Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2005, 06:03 PM   #1
deltro300111
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to deltro300111 Send a message via MSN to deltro300111 Send a message via Yahoo to deltro300111
Default Why do we (you) cuss?

Why not express yourself in a more civilized manner, I cuss, but this is the reason my parents give me to not cuss. In my eyes cuss comes from the word percuss, so it's more of a staccato stricking words.

A pad hit would not effect someone as much as a loud snare tap.

Comment- let's converse.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:20 PM   #2
Tsuteto
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tsuteto Send a message via MSN to Tsuteto
Default RE: Why do we (you) cuss?

Me... I have no problem with cussing at home or in a public crowd outside. It's when people are cussing in a job or in a business area for no apparent reason that I frown upon. If they had hurt themselves and that's why they did it, I wouldn't mind. But that's about it.

Reason for me cussing - I only say about Bloody Hell and Bastard really, but that's because they've grown on me. Bloody hell is just a common phrase from time to time, and bastard I mostly use with friends because they won't mind (unless they're strong religions).

And that's another thing I don't like. When people cuss to down the other person. To me, if a person can go through an argument without cussing once, that makes them all the more better than the person who had done so about twenty times in five minutes.
Tsuteto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 06:33 PM   #3
Kilgamayan
Super Scooter Happy
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Kilgamayan

No matter how uncivilized it is, it helps the person you're talking to know you mean business.
I watched clouds awobbly from the floor o' that kayak. Souls cross ages like clouds cross skies, an' tho' a cloud's shape nor hue nor size don't stay the same, it's still a cloud an' so is a soul. Who can say where the cloud's blowed from or who the soul'll be 'morrow? Only Sonmi the east an' the west an' the compass an' the atlas, yay, only the atlas o' clouds.
Kilgamayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 06:39 PM   #4
CypherToorima
Boss of all bosses
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CypherToorima

I agree with Kilga. No matter how much people say "Cussing doesn't do anything", it really does.

It's like "It's cold outside" compared to "It's f***ing cold outside." Said in the same tone, the second one means more. just like "Shut up" compared to "Stfu"
Old 01-11-2005, 06:55 PM   #5
Wayfaerer_
FFR Player

Cussing is useful sometimes, but I dont see why some people use it for no reason, in every other sentence.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:39 PM   #6
Tsuteto
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tsuteto Send a message via MSN to Tsuteto

I agree with Wayfaerer. I mean, like I said, don't mind cussing. In times it does mean things, but at times it shouldn't be used. However, if it is constantly used, it is a bad image upon a person. It's just how life is.
Tsuteto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 09:54 PM   #7
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

Kilga's right, cussing is really almost just an interjection to add emphasis to a statement, but I feel using it without such intentions is completely unnecessary and quite low-class.

I cuss because I started doing it (to be cool, I guess) at about eight, and it's become so commonplace in friendly conversation that I don't even think about it. I don't really like that I do, and I try to watch my tongue, but when I'm in the company of others who don't mind swearing, there's no incentive for me to keep an eye on my words.

That being said, I've had much practice at holding back, and I always feel better about myself when I'm not swearing. Like Tsuteto said, in an argument, the more civil man often comes out on top, especially because you can usually tell when someone "means business" even if they don't cuss you out.

One more thing: To me, cussing is a great frustration-reliever. If something makes me want to yell, "THAT'S FUCKING BULLSHIT" works a whole lot better than "Darn it," or something equally awkward (just listen to someone who never cusses get mad; it really does sound awkward).

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:00 PM   #8
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

I have never cursed and never will.

Sure, it would be nice to add some anger to everything I say, or some depth, but I really want to sound civilized rather than powerful.

I'm not one of those people that will yell at you for cursing, though. I know everybody else wants to add it to things for emphasis and I don't mind.

The only thing I'm annoyed about is when people say "such-and-such is teh S___!" which leaves me wondering, "Do they like it or hate it?"

~Squeek
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:03 PM   #9
The_Q
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to The_Q Send a message via Yahoo to The_Q

Cuss comes from curse. Curse came from the oaths sworn (the other words, oath and swear word, for "cuss") by men to each other that threaten their families or themselves. "I swear on my grave that your children will always have my wrath laying just ahead of them." Eventually these oaths became shortened to one word or so ("I damn you/it to hell!" to "dammit!" or just "damn!"). Even the one word oaths, such as damn, have been shortened from their original forms. At one point, damn was "comdemn." Goes to show you how English has evolved, doesn't it?

Why do we use oaths? To show extreme emotion. No, swearing is not bad at all. In fact, it's wonderful when used in proper amounts. These days one could go around the streets swearing their tongues off and it wouldn't have an effect at all. Back just about a century ago, saying damn in public was grounds for arrest (I'm not sure, don't get on me for it). Cursing is just another form of adjective use.

Why is cursing condoned by so many people? The original denotation followed by the connotation caused swearing to lose it's stature as a regular adjective and became condemnable (damnable, whatever). Just think about it. When you say "sh*t!" do you mean the imperative statement meaning "You, excrete fecal waste!" or do you mean "that's not good!" The original meaning (which disgusts our society) influences the modern meaning.

Why do I swear? The words make damn good modifiers.

Q
The_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 03:15 PM   #10
slimshdy425
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to slimshdy425

Cursing is fine as long as it's not used excessively and is used in the right environment. It's fine if you're just around friends and say a curse here or there, but if you were, say, at a job interview, cursing wouldn't be a good idea...

Oh and Guido, nice Maddox avator =).
Old 01-12-2005, 04:48 PM   #11
Anticrombie0909
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Anticrombie0909

I don't even think of them as 'cusses' or 'curse words'. They're just another part of my vocabulary. Granted, I do recognize that they're stronger than certain words- 'vagina' isn't a curse yet you wouldn't yell that out during a job interview either.
Anticrombie0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 05:40 PM   #12
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

I think I swear just because my parents don't let me swear. Damn my parents! Damn them to FUCKING HELL!
Old 01-12-2005, 06:43 PM   #13
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Heh, I think I DON'T swear just because my parents don't let me swear.

DARN THEM ALL ZOMGZ.

~Squeek
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 09:31 PM   #14
Tasuke
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tasuke Send a message via MSN to Tasuke

I swear when I'm just with some friends that don't mind cussing.
but i try not to use f*ck and sh*t all that often. Basically i believe
that most kids think that if it isn't cesored on TV they can say it in class
But I have almost never cussed in front of my parents (except my dad when
a "bitch" or a "bastard" just can't be substituted). But I actually try to moniter
my cuss word usage around people.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:34 PM   #15
deltro300111
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to deltro300111 Send a message via MSN to deltro300111 Send a message via Yahoo to deltro300111

Cussing only works well when used in sentences as subtly as possible

Good: Dude, you're fucking retarded get the fuck off.

Bad: WHAT THE FUCK YOU ARE A FUCKING RETARDED DUMBFUCK!
Old 01-12-2005, 09:54 PM   #16
User6773

Cursing is far, far stronger the less often you use it.

You never hear me use the F-word. If you do, you know I mean business. I like it that way. : )
Old 01-12-2005, 10:36 PM   #17
The_Q
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to The_Q Send a message via Yahoo to The_Q

Quote:
I think I swear just because my parents don't let me swear.
My parents are great. They let me swear...but they don't like it. My mom doesn't, at least.

Dad always was kind of weird. I was talking to him a while back and the topic came to legalizing weed. I told him my stance (why the hell not?) and he nodded slowly before telling me his secret.

"Don't tell your mother this, but the only reason I don't want you doing drugs is because it's illegal. Otherwise, I'd be happier letting you smoke you lungs out."

A momentary silence lingered throught the car. Lumpy rustled in the back some. Life went on.

Needless to say, my dad is awesome.

Q
The_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 12:32 AM   #18
sleeplessdragn
~Bang that beat Harder~
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

In my opinion, the effects of cussing and cuss words are all relative to whoever is the reciver of the words. My friends understand that i normally don't cuss, and often times i do to create a humorous tone. For example, if someone began babbling and suddenly paused, and if everyone was standing gaping at the babbler, i would ask, with a raised eyebrow, "what the ****?". It can't be argued that curse words don't add emphasis, just that they are only emphasizing the tone of the statement they are contained in.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:18 PM   #19
ddristhecoolest
FFR Player

Send a message via Yahoo to ddristhecoolest
Default Re: RE: Why do we (you) cuss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgamayan
No matter how uncivilized it is, it helps the person you're talking to know you mean business.
Put in a different way, cussing puts stronger emphasis on what your saying. Saying OH NO!!!! Is not going to have the same effect as OH SHIT!!! However, I don't approve of using a cuss word in every sentence just to make you feel superior.

Am I the only one that still wants the ffr simfiles back?
KKK is to black people as
FFR is to Mozilla Firefox users
ddristhecoolest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 08:32 PM   #20
VashtheGunman7
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to VashtheGunman7
Default Re: RE: Why do we (you) cuss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddristhecoolest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgamayan
Put in a different way, cussing puts stronger emphasis on what your saying. Saying OH NO!!!! Is not going to have the same effect as OH (#$%!!! However, I don't approve of using a cuss word in every sentence just to make you feel superior.
Kilgamayan is right. But I really cant see someone cussing in every sentence.

VashtheGunman7 is offline   Reply With Quote