Old 12-1-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
ScarletSky
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran
 
ScarletSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Keizer, OR; USA
Age: 28
Posts: 1,811
Exclamation Low Division Tournament

So let me get right to the point. I've been thinking on running a tournament for the past couple months, and now with the Official generating a lot of new faces visiting the site, I think this is the perfect opportunity to run a tournament for all those players that would have wanted to sign up but couldn't due to skill.

Ran elimination style with four divisions (D1: 2-3s, D2: 3-4s, D3: 4-5s, D4: 5-6s), with a decent starting pot (~200k credits). It'd be just another normal tournament, hosted for the lower side of the skill spectrum. I just need to know if it's worth setting up; how much attention and hype will this get.
Please send me a message or post in here if you would be interested in signing up, know anyone that would like to try it out, or have any questions.

Keep in mind, this tournament is not for higher skill leveled players. If can AAA 7s and 8s, this is not you're tournament. So instead of a skill requirement, there's a skill cap.
This is for people just starting out on FFR and want to show their skill, but just have no where to feel like they can compete or show off.

Prize pot stands at at least 250,000 credits, not including all donations.

Sign ups are OPEN from now until December 24th. If you want to sign up, read this thread:
http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...d.php?t=121416
__________________


Last edited by ScarletSky; 12-3-2011 at 09:36 PM..
ScarletSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-1-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran
 
rushyrulz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: 74 billion club, NE
Age: 29
Posts: 12,590
Default Re: Low Division Tournament

I don't think you would get many sign-ups.
__________________

rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-1-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
ScarletSky
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran
 
ScarletSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Keizer, OR; USA
Age: 28
Posts: 1,811
Default Re: Low Division Tournament

I don't really need to know who isn't interested (or able) to sign up for it, but thanks anyway.

Besides, that's why I did this before making it. If I don't get any, or very little, interest in it, then I'll just run the other tournament I have planned.
But I thought this might be a good way to get some more players active on the site as well.
__________________

ScarletSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-1-2011, 01:12 PM   #4
Netjet!
Sic itur ad astra
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran
 
Netjet!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Age: 28
Posts: 4,696
Send a message via AIM to Netjet! Send a message via Skype™ to Netjet!
Default Re: Low Division Tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletSky View Post
I don't really need to know who isn't interested (or able) to sign up for it, but thanks anyway.
I think what he meant was more along the lines of quite a few people in the lower tiers of scoring/difficulty would be fewer and more far between than what we're used to seeing in tournaments, so signups may not be as high as some would like (or you).

I totally agree with what you're doing though, and I hope it does work well. We need to get more people interested in the community, and this is an awesome way to help.
__________________
RIP Steve Van Ness <3
Netjet! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-1-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
Ksl33zy24
The New York Yankees
FFR Veteran
 
Ksl33zy24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cicero, NY
Age: 38
Posts: 1,047
Default Re: Low Division Tournament

well, i would for D4 maybe id have a chance at actually AAAing something?
__________________
it was urgent because i wanted it fixed fast.
Ksl33zy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-1-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
Emo_Saur_
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran
 
Emo_Saur_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kansas City, Missouri.
Age: 29
Posts: 2,821
Send a message via Skype™ to Emo_Saur_
Default Re: Low Division Tournament

Y'know I was trying to think of something negative to say, but I can't.

(D1: 2-4s, D2: 3-5s, D3: 4-7s, D4: 5-9s) You want to give them a little challenge towards the end of the tournament and make them whore a bit. Also, you might want to get together with an admin/mod to get some ip checks down so you don't have people using alts.

Check out the Amateur scores thread, I'm sure you might be able to get a little feedback from there.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Emo_Saur_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-1-2011, 01:20 PM   #7
ScarletSky
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran
 
ScarletSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Keizer, OR; USA
Age: 28
Posts: 1,811
Default Re: Low Division Tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netjet! View Post
I think what he meant was more along the lines of quite a few people in the lower tiers of scoring/difficulty would be fewer and more far between than what we're used to seeing in tournaments, so signups may not be as high as some would like (or you).

I totally agree with what you're doing though, and I hope it does work well. We need to get more people interested in the community, and this is an awesome way to help.
Oh I see. I completely understand that. I know I wouldn't get anywhere near the DF Custom tourney's 100 players signed up. I'm hoping for ~25, but we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksl33zy24 View Post
well, i would for D4 maybe id have a chance at actually AAAing something?
Worth a shot, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emo_Saur_ View Post
Y'know I was trying to think of something negative to say, but I can't.

(D1: 2-4s, D2: 3-5s, D3: 4-7s, D4: 5-9s) You want to give them a little challenge towards the end of the tournament and make them whore a bit. Also, you might want to get together with an admin/mod to get some ip checks down so you don't have people using alts.

Check out the Amateur scores thread, I'm sure you might be able to get a little feedback from there.
Yea, you're right. I was just throwing some numbers out there for now just to give an idea of where they would be placed. I probably wouldn't go higher than say 7s or 8s in D4 though, just because that's borderline D1 for most other tournaments.
As for the IP checks, I honestly hadn't even thought that mods would even go that far for a simple user-ran tournament. xP But I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask (worse they say is no).
__________________

ScarletSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-1-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran
 
rushyrulz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: 74 billion club, NE
Age: 29
Posts: 12,590
Default Re: Low Division Tournament

There are very very very few legitimate D1 players that are only capable of doing 2-4s on this site. Basically what I'm saying.
__________________

rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-1-2011, 01:23 PM   #9
Emo_Saur_
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran
 
Emo_Saur_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kansas City, Missouri.
Age: 29
Posts: 2,821
Send a message via Skype™ to Emo_Saur_
Default Re: Low Division Tournament

exactly. Also, it's your tournament, so if you place them then you kinda get suspicious you can ask them so they don't have to do every single person.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Emo_Saur_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-1-2011, 01:23 PM   #10
iironiic
D6 FFR Legacy Player
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran
 
iironiic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 30
Posts: 4,211
Default Re: Low Division Tournament

I think many people, especially newcomers, tends to feel a little discouraged when joining any tournament. They possibly felt so intimidated to see the scores other people have been posting or feel less confident about themselves just because of the lack of acknowledgement. This is a good opportunity to change that and I support this. You would need to offer very good prizes to lure some of these people to consider joining the tournament. This also makes me wish I am less-skilled. xD
iironiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-1-2011, 01:24 PM   #11
awein999
(ಠ⌣ಠ)
FFR Veteran
 
awein999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,599
Send a message via Skype™ to awein999
Default Re: Low Division Tournament

Here is my unhelpful contribution to this thread:
Sure I'll participate I'm noob.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staiain View Post
i am super purple hippo
awein999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-1-2011, 01:25 PM   #12
Emo_Saur_
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran
 
Emo_Saur_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kansas City, Missouri.
Age: 29
Posts: 2,821
Send a message via Skype™ to Emo_Saur_
Default Re: Low Division Tournament

I'll donate 10k just for the cause.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Emo_Saur_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-1-2011, 01:25 PM   #13
ScarletSky
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran
 
ScarletSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Keizer, OR; USA
Age: 28
Posts: 1,811
Default Re: Low Division Tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by iironiic View Post
I think many people, especially newcomers, tends to feel a little discouraged when joining any tournament. They possibly felt so intimidated to see the scores other people have been posting or feel less confident about themselves just because of the lack of acknowledgement. This is a good opportunity to change that and I support this. You would need to offer very good prizes to lure some of these people to consider joining the tournament. This also makes me wish I am less-skilled. xD
I feel the same way. Prime example: look at the brag board. And this is exactly why I wanted to run this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awein999 View Post
Here is my unhelpful contribution to this thread:
Sure I'll participate I'm noob.
Alright Awein, I think I'll place you.. D2, song is Power... go get 'em tiger.
__________________

ScarletSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-1-2011, 01:29 PM   #14
Emo_Saur_
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran
 
Emo_Saur_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kansas City, Missouri.
Age: 29
Posts: 2,821
Send a message via Skype™ to Emo_Saur_
Default Re: Low Division Tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletSky View Post


Alright Awein, I think I'll place you.. D2, song is Power(with your nose)... go get 'em tiger.
Fix'd
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Emo_Saur_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-1-2011, 01:30 PM   #15
Zekramcross
The Break Ends
FFR Veteran
 
Zekramcross's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: White Desert
Age: 28
Posts: 1,786
Send a message via Skype™ to Zekramcross
Default Re: Low Division Tournament

If your were to do this, then wouldn't there be a skill cap?

Maybe add another division? Like D5 would be 6-10. I would join if that were the case.
__________________

Zekramcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-1-2011, 01:33 PM   #16
ScarletSky
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran
 
ScarletSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Keizer, OR; USA
Age: 28
Posts: 1,811
Default Re: Low Division Tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekramcross View Post
If your were to do this, then wouldn't there be a skill cap?

Maybe add another division? Like D5 would be 6-10. I would join if that were the case.
see
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletSky View Post
I probably wouldn't go higher than say 7s or 8s in D4 though, just because that's borderline D1 for most other tournaments.
I'm trying to avoid getting many of the same people that have (or can) compete in tournaments now, otherwise the idea behind this whole thing would be moot.
__________________

ScarletSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-1-2011, 01:35 PM   #17
iironiic
D6 FFR Legacy Player
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran
 
iironiic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 30
Posts: 4,211
Default Re: Low Division Tournament

Another good place to recruit people to join this tournament is in MP at its most active time. There are generally a lot of unseen faces there.
iironiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-1-2011, 01:37 PM   #18
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran
 
bmah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Age: 34
Posts: 8,426
Default Re: Low Division Tournament

This is a thoughtful idea with good intentions, but a lot of players are too afraid to even post, nevermind join any sort of tournament or even post a single score for that matter.

I'd like to see where this goes though.

Maybe post comments on the walls of unknown people and ask? lol
(I'm serious though)
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-1-2011, 01:37 PM   #19
ScarletSky
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran
 
ScarletSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Keizer, OR; USA
Age: 28
Posts: 1,811
Default Re: Low Division Tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by iironiic View Post
Another good place to recruit people to join this tournament is in MP at its most active time. There are generally a lot of unseen faces there.
I talked around there a bit, most of players all feel the same way that I thought. They all pretty don't visit the site because they feel their opinions and scores are useless. It's intimidation. With the Official being all over the front page news and in game news, I thought this might be a good time to try and grab many of players who tried to get in, but didn't make the cut.
__________________

ScarletSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-1-2011, 02:13 PM   #20
Norista
FFR Player
 
Norista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Keizer, OR
Age: 49
Posts: 43
Default Re: Low Division Tournament

As a low level player, I'd totally be interested. Heck I'd even chuck in 10,000 credits
__________________
"A diamond is merely a lump of coal that did well under preassure."
Norista is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright FlashFlashRevolution