Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2004, 10:22 AM   #1
flypie743
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to flypie743
Default Donkey Konga Review

I just got Donkey Konga-Really fun game.

A review:

Summary: In this game you have a set of bongo drums and you either hit the left or right bongo. Sometimes you hit them both together and sometimes you clap. There are "rolls" which is when you repeatedly tap one or both bongo-kinof like a freeze arrow. There are also clap rolls where you repeatedly keep clapping.

Difficulty Levels:
Monkey Mode-The easiest mode-like light in DDR/SM-it is pretty easy and good to get you started. There are less notes than the other levels and easier patterns.

Chimp Mode-This is like standard in DDR/SM. It's fun and just the right level for you to move up to. This is what I am currently on even though I just started today. You get off of Monkey pretty easily. It is challanging but not too hard.

Gorrilla Mode-I haven't played this yet but it is the hardest level. I will probably move up to it sometime soon.

Game Modes:
Street Performance-This is single player. It is basically where you earn coins to purchase more songs, mini-games, sound sets, etc.

Battle-This is two player. You each drum the same amount of notes but sometimes different notes. Like one player will hit the left bongo and the other will hit the right bongo.

Challange-This is where you play many songs in a row and see how many you can clear. You can play either solo or two players in this mode. Like Non-stop mode in SM.

Jam Session-This is where 1-4 players work together to complete songs.

Ape Arcade-Once you earn enough coins in Street Performance you can buy mini-games and play them in this mode.

DK Town-This is where you can buy New songs, Sound sets, and Mini-games. You can also view high scores and adjust settings.

Song List:
-Diddy's Ditties
-Bingo
-Campfire Medly
-Pokemon Theme (hellz ya boy)
-Kirby: Right Back At Ya! (<3 kirby lols)
-We Will Rock You
-Like Wow
-Wild Thing
-I Think I Love You
-Louie Louie
-The Loco-Motion
-Shining Star
-All The Small Things
-Rock This Town
-You Can't Hurry Love
-Right Here, Right Now
-Dancing In The Street
-Rock Lobster
-Stupid Cupid
-The Impression That I Get
-What I Like About You
-Whip It (liek teh tune for da swiffer commercials, no?)
-Busy Child
-Para Los Rumberos
-Sing, Sing, Sing (With A Swing)
-Oye ComoVa
-On The Road Again
-Hungarian Dance No. 5 in G Minor
-Turkish March
-DK Rap (ya)
-The Legend of Zelda Theme
-Mario Bros. Theme
-Donkey Konga Theme

Shop Items:
Jungle Jams (Songs):
You can only buy gorilla level music. It is all of the same songs as listed above. Just harder steps to them.

Bongos A-Go-Go (Sound Sets):
-Electric Drum Set
-Konga Crew Set
-Toy Set
-Quiz Set
-Mario Set
-Dogs Set
-Latin Percussion Set
-Zelda Set
-Big Band Set
-Laser Space Set
-Car Set
-Country Set
-Barnyard Set
-Classical Orchestra Set
-Cold Set
-Whip It Set
-Jungle Set
-Kirby Set

Monkey Shines (Mini-Games):
-Bash K. Rool
-Banana Juggle
-100m Vine Climb

My Thoughts on the game, songs, etc:
Game overall: I would give it 4 1/2 stars. It is a lot of fun to play by yourself and with friends. The drums make it unique and fun.

Songs: Pretty decent songlist. I like Turkish March, Whip It, Mario Theme, Zelda Theme, and DK Rap the best so far. They are all pretty good songs. There are a few songs that are rather dumb, but hey overall the song list is good.

Mini-Games: I haven't bought any yet, but they all sound fun and I am pretty sure they will be good.

Sound Sets: I bought the Kirby and the Jungle set so far. They both kind of suck =/ (i no how can kirby sux? :<). I think the Electric Drum Set will be the best one but that takes like 25,000 coins-a lot of saving up.

Difficulties: Just like light, standard, and heavy. Not much to stay here.

Game Modes: I have played everything except for Arcade (No mini-games yet). They are all fun and enjoyable. I think I like Battle and Street Performance better than the Jungle Jam. Jungle Jam should be more fun with four players, but I only can play with my brother right now.

Side Notes: The one thing that I kind of like and dislike about this game is the clapping. It is kind of dumb, but it does add a twist and a bit of a harder side to the game. I have gotten up to chimp so far. You CAN play this on the controller as well as the Bongo Drum set that comes with the game when you buy it for no extra cost.

I would suggest you all go out and get this game right now :>

Questions/Comments?

IF YOU ARE THE BOMB YOU WILL CLICK THIS and if you dont, you suck.
flypie743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 10:36 AM   #2
Musical_Master
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Musical_Master
Default RE: Donkey Konga Review

The mini-games aren't very good. The two I have unlocked are Bash K. Rool, and 100m Vine Climb. They have very bad graphics and the gameplay could be better(ex: levels where it gets harder).

In Bash K. Rool, its like whack-a-mole where you control which hole to hit witht he bongos and clap. It gets really boring because there is no difficulty.

100m Vine Climb is where you climb up vines trying to collect fruit. The controls are messed up considering you alternate hitting the bongos to go up and you use the right bongo to go right and laft to go left. This has to be my least favorite mini game.

There are also three game modes that are useless. Its like a memorization mode. All that appears are barrels and its either you guess, or you memorize the notes from Street Performance. I forgot what these modes are called.

Anyway good review. Although I would give it a lower score.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:02 AM   #3
flypie743
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to flypie743

Yeah, I unlocked Bash K. Rool earlier. It's not very good. I played it once and that's it.

Maybe 4 stars would have been a better score now that I think about it.

Thanks for the comments.

IF YOU ARE THE BOMB YOU WILL CLICK THIS and if you dont, you suck.
flypie743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-1-2004, 01:51 PM   #4
revolution_mastr
FFR Player

I need to try that donky konga game. It looks pretty good to me, and it just seems to be an interesting game to try.
revolution_mastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-1-2004, 09:12 PM   #5
Ignite
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Ignite

Yay, I'm getting this game for X-mas. Is it worth it?

P.S : 500th post.
Old 12-2-2004, 08:36 AM   #6
User6773

I want this game. Shame I don't have a Gamecube.

I played a demo of it, though, and decided I was going to play the hardest song to begin with. I cleared Busy Child on Chimp mode on my first try and drew a small crowd.

Bemani is fun.
Old 12-2-2004, 09:45 AM   #7
tsutter
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to tsutter

It's too easy. :\ Pretty fun though, if it were harder.
[02:02:16] <Hayden> i carry the plastic i make it spastic when i put it in ya moms ass boy her **** is elastic when im finished in knee that slut in the jaw snap her back in to pieces i lay down the law cuz i gots no respect fo that ***** elixers **** seeing as he got double dick ****ed on dust 2 by an ingram at long A in pit
tsutter is offline   Reply With Quote