Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #101
Poison-
Nope
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: The Fitness Thread

Solid chest and triceps workout today. Damn I love that feeling when you finish a workout knowing you went as hard as you could.
Poison- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #102
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to SCWolf Send a message via MSN to SCWolf Send a message via Skype™ to SCWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison- View Post
Solid chest and triceps workout today. Damn I love that feeling when you finish a workout knowing you went as hard as you could.
When you feel like throwing up/you throw up = great workout. Bet your arms are swole as hell.

Last edited by SCWolf; 08-13-2012 at 09:13 PM..
SCWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:22 PM   #103
Poison-
Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCWolf View Post
When you feel like throwing up/you throw up = great workout. Bet your arms are swole as hell.
Triceps are fun to workout because of how swole my arms get after

Quote:
When you feel like throwing up/you throw up = great workout.
I find legs to be the worst (best?) for that feeling. They take so much blood and oxygen during a hard workout it's insane.

Last edited by Poison-; 08-13-2012 at 09:25 PM..
Old 08-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #104
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Quote:
Your body can synthesize something like 50-60 grams a meal if you space it out, so I tend to do 40 grams a meal with 5 meals a day. I used to try to do the 6 meals a day thing but its really difficult with changing schedules, etc.
Your lifts are monstrous dude, but...that just isn't true. It's a myth!

You can eat all of your daily protein in a single sitting. It doesn't matter. It's been debunked by studies, but leangains puts it to practice, since many people eat all of their daily protein in a single sitting on this eating regime.

Also, no need to waste money; 0.8g/lb is sufficient protein to build muscle. Extra has not been shown to be associated with additional gains unless you're running steroids.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:56 PM   #105
Senip
Forum User

I know leangains has a lot of followers, but I don't know of any bodybuilders who follow it.

Also, most articles I've read by people who have experimented with it tend to say 1 gram will do it. You're a smart dude, and I don't really want to get into an argument over this (because really, it's kinda stupid, if it works for your body its fine) but when people like Kiefer and a bunch of other guys with a billion degrees disagree, you know...

but then, Layne Norton, who is a bad mofo, agrees with you. Not totally, but he does:

http://spotmebro.com/layne-norton-ph...and-how-often/

Quote:
It may be that a period where amino acids return to baseline or near baseline is required in order to initiate another bout of protein synthesis. I therefore suggest that one consume 4-6 larger protein doses per day instead of 6-8 meals and wait 4-5 hours between meals rather than 2-3 hours.
For the pertinent info.

I also supplement with leucine, because I feel like I've made a ton of growth doing it.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/layne-...ting-diet.html

There's a few diet outlines he throws out, but I want to stress that if you eat oats, get something like steel cut oats, because regular oats are shitty and filled with crap.

Same goes with the cereal, not sure why he added those.
Senip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #106
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senip View Post
I know leangains has a lot of followers, but I don't know of any bodybuilders who follow it.

Also, most articles I've read by people who have experimented with it tend to say 1 gram will do it. You're a smart dude, and I don't really want to get into an argument over this (because really, it's kinda stupid, if it works for your body its fine) but when people like Kiefer and a bunch of other guys with a billion degrees disagree, you know...

but then, Layne Norton, who is a bad mofo, agrees with you. Not totally, but he does:

http://spotmebro.com/layne-norton-ph...and-how-often/

For the pertinent info.

I also supplement with leucine, because I feel like I've made a ton of growth doing it.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/layne-...ting-diet.html

There's a few diet outlines he throws out, but I want to stress that if you eat oats, get something like steel cut oats, because regular oats are shitty and filled with crap.

Same goes with the cereal, not sure why he added those.
Just a friendly discussion.

My friend is running a pretty heavy cycle and consumes less protein than me. I've cut back my protein a lot and haven't seen a damn change in my gains. To each his own, but around 1 gram/lb seems perfectly sufficient. 1.5 is definitely a waste. 0.5 is definitely not enough.

Protein timing windows have been beaten to death from various sources, and the only consensus I can find is it just doesn't matter; if you eat it, you're fine. Personally, it wouldn't make a damn ounce of sense if you had to space your protein out. Our digestive tracts would have to be awfully inefficient to shit out quality protein. I can't see that having succeeded on an evolutionary timescale in times where people had to feast and fast frequently.

As for lean gains, plenty of people that are ripped run it. Of course bodybuilders don't run it though...they're on steroids and have to consume ridiculous amounts of food. Leangains is for naturals. Unless you're talking about natural bodybuilders, in which case I don't really follow that scene. I'm sure some of them have employed it though.

Anyway: http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-n...a-single-meal/

Last edited by Reach; 08-13-2012 at 10:29 PM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:28 PM   #107
Poison-
Nope

I'm curious to know if anyone on here uses any supplements other than protein powder, and their thoughts on them.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:39 PM   #108
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I don't see any reason why it matters how food is spaced out.

Here's an article about the protein issue that makes sense: http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-n...a-single-meal/

The mechanics may be different here, but I think of it this way: If an unhealthy man eats an entire cake in one sitting vs. throughout the day, is it really going to make a difference?

Now, if you're eating food in one sitting without counting calories, I think you take a risk of overeating (eating food so fast that your body doesn't have time to tell you that you're full and should ****ing stop), whereas this is easier to gauge when you spread it out. However, if we're talking about a fixed portion of food and its distribution of consumption, I don't think it should matter much.

When I look through the bodybuilding.com forums about this subject, it seems like many people disagree with the "one meal at a time" logic but only because they're consuming huge amounts of calories and can't possibly eat it all in one sitting -- so there's some serious selection bias with the multi-meal advice. When we're talking normal portions instead, one meal should be OK if it's easier to fit into your schedule.

EDIT: Reading a bit more into this, it seems like there may be some other factors at play here (likely due to exponential curve effects such that doing something multiple times means it's harder to have the same gains on margin), but I'm not sure how important those are -- seems to relate to shit like hormones which I know nothing about.

Last edited by Reincarnate; 08-13-2012 at 10:45 PM..
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:50 PM   #109
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to SCWolf Send a message via MSN to SCWolf Send a message via Skype™ to SCWolf

Quote:
I'm curious to know if anyone on here uses any supplements other than protein powder, and their thoughts on them.
Realistically, protein and creatine are really the only things you need. If you like pre-workouts, there's nothing wrong with those either. I personally can't have pre-workouts.

For Protein I just use my weight gainer, Nitro Juice 3000. For Creatine, I currently have Purple K buffered monohydrate.

Last edited by SCWolf; 08-13-2012 at 10:54 PM..
SCWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #110
Poison-
Nope

Quote:
Realistically, protein and creatine are really the only things you need. If you like pre-workouts, there's nothing wrong with those either. I personally can't have pre-workouts.
I'm not really into creatine. I used to use it, but I didn't like the weight I was gaining do to the water retention.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #111
Ohaider
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Did nothing today lol
Old 08-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #112
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Oh yeah, anyone have any opinion on oils to cook with?

So far I've been using olive oil (as opposed to grapeseed/sunflower/etc) but curious if anyone else has a different approach.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:55 PM   #113
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
I'm not really into creatine. I used to use it, but I didn't like the weight I was gaining do to the water retention.
What creatine were you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
Oh yeah, anyone have any opinion on oils to cook with?

So far I've been using olive oil (as opposed to grapeseed/sunflower/etc) but curious if anyone else has a different approach.
I use Cold Pressed Virgin Olive Oil. Yum yum.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #114
Poison-
Nope

Quote:
What creatine were you using?
I don't remember the brand, but it was just creatine monohydrate. Maybe it was a shitty brand or something if it's not normal to gain a lot of weight in like 2 weeks.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #115
i love you
Live a wonderful life~

Quote:
Agreed. Also, I personally do not trust any type of those protein powders or creatine shit as they put a lot of chemicals in these products. I like to stick with getting the protein from real organic foods.
i love you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:04 PM   #116
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
I don't remember the brand, but it was just creatine monohydrate. Maybe it was a shitty brand or something if it's not normal to gain a lot of weight in like 2 weeks.
That's not unheard of at all. It probably wasn't the brand, realistically. Monohydrate is Monohydrate. My friend had the same problem as you. Not really a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i love you View Post
Agreed. Also, I personally do not trust any type of those protein powders or creatine shit as they put a lot of chemicals in these products. I like to stick with getting the protein from real organic foods.
I will always respect people who are able to do everything free of supplements. I just personally couldn't do it.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:05 PM   #117
Emanresu13
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

the only protein "supplements" i take/took are whey and sometimes soy protein

hardly counts

also for serious if you arent allergic, nuts
Emanresu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:09 PM   #118
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanresu13 View Post
Yes yes yes yes yes.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:15 PM   #119
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by i love you View Post
Again, I am a noob so take this with a grain of salt (or someone else can correct me if I am wrong):

Based on my understanding so far, protein shakes should be viewed as more of a supplement than a meal replacement. Real food has nutrients and other goodies that are beneficial. There are some other differences like the thermic effect of protein digestion that comes with real food, whereas protein powders are pretty much "pre-digested."

However, protein powders are nice because it's an isolated, quick, tasty way to get a protein fix without worrying about adding too many carbs/fats to your intake (for instance, the powder I have supplies 140 calories, 30 grams of protein, 2 grams of carbs, and 1 gram of fat per scoop). Of course, I could eat half a chicken breast and get pretty much the same thing + all the additional nutrients, but not everyone wants to cook/eat so much chicken -- they like to have a variety of things to eat/drink throughout the day.

I see protein powders as more of a convenient supplement and nothing more. If you can get by without the powders, I think it's a "more power to you, that's awesome" sort of thing. Otherwise, it's nice to use for filling in the gaps.

I also read that too much whey protein is harder on your kidneys and causes bloat. Less protein powder also means fewer barnyard shits.

Last edited by Reincarnate; 08-13-2012 at 11:31 PM..
Old 08-13-2012, 11:20 PM   #120
Poison-
Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
Again, I am a noob so take this with a grain of salt (or someone else can correct me if I am wrong):

Based on my understanding so far, protein shakes should be viewed as more of a supplement than a meal replacement. Real food has nutrients and other goodies that are beneficial. There are some other differences like the thermic effect of protein digestion that comes with real food, whereas protein powders are pretty much "pre-digested."

However, protein powders are nice because it's an isolated, quick, tasty way to get a protein fix without worrying about adding too many carbs/fats to your intake (for instance, the powder I have supplies 140 calories, 30 grams of protein, 2 grams of carbs, and 1 gram of fat per scoop). Of course, I could eat half a chicken breast and get pretty much the same thing + all the additional nutrients, but not everyone wants to cook/eat so much chicken -- they like to have a variety of things to eat/drink throughout the day.

I see protein powders as more of a convenient supplement and nothing more. If you can get by without the powders, I think it's a "more power to you, that's awesome" sort of thing.
Yeah you explained it pretty well. I never use a protein shake as a meal replacement, since I like to get more nutrients from a meal, and the calories in a shake are definitely not enough for me. I'll have one scoop of protein immediately after a workout, and I'll usually have another one during the day with one of my meals (one that doesn't have any meat). If I have casein, I'll take it before I go to bed, since it's a slow releasing protein.