Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2005, 04:13 PM   #1
-Default-
FFR Player

Default Solo and Esemble

This is for all the musicians out there.

Every year, in Michigan, my school goes to a "competition" called Solo and Esemble. All you do is you prepare a solo on your instrument and play it before a judge. The judge then gives you a rating based on your performance.

The rating system is as follows: 1, being the best, through 5, being the worst. There is also a time limit. I believe you have to play at least two minutes.

This year I am doing a solo called Rondo Capriccio, a trumpet solo. It is written by Keith Snell. I am also doing a trio with three other trumpets in my band.

I was wondering if any other musicians in Southeast Michigan have gone to Solo and Esemble, or some other "competition" of the sort?
-Default- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 04:16 PM   #2
vashthestampede0987
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to vashthestampede0987
Default RE: Solo and Esemble

Heh I've never taken band because it blows. Tried it for a day and I thought I was just gonna shove a drum stick up my teachers cornhole because he was so gay. What ever, btw default what school do you go to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthlight
I hate myself.

Cheers,

Synthlight
xxpla tonic love: GIVE IT TO ME
xxpla tonic love: ****ing give it to me
vashthestampede0987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 04:19 PM   #3
Cenright
You thought I was a GUY?!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Location: Beaumont (A town with 25 times fewer people than this site)
Send a message via AIM to Cenright Send a message via MSN to Cenright Send a message via Yahoo to Cenright

Sorry, I'm in CA. But good luck. (I was always to afraid to do a solo.) I was never good enough at any one instrument. I made myself useful by being versitile, so I can play about 6 instruments, but none of them really good.
Cenright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 04:24 PM   #4
-Default-
FFR Player

Default Re: RE: Solo and Esemble

Quote:
Originally Posted by vashthestampede0987
Heh I've never taken band because it blows. Tried it for a day and I thought I was just gonna shove a drum stick up my teachers cornhole because he was so #$*. What ever, btw default what school do you go to?
My band teacher is really good. He's funny and he knows a lot about music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenright
Sorry, I'm in CA. But good luck. (I was always to afraid to do a solo.) I was never good enough at any one instrument. I made myself useful by being versitile, so I can play about 6 instruments, but none of them really good.
Six different instruments O.o? I'm worried about performing a solo also. I keep thinking I won't get an important note out or something. Either that or my music will fall of my stand.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:26 PM   #5
eyespewgreekfire
FFR Player

Im not from michigan, but I've been to some music competitions before (I do piano and composition.) Rondo Capriccio by Snell I am not familiar with. When I first read the title, I was thinking you were playing the Saint-Saens one for violin and I almost crapped myself. I would say the most important thing in a competition is not to take it too ambitiously. Slow tempo is good. I blew an almost perfect rendition of Beethoven's Pathetique sonata once by playing a technical section too fast. :P

eyespewgreekfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 04:28 PM   #6
Cenright
You thought I was a GUY?!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Location: Beaumont (A town with 25 times fewer people than this site)
Send a message via AIM to Cenright Send a message via MSN to Cenright Send a message via Yahoo to Cenright
Default RE: Re: RE: Solo and Esemble

6 instruments, but none of them good enough to do a solo.
Trumpet
F/Bb Horn
Clarinet
Ocarina
Baritone (Both marching and concert types)
Tuba
Cenright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 04:33 PM   #7
tnyhwk900
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to tnyhwk900

Trumpet and Clairnet make excellent solos, Cen.

I will be entering one myself this year on the tenor saxophone. Last year I got a 1, and I plan on doing the same this year. One thing though: You say you get ratings 1-5? That's strange, as it is done 1-3 here.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:33 PM   #8
-Default-
FFR Player

I found a MIDI of Rondo Capriccio, in case you want to listen to it. It's not extremely hard, but it's not extremely easy.

http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic...o=basic&Only=H

It's my second pick. The first one I choose(Ancient Story) was out of print.

EDIT: Tny, it might be 1-3. I think I heard my band director saying 1-5, but I was probably half asleep because it was my first period.

EDIT2: The MIDI isn't all of it. You have to pay to get all of it.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:38 PM   #9
Freak83
FFR Simfile Author
FFR Simfile Author

I've started playing the drums recently, I play none stop but am definatly not good enough to do a solo yet. I've only been doing the snare so far in fact.
Freak83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 05:43 PM   #10
ImEric12
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to ImEric12

I went to S&E in 7th grade, and got a 1, but I don't remember what I played.

Also: you live in SE Michigan? What school? I go to Warren Woods Tower (ehhhhh...)

ImEric12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 06:05 PM   #11
Kefit
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Kefit

I went to Solo Ensemble three out of the four years I was in high school. I played trumpet too, by the way. And taking a look at the piece you have linked to, I think I have actually played around with that a bit.

Anyway, two of those three years I played incredibly difficult pieces. They were the kind of pieces that I could only play well on my very best days. I forgot what song I preformed the first year I did this, but I did horribly at the competition. Embarressing, even.

The next year (which was my senior year) I, having not learned from my mistake the year before, prepared The Debutante, by Herbet L. Clarke. This piece was even harder than the one I played the year before, although it was much better suited to my strengths on the trumpet. I did moderately well, but still not as well as I hoped. I have a recording of Wynton Marsaslis playing this song - if anyone wants to hear it just contact me on aim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seinno
and also thank you everone for clearing it up for me I will try to start using my two hands iv tried quit a bit i put my left hand index and middle finger middle finger is on the up arrow index on on left arrow and right hand i use my index for the down button and middle for the right button does that seem weird?
Kefit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 06:09 PM   #12
-Default-
FFR Player

Quote:
I went to Solo Ensemble three out of the four years I was in high school. I played trumpet too, by the way. And taking a look at the piece you have linked to, I think I have actually played around with that a bit.
Heh, that's cool. This is my first time going(as a freshman), so I don't want to do anything incredibly(sp?) difficult.

@Eric+Vash: I go to a school in Redford.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:14 PM   #13
Kefit
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Kefit

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Default-
Heh, that's cool. This is my first time going(as a freshman), so I don't want to do anything incredibly(sp?) difficult.

@Eric+Vash: I go to a school in Redford.
That's the idea. Actually, that's something you should always do. Never try to prepare a piece that strains you to your absolute max, as there is far too great a chance that come performance day you just won't be up to pulling it off for whatever reason.

If I could go back and do it over again, instead of preparing the two incredibly challenging pieces my junior and senior years I would have prepared the Hayden and Hummel trumpt concertos, respectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seinno
and also thank you everone for clearing it up for me I will try to start using my two hands iv tried quit a bit i put my left hand index and middle finger middle finger is on the up arrow index on on left arrow and right hand i use my index for the down button and middle for the right button does that seem weird?
Kefit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 06:16 PM   #14
HansSky
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to HansSky

I wish we had competitions like that...we just compete to get into Honors Bands seperately. I will be auditioning for State next Saturday.

But yeah, we don't have those around here.
Have fun.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:20 PM   #15
vashthestampede0987
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to vashthestampede0987

Redford...I GOT TO NOVI!! lol just thought you like to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthlight
I hate myself.

Cheers,

Synthlight
xxpla tonic love: GIVE IT TO ME
xxpla tonic love: ****ing give it to me
vashthestampede0987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 09:13 PM   #16
QreepyBORIS
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to QreepyBORIS Send a message via MSN to QreepyBORIS
Default Re: Solo and Esemble

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Default-
This is for all the musicians out there.

Every year, in Michigan, my school goes to a "competition" called Solo and Esemble. All you do is you prepare a solo on your instrument and play it before a judge. The judge then gives you a rating based on your performance.

The rating system is as follows: 1, being the best, through 5, being the worst. There is also a time limit. I believe you have to play at least two minutes.

This year I am doing a solo called Rondo Capriccio, a trumpet solo. It is written by Keith Snell. I am also doing a trio with three other trumpets in my band.

I was wondering if any other musicians in Southeast Michigan have gone to Solo and Esemble, or some other "competition" of the sort?
I am doing 2 pieces for this, one a duet by Telleman. This duet has the exact same part for each of the musicians, but one starts a measure after the other. It sounds so awesome.

Also, I am doing a solo written by J.C (not J.S) Bach. Concerto in C minor, second movement. I tried to prepare the third movement, but I had like 5 weeks to do it, and I failed miserably.

KK.

Signature subject to change.

THE ZERRRRRG.
QreepyBORIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 09:31 PM   #17
fusi0n
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to fusi0n
Default RE: Re: Solo and Esemble

I've only done it in 6th grade (we had to) as an ensemble. I've always been too lazy to do it...maybe I will next year if I take private lessons again. (I'm certian I could get a division 1 rating :P)

Anyways good luck. I wouldn't know how nerve-racking it will be (I'm sure it is though.)
fusi0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 09:11 AM   #18
The_Q
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to The_Q Send a message via Yahoo to The_Q

I'm trying to find some Nelhybel. I heard Danza performed once and loved it.

I've playing in S&E since 6th grade, but we had a lower level back then. I've gotten sweepstakes (All 1's) 6-8 grade and then my ensemble's violin fudged the run last year. I'm trying again this year. New violin player, too.

I forgot. All my orchestras pull off Sweepstakes every year.

Q
The_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 09:41 AM   #19
Kamoa_Han_Senzui
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Kamoa_Han_Senzui Send a message via MSN to Kamoa_Han_Senzui Send a message via Yahoo to Kamoa_Han_Senzui

It's an option for my band class to go. I'm not going.

SN = SickCatBodySpray
Kamoa_Han_Senzui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 12:31 AM   #20
vince511
FFR Player

Over four years of high school, I performed...

4 clarinet solos (Mozart Mvt. 1, Weber Concerto No.2 Mvt. 1, Weber Concertino, Brahms Sonata No.2 Mvt.1,)
2 snare drum solos (And the Kitchen Sink, Remarkovich)
2 mallet solos (Light Cavalry, Flight of the Bumblebee)

I'm not going to bother listing the ensembles. About 4-5 a year, 6 my senior year. I played Bari Sax/Clarinet/various percussion instruments in those.

S&E was an unforgettable experience every year for me, mostly because we didn't have to pay for the ensembles we played if we did well on the fundraisers. It would have been 40-50 bucks a year for all the things I played, so getting it free was awesome. Proud to say I never got lower than a 1-, but our director also pushed us to practice our ensembles in preparation for concerts later in the year. Performing in smaller groups can really raise your musicianship immensely if you put the right kind of time into them.