Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2005, 06:16 PM   #1
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek
Default Bleach

As per my format, let me begin with the synopsis from Anime News Network

"Kurosaki Ichigo has always been able to see ghosts, but this ability doesn't change his life nearly as much as his close encounter with Kuchiki Rukia, a Soul Reaper and member of the mysterious Soul Society. While fighting a Hollow, an evil spirit that preys on humans who display psychic energy, Rukia attempts to lend Ichigo some of her powers so that he can save his family; but much to her surprise, Ichigo absorbs every last drop of her energy. Now a full-fledged Soul Reaper himself, Ichigo quickly learns that the world he inhabits is one full of dangerous spirits and, along with Rukia--who is slowly regaining her powers--it's Ichigo's job to protect the innocent from Hollows and help the spirits themselves find peace."

The television series is relatively new after taking off from the manga with many corporate sponsors. However, in 15 short episodes, the show has lured me into its glory.

The action scenes are pretty sweet. The main character looks pretty hardcore when he's prepared to fight. The music tempo picks up during fights and doesn't stop until there's a break in the action.

Of course, you can't just have a show that's all action. That makes for some disinteresting stuff. I'd say Bleach is about 33% action scenes, 17% people-talking-to-eachother, and 50% comedic genius. The jokes used in this show are hilarious; I daresay even more comical than Excel Saga at times. Primarily because you don't expect them in a show like this, then they fly at you with brute force.

I'm interested to see where this series goes. They've already added a whole crapload of important characters into regular appearances and it seems as though more are coming. I don't want to spoil it by reading the manga as I did with Naruto, so I'll be a faithful watcher as the series runs on and on.

Kefit has informed me that it is likely this show will be around for at least 2-3 years.

~Squeek

PS - I personally hate how Lunar does this series.
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 06:18 PM   #2
emccky
Banned
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to emccky Send a message via MSN to emccky
Default RE: Bleach

I saw one episode and I only thought it was alright. Maybe I should look more into it.
emccky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2005, 08:21 AM   #3
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default RE: Bleach

So, Bleach 16 came out a while back. I'll assume everybody that is keeping up has seen it by now.

One of the better episodes. We can infer that Ichigo is going to be learning some new skillzzzzz soon.

I eagerly await episode 17 as I bump this topic.

~Squeek

PS - Does anybody else hate the way Lunar is subbing this series? I don't care if you're trying to match speech patterns, it looks stupid. I've been getting Keep's subs and replacing Lunar's with those for my archive.
Old 02-1-2005, 09:55 AM   #4
MarineSolider
FFR Player

yeah. Bleach is quite awesome. But have you seen Naruto yet? Omg that IS better than Bleach. I'm serious. I'm a Bleach fan, but truth be told, Naruto is alot more better. If you want full manga scans and full anime episodes, go to www.narutofan.com, sign up for free, and watch.
MarineSolider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2005, 10:19 AM   #5
Chromer
Hookers and Blow
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Chromer Send a message via Yahoo to Chromer

Meh. my friend let me borrow the manga, and I read vol. 1 and 2. No offense, but it didn't really capture my attention, like my friends said it would. The story is semi-good, and the art is pretty cool, but its not in my tastes. But on the subject of referring manga, has anyone read The Wallflower or Shichihenge Yamatodeshiko(Jap. name)? Now that is genius.

Side-Note: Will everyone stop riding Naruto's pen0r? I mean, the series is ok, but now every Anime and Manga n00b this side of the earth, thinks that by reading the manga in Shonen Jump or watching the downloaded versions mean that they know everything about Anime. God, if I hear one more obsessed Naruto fan speak, I'm going to explode.
Old 02-1-2005, 12:29 PM   #6
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Marine - http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...wtopic&t=23460

Yea, I think I knew of it. In fact, I heard about Naruto a little over a year ago now.

Chromer - Just because you don't like something doesn't mean that others aren't allowed to. I hated DBZ (YES, I did see most of the subbed and dubbed version of Z and GT), but am I going to rag on you for liking it? Fact is, Naruto is here to stay.

But this topic is about Bleach.

~Squeek
Old 02-1-2005, 05:03 PM   #7
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

I started watching Bleach and I am currrently on episode 5. Its pretty good...but I didnt like how you were just sort of thrown into the series...I mean, literally. I would have liked a little back story...but meh. It's still a good series as of yet.
jewpinthethird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2005, 07:34 PM   #8
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I believe somewhere before episode 10 starts going into the Kurosaki family history a bit. They explain quite a lot.

The whole "Soul Society" thing gives off little bits of information at a time for you.

They explain stuff, I guarantee that.

~Squeek
Old 02-3-2005, 12:12 AM   #9
SotN
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to SotN
Default Re: RE: Bleach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrESqueek
PS - Does anybody else hate the way Lunar is subbing this series? I don't care if you're trying to match speech patterns, it looks stupid. I've been getting Keep's subs and replacing Lunar's with those for my archive.
I have one or two beefs with Lunar, translating shinigami = death god is just plain lazy. Their timer needs to be shot, for breaking one sentence into two parts when one would do...

But they definitely do not do wrong in the way they portray the characters' speech patterns. Being able to accurately translate not only a characters words, but also the connotation of their words is what every fansub group strives for. Most groups dont do this, since most characters talk in a common way. More importantly, you need a kick-ass Translator or Quality Checker who has significant insight into both English and Japanese dialogue in order to pull it off without looking like an idiot. Whenever Lunar gets out of the stupid SpeedSubber mindset, they manage to produce some top-quality material. Like it or not, Rukia talks like an oddly educated person, and Ichigo is a street punk.

Onto more important matters: Byakuya rocks. Ishida rocks. Chad blows them all out of the water. He's a friggin cholo.
SotN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-3-2005, 04:19 PM   #10
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)

Default RE: Re: RE: Bleach

Chad is a bad ass. I hope he gets more play later on in the show. I also think the way the "synopsis of the next episode" is done is really clever.

Bleach it one of the better animes I've seen in awhile.
Old 02-3-2005, 07:57 PM   #11
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default RE: Re: RE: Bleach

Jewpin - You are spot-on about the next episode previews. My favorite one?

"Next Time............................................................................................ it's impossible for me."

~Squeek
Old 02-3-2005, 09:45 PM   #12
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)

Default Re: RE: Re: RE: Bleach

Quote:
Jewpin - You are spot-on about the next episode previews. My favorite one?

"Next Time............................................................................................ it's impossible for me."

~Squeek
<3 Chad.

I also got a kick out of the synopsis where they actually told you what was going to happen two episodes in advance. Well done. I just hope this doesnt turn into a series that lasts 50+ episodes.
Old 02-4-2005, 05:19 AM   #13
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Bleach

According to Kefit, we're going into 100+ easily.

The manga is already at chapter 166 or so which is kinda close to where Naruto was when they began animating it. Assuming 2 manga chapters per episode, we're already at 83.

~Squeek

Edit: Ack, episode 17 was lacking a whole lot of depth that the previous episodes had. Ah, well, much happens and I can only assume 18 will rock my socks off.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:41 AM   #14
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Bump for awesome and because I want some discussion in this forum...

Bleach 19 was rulage. It kinda reminds me of DBZ in a sense, but it's an awesome kind of reminder. Basically, these are the episodes where the main character undergoes special training (catch Bubbles! Hit Gary! woot 10x gravity zomg). I always loved watching "training" episodes.

I'm just saying this for the people that maybe lost interest in the show (somehow).

~Squeek
Old 02-16-2005, 05:36 PM   #15
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)

I am currently on episode 18, the previous two episodes were really good. I was only planning on watching one episode last night...but I had to continue...looking forward to the next two.

I thought the same thing as you did about the whole "training" episode...but at least it makes more sense than "oh, we better train for two years because captain future tells us too."

I hope they dont turn this into a "hey, let's make 500 episodes!" kind of show. I mean, I will most likely continue to watch the show...but I will be so grumpy.
Old 03-2-2005, 08:20 AM   #16
InsanMonkey1
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to InsanMonkey1

Bleach 21 is awesome I hate waiting for new episodes to be subbed...
InsanMonkey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-2-2005, 12:14 PM   #17
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I saw 21. It was sincerely awesome.

Can't wait to see how this progresses. Also can't wait for the other characters to display the fruits of their trainings.

~Squeek
Old 03-2-2005, 06:52 PM   #18
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)

Default Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Bleach

Quote:
I saw 21. It was sincerely awesome.

Can't wait to see how this progresses. Also can't wait for the other characters to display the fruits of their trainings.

~Squeek
Damn, 21 is out already? What have I been doing all this tim- oh yeah, GT4.
Old 03-3-2005, 11:31 PM   #19
xObserveRx
FFR Simfile Author
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to xObserveRx Send a message via MSN to xObserveRx

Apparently squeek liked DBZ....

Anyways, what's with the hating of "people talking to people"? I mean, how the hell else are you going to get to know the characters, and like them, or hate them?

I love action sequences as much as the next guy, but if I see two buffoons just duking it out on the screen for no apparent reason, I'm not digging it.

I like a series to have a storyline as flashy, if not more so, than its action sequences. If I'm not there in mind, and can't relate to how anyone's feeling, then i'm not caring what's going on in the action sequences.
Old 03-4-2005, 04:30 AM   #20
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Apparently you did too... (Avatar?)

I saw all of DBZ when I was 10 or so. It was the cool thing to do. I saw Sailor Moon before that and the first episode of Cardcaptors afterwards.

What? I didn't say I hated the people talking to each other. It's in the show just as often as any other show. Actually, the conversations between the characters are sometimes the best part of the show.

"PRESS THE RESET BUTTON ON YOUR LIFE!"

Classic.

They all have fights for meaningful reasons. The characters are easily relatable to yourself. Just watch it.

~Squeek