Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-7-2014, 11:35 AM   #21
25thhour
I like max
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Don't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavernio View Post
Well by that logic paying 40k for 4 years of a university degree must be a heinous offense.
Only 40k. I have to pay 100k in total for 4 years University.

Growing up my mom my sister and I lived off of less than 15 thousand a year. I even got a job at 14 to help my mom with the bills.
Old 01-7-2014, 11:57 AM   #22
leonid
I am leonid
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25thhour View Post
Only 40k. I have to pay 100k in total for 4 years University.

Growing up my mom my sister and I lived off of less than 15 thousand a year. I even got a job at 14 to help my mom with the bills.
You had to pay only 100k? I got some story to tell you

Proud member of Team No
leonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2014, 02:31 PM   #23
clasko1000
Ima Twans
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to clasko1000

Me and my brother got out of my "winter car" when it was -20 last night and while walking into the house i said were lucky to live in a house.

I used to help run a homeless shelter twice a week overnight for 3 winters, I see how lucky i am. I'm not currently helping as i couldn't function school/work with no sleep for the overnight shifts, but will continue when school is done. This is not the only volunteer work ive done.

For small bragging rights, i live in a nice house(parents), own 2 cars(my mustang and a 4x4 SUV, I own both fully) and live very comfortably. Im making 20k currently while finishing school, and my bills are small.

Best AAA's | Slam the door(61) Scars Left By Time(62) What Lies Beyond The Mountains(62)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald000 View Post
I'll take some more free boosters please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
please do the community a favor
http://ffr.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ
clasko1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2014, 02:53 PM   #24
reuben_tate
Kawaii Desu Ne?
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kommisar View Post
in theory, everyone should have eventually moved up to higher paying jobs
Old people die allowing for higher paying jobs to open up and new people are born to fill in the low-paying jobs that become available as people move forward in their job/career.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DossarLX ODI View Post
Unpaid internships should be a crime
People are so desperate for jobs these days though that they'll do anything to put themselves ahead of their competitors. Heck, even unpaid internships in themselves are competitive Dx

I just find it sad how companies know people are desperate so they take advantage of it to get some free labor. (Not to mention there is also the opportunity cost if say you have to choose between working McDonald's or the unpaid internship)

I'm actually doing one for next semester though. It's in my free time though: I'm going to be designing some children's activity book for the astronomy center at my university.

Not happening now! Don't click to join!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
(^)> peck peck says the heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX
And god made ben, and realized he was doomed to miss. And said it was good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakvvv666
awww :< crushing my dreams; was looking foward to you attempting to shoot yourself point blank and missing
reuben_tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2014, 04:25 PM   #25
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

If you can't afford to pay an employee a livable wage, then you can't afford to do business.
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2014, 05:25 PM   #26
reuben_tate
Kawaii Desu Ne?
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
If you can't afford to pay an employee a livable wage, then you can't afford to do business.
It's funny you mention that because so many times have I heard of businesses that justify paying their workers dirt wages because they "can't afford" to pay them anything more.

Not happening now! Don't click to join!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
(^)> peck peck says the heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX
And god made ben, and realized he was doomed to miss. And said it was good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakvvv666
awww :< crushing my dreams; was looking foward to you attempting to shoot yourself point blank and missing
reuben_tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2014, 05:36 PM   #27
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben_tate View Post
Old people die allowing for higher paying jobs to open up and new people are born to fill in the low-paying jobs that become available as people move forward in their job/career.

People are so desperate for jobs these days though that they'll do anything to put themselves ahead of their competitors. Heck, even unpaid internships in themselves are competitive Dx

maybe in america, but in this end of canada it's an aging population. nursing homes have 2-3 year lists where as a decade ago they couldn't fill all the beds. there is a shortage of workers and most around here don't want minimum wage jobs. so the canadian government pays foreigners to come live here with their families to work them. I'm completely serious.

Last edited by kommisar; 01-7-2014 at 05:39 PM..
kommisar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2014, 05:39 PM   #28
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlp View Post
also remember that the poor in the US usually have it better than the poor in the rest of the world
Not if the Republicans get their way and eliminate all the safety nets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavernio View Post
Well by that logic paying 40k for 4 years of a university degree must be a heinous offense.
You pay $10k a year? Must be the Canada. That's crazy low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DossarLX ODI View Post
Unpaid internships should be a crime
They're supposed to actually give you knowledge and experience, like a college course or an apprenticeship would. The ones that don't (and just have you fetching coffee or whatever) actually ARE against the law, but a lot of people don't know that and it's definitely hard to fight against a huge company when you're a college kid with no money and no job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben_tate View Post
It worked great for a while. But now, in America anyway, we have this huge "baby boomer" generation that doesn't feel like retiring/dying any time soon (thanks to health care advances). Plus a lot of jobs that used to be steady no-experience-needed entry-level positions (e.g. secretary, data entry, factory work) are being replaced by technology as soon as it's cheap enough to do so. End result, job positions just aren't opening up the way they used to. And it sucks for the people with no experience or professional network.
qqwref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2014, 05:52 PM   #29
Poison-
Nope
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I'm so glad university here in Canada doesn't cost as much as it does in the States.
Poison- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2014, 06:03 PM   #30
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqwref View Post
They're supposed to actually give you knowledge and experience, like a college course or an apprenticeship would. The ones that don't (and just have you fetching coffee or whatever) actually ARE against the law, but a lot of people don't know that and it's definitely hard to fight against a huge company when you're a college kid with no money and no job.
IMO, if you are doing something for a business that is adding value and helping them in some way, you should be paid for that work, period.

I basically echo these pieces:

http://scientopia.org/blogs/drugmonk...ence-labs-too/

http://www.417am.com/2013/12/unpaid-...-deal-for.html
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2014, 06:06 PM   #31
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things

Send a message via Skype™ to psychoangel691

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlp View Post
also remember that the poor in the US usually have it better than the poor in the rest of the world
Only if you know how to cheat the system. Aj and I have had a lot of ups and downs over the last 4yrs. We'd find jobs, things would be going well then next thing we know no job or extreme cut in hours. It's been rough. A lot of the programs available are extremely hard to get and even harder to stay on. I'm not going to get into too many details, but it's not the way people think it typically is. At least in the states I've lived in. I mean section 8 alone has been shut down in many states and in the states that still have it you're looking at a 2yr wait list. Homeless shelters have wait lists too. If you don't have kids you may as well forget getting just about anything from the government.

Right now I'm not going to deny it sucks. We're living on a low income because AJ's hours aren't very many and vary based on volume. I was working there as well which made it better but I left for the 8 weeks to have Ariana and they essentially fired me. I was trying to get back in and they kept telling me there was no volume, then eventually I found I was removed from their system. It is possible to live on a fairly low income if you know how to budget well and do without a lot of things, but it's definitely not fun.

As per school AJ and I are going to come out with about $60,000 each in student loans. I'm really hoping that we're going to be able to find decent jobs after we graduate. I have about another year and a half though. Bleh
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBackpack View Post
also a fucking helicopter is the absolute last place I'd go to find out how big my dick is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_God_10 View Post
Dawg you don't even know. It's so fuckin' small I can use a pen cap to jack off

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
yeah I'mma go for the Rave7 route she's just perfect, stiff on the top, thin in the middle, and has a BIG THICC END that I can just jack on all night UwU best girl
psychoangel691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2014, 08:18 PM   #32
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kommisar View Post
maybe in america, but in this end of canada it's an aging population. nursing homes have 2-3 year lists where as a decade ago they couldn't fill all the beds. there is a shortage of workers and most around here don't want minimum wage jobs. so the canadian government pays foreigners to come live here with their families to work them. I'm completely serious.
Shortage of Workers? AHAHAHAHAHA

You know that in the past 4 or 5 years, the unemployment rate (Which is the people who are -looking for jobs- but can't get them) for the "recent grad" demographic of 22-29 was almost 30 percent? That's "The Great Depression" level bad.

It has nothing to do with not wanting a minimum wage job. Do you know how many minimum wage jobs I applied to when I was out of work? I'll tell you: all of them.

Retail, Fast Food, Service, you name it, I applied to it. You know why I didn't get a job? Because I have a university degree. They won't -GIVE- a minimum wage job to someone with a degree, because they know they won't stay and will be looking for another better paying job.

So your option becomes lying about your education and pretending you don't have a degree at all. If you worked part-time through school, you might be okay trying this, but if you didn't, you've got a 3-4 year gap in employment that any HR staff is going to see right through.

Add to that the fact that by leaving off your degree, you're basically saying "The tens of thousands of dollars and years of time and effort I spent earning this degree were a waste"

They've actually started classifying an entirely new subset of depression based around depression caused by being unable to find a job because it is -intensely- hard not to start taking it personally like there is something wrong with YOU when you apply to 100 jobs and nobody even sends rejections out anymore.

My company put out an ad on Kijiji for a part-time job that pays only a little above minimum wage. In 48 hours I had over TWO HUNDRED applications, most from people with university degrees.

Last edited by devonin; 01-7-2014 at 08:22 PM..
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2014, 08:20 PM   #33
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqwref View Post

What used to be a 30k entry level job is now an unpaid internship. Each of those 30k/year savings gets translated into that much more salary for the executives.
Old 01-7-2014, 10:51 PM   #34
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist

Don't think I'm saying unpaid internships are awesome and unquestionably ethical - I definitely don't think that. I just wanted to point out that, at least in the US, there are rules they are *supposed* to go by, and that there actually is some legal protection for people who get ripped off by "jobs" that break those rules.
qqwref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2014, 11:16 PM   #35
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

The point is, those internships, the ones where you -do- learn and gain experience, those used to pay a living salary, and now they pay nothing SOLELY because all the executives collectively decided they'd all do it. The removal of entry level positions in pretty much every white-collar company probably singlehandedly raises unemployment by half a percent.
Old 01-7-2014, 11:58 PM   #36
Poison-
Nope
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Some of my friends are in co-ops through their universities. $16-$20/hr in the second year of their program. I know it's not amazing, but the fact that they get on the job experience as well as getting paid a decent amount is great in my opinion.
Poison- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-8-2014, 01:48 AM   #37
adlp
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

devonin and i butt heads alot but when it comes to this kind of stuff im glad he's around to pull numbers because i am internet lazy
Old 01-8-2014, 05:47 AM   #38
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
Shortage of Workers? AHAHAHAHAHA

You know that in the past 4 or 5 years, the unemployment rate (Which is the people who are -looking for jobs- but can't get them) for the "recent grad" demographic of 22-29 was almost 30 percent? That's "The Great Depression" level bad.

It has nothing to do with not wanting a minimum wage job. Do you know how many minimum wage jobs I applied to when I was out of work? I'll tell you: all of them.

Retail, Fast Food, Service, you name it, I applied to it. You know why I didn't get a job? Because I have a university degree. They won't -GIVE- a minimum wage job to someone with a degree, because they know they won't stay and will be looking for another better paying job.

So your option becomes lying about your education and pretending you don't have a degree at all. If you worked part-time through school, you might be okay trying this, but if you didn't, you've got a 3-4 year gap in employment that any HR staff is going to see right through.

Add to that the fact that by leaving off your degree, you're basically saying "The tens of thousands of dollars and years of time and effort I spent earning this degree were a waste"

They've actually started classifying an entirely new subset of depression based around depression caused by being unable to find a job because it is -intensely- hard not to start taking it personally like there is something wrong with YOU when you apply to 100 jobs and nobody even sends rejections out anymore.

My company put out an ad on Kijiji for a part-time job that pays only a little above minimum wage. In 48 hours I had over TWO HUNDRED applications, most from people with university degrees.
you live in ontario, perhaps you missed the tidbit that said in my end of canada.

that is hardly the situation here. there are tons of retail jobs hiring in moncton. new brunswick has the highest aging population in the country due to most people moving out west for higher paying jobs. there are very few jobs that aren't minimum wage and all those positions are still filled by older people who can't afford to retire so they keep working. soon there will be a gigantic lack of skilled trade workers (my work is currently heavily understaffed, if you want a job washing dishes for 18$/h holler) since our province can't offer competitive salaries like alberta can in other sectors such as food service and other low skill jobs. literally (I am not exaggerating) 70% of convenience stores here are owned by South Koreans who were given money by the Canadian government to come here and run a business. Nobody wanted to work these jobs so they found people to do them. NB is a shithole though so it's no surprise nobody wants to live here hue. There is nothing keeping skilled workers here since most jobs are held by the majority age group that should be retiring soon. people my age here are few and far in between and in the next 10 years there will most certainly be a shortage of workers.

Last edited by kommisar; 01-8-2014 at 05:50 AM..
kommisar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-8-2014, 07:47 AM   #39
Banned
FFR Veteran

$600/month (just barely)
$7200/year!

Yeah I'm getting by. (not)
top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-8-2014, 08:47 AM   #40
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

600/month doesn't even cover my rent, let alone food, phone bill, internet bill, student loans and transportation.