Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-8-2009, 06:03 PM   #1
super kid
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to super kid Send a message via Yahoo to super kid
Default Illiterate America

In my English class we are doing a lot of readings on illiteracy in America. It is a big problem and more than 92 million Americans have low or very low literacy skills. I just want to get what everyone's point of view is on this subject, and how you believe it hurts the country.

Edit: In America I mean the United States.

http://education-portal.com/articles...n_Society.html

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Shamef...erica&id=23757

http://lci.typepad.com/leaders_resou...-literacy.html

Last edited by super kid; 11-8-2009 at 06:15 PM..
super kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-8-2009, 06:09 PM   #2
foilman8805
smoke wheat hail satin
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Illiterate America

Please provide some reasonable (and credible) statistical evidence that supports that claim. I'll be more willing to discuss the implications of this with a bit of fact at hand.

You're saying that a very, very large portion of the population struggles with reading issues...I just want to make sure that's actually correct.

EDIT: I'm aware you mean the United States.

Last edited by foilman8805; 11-8-2009 at 06:11 PM..
foilman8805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-8-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
Izzy
Snek

The united states has around a 99.7% literacy rate. I don't think it is hurting anyone but the individuals themselves.

edit: nvm the sources I found only say 99%

Last edited by Izzy; 11-8-2009 at 06:12 PM..
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-8-2009, 06:15 PM   #4
super kid
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to super kid Send a message via Yahoo to super kid

Links in first post. I really just want to know how you think illiteracy a problem and how it can hurt people in the United States.
super kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-8-2009, 07:59 PM   #5
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

Quote:
This government study showed that 21% to 23% of adult Americans were not "able to locate information in text", could not "make low-level inferences using printed materials", and were unable to "integrate easily identifiable pieces of information."
Maybe not illiterate, but certainly literacy deficient.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-8-2009, 08:55 PM   #6
vantilburg
lol internet
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to vantilburg Send a message via MSN to vantilburg

Just how inept would one have to be with reading to be considered illiterate? Would it be being able to read the material, regardless of the time required, or would it be able to analyze the material and understand what it's saying?
Because cognition varies on many levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaguchiTheCat View Post
You are an ultimate humafag. Calling you an ultimate humafag is an understatement. You are a complete loonatic huma****! You should be shot with a bazooka for thinking this.
You've been hanging around the wrong furries, then. Most furries are nice people. ALL humafags are huge jerks. Environmentalists are good people who care about this planet, unlike you, Squeek.
vantilburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-8-2009, 10:15 PM   #7
foilman8805
smoke wheat hail satin

super kid, maybe you should start by sharing your own viewpoint with us. Stimulate a little discussion?
foilman8805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-9-2009, 04:59 PM   #8
Syhto
BuMP it
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Syhto

Even if there is a problem with illiteracy in the united states, what more are you going to do? Children are mandated by law to attend school. Even parents are being thrown in jail over these things. I'm assuming most of the illiteracy issues stem from those with special needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tao of Dossar
I never self-reflect, and therefore, I have no negative thoughts about myself. However I am also aware about my successes.
Syhto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:44 AM   #9
reuben_tate
Kawaii Desu Ne?
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

There is not much we can do. Many of the illerate (or should I say literate deficient) people can't properly read and write either because they are too lazy to learn or they have some mental health condition.

Not happening now! Don't click to join!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
(^)> peck peck says the heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX
And god made ben, and realized he was doomed to miss. And said it was good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakvvv666
awww :< crushing my dreams; was looking foward to you attempting to shoot yourself point blank and missing
reuben_tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:33 PM   #10
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Well, if we look at the trends, from studies I have read, literacy is about as high now as it was 30 and 40 years ago, maybe even higher in certain areas (e.g. quantitative skills).

So if America is illiterate, it has always been illiterate.

Is it even possible to change this without increasing the intelligence of the country? Probably, but there's a limit. A certain portion of the population is always going to be illiterate; their IQ is too low to ever be literate. Many people that are also borderline in intelligence are never going to do well enough in school to become literate, and most of their parents are unintelligent as well.

The easiest way to increase literacy would be to...increase the intelligence of the country as a whole, but good luck putting into motion a plan that would restrict reproduction in those that are less able.

So yeah, it's a problem in that the greater the portion of illiterate people in the population, the greater the portion of people unable to do skilled work, which contributes to GDP, quality of living, etc.

However, given that America is pretty much on top of the totem pole in these terms, I can't seriously see it as a problem, at least speaking relative to other countries. I would worry more about the literacy rates in poor countries, which would severely hamper their ability to develop skilled work in medicine and business etc.

Last edited by Reach; 11-29-2009 at 09:38 PM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:03 PM   #11
Izzy
Snek

Maybe companies should stop hiring people who aren't capable of adequately doing the work they need to.

Let natural selection roll in a little and things should work out. People will be more driven to become more literate then they are over the generations and possibly america will become a little more intelligent as a whole.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:03 PM   #12
Crashfan3
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Crashfan3 Send a message via Skype™ to Crashfan3

True, Izzy, but even the most brain-dead can get jobs serving up burgers and fries.

Plus, even if the parents can't make money, that still doesn't stop them from making stupid decisions (since they're stupid), and having seven or eight children. Those children have seven or eight children, and so on... it's a disease that can't be cured.

We can create dams to keep the river held back, but we can't stop the mighty flow, so to speak.

The only way I can think of to greatly reduce the problem, as immature as it sounds, is with some kind of Hitler scenario, or some other form of massive human intervention.

The chances of that happening again in the next century are unlikely, which is a good thing. The last thing modern humanity needs is more genocide.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:09 PM   #13
Izzy
Snek

I don't believe that children are doomed from the get go. People are stupid because of their lack of motivation or education. I think the child of two unintelligent people can be educated to the point of excellent literacy.

Literacy is a concept of knowledge and knowledge is gained after birth, not inherited.

I understand there is a point after being born that makes it nearly impossible to learn how to speak. But there have been cases of completely feral children being taught how to read and understand a language.

It's possible that stupid people are most likely not well off and would then give less education opportunities for their children, but that seems like the only issue to me.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:33 PM   #14
Crashfan3
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Crashfan3 Send a message via Skype™ to Crashfan3

Yeah, but how many kids born in situations like even think that's possible for them?

Every now and then you hear about some charitable organization picking one or two kids out of poverty and giving them a good home, and they turn out all right, or some kid who's determined and dedicated to make something out of himself actually succeeds.

Unfortunately, most of the time, it's seems to be "like father, like son". Dad's a drunken, unemployed hopeless wreck, and so Billy ends up the same way.

I know there's no facts or statistics to back that statement up (that I know of anyway), but to put it simply: genetics gives them a bad start, and while there may be a glimmer of hope, an environment that discourages learning, or some other form of abusive environment, generally kills that last bit of hope off.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:38 PM   #15
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I don't believe that children are doomed from the get go. People are stupid because of their lack of motivation or education. I think the child of two unintelligent people can be educated to the point of excellent literacy.

Literacy is a concept of knowledge and knowledge is gained after birth, not inherited.

I understand there is a point after being born that makes it nearly impossible to learn how to speak. But there have been cases of completely feral children being taught how to read and understand a language.

It's possible that stupid people are most likely not well off and would then give less education opportunities for their children, but that seems like the only issue to me.
My parents did not go to college and barely got through high school -- I turned out alright.

What was vital for me, though, was learning to read very early and being given a computer at a very young age. Best things my parents ever did for me.

Last edited by MrRubix; 11-30-2009 at 10:40 PM..
MrRubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-8-2009, 04:44 PM   #16
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Quote:
This is true; however, people that are more intelligent gain more knowledge over time than people of less intelligence, and intelligence is partially inherited. That is, one aspect of intelligence is the ability to learn, and some people do it naturally faster than others.

We know this because there is a proportional relationship between your ability to perform some fluid intelligence task (e.g. solving from scratch a problem that you are entirely unfamiliar with) and performance on a general knowledge and literacy test.

As such, literacy is not something that can be magically fixed. There will always be people that do not have the natural capacity to obtain literacy.

Quote:
Unfortunately, most of the time, it's seems to be "like father, like son". Dad's a drunken, unemployed hopeless wreck, and so Billy ends up the same way.

I know there's no facts or statistics to back that statement up
People do have a tendency to end up like their parents. This is because of genetic and environmental reasons, which makes your assumption correct.

People that get inferior genes do get off to a bad start, and this only snowballs. Someone born of inferior natural intelligence will accumulate less skills over time, which leaves them less options in terms of employment in the future, etc. Slippery slope.

Quote:
My parents did not go to college and barely got through high school -- I turned out alright.

you know anecdotes have nothing to do with population trends :P

Not to mention that barely getting through high school is not causally linked to low intelligence. My dad was the same way but is highly intelligent and very literate and successful either way.

Chances are you parents are pretty smart regardless, which is what you inherited, and combined with a better environment than they received, you achieved much more in the long run.

What is vital is always genes + environment. If one is lacking, so will success.

Last edited by Reach; 12-8-2009 at 04:52 PM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:32 AM   #17
N.T.M.
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to N.T.M.

lol Just wait 'til you get a job (if you don't have one already).

It's incredibly prevalent. =P

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
Maybe not illiterate, but certainly literacy deficient.
Yeah I kinda assumed that's what he meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantilburg View Post
Just how inept would one have to be with reading to be considered illiterate? Would it be being able to read the material, regardless of the time required, or would it be able to analyze the material and understand what it's saying?
Because cognition varies on many levels
It is a somewhat subjective question, but I really think you're over analyzing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
There is an indelible aspect of predisposition, but in general I agree. Also realize that an impoverished environment exacerbates this issue. By recruiting mental faculties regularly you're actually literally building your brain (there are visible differences). I'd presume that this is even more critical in the formative years of childhood.
“Beware the irrational, however seductive. Shun the 'transcendent' and all who invite you to subordinate or annihilate yourself. Distrust compassion; prefer dignity for yourself and others. Don't be afraid to be thought arrogant or selfish... Suspect your own motives, and all excuses. Do not live for others any more than you would expect others to live for you.”

Christopher Hitchens

Last edited by N.T.M.; 12-11-2009 at 03:43 AM..
N.T.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:57 AM   #18
Izzy
Snek

I think like reach was saying. There is always going to be a number of people less literate then others. That is something that just happens by nature.

So saying that a natural phenomenon is causing millions or billions of lost revenue doesn't make sense because it's money we never had and never will have. So it is only causing us to not make as much money, not lose money. In the business world they see that as the same thing but I don't agree with that.

It's similar to saying how the united states being so long it is causing business millions of dollars in shipping costs because they have to spend so much on gas. Well ok, but that isn't something you can fix. That is just a static issue that wont change.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #19
Cenright
You thought I was a GUY?!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Location: Beaumont (A town with 25 times fewer people than this site)
Send a message via AIM to Cenright Send a message via MSN to Cenright Send a message via Yahoo to Cenright

I believe that THINKING is the main issue. As Devonin brought out in his quote. It wasn't the reading, but being able to identify exactly what was important. As others stated later, motivation is another factor.

Society is built on habits. You do what is acceptable, because that is what everyone is doing. In France they have nude beaches, and that is fully acceptable, being that the habit has already formed directly into the culture. In China, they have forced the population into accepting what is told to them, and now that they need forward thinkers, it is nearly impossible for them to train them, because it is completely against the habits that the government has forced, and that their Grandparents, Parents, and Peers have all accepted as the norm.

In the US, people are believe that they are ENTITLED to being stuck up, superior, and you be proud that you are the country with the biggest guns. People are free to decide what they want for the most part, but everyone looks to others for a good amount of that, so as to still fit in. The media becomes a huge factor in that, and the media only wants to sell what sells the best. With so much information being force fed through TV and Newspapers, when does someone ever have time to think for themselves.

Parents do the training for critical thinking, it starts when they are beginning to talk. By the time they are in Kindergarten, they should already have some of that, and it shouldn't end there. The school systems are getting more and more into tests, tests, tests. Stuff those kids full of info, have them throw it all back up on the test page, and if the score is high, GREAT! Schools are also getting away from critical thinking. I have spoken to some teachers of 2nd - 5th grades that would LOVE to teach some of those higher thinking skills, but they are so loaded down with what the State demands that the kids be force fed, there just isn't any time to do it.

It is the job of the parent. If the parents are both at work, and when at home they are sitting in front of the TV, or they have to work because there is only one parent, then the child never gets any of the higher thinking skills needed to think for themselves.

I believe that is the root of the illiteracy that is spoken of here.
Cenright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #20
Mollocephalus
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Mollocephalus

what you say is very true, and the problem is inside the structure of society. there is no society that encourages breaking up from traditions. the concept of tradition itself is detrimental at this point, because it's a package of unspoken rules, norms and actions that do not undergo the necessary scrutinazion and wide-range analisys and, even worse, places its roots in the very early stages of development, making it almost impossible to change afterwards.