Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2004, 08:23 PM   #1
RIAA
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to RIAA
Default The state of grammar on the internet.

Almost everyday that I'm in the FFR chat room I constantly see more and more of improper grammar. I see things like, "lol," everywhere around the internet. I hate the constant use of internet short hand, like, "oic." It's getting worse each and everyday, and I absolutely abhor it. Why is it that someone is too lazy to even type out, "Hah, that's funny," but instead, they resort to, "Rofl," "Lmao," or other such shortened phrases. I myself am a horribly lazy person, but I have gotten myself used to typing things out correctly, and I know it isn't very hard at all to do.

If there is someone here who thinks that internet shorthand is not a growing problem, then I would like you to explain why you think it is not a problem, and give me two examples, and this should be no less then one page, double spaced, twelve point font, and should use correct grammar.
Old 05-29-2004, 09:52 PM   #2
Verruckter
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Verruckter Send a message via MSN to Verruckter

Ok. There is something you don't get. Those "lol" come from computer games in wich you never have the time to type. They spread all over the internet. Everybody uses them and you'll never be able to stop it. The language will just deteriorate.

Anyways, with you "no less then a page" and blah blah, you sound like an english teacher.
Old 05-29-2004, 10:39 PM   #3
Anonymous
FFR Player

I think both of the past entries before me have very valid points. While internet slang does have legitimate origins, it has undoubtedly spread to other areas of the internet, areas that really do not require such shorthand.

However, though they really can be quite annoying, I have personally found a gratefulness for their condition. For (and by that I mean because) many people like me who always type in full sentences always seem to enjoy distinguishing themlelves above the "lol" users and looking down on them. Honestly, if everyone typed in full sentences, I would have to go and find another way to inflate my ego. If everyone typed profound and perfect messages all the time, there would be no relish in finding a fellow deep thinker!

I know my points are rather a stretch, but the vast majority of people who use internet slang can not be convinced to try and change because:

1- They can't type fast enough and don't get the proper training.

2- There is no moral issue at hand. Last I heard, internet slang has not violated any laws or religious beliefs.

3- General internet chat is not generally seen as a reflection upon one's characteristics anymore. I would not even recognize some of the smartest people I know from school on the internet.

All right. I'm getting tired. I left a lot of flaws in my case, so feel free to attack.
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 10:41 PM   #4
TheTypist
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to TheTypist

Guest???

My login must have timed out on me. The above entry was mine.
TheTypist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 10:44 PM   #5
lightdarkness
Summer!!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to lightdarkness Send a message via MSN to lightdarkness Send a message via Yahoo to lightdarkness Send a message via Skype™ to lightdarkness

Ever since i met Arch0wl and Synthlight, i've tried very hard to use proper grammar.

However, there comes a point where sometimes, it is appropriate to use lol. Also, I tend to use brb, and sometimes dont capitilize my I's, or end my sentances.

Other than that, just spelling mistakes is all I do, I dont think the grammar is that bad, at least, where i venture on the net.
Old 05-30-2004, 01:10 PM   #6
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

Hey didn't I make this topic already

Yeah I think I did

Also: Good Grammar = Good
Bad Grammar = Bad

AND NOW YOU KNOW

^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved
Moogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 01:15 PM   #7
fusi0n
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to fusi0n

What the hell? Stop making these topics, because they don't change anything. People are always going to use internet slang.
Old 05-30-2004, 04:42 PM   #8
Sworde
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Sworde

Why is there something wrong with it? Sure those 13-year-olds may not know how to type, but everyone should be able to read short hand.
Sworde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 05:21 PM   #9
LEGO
Banned

Send a message via AIM to LEGO

I really don't care if people leave out apostrophes or don't use capitals, but things like this piss me off so much:

1. weather is not whether.

2. their is not there is not they're.

and

3. you're is not your.

The last one is most common and makes me want to scream.

Intelligence is attractive! Get that through your stupid heads teenybopper AOLers!

Gah.
LEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 06:18 PM   #10
DracIV
FFR Player

Wut is ur prob? Carppy tpyin good. Beter then L337.

\/\/3##, 47#34$7 7|-|3% 5$3 |\/|0$7#% p.0p3. 9.4|\/||\/|4. 1|\| .34# #337 $p34|{. |-|0\/\/3\/3., 7|-|3 |\|00_13$ $p34|{$ #1|{3 1P1071( 00#$ _% (0|\/|_1|\|1|\|9 _07|-| 7|-|1$ (#39171|\/|473 #4|\|95493) 4|\|P (.4pp% $p3##1|\|9/9.4|\/||\/||2.

Actually, both of those suck. Don't talk or type like an idiot if you can help it. Slang is okay. Shorthand is fine. Crappy spelling and laziness are not. In the games many people have accurate shorthand and sound fine, but the ones with extremely poor grammar and spelling who can't even type a sentence with fewer than 3 errors attempt to use the internet shorthand as a cover. Bad spelling and grammar is not internet shorthand or slang, it's bad spelling and grammar. It only makes them look stupid no matter how they try to cover up their laziness and inability to type well. A few mistakes here and there are okay, but not the amount the truly horrible typers have. I'd say the only time bad spelling and grammar is okay is when you are talking about something serious and you flat out can't type well (not laziness), but you actually try to write nicely for the other people.
DracIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 08:16 PM   #11
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

The final words on all grammar threads is how you want to make yourself look. If you want to subtract a few years from your appearance, simply type words without a care for proper grammar or spelling. If you want to appear more sincere and sound older, then you should use at least near-perfect grammar and spelling. If you want to go for the gusto, use words even you don't understand, but try to get the correct usage down before you do!

~Squeek
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 08:31 PM   #12
Laharl
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Laharl Send a message via MSN to Laharl

For the record, it's a riot to pronounce "lol" and "rofl" as though they were words. We and my friends will often yell "roffle!" in the real world as a joke at something only moderatly funny, or when we mock internet lamers.

OMG ROFL LOLOLOLOL U ALL SUXX0RZ

POINTLESSLY TAKING UP BANDWIDTH SINCE THE INCEPTION OF THE INTERNET
Laharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 08:39 PM   #13
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

We don't get to go to Hawaii.

^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved
Moogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 08:40 PM   #14
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Laharl, I do the same thing. Except my friends are the ones who do that, so when I read over AIM or MSN logs when they are next to me they get pissed.

"u" = "oo"
"i" = "ih"
"lol" = "loll"
"ic" = "ick"
"wat" = "waat"
"cuz" = "cooz"
"coz" = "couze"

And of course the uber roffle.

I mean, they use them as words, so they must be words, right?

~Squeek
Old 06-14-2004, 08:49 PM   #15
DracIV
FFR Player

Squeek, that's not always true. Most of the people I know who type badly either do so because A. They just can't type well at all (poor coordination) or B. They are lazy. I doubt any old person has typed horribly to appear younger because in the long run it doesn't matter one wit how old you are on the internet.
DracIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 09:24 PM   #16
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Define old in this case. Wouldn't you agree that at least 90% of the people on the forums here are teenagers? I'm not sure about the rest of the country, but from 1st grade to 8th grade you had to take keyboarding. I'm glad I did. I loved cheating so badly back then... Those keyboard covers never stood a chance. (Though I taught myself to type without looking later on).

Personally, I care about how I appear to others. I want to come off as an intelligent person, simply because that's what I am. I don't want to dumb myself down because then others will look down on that and make it known. Plus I am about to enter college and there's that whole writing papers thing you have to go through. It was a good decision to never use Internet slang in that case because now I will never screw up late at night and turn in a paper full of "u"s.

~Squeek
Old 06-14-2004, 10:12 PM   #17
The_Q
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to The_Q Send a message via Yahoo to The_Q

Here's my opinion from studying language. Internet slang is bringing language to it's fullest potential. Acronyms for many phrases make writing much more efficient if done properly. Of course, there are consequences, such as a changed language, but language is always changing. If all languages were spelled phonetically there would be many more bilingual people in the world. Also, to go along with the slang of youth, the word "like". Is it bad to use it excessively? I say it's ok in moderation, but excessiveness makes it's effect become nullified. (Excuse my grammar in this post, I'm freaking tired.) When someone says "Like" you assume a detailed description is following so you listen more attentively. It works.
The_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 01:00 AM   #18
alvask8er
FFR Player

Send a message via Yahoo to alvask8er

The state of grammar on the internet.
Is that not gramaticly incorrect?
I know your topic was more about internet lingo, but eh.
Now, in the real world, many things have been shortened up, but who cares? Every weekday, every state....so why is there a problem with common words that must be repeatedly spelled out?
Old 06-15-2004, 04:29 AM   #19
Jam930
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvask8er
The state of grammar on the internet.
I know your topic was more about internet lingo, but eh.
Now, in the real world, many things have been shortened up, but who cares? Every weekday, every state....so why is there a problem with common words that must be repeatedly spelled out?
Quote:
Double negative and you spelled grammatically wrong.

The reason we don't want to talk with billions of nerdish acronyms and things is because it wouldn't work. Children simply can't go directly to that without learning the proper way first simply because the proper way is neccessary in all professional aspects of life.

Isn't it?

We might as well say "yo wasup mah dawg" and stupid crap like that.

There's never a good reason to be stupid. =/

Where's Spec?
Old 06-15-2004, 05:05 AM   #20
ImEric12
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to ImEric12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
2- There is no moral issue at hand. Last I heard, internet slang has not violated any laws or religious beliefs.
Internet shorthand is officially against my religion. Anyone else wanna join it? Free donuts on fridays!

ImEric12 is offline   Reply With Quote