Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
Vanilla Mnm
cavs
FFR Veteran

Default March Madness

For those that are into it, what are your upsets the first round and who do you have winning it all?

It's not really an upset, but I have Iowa State over UConn the first round so far. Michigan St winning it all. There are a lot of games I'm really 50/50.

My favorite team is Xavier, seed 10 vs Notre Dame first round.
Vanilla Mnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
MagicCarpetRide
Skware One
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to MagicCarpetRide
Default Re: March Madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Mnm View Post
Iowa State over UConn
I would put money against that. I'm just happy my school made it into the play in game haha
MagicCarpetRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #3
j-rodd123
End of the road
FFR Veteran

UDM is in lol, i go watch some of their games every year but kansas is gonna cruuuuuush them

Ive always been a Duke fan, but they've had a baaad season this year, and Kentucky is sick. Kentucky is pretty dominating this year I'ma go with them, and they are no.1 seed overall which makes sense. Syracuse has a good team too, they gonna put in some work too. Out of the number 1's i'm prolly gonna go with unc being knocked off first, but Henson will be back so maybe they'll be back to their full potential but he'll probably still have wrist problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by FictionJunction View Post
wow
j-rodd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
Vanilla Mnm
cavs
FFR Veteran

I spent 3 hours researching every team, their best players, teams weaknesses/advantages, matchups, history in the tournament, coaches and everything and this is the bracket I came up with. What do you guys think?

Old 03-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
j-rodd123
End of the road
FFR Veteran

i realllllllllllllllly don't like that withita st. pick at all, syracuse vanderbilt would be much closer than that but id still give it to syracuse. not a terrible bracket just some interesting picks that i personally wouldn't make lol

Quote:
wow
Old 03-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
Vanilla Mnm
cavs
FFR Veteran

See, I'm kind of on the edge about Wichita St almost every round, but for some reason advanced them every time. I feel like they know how VCU was last year, and they are a better team than VCU and will play that game like it's a championship game cause they know they can't sleep on them. Plus, VCU made their run off of 3 pointers last year, I highly doubt that's going to happen again.

Indiana has been struggling as of lately, but Wichita State has a weaker schedule/conference than Indiana. I simply think it's going to be an upset.

Kentucky is very talented & probably the best team in the country, but they are also young. Kentucky has had some very talented teams in the past, but they tend to get upset, the SEC is a good conference, but I don't think they've played many teams this year as good as Wichita St is. Wichita St keeps games close, they only lost once by double digits this season and that was the 3rd game of the season. They've lost in overtime twice, and another game by 1 point. I think Kentucky will fall due to it's youth.

Baylor I think is very good, but has also been struggling as of late, I really don't think they have that 1 player who's a dominant player. I see Wichita St upsetting them too.

The thing is, every year, I try to predict that one 'cinderella' cause I know the Final Four is always unpredictable, so I try & choose a Final Four that nobody else has. Every year you look at the final bracket and say if someone chose that, they obviously knew nothing about basketball.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
reptile3141
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Upsets for first round:
-Connecticut beats Iowa St.
-VCU beats Wichita St. (biggest upset for me)
-Virginia beats Florida
-Alabama beats Creighton
-N.C. State beats San Diego State
-Purdue beats St. Mary's

Those are my upsets for just the first round. I'm still skeptical about the Gonzaga vs. West Virginia game. I currently have Gonzaga winning it, but I may change it. Not sure yet.

Upsets for second round:
-Murray St. beats Marquette

Upsets in Sweet 16:
-Baylor beats Duke
-Florida St. beats Ohio St.

Upsets in Elite 8:
-Florida St. beats Syracuse
-Kansas beats N.C.

Upsets in Final Four:
-None

Upset in Championship game:
-None

P.S. I have Kentucky winning the whole thing. With only two losses this season, I don't really see them getting knocked out. Guess we'll find out. =)

PP.SS. Might as well just post my bracket or wtv.

Edit: Have Wisconsin beating Syracuse, now. Losing Melo is huge.

Last edited by reptile3141; 03-13-2012 at 03:35 PM..
reptile3141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
lumphoboextreme
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to lumphoboextreme Send a message via Yahoo to lumphoboextreme Send a message via Skype™ to lumphoboextreme

lol well i do a serious bracket pool every year, not to be mean but by the 3rd round youre gonna have a lot of red lines through your bracket. xD
Old 03-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #9
-Eidolon-
FFR Player

Upsets I have for the first round:
VCU over Wichita State. (I don't have a real reason on this one. I haven't been able to watch either team play much, just a hunch.)

Colorado over UNLV. Colorado got hot at the right time, and UNLV hasn't been that impressive this year. Momentum will carry Colorado.

NC State over SDSU. NC State has had those moments where they have looked really strong. I'm betting on that over a SDSU that is mediocre at best.

Purdue over St. Mary's. Hummel is finally healthy in the tourney for the first time in a couple years. I don't expect him to let his team fall early.

My big upset for the first round though,
Belmont over Georgetown. Georgetown has been flat-out sloppy lately. Belmont doesn't match up well, but Belmont has had moments where they have looked really strong. G'town is a younger team. Look out on this one. (I always take one big risk, this is it)

I have UNC winning it at all, Vandy is gonna beat Syracuse, Florida State will make the Final Four, and Michigan State won't get past Missouri.

I'll post my bracket later, too lazy to get it right now.
-Eidolon- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #10
Vanilla Mnm
cavs
FFR Veteran

Here's my final bracket & yes I will most likely have a lot of reds by the 3rd round. I just hate picking what everyone else is picking. :P and I always think wayyyy too much about it.
My upsets;
New Mexico State over Indiana - NMST is a high scoring team, Indiana lost their guard in the Big Ten tournament and hasn't been that impressive over the past couple weeks.

Xavier over Notre Dame - Xavier is a good team, they underachieved while Notre Dame overachieved. Notre Dame is a low scoring team too, it seems. Xavier has good tournament history, a great tournament coach, they have two very good guards, a good freshman forward who's probably their third best player behind their two guards & they have a center who's huge. /xavier fan favoritism (I even have Xavier beating Duke the next round, I think Duke is highly overrated, they don't play any D and they live & die by the 3)

Long Beach State over New Mexico - LBST is very good, they have two stars, one who scored 33 points in their conference tournament title game.

BYU/Iona over Marquette - I don't even know, Iona leads the nation in PPG, APG & 2nd in FG%. BYU plays great D, but I don't expect BYU to get past Iona. Pretty sure it'll be Iona vs Marquette. Plus Iona has a lot to prove since people think other teams should have got in over them.

Ohio over Michigan - Ohio has a very quick defense, and Ohio is ranked 13th in the nation in 3 point defense. Michigan is pretty overrated and has a few bad losses with about 1 good win (Over Michigan St)

NC State over SDSU - NC State is better than what people think, they are hot too, and as Eidolon said, SDSU is probably mediocre at best.

Purdue over St Mary's - Robbie Hummel

St Bonaventure over Florida State - This game could really be completely wrong, but being an Atlantic 10 fan, I've seen St Bonaventure play and I really wasn't surprised they won the A10. They have the A10 player of the year in Andrew Nicholson. FSU has beaten UNC & Duke twice. So who were those other 10 losses to? :P Also, let me add that I wouldn't be surprised if FSU went to the final four.

Last edited by Vanilla Mnm; 03-12-2012 at 07:29 PM..
Old 03-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #11
-Eidolon-
FFR Player

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...igible-tourney

If you're too lazy to click the link, Syracuse's center Fab Melo has been ruled ineligible for the NCAA tourney.

In case anyone still had Syracuse going far, go look up how they played without Melo. This is huge.
-Eidolon- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #12
reptile3141
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Eidolon- View Post

If you're too lazy to click the link, Syracuse's center Fab Melo has been ruled ineligible for the NCAA tourney.

In case anyone still had Syracuse going far, go look up how they played without Melo. This is huge.

This is srs bsnss. Might have to go and change something.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #13
lumphoboextreme
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to lumphoboextreme Send a message via Yahoo to lumphoboextreme Send a message via Skype™ to lumphoboextreme

I have them losing in the elite 8, still have them losing in the elite 8.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:53 PM   #14
reptile3141
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumphoboextreme View Post
I have them losing in the elite 8, still have them losing in the elite 8.
I had them losing in the elite 8 originally, as well. After that loss though, I think Wisconsin (provided they beat Vanderbilt like I've predicted) has a good shot of beating them.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:56 PM   #15
lumphoboextreme
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Wisconsin has too much trouble scoring points. I could see them jumping out to a lead then blowing it in the second half like they did against Michigan St.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #16
reptile3141
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumphoboextreme View Post
Wisconsin has too much trouble scoring points. I could see them jumping out to a lead then blowing it in the second half like they did against Michigan St.
That's why I had them losing to Syracuse in the first place. However, now that Melo is gone, I am convinced that they have a shot at winning. Risky gamble, I know, but I think they have a chance.

P.S. Not to mention, their field goal defense is brutal (think they are second behind Kentucky). Soooo I am very interested to see this game provided it happens. XD

Last edited by reptile3141; 03-13-2012 at 04:00 PM..
Old 03-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #17
lumphoboextreme
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Meh, I'm tempted to post my bracket but at the same time I don't want anyone from my money league finding my post and copying some of my picks. I'll probably post it thursday right before games start.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #18
j-rodd123
End of the road
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Eidolon- View Post

Was coming to post this, hopefully the other guys will step it up as they are capable of but melo was a key center and component of the team.

Quote:
wow
Old 03-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #19
Vanilla Mnm
cavs
FFR Veteran

I have them losing to Vanderbilt anyway. I feel so bad about having Vanderbilt in the Final Four cause they are such a bracket buster every year. Terrible tournament team, but I'm just going for the hot out of the SEC and making a run. Unlikely, but whatever.

Maybe we could all start a group on espn or something?

And Wisconsin could get beat very 1st round against Montana. Montana is very hot right now and has some good scorers. I think I read that they have 5 guys averaging 9.3ppg or higher.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #20
reptile3141
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Mnm View Post
And Wisconsin could get beat very 1st round against Montana. Montana is very hot right now and has some good scorers. I think I read that they have 5 guys averaging 9.3ppg or higher.
True. However, I don't really think that Montana has had as many tough match ups as Wisconsin has. That, plus I personally don't think the BSC is near as difficult of a conference as the Big Ten. I think Wisconsin is more prepared than Montana.