Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Brian View Post
aloud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic-fast-fingers View Post
o_O?

What is this referring to?
Incorrect spelling.
Aloud: in usage, "to read aloud to the class".
Allowed: in usage, "not allowed to enter the back room".

EDIT: Also, page 5, whoa... o_O
Old 09-17-2008, 12:11 AM   #82
clarinet89
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to clarinet89 Send a message via MSN to clarinet89
Default Re: Banned for Wanting Grammar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMicester View Post
dude wats this wat i do to you sonic you said yu wanted to llike m i likerd you now you do this i find it i go micester search to e ball runmble and its like 3 hthing so first now anda i use suthe thing its you and now ayou atalk her in by my back?
Wait, what? Next time maybe you can put an english translation somewhere. Haha jk.

Questionable Content
clarinet89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:05 AM   #83
sonic-fast-fingers
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to sonic-fast-fingers Send a message via MSN to sonic-fast-fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMicester View Post
dude wats this wat i do to you sonic you said yu wanted to llike m i likerd you now you do this i find it i go micester search to e ball runmble and its like 3 hthing so first now anda i use suthe thing its you and now ayou atalk her in by my back?
LOL!!!!

If Micester really somehow found this thread and signed up with FFR then that is awesome!!!! It is probably some random person who made the account though.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:07 AM   #84
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Probably misspelled everything on purpose.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:17 AM   #85
sonic-fast-fingers
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to sonic-fast-fingers Send a message via MSN to sonic-fast-fingers

I guess the whole community does not understand grammar!!! Look at the room title (top left). It says: "Moonlight pro's only." *Shakes Head*

Old 09-17-2008, 06:27 AM   #86
Magewout
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
That is the exception, not the rule.

It's not elitism. It's a standard. And if someone is trying to learn a language, you would think they'd use words properly and not shorten them to 'u' or 'y' or 'r'. You can't learn a language like that.
What makes that the exception? The oh-so American assumption that everyone has English as their native language? Hello, this is the internet, it exists outside of America as well. In fact, English is my third language.

Plus, you see so many abbreviations these days, whether you like it or not, and I know people who actually think that's a part of the English language. It's not their fault because it's what they constantly read all over the internet.

Damn, if everyone in Belgium or The Netherlands would complain about people not speaking Standard Dutch they'd be busy all day because everyone speaks their different dialect, and they type like that as well. It's a way of letting people know where you are from over here.

I'm trying to tell you people to let go. I know exceptionally smart people with incredibly bad grammar on MSN. When I ask why they don't try to type properly, I get the answer 'I'm getting my point across, and in the end, that's what communication is all about'. Which is a very good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRubix View Post
EDIT: Wow Magewout just slayed my riddles
Magewout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:51 AM   #87
sonic-fast-fingers
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magewout View Post
What makes that the exception? The oh-so American assumption that everyone has English as their native language? Hello, this is the internet, it exists outside of America as well. In fact, English is my third language.

Plus, you see so many abbreviations these days, whether you like it or not, and I know people who actually think that's a part of the English language. It's not their fault because it's what they constantly read all over the internet.

Damn, if everyone in Belgium or The Netherlands would complain about people not speaking Standard Dutch they'd be busy all day because everyone speaks their different dialect, and they type like that as well. It's a way of letting people know where you are from over here.

I'm trying to tell you people to let go. I know exceptionally smart people with incredibly bad grammar on MSN. When I ask why they don't try to type properly, I get the answer 'I'm getting my point across, and in the end, that's what communication is all about'. Which is a very good point.
I failed to mention that Rumble Fighter is a North America/Canada only game.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:52 AM   #88
Chrissi
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Chrissi

Magewout, your point is all fine and good until they're NOT getting their point across, which I find happens more often than not with people with terrible spelling/grammar.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:53 AM   #89
Chrissi
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic-fast-fingers View Post
I failed to mention that Rumble Fighter is a North America/Canada only game.
Doesn't matter, there are people whose native language isn't english in this region too (especially in Canada) .
Old 09-17-2008, 06:58 AM   #90
sonic-fast-fingers
FFR Player

What do you mean it doesn't matter? You would expect someone born and raised in America to speak English. How many all Spanish schools do you think they have? Even if a child was taught predominately a different language they are still going to be around English since they were very little (if raised in America). So it does matter.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:22 AM   #91
Chrissi
FFR Player

Did you not hear me?

I said english isn't their native language. Which probably means they moved here at an older age.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:19 AM   #92
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

Quote:
I know exceptionally smart people with incredibly bad grammar on MSN. When I ask why they don't try to type properly, I get the answer 'I'm getting my point across, and in the end, that's what communication is all about'. Which is a very good point.
Except that they fail to account for the necessity of efficiency in communication, especially in a fast-paced, text-only medium like the internet.

Yes, you can communicate your point in ten seconds, but it's only detrimental to everybody if you and your audience has to spend sixty seconds trying to decode it.

Rather, I'd prefer everyone to take eleven seconds to communicate in a grammatical sense so that everyone understands exactly what is intended without question or confusion. It's better for everyone that way.

Commas, apostrophes, and grammar rules weren't invented just to give seventh graders a hard time; they exist because they are necessary to avoid confusion. Without even the smallest mark you can confuse your audience and create a frustrating situation just because you're lazy.

You'll excuse me if I don't cater to your sloth.

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:28 AM   #93
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MalReynolds

For example:

She had a crack baby.

vs.

She had a crack, baby.

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Maledictions: The Offering.

Now in Paperback!
MalReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:41 AM   #94
Magewout
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter View Post
Except that they fail to account for the necessity of efficiency in communication, especially in a fast-paced, text-only medium like the internet.

Yes, you can communicate your point in ten seconds, but it's only detrimental to everybody if you and your audience has to spend sixty seconds trying to decode it.

Rather, I'd prefer everyone to take eleven seconds to communicate in a grammatical sense so that everyone understands exactly what is intended without question or confusion. It's better for everyone that way.

Commas, apostrophes, and grammar rules weren't invented just to give seventh graders a hard time; they exist because they are necessary to avoid confusion. Without even the smallest mark you can confuse your audience and create a frustrating situation just because you're lazy.

You'll excuse me if I don't cater to your sloth.

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com
If i write without perfct grammer / spelling but its still understandable enuff for u 2 kno what im tryin to say i really really dont see the problem at all.

You're not going to tell me you didn't understand above sentence, or that you had to 'decode' that, right? I can understand it when there's a total absence of any kind of sentence structure and the likes, but abbreviated words shouldn't be a problem, especially if English is your native language.

@MalReynolds: I facepalmed. Yeah, let's list ten cases where the comma does matter versus the millions of others where it doesn't.

PS: You might notice that I myself am trying to type in decent English, but that's my personal choice. I expect people to respect my choices and therefore I try to respect others when they choose to not give priority to their grammar.

Quote:
Old 09-17-2008, 12:17 PM   #95
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Quote:
If i write without perfct grammer / spelling but its still understandable enuff for u 2 kno what im tryin to say i really really dont see the problem at all.
translation: If igneous rocks write without perfection controlled timing gamer / spelling but International Treatise of Spelling still understandable snuff for Uganda two knowledge what Imps train to say igneous rocks really duplicate words done see the problem at all.

How do I know if you shortened a word or made a typo? How do I know some of the words you wrote aren't acronyms or just words you wrote without punctuation? Since I don't know, I filled in some of blanks as my mind saw fit.

If you've ever tried to translate a foreign language with a typo, here's a protip. It's impossible. So don't even give me that "English isn't their first language" bull. We have the sub-clause in place that says ESOL kids are the exception here, but I have never seen an ESOL kid purposely butcher a language he's learning just to "look cool" or "save time".

Quote:
@MalReynolds: I facepalmed. Yeah, let's list ten cases where the comma does matter versus the millions of others where it doesn't.
How, about, the, case, of, the, super, annoying, sentence, with, commas, after, every, single, word? Where, is, the, proper, comma, in, this, sentence? Is, there, one? Isn't, this, annoying, to, read? You, probably, think, this, is, just, a, joke. I, wish, I, never, saw, a, post, like, this, before, but, I, have.

Quote:
PS: You might notice that I myself am trying to type in decent English, but that's my personal choice. I expect people to respect my choices and therefore I try to respect others when they choose to not give priority to their grammar.
Then I don't see why you don't respect the choice of the authority that runs these forums. The rule of spelling/grammar is just as arbitrary as the rule of no double-posting. It's a conduct rule. If you can't spell properly, you aren't 13. I absolutely cannot imagine a situation where an English-speaking user has any kind of excuse as to why they cannot write properly.

Why is that? Because this is a forum. It's not a chat room. You have literally all the time in the world to make a post. Pop it into Word! Use FireFox's spell-check! There are dozens of things you can do before you post anything that will automatically fix most of your errors.

Last edited by Squeek; 09-17-2008 at 12:20 PM..
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:37 PM   #96
s0ulst0n3
<SPACE FOR RENT>
FFR Veteran

Send a message via ICQ to s0ulst0n3 Send a message via AIM to s0ulst0n3 Send a message via MSN to s0ulst0n3 Send a message via Yahoo to s0ulst0n3 Send a message via Skype™ to s0ulst0n3

Quote:
How about the case of the super annoying sentence with commas after every single word? Where is the proper comma in this sentence? Is there one? Isn't this annoying to read? You probably think this is just a joke. I wish I never saw a post like this before, but I have.
After the word "before" is where the proper comma belongs, am I correct? Also yes, I have seen posts like that before. Those sentences are very annoying to read.

Quote:
Why is that? Because this is a forum. It's not a chat room. You have literally all the time in the world to make a post. Pop it into Word! Use FireFox's spell-check! There are dozens of things you can do before you post anything that will automatically fix most of your errors.
I had to quote this for emphasis.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:48 PM   #97
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MalReynolds

My example was a joke.

It was a joke!

Here's another:

I wish your sorry-ass face would get out of here.

vs.

I wish your sorry ass-face would get out of here.

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Maledictions: The Offering.

Now in Paperback!
MalReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:08 PM   #98
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

The classic example for importance of proper capitalization also:

I helped my uncle Jack off a horse

I helped my uncle jack off a horse
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:26 PM   #99
Magewout
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
translation: If igneous rocks write without perfection controlled timing gamer / spelling but International Treatise of Spelling still understandable snuff for Uganda two knowledge what Imps train to say igneous rocks really duplicate words done see the problem at all.

How do I know if you shortened a word or made a typo? How do I know some of the words you wrote aren't acronyms or just words you wrote without punctuation? Since I don't know, I filled in some of blanks as my mind saw fit.

If you've ever tried to translate a foreign language with a typo, here's a protip. It's impossible. So don't even give me that "English isn't their first language" bull. We have the sub-clause in place that says ESOL kids are the exception here, but I have never seen an ESOL kid purposely butcher a language he's learning just to "look cool" or "save time".

How, about, the, case, of, the, super, annoying, sentence, with, commas, after, every, single, word? Where, is, the, proper, comma, in, this, sentence? Is, there, one? Isn't, this, annoying, to, read? You, probably, think, this, is, just, a, joke. I, wish, I, never, saw, a, post, like, this, before, but, I, have.

Then I don't see why you don't respect the choice of the authority that runs these forums. The rule of spelling/grammar is just as arbitrary as the rule of no double-posting. It's a conduct rule. If you can't spell properly, you aren't 13. I absolutely cannot imagine a situation where an English-speaking user has any kind of excuse as to why they cannot write properly.

You know damn well what that sentence said. Exaggerating doesn't make a valid point since I can do that with a proper sentence as well.

I'd like to call bs on your protip. If you have a proper understanding of the language, most of the time you'll know whether it's a typo or not. You can get a lot of information out of the context. I'm doubting whether you have ever tried to translate a foreign language. The "English isn't their first language bull", as you call it, is nevertheless very correct. If even native speakers make mistakes to it's/its and they're/their/there, it's unfair to expect from everyone that they don't make mistakes, and to some people it might seem very rude to correct every mistake they make.

As for the commas, I didn't really have a problem with it, but that's probably just me as I'm used to reading **** like that :P

And eh, I am respecting this forum's rule, however, this discussion is about other forums with different rules, and grammar freaks complaining about them. How would you feel if people would constantly run around commenting on your language. Maybe reading bad grammar is annoying for you, but having 10 posts after that with corrections is annoying for other people trying to read the thread.

Btw, here's a real protip: spell-check programs don't correct all mistakes.

Quote:
Old 09-17-2008, 05:03 PM   #100
~kitty~
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
The classic example for importance of proper capitalization also:

I helped my uncle Jack off a horse

I helped my uncle jack off a horse
I love that example.

I hate trying to explain things to people.

Why is it so hard to explain things on the internet?

I give up on you guys.
~kitty~ is offline   Reply With Quote