat and PIU Exceed PS2 (soon).

And stuff.

Old 07-5-2005, 04:32 PM   #9
ToshX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogy
La Pucelle was made before Disgaea. It was localized later, but it was made before. La Pucelle, Disgaea, and Phantom Brave (and Makai Kingdom, soon) are all made by NIS and are part of a string of great PS2 SRPGS. None of them are copies, as each has a distinct battle system. I would know, as I own all three (and I'm preordering Makai Kingdom soon).

La Pucelle = JP 2002, US 2004
Disgaea = JP 2003, US 2003
Phantom Brave = JP 2004, US 2004

Also, there's apparently a Disgaea anime in the works.

Also note that NIS did not make Atelier Iris - it just translated and published it. It was developed by Gust. It's also NIS America's first published game. Disgaea and Phantom Brave were both published by Atlus, notorious for having small production runs of games. Disgaea is actually the game that Atlus has produced the most copies of, due to having two production runs in the US. According to GameFAQs, NIS America is publishing Makai Kingdom as well. Note that La Pucelle was published/localized by Mastiff, who are responsible for localizing Technic Beat and PIU Exceed PS2 (soon).

And stuff.
Thanks for all of this information. I bought Disgaea, my friend loved it, but a few months later decided to buy La Pucelle(when it was new on the first week) instead anyway. I played the beginning of it at his house and it seemed as if it were Disgaea, just with SLIGHTLY different character design. The battle system also seemed incredibly similar. In other words I thought of it as a copy, until now.
---
My Disgaea save has 4 level 9,999s, and about 10 level 7,000+s. I have the Space+Time Machine, unlocked every character, every level, have 3 Prinny Costume on all my fighting characters and the monster weapon I forgot the name of on Uber-Prinny Baal on all of my monster characters. GG.
Old 07-8-2005, 08:52 PM   #10
Brainmaster07
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Brainmaster07

Went and bought it at gamestop two days ago. 9 hours in right now, and it's indeed awesome. Both the character and music are great. The difficulty is a little lacking, at least, until I ran into that ice dragon who completely murderized my face 9 times before I killed him :<.

Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 07-9-2005, 10:28 AM   #11
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

Heh, I didn't really have any trouble until the boss of the Flawless Marvel. Now that guy is tough.

Glad you like it.

Old 07-9-2005, 10:38 AM   #12
Omeganitros
auauauau
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I think the reason it's selling like hot cakes is because that show X-Play did a review of the game and gave it a 4 out of 5.
Old 07-9-2005, 10:41 AM   #13
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

X-Play is full of jerks. I'd have given it a 5/5.

But yeah, it's selling very well for a first-time American offering from both the publisher and the developer. Hopefully NIS will bring the sequel across, too.

Old 07-9-2005, 10:44 AM   #14
Omeganitros
auauauau
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Hahaha, I remember the time when an enraged fanboy attacked them with a lightsaber because they gave Jedi Outcast a 2 out of 5? They are jerks sometimes, but I think they know when they make unpopular choices.
Old 07-9-2005, 11:07 AM   #15
ToshX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Speaking of sequels, Disgaea 2 was supposed to have come out a while ago, but I just lost track of it. Also, I'm assuming this game costs $49.99 at Gamestop, and since I don't like it much, I'll wait to get it used for like 35 bucks or something. Since you all seem to have good judgement, I think it is time I tried another game like Disgaea.
Old 07-9-2005, 11:14 AM   #16
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

There's no such thing as Disgaea 2. Maybe some glorious day in the future, but not now.

And you'd better get this game fast. This is NISA's very first published game, and they're using Atlus equipment to press it. What does that mean? It probably means it will be pretty rare after the initial run sells out.

Old 07-9-2005, 02:10 PM   #17
ToshX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Yes, but how long can I expect that to take?
Old 07-11-2005, 07:16 PM   #18
Saturos
FFR Player

Most stores were limited to 3-7 units, and cannot purchase more. So if your local EB or Gamestop are out of stock, it will be a huge pain in the ass to track one down unless you start looking now.

And Disgaea is pretty much E-Bay only, now. And at about $80 average there, I doubt you'd want to buy it since you said you didn't want to pay the full $50 for Atelier.
Saturos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-3-2005, 12:26 PM   #19
Lord_Ghaleon
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Lord_Ghaleon Send a message via MSN to Lord_Ghaleon Send a message via Yahoo to Lord_Ghaleon

Yes, I am aware that this is Necroposting, but i need to ask Moogy a serious question cause I'm obsessed with getting this one scene that i cant seem to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameFAQs topic by me, LW is me
From: Lord_Windscar_ | Posted: 11/2/2005 7:04:05 PM | Message Detail
WHERES THE FREAKING KISSING! You'd think that Klein would ya know, grow a spine after hugging her...twice! So many freaking subtle hints, especially at the end, and he doesnt freaking get a clue.

You'd expect Lita to do it for him, but she's JUST as stupid. <_<.
---
Trivia XVI:Riders of the Apocalypse (RotA)
Xu Huang: Behold my Mighty Skillz!
From: Ferdinand Pelayo | Posted: 11/2/2005 10:39:32 PM | Message Detail
> WHERES THE FREAKING KISSING!

They did, but it seems to depend on what you've done up to that point.

It was at the scene at the magic circle next to Zeldalia's, the one you get to see a snippet of right at the start of a new game. I got to see both outcomes. First, I did the Reptile Egg part by not making Movagain, went straight to the next story scene (skipped checking back at the Mine), and got the scene where he puts his arm around her. Then I went back and did the Movagain stuff and got the kiss. I can't remember if I did other relationship-type scenes (like during shop synthesis) while I was running around getting the Movagain ingredients. I suspect I did since visiting the Arcose Mine after beating the "flaming salamander" produces a bit of a Lita-Klein relationship scene, and I was able to get the kiss with and without getting the Mine scene first.
My question to Moogy is, did you get that part of the scene where Klein wrapped his arm around her like the stupid romancist he is, or was he NOT so stupid on your playthrough and they kissed, which is what i want to see.

I WANT TO SEE THE SCENE WHERE THEY KISS! The first person to reveal the method to get me to see them doing so will NOT be slaughtered in my wake of rage.

Liek OMG Support my friend 2kM and download this pack! I\'ll give you TWO cookies. <_<
Lord_Ghaleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-3-2005, 12:36 PM   #20
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

That guy is probably making shit up. AFAIK, that scene is scripted to always occur - it's the scene you see at the beginning of the game.

Also, ignore my comment at the top of this page. Disgaea 2 comes out next month in Japan.

Also, I finally got all of the items in this game. It took me forever, but I did. The Astral Cane, which you can FINALLY make after getting EVERY other item, sucks. It's terrible and a shitty prize.