Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Films and Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2008, 01:04 AM   #1
l Endorphin l
Maybe
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Lucky Star is getting Dubbed by Bandai.

Just in case nobody knew.

Chick who did Fuu and Haruko is Kagami.
A lot of the original Haruhi cast is in there...same with the Japanese version I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1smSoy-hWvc

Not too bad I must say.
Discuss!!!
l Endorphin l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 01:05 AM   #2
Coolboyrulez0
VICES
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Default Re: Lucky Star is getting Dubbed by Bandai.

>_<
O god no. The anime that made me stop watching anime comes to america.
Great. just great.
[that's kinda biased, sorry. the dub itself is not to bad though but, well, its anime... ]
Coolboyrulez0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 02:00 AM   #3
Izzy
Snek

It's pretty awful. Id like it if they found some voices that better matched their character it would be ok. I guess most people wont like it if they have seen it in japanese first.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 02:09 AM   #4
l Endorphin l
Maybe

You have to admit.....It could be a lot worse.
l Endorphin l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 02:53 PM   #5
Xx{Midday}xX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Location: My own world. Miserable. Disgusting. Appalling. Pessimistic. Horrific. Terrible.
Send a message via AIM to Xx{Midday}xX Send a message via MSN to Xx{Midday}xX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
It's pretty awful. Id like it if they found some voices that better matched their character it would be ok. I guess most people wont like it if they have seen it in japanese first.
YES.

I mean, where did Kagami's tsundere go? Seriously. I don't even want to hear the other voices... Basically, English accent has limits to what could be represented by pure voice in Japanese. You can't pull off a tsundere in English without becoming more shy than a tsundere defines. In this case, Kagami sounds like some naggy indecent girl, and not my favorite moe=tsundere. I can't possibly imagine how they pull off Valentine's Day. By the way, sig pic=Kagami. XD Avatar=Konata discolored to be Hatsune Miku. XDD

In other Lucky Star news, 6th manga coming out soon.

つまんないシグでスマソ(´・ω・`)

Last edited by Xx{Midday}xX; 04-20-2008 at 02:56 PM..
Xx{Midday}xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:53 AM   #6
Nyokou
( ̄ー ̄)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Nyokou

Good thing I've watched it already.

My brothers are the only ones who enjoy watching dubs... since they're slow readers.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:59 AM   #7
omgitznpv
cohoooooon

Send a message via AIM to omgitznpv Send a message via MSN to omgitznpv

Midday that was the first tl;dr post you ever made.

There is not a SINGLE dub that I've ever came close to liking. This is no exception :<
omgitznpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:21 AM   #8
Xx{Midday}xX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Location: My own world. Miserable. Disgusting. Appalling. Pessimistic. Horrific. Terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitznpv View Post
Midday that was the first tl;dr post you ever made.

There is not a SINGLE dub that I've ever came close to liking. This is no exception :<
tl;dr...?

Just in case if what I said was misleading or something... I HATE DUBS. I was using Kagami's as an example.

つまんないシグでスマソ(´・ω・`)
Old 04-21-2008, 12:41 PM   #9
Nyokou
( ̄ー ̄)
FFR Veteran

Too long; didn't read.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:34 PM   #10
Chromer
Hookers and Blow
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Chromer Send a message via Yahoo to Chromer

God you people (cept Nyo) make me feel glad that I slowly moved away from anime to just manga only. There are plenty of dubs that are on par with the original Japanese or even surpasses it. An example of one: Cowboy Bebop. Even the lead director of CB said that he felt the dub was even better then the original cast themselves. The chick who did Haruko and Fuu doing Kagami? I just exploded. I literally thought of her doing Kagami the moment saw the title of this thread. Of course I've already seen the show but this makes me want to watch it all over again.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:34 PM   #11
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromer View Post
God you people (cept Nyo) make me feel glad that I slowly moved away from anime to just manga only. There are plenty of dubs that are on par with the original Japanese or even surpasses it. An example of one: Cowboy Bebop. Even the lead director of CB said that he felt the dub was even better then the original cast themselves. The chick who did Haruko and Fuu doing Kagami? I just exploded. I literally thought of her doing Kagami the moment saw the title of this thread. Of course I've already seen the show but this makes me want to watch it all over again.
Thank you.

Also, FLCL. The only real difference between the American and Japanese dub is that the American script removed esoteric references that only people who live in Japan would understand. The vocal performances are spot on with the Japanese analogues and the script is a rather faithful translation.

Just because it's a dub doesn't mean it's worse. Stop being stupid. This one looks just fine, and as long as the translations are actually translations it should be good.

It's one thing to hate the craptastic dubs that aren't even translations (like Dragon Ball Z or how about basically any anime ever to be widely popular), but to automatically hate all dubs is just ****ing stupid.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:04 PM   #12
Nyokou
( ̄ー ̄)
FFR Veteran

Aww thanks Chromie.

But yeah, I agree with Chromer and Afrobean.

I watched The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya with subs over spring break. I loved it so much that I rewatched it again with subs and then I watched the dubbed version. The voices were extremely well done, as well as the dialogue. I loved it. Even in some places, I was surprised to hear them say the lines that I had read in the fansubbed versions... and I was like... Wow, that's exactly how they said it in Japanese, except they said it in English.

Dubs aren't terrible. It's almost as if you god damn otakus treat the Japanese language/culture/etc. as being supreme and almighty. It just pisses the hell out of me.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:35 PM   #13
Frozen Beat
coLSBMidday, zerg sc2 pro
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Beat Send a message via MSN to Frozen Beat

Sweet, I just don't hope they don't mess up the voice acting.

Feel several different pains, before they're colored pure red
Make a little chance! Start connecting us into to tomorrow, ready and go!
No matter how many times I keep going down, in these unending rounds
I'm gonna keep up! We can create hope, it's our story!
Frozen Beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:24 PM   #14
Relambrien
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Relambrien Send a message via MSN to Relambrien

Eh, the voice acting...leaves something to be desired. I can't speak for any of the translations yet, but if the lines actually -are- translations, then I shouldn't have any problems with it.

Also, the only show I've seen which I thought had a superior dub than sub was Rurouni Kenshin. Kenshin's Japanese voice made me want to throw up, while his English voice actually fit pretty well.

Then again, I haven't seen many dubs.

EDIT: Actually, FMA was pretty good too. And Yu Yu Hakusho.

I really don't have any problems with dubs just by the fact that they're dubs--but with a trend of totally ****ing up a show due to either terrible VAs or horrible lines, you have to admit their track record isn't exactly stellar.

Last edited by Relambrien; 04-22-2008 at 02:03 PM..
Relambrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:29 PM   #15
Xx{Midday}xX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

First impression is a powerful figure... I never gave dubbing a chance really. The only dubs I appreciated were the French dubs for Howl's Moving Castle. No, I don't think that Japanese is dominant/superior in any way. I just like the maintenance of original concept.

Hmm, come to think of it, I do think Japan is much better in most aspects than America. School, media, food, air. -_- I would so much rather live in Japan than in NY. As a NYer, I don't understand why Japanese people who live in Japan dream of America so much. But then again, now I realize that Japanese people would go "Why do Americans want to go to Japan so much?" lol

つまんないシグでスマソ(´・ω・`)

Last edited by Xx{Midday}xX; 04-21-2008 at 09:54 PM..
Old 04-21-2008, 10:50 PM   #16
Gundam-Dude
`~`
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

To be honest, they destroy most animes once they dub it into English. North American voice actors either lack enthusiasm or have too much, which I find annoying, while Japanese voice actors have a perfect tone of voice. (e.g. Japanese Pokemon > English Pokemon)

Lucky Star is no exception. When I saw the English trailer, I couldn't handle the voice acting which I can only describe as "ducks being strangled while being boiled in a pot of water". Thanks to that, my ears bled. They absolutely destroyed Lucky Star, though I already knew this was coming.

Also, the English dub for Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya) is byfar one of the worst dubbings I've ever heard in my opinion. I'm surprised I still have the English dubbed episodes on my computer. Though, I do get a cheap laugh or two from the voice acting at how horrible it sounds.

On a somewhat related note, North Americans fail to pronounce Japanese names.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTuqR3TiOMQ

(Download My Magnum Opus, Solo Kpop Pack!)

My Simfiles (4key & 6key)

Last edited by Gundam-Dude; 04-21-2008 at 10:52 PM..
Gundam-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:43 AM   #17
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundam-Dude View Post
To be honest, they destroy most animes once they dub it into English. North American voice actors either lack enthusiasm or have too much, which I find annoying, while Japanese voice actors have a perfect tone of voice. (e.g. Japanese Pokemon > English Pokemon)
No ****.

Most people wouldn't even put Pokemon in the same grouping as reasonable anime that is actually worth caring about as a representation of the anime genre.

That said, despite entertainment value this show can give you, the fact that anyone would get their knickers in a twist over a version of the show that they probably will never watch more than once is absurd. It is a show about students, slice of life style. As long as the general feeling of the show comes through in the English REVERSIONING, chill the **** out. You know you won't watch it anyway, so just let the people who will watch it enjoy it.

Seriously, we're not talking about Pokemon or One Piece or Dragon Ball Z here, and it is just moronic to make claims of it being in the same league BEFORE IT EVEN HAS COME OUT. It could just as easily prove itself to be in the league of Cowboy Bebop or FLCL. And even if it doesn't, the ONE way they could **** it up would be by inappropriate voices, and frankly, the voices in the short clip seem to fit just fine, and you're just being stupid because you're used to the Japanese voices. For instance, on Dragon Ball Z, Goku is voiced by a woman AND SOME PEOPLE ACTUALLY PREFER IT JUST BECAUSE IT IS THE ORIGINAL VOICE.
Quote:
Lucky Star is no exception. When I saw the English trailer, I couldn't handle the voice acting which I can only describe as "ducks being strangled while being boiled in a pot of water". Thanks to that, my ears bled. They absolutely destroyed Lucky Star, though I already knew this was coming.
**** you.

Quote:
Also, the English dub for Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya) is byfar one of the worst dubbings I've ever heard in my opinion. I'm surprised I still have the English dubbed episodes on my computer. Though, I do get a cheap laugh or two from the voice acting at how horrible it sounds.
Take a look at Dragon Ball Z, especially the early stuff. The vocals were pretty bad, the scripts were as far from translation as they could be (they literally had them saying TOTALLY wrong things), and how about removal of blood or even mild TOTALLY INNOCENT nudity.

Take a look at Pokemon that has neglected to even do certain episodes due to the content of them, including one that left a MAJOR ****ING PLOT HOLE (ie Ash SUDDENLY OUT OF NOWHERE has caught a ton of Tauros and it NEVER happened in the show, because his adventure in the Safari Zone was never aired because of the other content of the episode).

Take a look at EVERYTHING of One Piece before Funimation took over. And that's how you know it was ****ty, that Funimation could take over the raping of it and it actually turn out MUCH better (note: Funimation was the ones responsible for the rape of DBZ, although I must admit that they got a lot better since their early days of DBZ destruction).

Quote:
On a somewhat related note, North Americans fail to pronounce Japanese names.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTuqR3TiOMQ
That has nothing to do with anything, especially since the instance you've cited seems to be on an advertisement of some kind. For instance, they pronounce Naruto's name correctly in the show, but I don't think I've ever seen an advert where the voice over announcer person pronounces the name of the show correctly.

ps this show seems to me like they're trying to create pedophiles 8)

EDIT: HOLY ****ING **** ****

You dumbasses. The voices they use in the Japanese version would never fly in English. It works over there, but if they spoke with the same inflection in English, they'd sound like they're on drugs... and helium...

EDIT: yeah definitely the voices used are just fine stop being ****ing stupid because you have a hard on for the original

EDIT: One final note: with the show actually being licensed in America, it opens the door for people like me who enjoy not stealing, and actually paying a little bit to get a little more. In other words, you jackasses who are bitching will be able to get this on DVD now, or you would if you weren't all pirates.

Last edited by Afrobean; 04-22-2008 at 07:54 AM..
Afrobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:09 PM   #18
Nyokou
( ̄ー ̄)
FFR Veteran

I lol'd so ****ing hard.

I was going to say something, but I decided to let Afrobean post... and everything he pretty much said, I agree with. You're probably all just mad at the dubs that were destroyed in the 90's. >__> At least it isn't as bad now as it was then. Especially with Sailor Moon. I loved Sailor Moon when I was a kid, but after I grew up and all and watched the subbed seasons... I realized how crappy it had been as a dub, but I still love it and always will because that is the reason I started watching anime in the first place. Hell, you idiots probably had no clue what anime was (if you live in America, Canada, Britain, etc. whatever) until you saw the dubbed versions on TV.

There are tons of really good dubbed shows that I've watched and I thought they were so good that I didn't even bother watching the originals. Seriously, and Haruhi being horrible? Please. The voice actors were terrific. I had no problem with any of their voices. What makes them so "terrible"? I would love to hear your explanation? Does the English language ****ing disgust you or something? If so, then get the hell out of Canada, please. Go fly yourself to Japan and I'd like to see you survive there as some anime otaku wapanese bitch, but guess what? Those kind of people are just as much outcasts in Japan as they are in any other country.

But wait, there's more.

Let me bitch about how terrible Japanese people sound trying to sing or talk in English. Watch Black Lagoon, or even before that... listen to the opening theme song and search out the lyrics on Google. They are just as bad as us.

Japanese culture is different than other cultures.

Voices are different, etc.

As long as the dubs translate everything nicely and the voice actors capture the essence of the character, but add a little Western twist to it... it's all good. It's enjoyable. It's better than having to read ****ing subtitles, pausing to read all the time, and missing most of what happens in a scene.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:42 PM   #19
Chromer
Hookers and Blow
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Chromer Send a message via Yahoo to Chromer

LOL I was going to post a very long and hate filled post but I think Nyo and Afro took care of it for me. Also, YOU ARE NOT JAPANESE. YOU ARE AMERICAN. Stop trying to live in a fantasy world where you think living in Japan is just like living in an anime. It's not. The Japanese have their own share of problems just as we do.

Last edited by Chromer; 04-22-2008 at 01:46 PM..
Chromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:47 PM   #20
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MalReynolds

God, Chromer. No they don't. They all jump like, sixty feet high and can collapse buildings with their minds. Also, they're all really special, gifted orphans that live at a bath house.

Everyone in Japan.

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Maledictions: The Offering.

Now in Paperback!
MalReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote