Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2009, 02:01 AM   #1
Master Hakuoh9872
FFR Player

Unhappy It Sucks to Be Talented Sometimes

Doesn't it suck to be talented at the wrong things?
Meaning you're good at one thing, but you're not 100% proud of yourself
for it and you wannna do something more impressive, but ya just can't do it.

An example? Here's something: I myself feel somewhat proud of being able
to work with a little game called MUGEN, the fighting engine. Found out
about it one year ago and since then I've compiled over 100 characters in
one folder. I've also collected 40-50 stages to fight in.

Thought that seems righteous, there's something more I've always wanted to
do: draw stuff. I've always wanted to draw cool pictures of lots of characters (using Photoshop too),
but no matter how much I'd try, I couldn't get the hang of it. Shadows and bgs, anatomy and position,
and studying movement...it was all gibberish to me! I tried to understand the material over and over,
but failed miserably. That was 6 years ago in 2003, when I had dreams of
becoming an artist someday. Now I'll simply be just some computer
mole who works on his laptop all day...*sighs* I wanted to be an artistic
legend....

This whole thing does have a point: is there anything you've always
wanted to do, but didn't have the means to achieve it?
(btw anyone have any tips for this pathetic artist?)
Master Hakuoh9872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:05 AM   #2
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973
Default Re: It Sucks to Be Talented Sometimes

i tried using mugen an failed

but i never bothered reading instructions lol

and i believe i can do anything i set my mind to~
Old 03-23-2009, 04:31 AM   #3
OrganisM
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Hakuoh9872 View Post
is there anything you've always
wanted to do, but didn't have the means to achieve it?
An orgy. We'll see, there's time.

Originally Posted by jewpinthethird[link]:
"If you get stung by enough bees you turn into a bee,
because the venom gets into the blood stream which
spreads bee DNA throughout your entire body...
changing your genetic structure into a bee's.

Every year roughly 125 people in America are turned into bees this way."

Originally Posted by
MrRubix[link]:
"Do you basically bukkake-paint your walls every time you jack it?"

Originally Posted by All_That_Chaz[link]:
"My pity-sex depreciates at a rate of 5% annually."
OrganisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:34 AM   #4
lxDestinyxl
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to lxDestinyxl

When I read your first line, I thought you meant that it sucks to be talented at something which nobody really cares about, is fundamentally pointless or maintains the interest of a goldfish.

I mean, I can't understand why you can be more optimistic about what you have achieved yourself. There are always chances in life to be more of the person you want to be, and your hopes and dreams doesn't have to disappear the instant you find out that you aren't a good artist. You cannot assume that studying a course or taking regular sessions at something will guarantee you that fame and glory. It takes effort. It takes time. You need to set your mind to it. Of course, it is not always possible for that hope and dream to come true every time somebody follows these three guidelines, however, you cannot achieve anything without trying.

Getting back to the thread, I'm pleased with my outcome so far in the subject of piano. I was recently awarded this Diploma in the annual Award Ceremony held in the UNSW Auditorium:

Diploma

I suppose I'm happy with this achievement. I daresay, this is probably one of my finest achievement.

Now, I can agree with you to an extent, that it does suck to be talented at the wrong things. Well, sort of. It's in the best of interest what the individual wishes to achieve. However, no matter what you have, have done, achieved, been awarded or have attained, there is always something greater you wish to have. Many people wish to be something else, maybe an artist or an engineer, but whatever that is, it doesn't come without a price. Because you haven't become the person you wanted to be by now, its not the end of the road. There are bucket-loads of opportunities to bring you closer to that life fulfillment.

Of course, making the right decision faster is much easier to deal with in the future. For you, I wouldn't be pessimistic about everything you haven't managed to achieve, but to see the brighter side and look back into what you have achieved, no matter how big or little it is. To you, if you see it as righteous, then you have accomplished something. Art is a subject in which you need to use and broaden your imagination. Not everybody can do it, however, with your determination to try to understand and process these terminology which you think are gibberish to you now, you are better than those around you who quit at the sight of these words.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:00 AM   #5
Nyokou
( ̄ー ̄)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Nyokou

Being an artist is painful most of the time - you have to do things you don't like and you have to do repetitive and tedious, precise work in an art class that would make ANYONE go crazy, even the teacher her/him self. But because you do all that work and even though you don't understand why you are doing it, the results SHOW. You become a better artist from drawing still-lifes, random people on the street, anything boring that doesn't interest you. It all helps you to become a better artist and you need to have the patience and you can never give up. I've wanted to give up so many times before because I didn't think I would get any better and because my work didn't look like the work I idolized. Honestly, could a 10-year-old girl really match up her skill to an artistic master? She's can't.

You can't give up if you want to be good at something and you can't become discouraged - you just have to keep on trying. And it's not too late for you either. I know a local comic artist who was a TERRIBLE artist in his teens and didn't start drawing seriously until he was in his 20s or 30s and now he's a pretty damn good artist - his work is unbelievably good even though it's cartoonish.

A person always has the ability to develop a new talent. Always.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:14 AM   #6
stepqueen15
FFR Player

stepqueen da best of ddr so far lol...
stepqueen15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:42 AM   #7
Ruritsu
FFR Player

Yo OP, read the book 'Drawing On The Right Side Of Your Brain'
Old 03-23-2009, 11:02 AM   #8
Viccica
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Viccica Send a message via MSN to Viccica

My art teacher tells us that we get better at drawing the same way we get better at walking.

His reasoning is that you start off squirming around when you're a baby, crawl when you're a few months old, then walk, then run. You just naturally get better at it with practice in the same way that scribbles turn into stick figures and animals when you're a kid.

I imagine you get better at everything with the right amount of practice and if you're actually determined.

Been in this guy's class for a year and the amount of improvement on my talent in regards to drawing is monumental.

And I'd have to disagree with Ruritsu only slightly. The book he mentioned is amazing without a doubt, but if you want my honest opinion it's very hard to sit there and read through it if you're the type who likes to just dive into your art.

If you're the type who learns via reading, go for it, but I personally think you could do without until you've really established your own style.

I say start with basics and work up. Don't over analyze things or you're bound to screw it up. You can't expect to be a prodigy in everything. xD

In regards to things I wish I could be good at: I'd love to be able to play guitar and piano. I've started so many times and just given up after a while.

In view of current events in the banking market, does that refer to me or to you?

Sincerely,

Your Client
Eco Friendly
~Chu
Viccica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:20 PM   #9
demonllama6124
im your grandpa!!!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to demonllama6124 Send a message via Yahoo to demonllama6124

it all depends on what you do with your talent. some ppl can use it to gain popularity and money. others do it just cus they love it. seeing how your so good at MUGEN as you say, try writing up some pointers or doing advice vids to help others get into it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh_girl View Post
OP, WTFBrandon & demonllama6124

Only Men here with Manly Man hairy legs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
leonid, please shut the fuck up before I make you.
Help decide which game I should play next. Trying to beat all my games
http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...47#post4489647
demonllama6124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:12 PM   #10
OrganisM
FFR Player

Personally, I could go on for hours talking about my talents and potential, but I'm not in the habit of tooting my own horn, and if you want to find out what I do, we can talk about a specific subject.

Originally Posted by
MrRubix[link]:

Old 03-23-2009, 03:43 PM   #11
Tokzic
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tokzic

Sometimes you're just not wired to do things.

I can understand where you're coming from, in a way. I'm very interested in arts, but as far as drawing and painting goes, I'm simply mediocre and I have a very very slow learning curve. Worse - or possibly better? - whether or not I practice has absolutely no bearing on how much I improve. I constantly improve at a slow rate. Over a month, I'll have improved the virtually same amount regardless of whether I filled a sketchbook or did absolutely nothing.

Meanwhile, I'm incredibly skilled at programming and other computer-oriented business, despite enjoying it less, so guess what I'm getting a degree in?

Don't give up, though, because almost any learning curve you have, no matter how painful it is, can be stomped. You can be good at anything - just not exceptional.

Last edited by Tokzic: Today at 11:59 PM. Reason: wait what
Tokzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:46 PM   #12
OrganisM
FFR Player

Haha, we all want what we don't have. I'm very intuitively artistic and I love making and playing music, but I just don't have the patience to keep at programming.

I do build computers and pour over specs though. w00t

Originally Posted by
MrRubix[link]:

Old 03-23-2009, 04:49 PM   #13
Syhto
BuMP it
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Syhto

Your art teacher is wrong. Drawing is nothing like walking.

I have a lot of background on this. Some people just can't draw. I'm sorry, but it's true. Some people practice years to get as good as I was at age 4. It's dumb. You're wasting your time putting years into it, only to be an amateur. The art field is so saturated full of idiots who have no natural talent. Do what you're good at.

Practice helps, yeah. Schooling helps. But no one can TEACH you to have talent. You can't just snap your fingers and poof, you're talented. I'm more of a creative person. Just do what you're good at, again. You only want to do it because you can't. Just find something you can do and learn to love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tao of Dossar
I never self-reflect, and therefore, I have no negative thoughts about myself. However I am also aware about my successes.
Syhto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:31 PM   #14
Ruritsu
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syhto View Post

I have a lot of background on this. Some people just can't draw. I'm sorry, but it's true. Some people practice years to get as good as I was at age 4. It's dumb. You're wasting your time putting years into it, only to be an amateur. The art field is so saturated full of idiots who have no natural talent. Do what you're good at.

Practice helps, yeah. Schooling helps. But no one can TEACH you to have talent. You can't just snap your fingers and poof, you're talented. I'm more of a creative person. Just do what you're good at, again. You only want to do it because you can't. Just find something you can do and learn to love it.
The bold is wrong. Talent plays a part, but is not the end all be all. You can learn to draw, it can be taught and its nothing you have to just be born with. Anybody who can write legibly has show proof of their ability to [i]learn[i] to draw...

Quote:
My art teacher tells us that we get better at drawing the same way we get better at walking.

His reasoning is that you start off squirming around when you're a baby, crawl when you're a few months old, then walk, then run. You just naturally get better at it with practice in the same way that scribbles turn into stick figures and animals when you're a kid.

I imagine you get better at everything with the right amount of practice and if you're actually determined.

Been in this guy's class for a year and the amount of improvement on my talent in regards to drawing is monumental.

And I'd have to disagree with Ruritsu only slightly. The book he mentioned is amazing without a doubt, but if you want my honest opinion it's very hard to sit there and read through it if you're the type who likes to just dive into your art.

If you're the type who learns via reading, go for it, but I personally think you could do without until you've really established your own style.

I say start with basics and work up. Don't over analyze things or you're bound to screw it up. You can't expect to be a prodigy in everything. xD

In regards to things I wish I could be good at: I'd love to be able to play guitar and piano. I've started so many times and just given up after a while.
You learn to draw before you develop a style. The book teaches you how to attack looking at things before you draw them, which is something that you'll need before even picking up the pencil. Developing a style but not knowing how to see doesn't work. To make it easier to understand, when you're drawing something you're looking at, you look at it and draw the contours and shade values as you see them. If you're drawing something from the mind (Which is what you do if realism isn't your style) you do the same thing, but you look at the object and perceive the contours, shadows, values, distances, shapes, etc. using your mind's eye. The book teaches you how "see" which you will need to know regardless of how you plan to style your drawings in the future. This is not to say that you couldn't learn this skill on your own, but I personally think the book is a powerful tool for teaching it to people who've almost given up...
Old 03-23-2009, 06:41 PM   #15
Cloud0005
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Cloud0005 Send a message via MSN to Cloud0005

why is it
that you must type
like this for you
see I really do
not see why
you would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quigly View Post
SHUT UP GUYZ HE HAS PROBLEMS!!!!!!

DIDN'T YOU READ HIS NAME??? HE CRIES AT NIGHT!!!!!

YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!!!!!!

=o
Cloud0005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:00 PM   #16
Syhto
BuMP it
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Syhto

Okay let me rephrase that

some people just cant draw

good
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tao of Dossar
I never self-reflect, and therefore, I have no negative thoughts about myself. However I am also aware about my successes.
Syhto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:06 AM   #17
Master Hakuoh9872
FFR Player

Red face Re: It Sucks to Be Talented Sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokzic View Post
Don't give up, though, because almost any learning curve you have, no matter how painful it is, can be stomped. You can be good at anything - just not exceptional.
I kinda agree with that. I do have some talent at drawing furries
(or rather, sonic characters) but I can't use shadows cause I have
crappy pencils and I can't draw backgrounds cause I really suck at it.

I know I'm a bit good at drawing and now thanks to all of you guys
and your words of encouragement, I can get better.

But the truth still remains: I'll be good, just not exceptional at it. And that's
okay with me. At least I got this far, right? Anyway, I give my thanks to
everyone..*bows ceremoniously* for your kindness. I am honored.
Master Hakuoh9872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:27 AM   #18
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

Quote:
Okay let me rephrase that

some people just cant draw

good
not true

learning curve
Old 03-24-2009, 09:01 AM   #19
Viccica
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Viccica Send a message via MSN to Viccica

Quote:

My art teacher is amazing. =] Just want to throw that out there. And he was referring the concept of improvement. Not actually relating the two to each other.

And let's not take stabs at people with college degrees? I daresay he knows a tad bit more about the subject than you. :3

And I've already said that book is great, Ruritsu. ^.-

In view of current events in the banking market, does that refer to me or to you?

Sincerely,

Your Client
Eco Friendly
~Chu
Viccica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:32 PM   #20
gafandriel
All the world is at war
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganisM View Post
An orgy. We'll see, there's time.
Haha, i apologize, but I stopped reading this thread right after this.

I'm not quite sure what other people have said, but im not really all that talented at anything. I can sing, but eh, who cares. I have always wanted to be able to juggle though =-/
gafandriel is offline   Reply With Quote