Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Art and Graphics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2011, 08:03 PM   #1
00Razor00
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to 00Razor00 Send a message via Skype™ to 00Razor00
Default Red Fraction banner designing contest! 305K credit prize pot!

Alrightey. So many of you, might've known that RF (Red Fraction) has been up for a few weeks now, but those of you haven't the site's located here.

What we're wanting you to design are banners to use on our header each time the site refreshes. For example, when you refresh the site, the banner does as well (in case you didn't get that.)

Banners MUST be 800x124, nothing bigger, nothing smaller. To be qualified for this, you must submit a total of at least 2 or more banners.
These will go through a judging phase between a group of 4 judges and the contest will end when we find 8 satisfactory banners. So give it your all!

tl;dr version: Can be any colors you want, stay within the size limit, we're looking for a total of 8 banners, will be judged by 4 people and huge credit pot at stake.

Show us what you got!

Judges: Rebirth0, Gundam-Dude, Shikari and myself.

Prize will be split between the top 4 people as follows.
1st: 150,000
2nd: 75,000
3rd: 50,000
4th: 30,000

Credit jackpot: 305,000

Judging:

Spenner:

This is really awesome. Diggin' the colors/BG. Definitely a yes, from me.

I like how you went outside the boundaries of just using red and/or typical colors. Definitely like this, and the logo is really clever. I like it.
So again, yes from me.

Hmm, I like the concept with the logo on this one, but the font kinda bothers me a bit, either from it being too small, or just the entire font in general. But the other 2 definitely appeal to me. Sorry to say, but no from me on this one.

Justin_Ator:

The font is a good choice for this seeming as it's pretty simple and minimalistic. Although, I'm not too fond of what's going on behind the font in the bg either due to lack of effects, or just minimal texture. I'd like to see your second banner for sure though. But for now, no from me on this one.

YOSHl:

This one was a bit too simplistic for me. Although, I love what you did with the letter O in Fraction, it couldve used some more abstract/effects.
I gotta say no on this one.

I must admit, this one is very nice. Love the design on it, but the font could be better. Toning down on the glow wouldn't hurt either, despite this, my vote's yes for this one.

Silvuh:

Out of all 4 you posted, I was definitely feeling this one the most. Loving the font, good choice btw, the minimalism in it is pretty nice. I love what's going on and it brings a nice bold feeling to it while having a nice flare. Yes to this.

Wasn't feeling this at all. Pretty plain and nothing exciting. Sorry but, no.

NeoMasterPie:

This is really awesome. Loving the colors you used and the balance between the fonts. Nothing much else to say, yes.

lol

ProfRaine:

Ehh, wasn't feeling the abstract/interpretation feel to it. Maybe if you had shadowed the font a bit, or at least give it some colouring, it wouldve been slightly better. No from me.

Slightly better than your last submission and I must say, props on using something other than red in the BG. Font style was meh, it's been used in another banner, aka played out, the pond like effect is neat, I do love that. Overall, this is pretty decent. Wouldn't say yes, wouldn't say no, but it's a maybe

Cold Kitten:

Definitely like the font, but the background with all the arrows seems a bit played out to me. I won't say no to this one, but I'll give it a maybe.

Definitely wasn't feeling the grunge-ish vibe this gives off, and Birth of a Hero is such a bad font to go with in most cases, so a no from me.

Supermousie:

Ehh, wasn't feeling the outer glow color over the "RED." Nor the yellow for that matter all over the background. Font choice was decent, but wasn't feeling the difference between each font colors. No from me on this one.

I must admit, everyone's been kind of hating on the grunge banners, but I think this one looks pretty decent. Loving the font choice for this one and although it may be a bit simplistic, i'm diggin' that splatter paint-ish stuff over the grainy bg. Yes on this one.

Nothing exciting here, IMO. Don't like the flare around the planet in the bg, and the glow over the RF text is not my cup of tea.
Also wasn't liking the shatter text. No

This HAS to be your best submission. I absolutely love the colors, and the font choice was exceptional. As others have said, this is most definitely
your best submission and I gotta say, it works really well. So a yes from me.

Wolfxhunter:

I SO dug this one. Really love the font, and the strikethrough on the text. I personally think it suits the site well. So a Yes from me.

Kraezy:

I'm liking the blue here, it's about time someone came up with a banner using other than red. I do love the detailing in the background which provides something else to look at besides the usual text. Overall, it was nice. Although, the font choice could've been better. Nevertheless, yes from me.

The breaking/shattering text concept was kind of corny, to be honest. It looks poorly constructed from what I can tell, and the font usage was a bit played out in terms of style. Gotta say no on this one.

Spitfire:

wasn't really liking the text color on this, the cross hair-like effect was pretty cool around the border. only thing that turned me off
was the color behind the font. so i'ma have to say no.

This ONE, on the other hand, is really awesome. Loving the font color, and none of that orange-ish/gold-ish stuff behind it. Yes

This one was alright. As with the other "shatter" effects on the text people have made, this one isn't that shabby. Liking what's going
on in the middle as well. Yes

Pretty abstract and something unique, although, shoving the font into a corner on its own wasn't too appealing, I'd say it's okay where it's at so viewers
can see what's going on. Nothing something I'd like, but it's passable

Wasn't liking the inner-border on the image, although the reds clashing with the white makes for a decent appearing visual behind the text, it wasn't enough to
sway me over. Wasn't liking the font choice either. No

Evnoir:

I really like this. I love the cloud-like texture and the font difference between each word. What you did with the O is pretty neat
and the reflection of the text really appeals to me. Overall, the image is, in my opinion well crafted. Yes

Eh, nothing really appealing to me here. The curved font really irks me, and the entire background/texture in the font doesn't really mix.
So you're right, lolthissucks/no

Xenorosth:

No for all 4.

Last edited by 00Razor00; 07-16-2011 at 11:52 PM.. Reason: upping the ante
00Razor00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
Shikari
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Shikari Send a message via Skype™ to Shikari
Default Re: Red Fraction banner designing contest! 300K credit prize pot!

A little disclaimer before anything: It's almost impossible to please everyone all the time, considering judges, and everyone else, have different tastes. So don't feel discouraged if a judge or two dislikes your submission. Just go back and fix it as you please and if you wish.

justin_ator's

Notes: I do like the font. Simple, no effects (which can be a littlebad), but I think it's good. My only complaint is the quality of it. Since we have no limit for filesize, you can go nuts: you can save it as .png or .jpg in the maximum quality, if you're using Photoshop. Improve the quality and come back. For now, no, sorry.

---

Spenner's

Notes: The first one is absolutely gorgeous. I really, really like the blending for the font. The colors are perfect too.
Now, the second one's colors are kinda... lol. If you used white instead of black, I think it'd be a little nicer. The concept is good too, but the colors ruined it.
The third one is the best one. Seriously, it's beautiful. The gradient, the logo, colors... A better font alignment and some shadowing in the font would be a good idea imo but, ****, it's the best one so far.

So, I choose the first and the third one. The second one, due to colors, nope. And I'm really liking this logo.

---
Yoshl's

Notes: Well, the first one font is cool, but it's TOO simple. Maybe some abstract brushes would be a good add to it. However, the second one is minimalistic enough to please me. The font was a good choice, although the glow is a little big for it, but these brushes are great.

Yes for the second, no for the first.

---

I like it's

Notes: i like it

---

Cold Kitten's

Notes: First one's font seems a little shabby, however the handwritten feel of it is cool. The background arrows are kinda simplistic. Simplistic enough to be just plain. Some work on it, some colors and blending effects would be cool to.
The second one is a bit better. Opposite to GDude, I do like grunge-type fonts, so it's cool for me. However, that white brush in left, which seems like a splatter kind, has some messed up quality, and it doesn't please me. However, the font itself seems good enough for now.

Sadly, I say no for the first one, but the second one is passable for me,with some fixes here and there.

---

Silvuh's

Notes: These two first images are great, especially the second one and its font. Minimalistic, yet vibrating, I'd have a hard time picking one of them if just one banner was required. The third one pleases me too. Well, I'll have a hard time to pick two between these three, but I say yes to all of them for now.

---
Detrimentalist's

Notes: First of all, lmao this hammer and sickle symbol. Now, the typography is gorgeous and the background is nice too. Bolding "Red", like GDude said, was another good idea. Definetely yes for this one.

PS:

LMAO, I will use this image as a sign in Fool's Day

---

Kraezymann's

Notes: Isn't it Plasmatextor? Being it or not, I like the color choice, because people are aiming for red-related colors and seeing a blue+black banner pleases me. Background image is excellent, but font choice is meh.
Now, for the second one, I really like the shattering effect, but it couldn't be less shattered, improving readability. Background image is plain, but it's really nice and makes the font nicer. I only ask for a less "spread" effect.

In resume: yes for the first one, and maybe for the second one.

---

Supermousie's

Notes: Bad mix of colors and effects in "Red", and this gradient on "Fraction" was a bad idea. Less depth in bevel and another color glow would be good. In fact, a more simplistic font would be so great with this background...
Now, the second one is a lot better. Typography, despite of having bad alignment, is great, the splatter brush next to "Fraction" was a great add and the grunge feeling of the background was amazing.
Another bad color mix for third, also font choice was bad as well. However, I like the shattering effect, I won't lie.
Well, this fourth one is actually the best one you submitted. I don't know if you download a font or even if you made your own font, but seriously, what a great font it is. The lack of major effects is really nice to see, and the banner is great enough without any kind of logo.

Yes for second and fourth ones, but no for the others.

PS:

Another Fool's Day banner, niec

---

Professor Raine's

Notes: Comparing the "red light" images, the one with white font is actually better than the other one, with red font. Why? The simplicity, "minimalism" in the first one seems to be nicer to eyes than the gradient one. However, some drop shadow in the white font would be good imo, I don't know. I'm still saying "yes" to it though.
Comparing the leaf ones, I think you did a worst font choice than the first one. However, I believe a fully handwritten-type font would go really well with the leaf, making it something "artistic". Between these two, I'd pick first again.
Now, this gray+white striped background along with this gorgeous font makes this image my favorite submission so far. Seriously, it's almost sexy. I have anything to complain about, nor have I anything to add. I really want to see this one in RF.
Judging the last two in the same note, font choice and effects for the first one was kinda disappointing, plus the yellow-ish background doesn't help too much. Also, when I first readed "suck it", I readed as "it sucks", lol. The second one's BG seems a little shabby from here, and font choice was kinda generic, since Kraezymann used it and the font is kinda popular itself.

So, I say a HUGE yes to the gray one and the first red light image, like I did before, and no for the rest. However, both leaf images are passable for me.

---

Rebirth

Notes: FONT IS TOO SMALL, REBARF!!!!!!!1 It really is small, and that's quite a let down, considering how nice the rest of the image is (however, it reminds me of some old-school SM gfx, like the one for Porco Dio, lol). Update the font, because it has potential.

---

omgfail's

Notes: Comparing the first two, since they have the same base, green font color, with nothing to "separate" from the background, really ****s up readability. The second one still has the same problem, but it's way better than the first. Maybe make the font white...? I like the pixelated feel in the BG and the color of it.
This gif one really, really pleases me, seriously. It'd please even more if, below the ">red_fraction" command line, there was some kind of "enter" command. It'd be one hell of a message.

I sadly say "no" for the first, but the other two are really passable, with great chances in my opinion. Especially the .gif one.

---

WolfXHunter's

Unlike Pat, I like fancy, "tech" stuff. Font choice was reasonable, and background effects good enough. However, I tend to chose the first one over the second due to font effects. First one is way easier to read and shit, while second is hard due to this blending effect.

So, yes for the first one, and that's it.

PS:

Hey, it was a secret! jk

---

flipsta_lombax's

Notes: Meh, I don't like the color mix used in it. The blurry shadow in the font is also bad imo. However, with proper fixes in the font, and maybe changing this crooked line from yellow to black, I think you'd do a good job. Because of this, I say "maybe for this one.

---

Spitfire's

Notes: Starting with the similar ones, I liked both, really. Especially the second and its golden "Red Fraction". However, I tend to feel like this blue part of the gradient is like misplaced, and could be easily replaced with some gray. Also, I like the frame thing, I was missing something like this in submissions.
In third image, like Rebirth, font is too small. This center swirl is good-looking, but sadly a little plain. Nothing else to add.
Fourth image is actually good with this building, but I don't like the green parts in it (maybe a different color) and, again, font is too small for me.
The last one is surprisingly gorgeous. No swirls, no shattering, no fancy stuff, yet it's so vivid. Liked the font choice and the image colors altogether, however the font itself seems a little unaligned.

I pick first and last images, and the fourth one, with the building, is a maybe for me, because of the green parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger View Post
Shikari for resident profile artist

Last edited by Shikari; 07-23-2011 at 01:16 AM..
Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:07 PM   #3
justin_ator
🥓<strong><span style="col
Resident Overseer
FFR Veteran

Interesting. I'll give this a try.

ps, why do you have to submit at least 2 to qualify?
Old 07-14-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
Gundam-Dude
`~`
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

The uneven kerning on the text is really bothering me. Font choice is good, it's legible and readable. A lot of negative space which is passable because most people resort to cramming everything they can in a canvas which isn't a good idea. Very plain, not much texture or variation to it.
Passable

Good attempt at changing up the colour pallette, however red & green as a complimentary colour combo isn't quite appealing to the eye as both colours are overpowering. Font is good, texture brush effect was a nice touch. The logo idea is executed very well. Good visual interest, but not as good due to colour choice. Your decision to stick with a vector based design was a great one.
Yes

Font choice I personally don't like either, especially with the placements which ruins the visual flow. Strong focus on the logo, which is great. Again, nice negative space but very plain and not much texture to it. Visual interest is lacking due to being everything in dead center; Dead center is BORING to look at.
No

Again, I'm not a fan of grunge type based on classic fonts. However, this does have visual interest to it from the type and logo placements. Strong focus on the logo, however I feel that the type should really be grouped together with it to one side in order to make the message more clear rather than keeping both elements separate.
Yes

Terrible font choice and placement is poor. Type in general is handled poorly. Very plain and generic with not much visual interest to it. The border doesn't serve much of a purpose here and it just adds another eye-straining element to the composition.
No

I don't like the font choice. However the fraction idea for the letter "o" was a good implementation. That is really the only thing notable about this. Lack of visual interest otherwise because it's dead center (dead center is BORING). The simple grid gradient in the back works, although there is too much black in correspondence to the red.
No

Generic and plain. Type is handled poorly, and is barely even legible and readable. There's absolutely no visual interest in this.
No

lol

I don't like the font choice and the type is handled poorly. Although I respect your decision to leave the type perfect white, it's difficult to read with all those white and bright spots in the background. Image itself is abstract which isn't too bad but it's lacking in visual interest. The message I get from looking at this is "Stop for red. Red being Red Fraction" which is somewhat well thought although it's a very vague message and can be interpreted in different ways.
No

Font choice and handling is poor. It's barely even legible let alone readble since you slapped it all the way in the lonesome corner. Background itself is generic abstract render copied, mirrored, and overlayed BS. I really don't like the pixelate effect overlay. Colour scheme isn't too bad although the amount of orange is drawing the most visual attention as opposed to the dominant red.
No

lol

Font is... passable however your choice to stroke the type and add a slight inner shadow doesn't work, especially with the visual element that is the background. Good visual interest being put towards the type, which is nice, but spot colour on a neutral grey background doesn't work well unless the background is busy. The fact you also added those type effects ruins the effect spot colour has as well.
No

Again, I hate grunge type based on classic fonts (I'd take Avant Garde over Birth of a Hero in every case possible). The uneven letterspacing bothers me greatly, however how the type was placed and handled is decent to say the least. Again, spot colour attempt was nice although not quite as effective.
No

These two are the strongest ones out of the four you posted. Font choice is good although the lack of kerning and uneven letterspacing bothers me greatly. I like the minimalistic take on the background. It isn't overwhelming and it still adds visual interest and texture to the composition. I personally like the flatness of the second one, however the texture on the first one adds a nice flare to it. Tough choice really but they came out pretty good.
Yes

Your weakest design. Real lack in visual interest and the colour scheme idea you had going isn't working out at all. Font choice is good. Overall, really plain.
No

Font choice is good and the handling is passable. The kerning it a bit too tight in some areas, making it a bit uneven. Good type hierarchy with the weight contrast (thick & thin) and font sizes (smallcaps was your best friends here). The different opacity of the hammer and sickle is really bothering me though. It should've been consistent with the type itself as they're grouped together as ONE unit, not two. The background is deviantart and plain but whatever, it's passable.
Yes

ROFL

The bevel and emboss effect on RED doesn't work in combination with FRACTION as the latter is completely neutral grey and flat with a gradient. Totally inconsistent and this is perceived as two separate units as opposed to one (it matters because this is the title of a community here which is ONE single community, not more). Font choice for FRACTION is horrible and the handling in general is poor. Background is generic fractal stuff and nothing more. Overall, no visual interest in this let alone is it very appealing to the eye.
No

The stronger submission. Font choice is good, although the lack of kerning and uneven letterspacing bothers me greatly. Good call on leaving the text alone and effect-less. Visual interest is lacking because it's dead center (dead center is BORING). Red on a grey background is harsh on the eyes and isn't a nice colour scheme to work with. Nice texture for the background at the very least.
No

The bevel and emboss effect on RED doesn't work in combination with FRACTION as the latter is completely neutral grey and flat with a gradient. Totally inconsistent and this is perceived as two separate units as opposed to one (it matters because this is the title of a community here which is ONE single community, not more). I don't really understand the whole idea of creating a colour hierarchy for FRACTION, it just adds another visually distracting element to the composition. The background already really irks me because I have a huge pet peeve for generic SCANLINES. Overall, not my cup of tea.
No

Font choice is somewhat passable although I don't like it. The pixelate on FRACTION is kinda funky but I guess adds a little variation to the text. Background is simple but it works. Nice detail and adds texture, creating a field of depth in the composition despite the text being flat. I really question the colour scheme though because it is RED fraction after all. This would be more suitable as a banner from BlueXoon if it was still around, rofl.
Passable

Unique concept with the type although the execution is wonky. You should've left remnants of the C in FRACTION in order for it to be readable because it's reading as FRATION everytime. Font is somewhat passable. Background is very plain and minimalistic, which isn't bad. Nice attempt at least.
Passable

The colour scheme is a bit weird, but I see you're going for the whole spot colour concept. Font choice is somewhat passable although I don't like what you did with it in terms of effects. Also the red swirly parts of the background, although faint, don't contribute much to the composition and just add a distracting element overall. Would've been better to leave it blue. Overall, it's flat, which is nice to see, but I'm not feeling this as a whole. There's a lack of visual interest, despite your attempt at using spot colour.
No

I don't like your font choice and the handling in terms of effects really irritates me and makes me cringe hard. You loaded the type with so much shit that it takes away from the natural appeal of the type face alone. Also all those effects just make it worse for legibility and readability. when I step back from my monitor and view this from my back to thw wall, all I see is a jumbled mess of red on blue-grey. Decent attempt at spot colour, but it's still lacking in visual interest because it's dead center (dead center is BORING. How many times do I have to say it).
No

Nice typography attempt. Colour scheme is bad (I mentioned before, Red and Green, although complimentary colours, are too overpowering for the eye and don't work together with type. Good call for making the type on an angle since you placed it dead center. Still boring dead center, but it's not as bad when type is angled like this. Font choice is passable and the handling is decent. Background has texture and is minimalistic which is nice to see.
Passable

Simple concept and it serves it's purpose. Just very generic and unappealing.
No

Xenorosth's 1st Banner
Boring because it's dead center. Font choice is somewhat passable. Too simplistic and again BORING.
NO

Xenorosth's 2nd Banner
Font choice is okay but the handling is absolute terrible. Why would you split RED and FRACTION up and why would you make the type so small and blending into the background? This is a BANNER, it's supposed to attract attention and convey information. Background is generic and poorly edited.
NO

Xenorosth's 3rd Banner
Font choice is bad and the handling is terrible. Colour scheme makes no sense either and the BG is generic stolen work.
NO

Xenorosth's 4th Banner
Insert 3rd banner's review here except this one has an even WORSE colour scheme.
NO

Xenorosth's 5th Banner
Insert 2nd banner's review here except the type is at least somewhat legible and readable.
NO

Font choice is decent though I don't like Impact much. The font crumbling idea was neat but I'm not keen on the execution and font handling. Colour scheme overall is poor since all you really did was slap red text on a space BG without even thinking about how colours harmonize and work together. There's some visual interest, but overall not my cup of tea.
No

lol

Colour scheme is better, although you should've just sampled the black used as it'd unify the compositional element together with the type and it'd make the text much more legible and readable. Neutral grey on top of a red background is very difficult to read.
Yes

I don't like the font choice and the lack of kerning and uneven letterspacing bothers me greatly. You're using almost the EXACT same effects on your text (slight gradient + overlay, translucent stroke) which I don't like at all. Background is minimalistic but overall there's no visual interest due to the colour scheme.
No

Font choice is somewhat passable but your font combination doesn't work, regardless of whether this is a serious banner. Dead center which is BORING. I don't like what you've done with the background although dark on light was a good call. Colour scheme doesn't seem relevant to the title or community at hand.
No

Way to copy Kraezymann. The colour scheme is more pink/purple than red, which is bothering me. Also GENERIC FRACTAL BG WITH SLIGHT PIXELATE MOSAIC HURR HURR. Again, dead center which is absolutely BORING.
No

This is better than the previous version, but I don't like how you handling the type. The gradient is overpowering the image and I really don't like the slight inner glow, despite adding depth to the type. This is more passable than the other version, so unfortunately I'm rejecting the other one.
Passable

Please, for the love of god, don't just randomly combine typefaces like this. Typeface combinations affect the type and composition greatly. Some typefaces can harmonize together while others look like absolute ass. This combination in particular isn't working. You still didn't touch up on the red swirls I had a problem with.
No

Clever. The second one had me dying and I'm surprised you managed to even pull this off.
No

Font choice is good although the lack of kerning and uneven letterspacing bothers me greatly. The colour scheme used for the background I feel doesn't work well. The blotches of what looks like a purple-grey is just adding a visually distracting element. I prefer the second banner over the former, although overall these are visuall lacking and don't catch my attention.
No

I don't like how you handling the text. The point size already bothers me enough. This is a banner for a community we're talking about here, not a small tiny advertisement. Background is simplistic but it works to some extent. Your focal point is dead center though which is BORING and lacks visual interest. The border doesn't really contribute much to the composition and it actually makes it look worse.
No

Same deal about the type. Much more abstract, but at least it's interesting to look at and has some viaul appeal. The colour scheme is alright, I can say that out of the banners that used the red and green complimentary combo, this one used it rather well. The green isn't overpowering the red, however the red is much too high contrasted. The yellow helps unify the two colours.
Passable

Your weakest submission. Good font choice but the lack of kerning and uneven letterspacing bothers me greatly. Why would you separate the words and make them two units as opposed to one single unit? This is a COMMUNITY we're talking about here. The flow in which this is read is too broken up. Also, a huge lack of visual interest as there's nothing going on in the background and the type is dead center which is BORING.
No

Very retro. Nice handwriting, lol. Good call for sticking with simple vector although I don't really like how you implemented the red into this colour scheme. Blue and orange is an excellent complimentary colour combo but when mixed with another colour, it isn't quite as effective. Also, fraction should be closer to red as the huge gap ruins the flow in which it's read. Although it's simplistic as a whole, I actually kind of like this because barely anyone is taking the vector route to this contest.
No

Good font choice but the lack of kerning and uneven letterspacing bothers me greatly. Nice fraction in the O idea that people seem to like doing. That red spot colour is nice although the overall composition is lacking visual interest from all the black on grey. Reflection text added a nice touch. Background is minimalistic but works.
Passable

This is more Orange Fraction than Red Fraction, rofl. Font choice is good and the kerning is actually kinda neat. The slight angle to the text alignment does add a little visual interest and it's highly legible and readable from a far distance. The grid on top of the type is a bit weird as I feel it'd be better used in the background. There's already enough texture in the type, no real need to add even more compositional elements than you need to.
Passable

Great font choice and the kerning is alright/passable. Good colour scheme choice as yellow on top of red works well in most cases. Good call for keeping type effects minimal and plain. The problem I have with this is the background RED FRACTION in smaller type seems completely randomly placed on correlation to the larger one. It doesn't really align to anything and doesn't really contribute much to the composition in particular. Background is plain but works to some extent. Visually lacking to some degree, despite having offsetted text and simple background.
Passable

I dislike the font choice as there's only very minor details that differentiate the letters "a" and "o". I don't really like your choice to go with a neutral grey for FRACTION as it looks completely out of place and is a bit hard to read with the dark, high contrasting background. Also that yellow/orange fist to the right is a distracting element and doesn't really blend well with the rest of the composition. There is some visual interest at the very least.
No

Really digging this one. Only quarrel with this is the logo placement. Good visual interest and the color scheme is good. Font choice and handling is fantastic.
Yes

Great font choice and handling however it's difficult to read from afar. Also a lack of visual interest in this as a whole despite blending together well.
Passable

Very grungy, lol. Would've expected a different typeface to go with the darkness. The weight contrast is a bit weak, you should've went bolder for RED. Again, lacking in visual interest.
Passable

I'm liking this one the most out of everything you've done. Very cool concept and nice execution overall. Colour scheme works well and overall I don't really have much criticism for this, haha.
YES

The weakest out of the three submissions. Please don't combine typefaces unless you KNOW they work together well. I really don't like the type effects as it's too flashy and inconsistent, which takes away from how the type is read. Background is visually interesting however it doesn't harmonize and go with the type.
No

Font choice is passable and the handling is decent. The effects on the type are still on the overpowering side but at the very least, it's legible and readable. I'm not sure what you were trying to achieve with the F in FRACTION as it's obviously a different weight from the rest. It affects the flow in which the type is read and it visually looks awkward when comparing it to the R is RED. The logo idea is neat although I don't like the placement in particular. And because of the effects thrown on it, it doesn't harmonize and go with the type which is the major issue. Background is busy but works I guess.
Passable

(Download My Magnum Opus, Solo Kpop Pack!)

My Simfiles (4key & 6key)

Last edited by Gundam-Dude; 07-18-2011 at 02:54 PM..
Gundam-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:12 PM   #5
00Razor00
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to 00Razor00 Send a message via Skype™ to 00Razor00

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin_ator View Post

ps, why do you have to submit at least 2 to qualify?
because, there's 4 prizes. 4 people submitting at least 2 = 8 banners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rogdor View Post
hey buddy are you looking for a good song to step because if so i really recommend you step In Front Of A Bus
00Razor00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:15 PM   #6
YoshL
Celestial Harbor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to YoshL Send a message via MSN to YoshL Send a message via Skype™ to YoshL

will sub something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Only yours, for an easy price of $19.99! You too can experience the wonders of full motion rump sticking.
YoshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:17 PM   #7
flipsta_lombax
Lombax Connoisseur
FFR Veteran

I'm down. Could use some creds. I'm assuming we post our submissions in here.

Best SCORE: Husigi Usagi Milk Tei {16-1-2-8}

Last edited by flipsta_lombax; 07-14-2011 at 08:30 PM..
flipsta_lombax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:38 PM   #8
justin_ator
Resident Overseer
FFR Veteran

Do we post it here? or submit it somewhere?
Old 07-14-2011, 08:47 PM   #9
Shikari
FFR Player

Posting here is cool, I have no problem with it.

Quote:
Old 07-14-2011, 08:56 PM   #10
Xx{Midnight}xX
FFR Player

May give a shot.
Xx{Midnight}xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:58 PM   #11
justin_ator
Resident Overseer
FFR Veteran

Setting the bar

The second one will probably look a lot better. But it won't be in for a bit.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:25 PM   #12
.Gazelle.
Mr. Skeltal
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

i'll probably make something tommorow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeKrispyKreme View Post
Rap music is music. However, It's not in the traditional sense of how we understand music. The vocals are filled with slangs that gangs used since the 70s and a lot of the instrumentations are replaced with "Street Sounds" instead of traditional instruments. Music is defined as any combination of sounds that is pleasing to the ear, so while one person may find it as "noise" another person can find it pleasing to the ear and so call "vibe" with it as how I think the kids would say it these days.
.Gazelle. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:26 PM   #13
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Send a message via MSN to Spenner Send a message via Skype™ to Spenner

I made two so far... more to come maybe!!!(??)

Also I invented you guys a logo in the second one, I hope you don't mind. Are you planning on using any kind of logo? It's just a "symbol" that implies Red Fraction anyhow.

EDIT (in case the logo idea is favourable... if not then ignore this one)

^Fix'd, teehee

Last edited by Spenner; 07-14-2011 at 11:18 PM..
Spenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:19 PM   #14
Rebirth0
FFR Originalbro

I see a couple good ones so far. I hope people mix it up a little with the color. Website colors are red, black, and gold.
Rebirth0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:31 PM   #15
Quigly
nah
FFR Veteran

oh god spenner that third one. line up the text you slut.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:36 PM   #16
justin_ator
Resident Overseer
FFR Veteran

Agreed with Quig there... haha.

And I didn't figure it would make it far. My next one will involve some real effort.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:45 PM   #17
Shikari
FFR Player

"Reviewed" Spenner's ones and I agree with Quigly.

And justin, this first one is good in my opinion, just grab the .psd and improve the quality of the image, nothing hard.

Quote:
Old 07-14-2011, 10:47 PM   #18
YoshL
Celestial Harbor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to YoshL Send a message via MSN to YoshL Send a message via Skype™ to YoshL

my style is distinctively different than spenner's lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Only yours, for an easy price of $19.99! You too can experience the wonders of full motion rump sticking.
YoshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:49 PM   #19
justin_ator
Resident Overseer
FFR Veteran

Except they aren't PSD's... :/ lol

I don't have photoshop.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:52 PM   #20
Rebirth0
FFR Originalbro

Rebirth0 is offline   Reply With Quote