Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2022, 09:05 PM   #1
Tantive72
Horse
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Tantive72 Send a message via Yahoo to Tantive72 Send a message via Skype™ to Tantive72
Default What do mechanical keyboards feel like?

My only computers have ever been laptops with crappy keyboards (I get that's kinda redundant). I've never owned a "gaming" mechanical keyboard before, but they look cool. I hear people talk about linear switches, clicky switches, and tactile switches but I have absolutely no idea what that means.

What does playing FFR on a mechanical keyboard feel like?

i have a website now too:
https://codenametostr.com/

Until next time, have a happy BEAT PLAY LIFE
Tantive72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:26 PM   #2
Matthia
🍍Pineapple Man🍍
Difficulty ConsultantFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: What do mechanical keyboards feel like?

I've been one who has transitioned from being a laptop keyboard player to a mech player recently, and I can say that even though hitting the keys felt a lot more 'solid' than usual, the first time I tried using a mech keyboard, pushing the keys down with more force was pretty tough to get used to

Matthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:31 PM   #3
Tantive72
Horse
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Tantive72 Send a message via Yahoo to Tantive72 Send a message via Skype™ to Tantive72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthia View Post
I've been one who has transitioned from being a laptop keyboard player to a mech player recently, and I can say that even though hitting the keys felt a lot more 'solid' than usual, the first time I tried using a mech keyboard, pushing the keys down with more force was pretty tough to get used to
Interesting, thanks. I really like how light laptop keys are, but they're the worst for hitting jacks. The heavier keys does seem like that takes some time to get used to.

Old 04-21-2022, 10:29 PM   #4
Dolletta
Carpal Tunnel Speedrunner
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthia View Post
I've noticed that it uses more force too but I prefer it overall. If you ever find yourself missing you laptop keys, playing over a thin cover like a pillowcase replicates the feeling. It also dampens the sounds if your mechanical keyboard smashing is too much for a roommate, haha.

Last edited by Dolletta; 04-21-2022 at 10:29 PM..
Dolletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 11:33 PM   #5
trumaestro
I don't get no respect
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

You're asking a notoriously difficult question to answer. I'm pretty sure consensus remains that mechanical keyboards are superior in pretty much every way to membrane keyboards, but the actual feel is something you just have to experience for yourself. If you know anyone with a mechanical keyboard definitely ask if you can do a typing test or play some FFR to try it out. Other consensus is that no one ever really goes back to a membrane keyboard by choice, so it's a good investment especially if you use your computer a lot for other tasks too.

Be warned that mechanical keyboards can quickly become an expensive customization rabbit hole. Virtually every single piece can be bought a la carte. Just starting out, you'd be much better served with virtually any whole pre-built keyboard you can buy.

Switch types are pretty self-explanatory. Linear switches are probably the most like membrane keyboards, with no real feedback in a key press until you hit the bottom, feels basically the same all the way down. Tactile switches have a more noticeable bump you can feel part way down a key press closer to where it actually sends the key signal. Clicky switches make a click on each key press and can be very loud.

For rhythm games it becomes much more about feel. I've owned 2 mechanical keyboards, one with Cherry mx Brown switches (tactile) and one with Cherry mx Red switches(linear). Between the two I would personally recommend linears. The Brown switches are heavier but I felt I had more control, but with the Red ones I have much more speed. Your results may vary.

tl;dr get a pre-built mechanical keyboard with cherry mx red switches or similar, it's well worth it
trumaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 01:02 AM   #6
mellonxcollie
Sectional Moderator
TGB Queen
Sectional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mellonxcollie Send a message via MSN to mellonxcollie Send a message via Skype™ to mellonxcollie

kinda springy? is the best way I can describe it. the keys spring up by themselves and don't have that little depression period. it's like they are always in the same spot even after I have typed quickly. I have blue switches

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
people like you are how trump gets elected
mellonxcollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 05:37 AM   #7
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger

best way to word it imo:

When slowly pressing keys, you will instantly find that overall, it takes less force/work to get a key press out of the key. In fact, you only have to press the key down about 40% of the way in order to produce a key press from it, which is quite weird. Most non-mechanical keyboards require full compression of the key to produce a key press, or at least >80% of the key pushed down.

Also, non-mechanicals are 'snappy' in nature. Meaning, they go from uncompressed to compressed super easily. With mechanicals, you can finely control at a slow speed how far you press the key in without effort.

When pressing keys fast, you will find more resistance pushing keys on a mechanical keyboard all the way down more taxing, usually because heavier weight, higher quality components, etc.

- Tosh 2014

gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 09:10 AM   #8
AAAorQUIT
FFR Player

Literally recently just got a mechanical not too long before this thread. I can say that it has helped me improved severely. They feel much more clicky when compared to membrane and from my experience a lot smoother, But the way the keyboard feels depends on the key caps and switches. If you are going to switch to mechanical, make sure to do research on that type of stuff.

To summaraize. Keyboard feel depends on components. Its a pretty "You have to try it for your self" type of thing.
Old 04-22-2022, 09:52 AM   #9
Tantive72
Horse
FFR Veteran

Thanks for all the responses! They're very helpful. I'm def going to look into trying one out when I can. I have a lot to learn first lol.

Old 04-22-2022, 11:18 AM   #10
PhantomPuppy
Washed and Irrelevant D7
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

i've dabbled in mx reds, blues, blacks, and browns. gotta say the worst was definitely blacks, i would avoid those. they are insanely loud and way too linear, which was fine for rhythm games but horrible for daily use/typing.

imo the most balanced one between good rhythm game feel and daily use is probably browns. they're also not quite as loud as the other options if you have roommates.

10th OT (D3): 13th
11th OT (D6): 11th
12th OT (D6): 6th
13th OT (D7): 31st
14th OT (D7): 25th
15th OT (D7): LAST PLACE
16th OT (D7): LAST PLACE LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
you know what they say

under all the rust is really shiny...……… metal
PhantomPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote