Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Films and Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2008, 01:57 PM   #21
l Endorphin l
Maybe
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Lucky Star is getting Dubbed by Bandai.

So, From what I see.
Afro & Nyo: +1
Gundam: -1
Mal:+200

Maybe I like it just because I like Kari Wahlgren
:/
l Endorphin l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:44 PM   #22
SethSquall
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to SethSquall

Um, I'd agree that there are some good dubs out there. But in this case? Hell no.

That was really bad. Awful.

The voices couldn't seem more wrong for the characters.

I know how it can't sound just like the Japanese voice but that's not what annoys me. If you honestly think those voices match those character then I hope you enjoy the show. But you know, some of us like the main character to sound like a high school student, not 30 year old chain smoker. It makes more sense.

I mean, Miyuki sounds like she is trying to sound little and cute. It's terrible. We can do little and cute. I know that for a fact. Tara Strong anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromer View Post
There are plenty of dubs that are on par with the original Japanese or even surpasses it. An example of one: Cowboy Bebop. Even the lead director of CB said that he felt the dub was even better then the original cast themselves.
Oh God are you serious? Hahahahahahahahaha.

Man I couldn't disagree with you more. I mean, if we were to go in different directions? I think maybe you'd go somewhere North and I'd dig to the center of the earth with my face.

Mate do me a favor, go look up Steven Jay Blum's work. He sounds the same in almost everything. It annoys me because I know he can do other voices but he chooses to do the same voice for a lot of his work. Spike from Bebop is Roger from Big O. In Cowboy Bebop, when Julia dies, you know, the woman who plays a huge part in Spikes life? Yea well she dies and he sounds about as upset as someone who has just dropped their Ice Cream. Which is a shame, because I know they could of done a hell of a lot better. The only voice actor I thought did a really good job in that shows dub was Melissa Charles

There are good voice actors out there.

Last edited by SethSquall; 04-22-2008 at 07:20 PM..
SethSquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:01 AM   #23
travman301
#swagdog
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to travman301

BU-BU-BU-BUMP

Some episodes are on veoh.com for those still interested.

Episode 1:http://www.veoh.com/videos/v82635066...1501308&rank=1

Edit: I just watched it, and I thought they did a very good job. A lot of people are complaining that the character voices are too "toned down" compared to the original.

However, I personally think that they did great transferring the off the wall humor that the originals presented without overly Americanizing it.

What do you all think?

Last edited by travman301; 05-28-2008 at 05:24 AM..
travman301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:23 AM   #24
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

I was wondering when this would be coming out.

I actually was considering picking up a boxset on just the preview/part of a subtitled episode I saw, assuming it's even being released on boxsets immediately.

I hate that ****. Where they sell individual DVDs with like 3 episodes, so you spend like 80 dollars for one season worth of episodes. And even worse than that is when they sell a single DVD with a BOX, like, yeah, that's why people buy boxsets, FOR THE ****ING BOX. That really grinds my gears.
Old 06-3-2008, 01:06 AM   #25
goku_god_of_fighting
FFR Player

well i for one dont agree with goku sounding like a chick...goku is man not a chick ok thats final...hes not gay hes a man... and i feel very strongly about this...i watch the subbed version of a lost dbz and was so angry ..but i kinda forgot i was mad when the fighting started lol....but every time i noticed it was chick i got upset again. id rather fight along side goku and know hes not checkin me out thats why i dont agree with him sounding like a chick...
goku_god_of_fighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-3-2008, 01:08 AM   #26
goku_god_of_fighting
FFR Player

one more thing...uhh can i get the where abouts of that so secrete you can get banned song...on ffr cause i want o play it really bad!!! maybe ill go super saiyon or something lol
goku_god_of_fighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-3-2008, 01:16 AM   #27
Xx{Midday}xX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Location: My own world. Miserable. Disgusting. Appalling. Pessimistic. Horrific. Terrible.
Send a message via AIM to Xx{Midday}xX Send a message via MSN to Xx{Midday}xX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
I hate that ****. Where they sell individual DVDs with like 3 episodes, so you spend like 80 dollars for one season worth of episodes. And even worse than that is when they sell a single DVD with a BOX, like, yeah, that's why people buy boxsets, FOR THE ****ING BOX. That really grinds my gears.
I know. I'd rather have them sell DVD data discs with 26 episodes per DVD disc rather than a DVD with DVD files with 4 episodes per DVD disc. You can't play it on the DVD player, but you can certainly hook up a computer to your TV and watch it there. =/

To Goku: Forum rules (double posting, grammar/spelling etc.). Never heard DBZ in English... I don't really remember DBZ all that well either.

I tried watching English Lucky Star. I tried. As a Kagami fan who adores tsundere (which is greatly affected by the use of voice, especially in accenting certain parts of a sentence), I still can't stand the English dubs. Katou Emiri ftw.

And yes, most Japanese people who learn English after the age of 10 can't speak English properly. Southern Cross, by 403 for example -_-. Not many people realize that the whole song is done in English. lol. (I fortunately learned both languages at the age of 6, so I have no improper accent when speaking either language. I also procure other foreign languages well too.)

つまんないシグでスマソ(´・ω・`)

Last edited by Xx{Midday}xX; 06-3-2008 at 01:19 AM..
Xx{Midday}xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-3-2008, 02:40 AM   #28
Loyal2Death
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Coming from a guy who didn't watch lucky star in Japanese I figured I'd watch the dub first.

Before I give my opinion I'll say that There are a few dubs I prefer over the regular subs. Trigun being one of them. I don't really have a preference as to what I'm watching as long as nothing is screwed up.

Anyway I watched the first episode and aside from being completely strange, I didn't think it was bad. I mean sure it sounded kind of forced, but I get the feeling that from watching an anime that was drawn the way Lucky Star was drawn that it should have that sort of effect.

Overall I'd say it sounds fine. I don't see what the big deal is. I'll go find it in Japanese I suppose, but I hardly think that will change my opinion.

Are you Loyal?
Nows the time to choose
Die and be free of pain.
Or live and fight your sorrow.
Loyal2Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-3-2008, 07:31 AM   #29
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku_god_of_fighting View Post
well i for one dont agree with goku sounding like a chick...goku is man not a chick ok thats final...hes not gay hes a man... and i feel very strongly about this...i watch the subbed version of a lost dbz and was so angry ..but i kinda forgot i was mad when the fighting started lol....but every time i noticed it was chick i got upset again. id rather fight along side goku and know hes not checkin me out thats why i dont agree with him sounding like a chick...
Even though I have a feeling I already addressed this point, and your comments were expressed in a profoundly stupid way, I'm going to touch on this.

Most young boys in animation are voiced by women. This is true all around the world. This is relevant because when the anime version of the comic called Dragon Ball began production, Goku was a child. Thus, the person doing his voice was a woman. Then, as the show progressed, they kept the same voice actor, even as Goku began to get older and older. By the time they started the part of the series then called Dragon Ball Z, Goku was clearly an adult (and a father, no less), yet they still kept the same voice actor. In fact, the very same woman did the voice of Gohan as a child as well, and a similar thing happened throughout DBZ as Gohan grew into an adult.

And yeah, I watched that episode and was rather entertained by the lot of it. Seems as though they did a great job on the voice acting, although I can't say whether or not the translation was accurate, although I must say that based on some of the things they said, it seemed as though it was.
Old 06-7-2008, 07:48 PM   #30
Maid
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Real question is. Who thought it would be good idea to dub a show that has myriad of Japanese only puns references etc that most likely get horribly bastardized by the dubs?

Majority of people who'd watch the dubs would likely never get most of the references/jokes and those that do will never bother watching this anyway. So yahhhhhhhhhh
/boggle

Last edited by Maid; 06-7-2008 at 07:51 PM..
Maid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-7-2008, 08:26 PM   #31
FictionJunction
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to FictionJunction Send a message via MSN to FictionJunction Send a message via Yahoo to FictionJunction Send a message via Skype™ to FictionJunction

Maid hit the actual problem.

Either way, this thread pretty much depicts everything I hate about most people who study japanese as a second, third, fourth, whatever language. And, yes, I'm studying japanese as my fourth.
FictionJunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-8-2008, 07:19 AM   #32
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Except that a simple interest in the language and even a beginner's handle (what most weeaboos have) is not enough to understand media such as this.

So it comes back to them relying on subtitles regardless.

And some of us hate reading **** and would rather just hear similar voices speaking in our native tongue.

And as far as Japan-only material, or puns getting lost in translation: take a look at FLCL. There are tons of things like that, but the dub handles them EXCELLENTLY, and even Americanizes Japan-only references without making it obscenely overt.

Also, I come back to my previous comment about DVD box sets. Regardless of the language a person wants to see the show in, it being licensed and released in America is the best way to see it, even if you want to see it in Japanese with subtitles.
Old 06-8-2008, 09:26 AM   #33
Xx{Midday}xX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Location: My own world. Miserable. Disgusting. Appalling. Pessimistic. Horrific. Terrible.

I happened to encounter a random episode of Death Note yesterday on adult swim. English dubs of course. It wasn't bad. The only thing I was concerned about was how they pronounced people's names... =/

What Maid said. If you take Touhou for example, the game has language that even normal Japanese people fail to read or understand, let alone grasp some of the puns intended by ZUN. The difference between dubs and subs is that good subs actually explain some of the puns and the untranslatable language somewhere (usually before the anime begins, they insert a slide). I really liked how the AIR subs (forgot which group) did that. Unfortunately, I don't know FLCL dubs, but from what I see, FLCL must be a huge exception.

EDIT: Oh, not that Touhou has any dubs... yet.

つまんないシグでスマソ(´・ω・`)

Last edited by Xx{Midday}xX; 06-8-2008 at 09:28 AM..
Old 06-8-2008, 08:33 PM   #34
Maid
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midday}xX View Post
I happened to encounter a random episode of Death Note yesterday on adult swim. English dubs of course. It wasn't bad. The only thing I was concerned about was how they pronounced people's names... =/
You are not alone, it strongly annoys me when someone mispronounce names. When seiyuu does it, it's just "bleh" and instant turn off.
Old 06-8-2008, 08:47 PM   #35
FictionJunction
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to FictionJunction Send a message via MSN to FictionJunction Send a message via Yahoo to FictionJunction Send a message via Skype™ to FictionJunction

I despise the mispronunciation but that is not enough to misjudge a dub. Either way, people who have an interest of Japan that sprouted from or because of anime just sicken me. There is so much more to it than that ;_;
Old 06-8-2008, 08:58 PM   #36
Xx{Midday}xX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I'm Japanese. I was born in Japan, and spent my first 6 years of life there. Went back there for short periods from time to time.

Food, air, water, society, school, media. Transcends what I currently experience in New York.

つまんないシグでスマソ(´・ω・`)
Old 06-8-2008, 09:20 PM   #37
Zythus
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

OH **** NO.

Americanized anything results in serious fail.

Then again, I never did like Lucky Star.
Zythus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-8-2008, 09:49 PM   #38
Maid
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FictionJunction View Post
I despise the mispronunciation but that is not enough to misjudge a dub. Either way, people who have an interest of Japan that sprouted from or because of anime just sicken me. There is so much more to it than that ;_;
My drive to learn Japanese was simple. I got into Manga but translations and being limited to choices, annoyed me enough that I went and studied so I could simply read originals.

It was definitely not a short affair but the gain was worth it.

As for being mania like. Don't matter to me much; well aware of "grass is greener syndrome" after all.

Edit: As for getting interested in Japan simply because of Anime is nothing to be sickened about. I don't understand your logic. Unless you meant the narutard variety of people. That is totally different.

Also Japanese have their faults as well. My major complaint is overuse of Engrish in songs. It sounds billion times better if you used your actual language, yet the abundance of Engrish is not letting up. This is of course from point of view who knows English. I am guessing it sounds hip to Japanese who don't know English too well? Does it really?

Last edited by Maid; 06-8-2008 at 10:00 PM..
Old 06-8-2008, 10:08 PM   #39
FictionJunction
FFR Player

Hasty generalization, etc. It's just 90% of the people I know who are studying japanese do it because they're weeaboos who are clueless about anything that's not anime related. These are people who go to Japan because they want the anime merchandise, go to the conventions, and simply be closer to its origin. Yeah, great, whatever.

I began learning japanese because of my japanese friends - not to mention I already had the pronunciation down due to my fleuncy in spanish. Japanese culture is something I love and absolutely hate. You learn a language to embrace a culture of your interest and communicate with its people - not because of their media. Maid's interest in japanese is the same as a scholar's interest in learning latin. I don't have a problem with that as long as its not your drive throughout the whole process. Japan isn't 'anime,' and a lot of people forget that or simply don't realize it.

Sure, I watch anime, but only as a means to improve my listening skills. Nothing more, nothing less. If a good story comes along with it then so much the better. Lucky Star is perfect for it because the speech is so colloquial unlike action animes.
Old 06-9-2008, 09:05 AM   #40
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FictionJunction View Post
Yeah.

Like Super Sentai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zythus View Post
OH **** NO.

Americanized anything results in serious fail.
Funny, because FLCL is widely regarded as one of few successful dubs, and many parts of it were Americanized. The puns in the manga sections, and references only Japanese folks would understand (such as references to Japanese bands or the whole Cherio -> Crystal Pepsi thing; there's also that chop sticks -> sporks thing I think). In fact, I don't think there is a single thing in FLCL which only a Japanese person would understand that was not Americanized in the dub, and yet the dub is renowned as an example of a good dubbing.

And honestly, I probably would have been pissed off if the lost-in-translation puns were directly translated in the dub. That would just be ****ing stupid. And as far as "but good fansubs explain things like that", do you know how ****ing stupid it is to have to have a ****ING PUN EXPLAINED TO YOU?

Quote:
Also Japanese have their faults as well. My major complaint is overuse of Engrish in songs. It sounds billion times better if you used your actual language, yet the abundance of Engrish is not letting up. This is of course from point of view who knows English. I am guessing it sounds hip to Japanese who don't know English too well? Does it really?
The same way you think Japanese "[sounds a] billion times better", they think English sounds better. You know how random Chinese/Japanese characters are scrawled across shirts here? It's the mirror opposite over there. We're intrigued by Eastern culture, they're intrigued by Western.

Quote:
not to mention I already had the pronunciation down due to my fleuncy in spanish.
Proper pronunciation differs from Spanish in many ways, most obviously in my mind at present are consonants, perhaps most notably being 'r'.