Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should Crowdpleaser be Removed from Public Level Ranks?
Yes 67 56.30%
No 46 38.66%
Undecided 6 5.04%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2014, 10:58 PM   #1
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

Default On the Removal of Crowdpleaser from Level Ranks

Yes, crowdpleaser has had a long history of being a controversial chart. There are reasons to keep it in the ranks and there are reasons to keep it out. I put forth that crowd pleaser should, however, be placed in token rankings for it's joke/novelty nature and the massive amount of cheated FC's on the chart.

Crowdpleaser holds a whopping 299 FC's. This amount is certainly greater than the number of people who can FC a trill of that speed. Through simple methods I will not describe here, I believe rampant cheating on this chart is the #1 reason to remove it from the public ranks. There is no way to filter out the good scores from the cheats at this point, so remove the entire chart from the public ranks, and let the scores stand in the token ranks.

There would be many other pros and cons to this suggestion. What do you think? I will add a poll shortly after this is posted for the community to weigh in.

Should CP be removed from the public ranks?

TheSaxRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:17 PM   #2
i love you
Live a wonderful life~
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: On the Removal of Crowdpleaser from Level Ranks

It should definitely be removed off public ranks. That vibrating section has got to be the biggest joke ever.

I also would like to see Death Piano and RATO off public ranks as well but that's for a different thread.
i love you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:23 PM   #3
Dynam0
The Dominator
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Rationale behind this is...

Remove file that is too hard? Dumb idea and subject to change at any time imo. We would've removed any files that were impossible to AAA back in 2006 with this mentality. (100-bar blackout and nova pulsar as examples)

Remove file that is horribly inaccurate? Have fun removing most of legacy and being subjective of the entire process for most other files too.

imo make better choices about what files go in game next time. Moving these to tokens is fine but looking into the future it's obvious that Public Ranks = PA skills and Token Ranks = Speed skills granted that we solve the much larger issue which is FUCKING COMBO SCORING JESUS CHRIST

We would be better off having everything under ONE ranking system and not this divide between friendly songs and tokens but w.e

Last edited by Dynam0; 02-12-2014 at 11:27 PM..
Dynam0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:57 PM   #4
justin_ator
🥓<strong><span style="col
Resident Overseer
FFR Veteran

I don't think a song that is stepped accurately should be removed from public ranks, regardless of difficulty.

That being said,

Crowdpleaser is NOT a proper step file...
Old 02-13-2014, 12:22 AM   #5
Ohaider
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

kinda makes the game look bad/less professional in my opinion haha, moving to legacy would be suitable
Old 02-13-2014, 12:22 AM   #6
KrazyKitsune
FFR Player
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Kind of irrelevant to the discussion at hand, but I'm not a real fan of the token level ranks becoming something of a dumping ground for bad files. I mean, if a file has to be moved to the token level ranks because it's a bad file, it might just be better to remove it from the game instead.
KrazyKitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:15 AM   #7
omega_grunt666
Nescio quid faciam
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKitsune View Post
Kind of irrelevant to the discussion at hand, but I'm not a real fan of the token level ranks becoming something of a dumping ground for bad files. I mean, if a file has to be moved to the token level ranks because it's a bad file, it might just be better to remove it from the game instead.
I wouldn't explicitly call it a bad file, but its certainly a gimmick. And there are tons of those already in the token ranks, it would fit in just fine. Its nice to have some different challenges available, without making average ranks a nightmare.(Re: Token Whore, Marisa, Wises, etc)
Old 02-13-2014, 01:17 AM   #8
Herogashix
Descension from Heaven
FFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

If it was a roll instead of a trill, it'd be a different story.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:41 AM   #9
EzExZeRo7497
FFR Veteran

I honestly want to see Crowdpleaser removed from the game along with a couple of other files (p4u v1, vROFL) for being near (or flat out) impossible to do physically (on a normal setup) rather than just putting them into token levelranks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynam0 View Post

Remove file that is too hard? Dumb idea and subject to change at any time imo. We would've removed any files that were impossible to AAA back in 2006 with this mentality. (100-bar blackout and nova pulsar as examples)
There is a difference between physically impossible and impossible due to a bug in the game (even then, the bug was fixed and I'm pretty sure there were plans in the making of fixing the bug to begin with). I think Death Piano and RATO should still be in public levelranks, since the files are still AAA'able (albeit to a very very very small minority, 1-2 people at most) and I don't think just because only 1 or 2 people have the potential to AAA it would mean that it should be the token levelranks, that's pretty silly. Besides, in the future I'm pretty sure there would be more than just 1 or 2 people who could AAA RATO and Death Piano.

...whereas Crowdpleaser is near impossible to AAA on a normal setup for years to come. I know that Dossar and Zeta have AAA'd the trill, but no one else is close to AAAing and I don't think there'd be any more people who are able to nail the trill (and the entire file in general) through a normal setup any time soon because vibration speed isn't really something you can improve on and 240 BPM is pretty out of reach for 99.99% of FFR/SM players. The fact that you actually need to use an unconventional playing style (overlay, double setup) just shows how silly and gimmicky the file is.

Swapping Crowdpleaser v1 with v2 would be the second best option, of course. Same with Revolutionary Etude, but to much less of an extent. Seriously though, we should be concentrating more on the fact that we should have raw scoring instead of combo scoring, these issues wouldn't be such a big deal if it weren't for this

Last edited by EzExZeRo7497; 02-13-2014 at 01:44 AM..
EzExZeRo7497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:44 AM   #10
VisD
FFR Simfile Author

Not the first time this topic has come up, every time the consensus is the same, but it's never done

Please just move CP to Tokens. Whether or not v2 becomes a public file and the original becomes a token to be unlocked after achieving some requirement on v2 is beside the point, which is: there's no good reason for a file like this to be stenching up the public file list. A fair argument can be made for blue note legacy files, but very little in the case of Crowdpleaser.

VisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:40 AM   #11
omega_grunt666
Nescio quid faciam
FFR Veteran

Eze +1

DP/Rato still have somewhat competitive leader boards, you can improve on those files and they are what will make the difference between players who can AAA all the rest (once there is more than one.) CP will forever be a gimmick file that can be overcome with gimmick double layouts.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:44 AM   #12
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I don't think moving it to tokens is the answer. I think moving it out of all level ranks is the real answer. I can't think of a single reason why BNS or Crowdpleaser should be in the ranks anywhere.

I would also recommend moving it to legacy over token.
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:46 AM   #13
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

has Legacy been taken off public ranks yet?
Pseudo Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:49 AM   #14
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

no
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:13 AM   #15
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynam0 View Post

Remove file that is horribly inaccurate? Have fun removing most of legacy and being subjective of the entire process for most other files too.

imo make better choices about what files go in game next time. Moving these to tokens is fine but looking into the future it's obvious that Public Ranks = PA skills and Token Ranks = Speed skills granted that we solve the much larger issue which is FUCKING COMBO SCORING JESUS CHRIST

We would be better off having everything under ONE ranking system and not this divide between friendly songs and tokens but w.e
My main reason was neither of these, and there has been little duscussion over the legitimacy of many of those FC's. Even a D2 player can FC this song if they cheat the trill, and I beleive about 200 of those FC's (and possibly some non-FC's), are cheated.

TheSaxRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:29 AM   #16
Crazyjayde
FFR Veteran
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNya View Post
I don't think moving it to tokens is the answer. I think moving it out of all level ranks is the real answer. I can't think of a single reason why BNS or Crowdpleaser should be in the ranks anywhere.

I would also recommend moving it to legacy over token.
Exactly. And I'm gonna be even more leftist and say the Legacy songs should have been removed from the level ranks a while ago.
I can't even AAA SSSG after five years. Do it for the sake of people.
Crazyjayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:35 AM   #17
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

"leftist"
if that's extreme left then where does it put me when I say those songs should be removed from the game completely? Most of the legacy songs make this game look childish and unprofessional.
Pseudo Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:43 AM   #18
Jimmymi
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Jimmymi

why should we remove it just because some scrubs cant vibrate?
Old 02-13-2014, 05:45 AM   #19
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to noname219

Imo, level ranks (and your ffr average rank) serve as an indication of the skill of the player. Crowdpleaser isn't a chart that can properly measure your skill. And it's not a chart appropriate for newcomers nor it is for D7 players.

RATO and DP are useful to measure the most skilled players.
noname219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:18 AM   #20
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

As one of the low-skill crappy players apparently being defended by removing Crowdpleaser from the ranks: please don't.

The purpose that Crowdpleaser serves, and serves well is precisely -that- it is actually fairly straightforward and not that hard except for the bursts and the wall. I've used it as an example to non-players dozens of times of "You think the song I just played was hard, look at this!"

It is a song where even if the bursts and the wall were changed to be less trilly and more rolly or whatever would make it "easier" would still be beyond the VAST VAST majority of people who play this game (And remember, you're comparing all of these stats, including the 270-whatever FCs against the fact that thousands of people play FFR without ever making an account or logging in)

Seeing a song like that, where you see the wall and go "Nope, that is literally impossible" and then find out "Oh except there are a couple people who can do it" is actually very motivating in a way that just "Yeah, if this song were slow, I could totally do it, I'm just not fast enough" like you get from songs like Death Piano, really isn't.

We need a few things in the game that new players will think are impossible so that when they found out it is possible, have something big to work towards.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote