Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Audio and Music Production
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-5-2013, 10:41 PM   #21
yo man im awesome
soleil ardent
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Daily Music Reviews (Summer Challenge)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo man im awesome View Post
August Burns Red released a new album recently, Rescue & Restore. I don't know if you're into metal, but I'd still highly recommend it.
^^ Also a legit request, although again, I don't know your current musical taste. What do you listen to normally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
you double dad loving dipshit
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rogdor View Post
dammit now i have to smoke a picture of choof out of a bong
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartdude1212 View Post
I can't be the only guy who has wondered what it'd be like to menstruate all over the shower.
yo man im awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-5-2013, 11:02 PM   #22
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo man im awesome View Post
^^ Also a legit request, although again, I don't know your current musical taste. What do you listen to normally?
I have eclectic enough tastes, though most of the metal I listen to is avant-garde (Mr. Bungle, Dog Fashion Disco, Tub Ring) or stoner shit (Kyuss, Sleep). The only bands that come to mind for metalcore (what your request is described as on Wikipedia) are Avenged Sevenfold (meh) and Bullet For My Valentine (fuck no, why do people mix MBV up with this?). Which is it closer to?

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-5-2013, 11:06 PM   #23
yo man im awesome
soleil ardent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayword45 View Post
I have eclectic enough tastes, though most of the metal I listen to is avant-garde (Mr. Bungle, Dog Fashion Disco, Tub Ring) or stoner shit (Kyuss, Sleep). The only bands that come to mind for metalcore (what your request is described as on Wikipedia) are Avenged Sevenfold (meh) and Bullet For My Valentine (fuck no, why do people mix MBV up with this?). Which is it closer to?
Well, between those two, Avenged. These are the guys who did Internal Cannon and Carol of the Bells on FFR. They're influenced a lot by Between the Buried and Me (White Walls).

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
you double dad loving dipshit
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rogdor View Post
dammit now i have to smoke a picture of choof out of a bong
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartdude1212 View Post
I can't be the only guy who has wondered what it'd be like to menstruate all over the shower.
yo man im awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-6-2013, 02:04 AM   #24
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

August burns red is fucking awesome
Old 07-6-2013, 08:26 PM   #25
rayword45

Day 9: The Director's Cut by Fantomas (Album Choice: Me)

Today I'm going to see a movie, so I decided to listen to this album as a huge Bungle and somewhat Melvins fan. Fantomas is a supergroup consisting of Mike Patton from Faith No More/Mr. Bungle on vocals, Trevor Dunn from Mr. Bungle on bass, King Buzzo of the Melvins on guitar and Dave Lombardo of Slayer on drums. According to some sources, metal fans "were in heaven" when they heard of this supergroup. ...What exactly were they expecting? I don't listen to much Slayer, but both the Melvins and Mr. Bungle are (or in the case of Mr. Bungle, were sadly) some of the weirdest groups in metal. This album in particular is a whole album of movie theme covers, mostly horror. I'm guessing (always guessing) that this will be closer to Disco Volante, the most experimental (and my least favorite) Bungle album than anything Slayer has done. Ever.

So, because this is often cited as a "challenging release" and because I haven't seen a single one of these movies (not even The Godfather) I've decided that I'll give this a special style of review. 3 steps!

1. Listen to album and review.
2. After going to see a movie, listen to the original movie themes (compiling these was not fun, and I missed Der Golem and Night of the Hunter. This better be worth it)
3. Listen to album again, re-review.

What started as a melodica quickly turned to thrash metal, and then scat singing. And back to metal. This is definitely a Mike Patton project. I don't think that listening to The Godfather theme will change my opinion much. Next few tracks and there is a definite thrash metal feeling, even between the softer singing/crooning/falsettoing (IDGAF if that isn't a word) in Experiment in Terror and Night of the Hunter. My guess was mostly wrong, but there were a few Death/Thrash Metal tracks on DV, and this is mostly Thrash Metal. I've never been a fan of songs using "la-la"'s as lyrics, partially due to Strong Bad, and this album freaking violates that concept. These are covers so I have yet to find out if that's accurate or Patton being a jackass. Spider Baby reminds me of Dog Fashion Disco, which is funny because everyone calls them a Mr. Bungle rip-off, something I never sympathized with. The Omen proves I didn't pay attention in Latin class, and it reminds me of Violenza Domestica except much heavier, not in Italian and ten times more awesome. Funny how the actual movie theme doesn't sound like a movie theme. The last song is somewhat reminiscent of California, particularly Goodbye Sober Day. I only say that because the song structure changes in a similar way. I'm going to assume this is closest to Slayer without listening to them, it's too heavy to feel like Mr. Bungle and not sludgy enough to sound like Melvins. Maybe if Mike Patton replaced Tom Araya Slayer would sound like this. I don't know I still haven't heard a full Slayer album.

Now that I'm done seeing an actual movie (The Lone Ranger wasn't as bad as reviews said, though it was overlong. IMDB is more accurate here.) it's time to listen to the original themes. Also let me fix step 3.

3. After listening to original themes, create a playlist so that the original themes and covers alternate.

That makes for easier comparison. Before I listened to these themes, I listened to a couple of Slayer songs. It is NOT closest to Slayer. It's way too schizophrenic to sound like Slayer. Then I finally listened to these themes... It's freaking movie music. Orchestras and background music galore. I'm now wondering if skipping step 2 was a good idea. Oh well.

Now, step 3. This is 80 minutes of relistening, but if some people are correct (knowing the movie themes make it better) then this is worth it. I organized a playlist in a 1-2 order going from original track to Fantomas cover. Let's see if my appreciation spikes.

The Godfather transitions very well into The Godfather (Theme), going straight from the smooth singing into the melodica, and then the screaming scat singing. They compliment each other well. They removed actual lyrics from The Godfather, and added lyrics (unless I have the wrong version) to Experiment in Terror! Why? Truth be told, some of the longer themes I skipped around in, but I made sure I got the point and fully relistened to The Director's Cut. Except I skipped 2 tracks. It was pointless I didn't have the original themes. Man, my attention span sucks. For one track I partly skipped (One Step Beyond), the re-imagining becomes a LOT better once you hear the original. As does another (Cape Fear). Some songs I feel aren't affected much by listening to the original, but that's more because I enjoyed the cover without listening to the original (Spider Baby is the best example of this). Overall, this 80 (well actually, reduced to about 65) minutes of relistening? Totally worth it. I was totally wrong with that bit about The Godfather, almost every track is enhanced when you know the original.

The Director's Cut is one strange concept for an album, but it's pulled off very well. Of the 4 bands mentioned, I feel like this is what Mr. Bungle would eventually sound like if they kept their early Death Metal ways, but I never listened to The Raging Wrath of The Easter Bunny, their first demo and only demo in that style. Maybe I should, but the 2 demos I did hear sucked complete balls. This album is loaded with about 4 songs of actual distinct lyrics and another 11 of scat singing and instrumentals, so this is definitely a challenging release as many have listed it as. Once you get into it, however, it shines like cubic zirconia. I'm not a fan of scat singing (except maybe Scatman John), but this album is still probably my highlight thus far (yes, more then the Beach Boys) after listening to the original themes. My final recommendation is this: If you like metal music at all, give this album a try. If you don't like it at first, do what I did and listen to the original themes then give it another try (or make an alternating playlist) and watch it make so much more sense. If you still don't like it, well, at least you tried.

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.

Last edited by rayword45; 07-6-2013 at 08:50 PM..
Old 07-7-2013, 09:08 PM   #26
rayword45

I'm sad that nobody commented on Fantomas. Seriously, such a good album.

Day 10: The Grey Album by Danger Mouse

Today it's Ringo Starr's birthday, and even though he was undeniably the worst Beatle I'm still using this as an excuse to celebrate. So today I'm listening to The Grey Album by Danger Mouse. It's a mashup album consisting of Beatles instrumentals underneath the Jay-Z album "The Black Album". This album was notorious for EMI's utter failure to halt distribution of this album despite Paul McCartney and Jay-Z both approving of the album. Danger Mouse is a great producer in my opinion, I was fond of his work with Beck even if I felt that album was a bit weak. I like the Beatles, I don't like Jay-Z's camel-looking ass. I don't need a prediction for this one. If I have time I'll keep to my word and do a double, probably of Nas as someone recommended.

Knowing most of these Beatles songs (though they are often heavily altered) and very few Jay-Z songs, I can't help but laugh at times solely due to the oddity of rap over the Beatles. That being said, it's often uncanny how well the two artists complement each other despite being two completely genres. This is very different from The Mouse and the Mask and Modern Guilt, the other 2 Danger Mouse produced albums I can remember. That's expected out of a mashup album, and the production (or mashing) is still top notch (my phone corrected notch as bitch, wow.) I'm going to assume the Beatles instrumentals sound LESS dated than Jay-Z's beats, but they could use a remaster, even if that's just raising everything by a few decibels. Also, it's of worthwhile note that this isn't simply putting instrumental underneath as I expected, there's a lot of mixing often doing some awesome stuff like turning John Lennon's voice into percussion. A key example of this (and one of my personal favorite tracks) would be the interludes. These feature lots of vocal reversing and added percussion, creating a sound unlike the rest of the album, which I liken more to DM's work on Modern Guilt, especially Replica.

This is what rap rock should be, not Lil Wayne's talentless guitar playing. Not any of those "nu-metal" atrocities like Limp Bizkit. Not rap metal bands that aren't nu-metal (though I do like a few Red Hot Chili Pepper tracks). And most definitely not any of those crunkcore bands, if that's considered rap at that point. THIS. IS. IT. Even as a non-Jay-Z fan I still think this is a prime example of rap rock. A shame it's not an actual original album because this should be a watermark of that genre.

I decided against doing a double because I'm almost outta time. To summarize briefly, this album is a huge highlight of mine, probably right below Fantomas as my favorite album thus far. Even though I consider Jay-Z one of the most overrated rappers ever, the mashup work here is so good it brings new life to it. This comes as highly recommended.

Old 07-8-2013, 09:08 PM   #27
rayword45

Day 11: Rescue and Restore by August Burns Red (with a bonus review)

August Burns Red is a band described as metalcore on Wikipedia. Two highly different bands come to mind for metalcore. First is Avenged Sevenfold, I used to like them, now I find them meh. The next is Bullet For My Valentine, which should be renamed The Equivalent of Bullets Going Through Your Ear As Someone Shouts "HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY" And Plays Terrible Metal Instruments As Your Ear Bleeds. From what I've read, this band doesn't sound like those bands. They have extended breakdowns and odd-meter riffs, two thing I really like in metal. That sounds more like Progressive Metal though, and they're heavily influenced by Between The Buried And Me, a progressive metal band. My hopes are low for the metalcore, but high because of those two elements.

First song, and this reminds me of Protest the Hero, also prog metal. Except for the growls. The riff around 3:30 in Treatment is awesome, still not keen on vocals. Count It All As Lost contains some decent guitar work as well. The mini-solo around the beginning of Animals is also good. There is one aspect of this music I'm still not fond of, though. After listening I take back what I said about Protest The Hero, solely because there is no melodic singing to be found. The only track that contains any melodic singing is Echoes. This album could use more of that, but then again non-melodic screams aren't to my taste. If they are to yours then by all means try this.

So apparently this is a Christian band, and I like them more than Skillet. I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume it's because the vocalist is a lot more... Challenging. I know I said I didn't like the vocals, but as far as I know this music isn't too preachy to give me a headache. Apparently, he doesn't want to shove Christianity down peoples throat, he just wants to let that speak through his lyrics. ...Is this guy a clown, a crackhead or just delusional? Who the hell is going to get a message out of these shrieks and growls? People with better lyric deciphering skills then me, I guess.

Another concise review, but I'm doing a bonus review of an EP to make up for that. I'll say this in 3 sentences: I don't like these vocals, but the guitar is pretty enjoyable, so the vocals should be remastered by Steve Albini. I'm actually kind of glad I can't understand the lyrics because I don't want another headache, and I'm actually kinda scared he lied about not wanting to sound preachy (thus I didn't look up the lyrics). This is the third sentence.

BONUS REVIEW TIME.

Today's bonus review is the Cult of Mictlan EP by Oral Fistfuck. This band is described as not only death metal, but "brutal" death metal. I bet this will be like a carnival ride.

The Berzerker played their songs faster then Oral Fistfuck did.

And that's the end of the review.

Old 07-9-2013, 07:51 PM   #28
rayword45

Day 12: The Sophtware Slump by Grandaddy (Album Choice: Crazyjayde)

Before I start this review, I'll briefly tell you about two albums I listened to yesterday, neither of which qualify for reviews, Fresh Meat + Old Slabs by Beck and Sweden by The Mountain Goats. Both are extremely lo-fi tape recorded folk/anti-folk albums. FM + OS contains some experimental tracks on it and has a lot of entertaining tracks. Sweden will RIP YOUR GODDAMN HEART OUT. Well, only if you're a sap for simple 3-chord songs like me, I can't even attempt to play The Recognition Scene without stopping. If you like folk, you know what I'm going to say, since I'm a proclaimed fan of both these artists. Onto the actual review.

Grandaddy is a space rock band, and another band I know very little about. One of their listed influence is Bad Brains. How the hell does that influence space rock? This particular album is all recorded by one guy and is a concept album, so I should probably look out for that second part while listening. I must say, the title is pretty awesome.

I know this is a concept album, but why must the first track be the longest? It annoys me when albums do that, like Hairway to Steven by the Butthole Surfers, or Dopesmoker by Sleep except nobody gives a crap about the second track. Regardless of my disdain for such track orders, the first song is quite pretty with lush-sounding instrumentation. I hear a bit more in the next 2 tracks. The first comparison I get from this music is post-Zaireeka Flaming Lips. Had this come out a year earlier, I'm sure this would get another "Pet Sounds of the 90s" claim. Ugh.

Tracks 4 and 5 show a bit of difference, with more straightforward guitar-based rock, like early era Flaming Lips with a dash of later era. All my comparisons are to The Flaming Lips, down to the high pitched vocals (though a lot less scratchy here) and half the songs having jackass long titles and half not. I check What.CD and TasteKid and YES I WAS RIGHT. Track 6, Underneath The Weeping Willow does not remind me of Wayne Coyne. It's just a piano ballad. The rest seems to remind me of a much sadder, yes, Flaming Lips, either reminiscent of the early era guitar-based songs with a lot more layered orchestra (loose definition of orchestra), or the later era orchestra-based songs with a lot more guitar fuzz.

I didn't get an ounce of story from this album, besides Miner at the Dial-a-View and Jed The Humanoid, reason being Wikipedia told me. Perhaps I need to relisten to the album to understand the story, or maybe it's like those early 60s "concept albums" where there's no story, just a theme. Outside of that, the music is pretty good. All those comparisons to Flaming Lips but I'll give this the title of being ABOVE the Flaming Lips. It successfully combines both eras of that band (well, none of the post-punk noise rock in the early, early days) while having a voice of their own, along with superior vocals. It's also highly impressive that one dude recorded this. This gets a definite thumbs-up to anyone who likes spacy neo-psychedelia bands.

I wonder what this album would be like on LSD.

Old 07-9-2013, 10:00 PM   #29
Crazyjayde
FFR Veteran
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Glad you reviewed this album out of every others, as well as the Grey Album two days earlier. (Danger Mouse being a outstanding producer (i.e. Broken Bells/Madvillain)) Keep those coming, I'm not far from your mindset and I'm glad to share some of your perceptions on these tracks.

By the way, two questions:
- How good would you rate Fantômas compared to Mr. Bungle?
- Would it be possible to cite your preferences in music (genre inclinations, overall moods you search for in music, etc.) so I can define more your background and understand you views?
Crazyjayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #30
rayword45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyjayde View Post
- How good would you rate Fantômas compared to Mr. Bungle?
- Would it be possible to cite your preferences in music (genre inclinations, overall moods you search for in music, etc.) so I can define more your background and understand you views?
1. I prefer Mr. Bungle, because they're more experimental (although less heavy). California is one of my all-time favorite albums.

2. I don't think about moods when I choose what music to listen to, unless I do it unconciously.

In terms of genres, I'd like to say I have eclectic tastes, but mostly I listen to experimental rock/metal, noise rock, folk rock, house and IDM. I do have music that falls under other genres like alternative rock and stoner metal though.

I don't like a lot of hip-hop (this is not to say all), dubstep, post-grunge, country (some exceptions, for example Meat Puppets II if you count it as such) or whatever radio-friendly pop falls under.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #31
Crazyjayde
FFR Veteran
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Well then I'd second noname's suggestion and propose you a listening of any album from Colour Haze's discography (with a strong inclination towards Tempel or their eponymous album). It should please your ears.
(no need to review, just a necessary listening )

Last edited by Crazyjayde; 07-10-2013 at 06:41 PM..
Crazyjayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #32
rayword45

I'll probably get to Colour Haze pretty soon.

Day 13: Highly Refined Pirates by Minus The Bear

Minus The Bear is an indie rock band from where Kurt Cobain hailed. They don't play power-chord repetitions, though, at least I assume not. They play math rock, the genre that applies bands like Slint and Rodan, bands with far more complex and angular guitar playing than Kurt could touch. It's also the root of mathcore, which applies to more quality bands like Protest The Hero and Dillinger Escape Plan (I also like to throw Soundgarden in there solely due to messed up time signatures. Truthfully the guitar isn't crazy technical enough). I heard of this band long ago, and I thought they had a stupid name (this was before I ever listened to Butthole Surfers or Andrew Jackson Jihad or anything else with a weirdo band name) and somehow I was scared they would sound like Arab on Radar. On that last part looking back I have no freaking idea why. Looking at other bands of this genre, I have high hopes which I expect to be crushed. Which technically means I have low hopes, doesn't it?

This is not Slint-like at all. I'm sad.

0/10

Okay maybe not, that's only the first 30 seconds and that wasn't much of a fair chance. The songs are a mixture of guitar tapping, guitar arpeggiating and the odd addition of crappy synths. Also, this guy can sing, unlike Brian McMahan where the only time he tried to sing about washing machines it was so poor it turned a melancholy song hilarious. It's a good thing he stuck to speaking for songs like Good Morning, Captain. Speaking of melancholy, these songs do not fit the titles at all. Nor does the album title fit, at all. These guys would be the wimpiest pirates ever, no amount of refinement would ever lead to pirates sounding like this. But then again, album and song titles don't mean anything.

Anyways, back to the music. This album takes lyrics about sex, boozing and partying, and attempts to make it melancholy. And you know what? Half the time, it works! The other half of the time I would like to duct tape the singers mouth shut so I can listen to the guitar work without thinking "This is one of those emo losers." Because of that, Andy Wolff is my favorite track. The lyrics aren't ALL BAD though. Most tracks include a fair amount of wordplay when the vocalist isn't whining about banging a girl while cutting himself. I'd like to actually see a song about that. Imagine the title to that track. Regardless of the vocals, the plinking tap guitar is enjoyable enough, and the changing time signatures are enough to satisfy the term "math rock", at least as far as I know. Those synths also have great camp value with how awful they are.

I just realized that my joke rating makes no sense, because I'm not giving out ratings. But if you like guitar or hearing people sing in a slightly whiny voice about having a good time, listen to this. If you don't like that second part, listen to Andy Wolff first, then give the rest a try. If this is considered emo, this is what emo should sound like. It kicks bad emo bands like My Chemical Romance in the ass. Those synths are still laughable though.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:26 PM   #33
rayword45

Day 14: Until The Quiet Comes by Flying Lotus

Today*I'm going to write a review of Until The Quiet Comes by Flying Lotus. This dude makes bumper music for [adult swim]. I chose this album because it wasn't too long due to a lack of time. Thus, this review will be very terse.*Today's prediction is similar to those Nujabes instrumentals with a dash more drums. You know, like [adult swim] commercial music.

The bells in Getting There are nice. And that's the conclusion of any further track-by-track I think. I get a mix of downtempo, IDM and jazz, like if Aphex Twin attempted a jazz record. No, that's not accurate at all. My IDM knowledge is quite limited. Seriously, listen to the [adult swim] bumps. Turns out I lied about the "no more track-by-track" but, but it's worth mention. Electric Candyman features Thom Yorke, probably on vocals alone. I get 2 thoughts from that.

1. "This doesn't sound nearly as dated as Kid A"

2. "Wow, I'm assuming this is FAR less obscure then I thought, which is not that obscure at all."

I don't have much to say about this one. If you like the other artists on Warp like Aphex Twin, Auchtere or Boards of Canada then by all means try this. The end, I apologize for half-butting this but I don't think any more detail is necessary. If you like the Warp Records sounds, here's some more, this time with a jazzy finish. And if you like [adult swim] bumper music maybe you'll like this, although taking in 30 seconds is much different from a 45 minute album.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:39 PM   #34
rayword45

Day 15: Surtur Rising by Amon Amarth (Album Choice: Jonlovesddr)

Amon Amarth is a death metal band. People call them viking metal because they sing about vikings or something, but the ever intelligent frontman said that it's a stupid name for a genre because the vikings didn't have electric guitars. Hooray for literalism. Unlike the brutal death metal of Oral Fistfuck, these guys play melodic death metal. Which is (judging solely off of Metalocalypse) much easier to stomach. Also unlike Oral Fistfuck's Cult of Mictlan, this isn't an EP, but rather a full album. Which means I can give it a full review.

Unlike the EP I mentioned several times already, this album does not start with a guy screaming, instead it took about 15 seconds of guitar playing. Didn't catch me off guard this time. So for the first song, I must say that the guitar KICKS TOTAL ASS. I have no idea what this guy is growling about, seriously. I'm assuming it's about going to Midevil Times with The Cable Guy. Jesus Christ my jokes suck as much as the guitar rocks. This second song is titled Tock's Taunt - Loke's Trachery Part II but Part I isn't on this album. I guess I'm missing something, or they didn't title it as Part I before, just like they did with Sleep Part I: Slowly Growing Deaf on Mr. Bungle's Mr. Bungle. Before the bonus track, it seems this thing is straight-up death metal from starting track to end, except for a coda in A Best I Am that's instrumental and lasts for less than 2 minutes. The bonus track, Aerials, is probably the most dynamic track, with the first chorus being sung melodically! And judging that, it's probably for the best that this guy sticks to death growls.

I pulled up a lyrics sheet, and... It's about vikings. And death. I'm not gonna go so far as say I enjoy the vocal style (says the guy who listens to hardcore punk bands and loves the Meat Puppets debut) but it definitely works for this kind of music, plus the guy can't sing. And thankfully, the vocals are kept low enough in the mix for it not to be overbearing, a complaint I have that seems far too common (like in In The Aeroplane Over The Sea despite being a favorite of mine). We're not talking Jesus Lizard low but I can turn up the music without yelling for the guy to shut up so I can focus on the guitar. There's no twists or turns to be found in this music, but it's pretty good music.

BONUS REVIEW

After a rather anti-climatic conclusion, I've decided to do a bonus review. I'm doing another request from the same guy, The City EP by Madeon. This is the blindest I've been to an album thus far (being a spur-of-the-moment choice), so any requests would be pretty redundant. I just realized I didn't predict anything for Amon Amarth so for the hell of it, I'm going to guess this band sounds like David Bowie. First I'm going to listen to some folk music, for no reason. Then I'll review this.

5 tracks, 3 actually with different names. And this is dance music. I'm done being blind. Apparently the guy who released this was 18 when released. He also did the jackass move of releasing all 3 tracks (I don't care if it's 5, one's an extended cut and one is a live track of another) as singles. (Correction: They're all remixes here except for the first track. Most remixes I consider to be quite bland so I'm pretending these are the originals, however you can nullify that complaint I made.) Another problem, track order. Why would you put one track after THE EXACT SAME TRACK WITH A CUT INTRO? (Correction: They're not the exact same, but still similar enough.) And then there's a live track right before a studio track. (Correction: They're quite different, also this live track lacks crowd noise).

I'm done complaining. None of the complaints I made are about any of the actual tracks. I guess that's a good thing. Not rating this.

Last edited by rayword45; 07-12-2013 at 09:00 PM..
Old 07-13-2013, 06:52 PM   #35
rayword45

Day 16: Transformalin by Diagnose: Lebensgefahr (Album Choice: Wayward Vagabond)

I tried to avoid reviewing albums in foreign languages but say what you will, I don't care, I couldn't resist it.

I've been listening to a lot of Japandroids recently, and I have them stuck in my head now. Ah well.

The reason I couldn't resist it is because it was described as "a really intense album" that "brings chills down my [his] spine" but everyone that the album has been shown to "has(understandably) been turned off by it enough to stop listening to it". This is definitely worth a shot, even if I'll need a translator. This is another very blind jump, so let me rank my several predictions.

1. Some brutal death/black metal with unintelligible vocals
2. Scary music in the vein of dark ambient/drone/noise music mixed with screaming or dissonant breaks or something (which would put people off)
3. Metal Machine Music II without Lou Reed (if this is the case Wayward you are a pretentious douchebag)

No matter what, I'm determined to listen to the whole thing.

A lot of these songs have progressive lengths. Oh joy. This is why I'm not a Dream Theater fan. The cover has either a hospital or a coroner, and the first track is dark ambient. Being a short track, I can see that it may change, but it is chilling. The second track has a... Heartbeat fade-in? Here comes vocals... It's not foreign to me! It's just.. Weird. There are going to be a lot of ellipses in this review. "Pull out my teeth" and "remove my eyes" are just some of the beautifully poetic lines in this album. I need to pull this out of the charger and blindfold myself, I assume this is less interesting in bright daylight. This album reminds me of the concept of the third Fantomas album, Delirium Cordia which was one track over an hour about surgery without anesthesia. I get a slightly similar idea from these first two tracks, though somewhere in there you'd have to throw in crystal meth. But it turns out (after a brief Google) that this album was written as therapy for the artist after he was sent to an asylum... And there's another ellipse because if you can't tell my exact reaction is WHAT THE FU

Nearing the end of track 3, it's still bright outside so I've decided to wrap a blanket around my head and attempt to visualize these noises. Maybe I'll get it. I'll also attempt to write with this blanket on my head, I'll have to fix my typos. This 5th track contains pig squeals and a marching band. I had to take off the head blanket to type that sentence. Back on it goes.

I took the blanket blindfold off at the end of the 6th track. So here's a list of daydreams I got in such a brief timespan.

-Watching a speech on meth
-A guy giving a speech on meth
-A girl who can't breath very well and is getting surgery without anesthesia (this is an outlier)
-A guy in the hospital on meth
-A black metal singer making music on his computer on meth

Overall, there seems to be a lot of drug influence to this music, or this guy is completely wacked out. There is some essence of an eerie vibe to this music, but less then I expected after the first track. The 7th track, The Last Breath of Tellus sounds like a purgatory orchestra. With a guy chanting to you about how you've done 50 percent good and bad things. But then it turns into actual electronic music which I refuse to define further. Not that haunting, actually mildly enjoyable (which is exaggerated on this album) and... It went to screams. Mani VS Apati reminds me of that middle section of Raisans by Dinosaur Jr except there's no bass, drums, guitar, or any real melody. Just that bit with the old guy with mental problems screaming. The penultimate track, Obducentens Drom features a warm, tape recorder-esque sound and if you can't tell I'm just drooling all my thoughts onto the keyboard. And this last track has me finally thinking that this album is partially formulaic. Around half of the tracks are ambient music played with some insane meth addict screaming "NYAAAAAAH SPLEIGOON! ASTON! ASTON! CREEEEEHEHHEEEELILILILILI!" repeatedly. That or something else in a language I don't know. The other half of the time it's in English, very rarely with prominent drums.

Well, what can I say about this album? I can say that I sat through it. I can say that it's definitely a chilling listen. Oh yeah, I can also say "WHO IS THIS MARKETED TO!?". I honestly don't know how there could possibly be a niche large enough to appreciate this kind of music, this sounds like it was designed to make the mentally ill commit suicide. No joke. And for that reason, I give it a recommendation! Only because I want to find out who actually really likes this kind of music. It's one interesting album. I feel like it deserves a re-listen though, for 3 reasons.

1. Because it's a "challenging" album. Cliche but true.
2. Because I feel like the setting I listened to it in isn't the most appropriate. It should be listened to in a room with very little furniture, in the dead of night, played loudly on speakers. That or it should be played at Guantanamo Bay.
3. Mostly, because I want to compare this to Delirium Cordia despite having never listened to that, and the fact that it may not be similar at all.

But yeah, I recommend this to EVERYONE solely to see what market this is for. It's also an interesting look into the mind of an unstable black metal singer.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:51 PM   #36
rayword45

Day 17: This Is Our Science by Astronautalis (Album Choice: Efe Clemenza)

Today's review is of a white rap album. I'm not a fan of white rap, let me be honest. Some are okay, like the Beastie Boys (which has a fair amount of punk to it) but for the most part hearing white people rap is an exploration of hilariously pathetic attempts at flow and lyrics that make you want to burn someone (for that last one, looking mainly at Anthony Kiedis). It's even worse when people who are talented in rock music attempt hip-hop. And to think Chris Cornell was so good in Soundgarden. I don't give a shit if Scream wasn't actually hip-hop it was produced by Timbaland so I automatically think of it as such.

Back on track. So anyways, this guy is Caucasian, and he's a rap producer. This would normally be a red flag considering the past collections of musical sadness. (Hey, Al Sharpton said you can't be racist against white people, did he not?) This guy, however, is often compared to Beck, if Beck was more into hip-hop. I am a fan of Beck despite the many awkward rap tracks he makes. That would give me high hopes, except he's said to mix "electro house, blues and indie rock" into hip-hop. No folk or funk rock? Where the hell is the Beck comparison? There are other eclectic artists and I don't recall Beck ever really covering electro house. Ah well, let's give this a shot. I feel like quoting several websites counts as a prediction.

Meh, I'm not big on this dude's voice. But it's not excruciating like Lil B and his lyrics aren't excruciating like Lil B so I'm happy. This isn't entirely hip-hop, Measure The Globe seems very ballad-y. As a matter of fact, it seems this album is only hip-hop pretty sparingly, with a fair dose of eclecticism throughout. There's a mixture of acoustic instrumentation, synthesizers, and pop rock structures. I don't like most pop rock, just like I don't like most Caucasian rap. But this is a very respectable effort in music and I'm glad I wasn't subjected to the equivalent of an Anthony Kiedis solo hip-hop album. If such a thing ever comes into existence I must punch Rick Rubin in the face. Onto the lyrics, they also weren't a total disaster! I didn't hear everything, but never did I think to myself "This guy is a wigger." With the comparisons to Beck, I'll say these rap tracks are better lyrically then anything he has done in terms of hip-hop.

This is better then I expected, maybe I should leave it at that. Despite being a bit unfocused overall you have to admire this guys ambition in terms of musical versatility. And his total lack of suck when it comes to lyrics is a plus. I'm still not a fan of Caucasian hip-hop, so I guess the album wasn't so remarkable as to change my mind. But it's not painful, and that puts up above most white rap. Have I said that already? Whatever, that's my conclusion.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #37
rayword45

Day 18: For Now I Am Winter by Olafur Arnalds (Album Choice: Choofers)

This marks the first neo-classical review I'm doing. I've gotten more then a few requests from this genre, but I decided to wait it out. I don't know why, except maybe the fact that I have NOTHING INTERESTING TO SAY ABOUT CLASSICAL. I've never taken any music theory or music analysis classes, and I like my music either electronic-based (I don't know how to make that more specific, but stuff like Ke$ha or Crunkcore does not apply. Stuff like IDM and House mainly), headbangable (seriously, need to make these a lot more specific, I don't headbang to emo or screamo. Or Christianity. Or Crunkcore. Goddamn this is hard.) or weird for the sake of being weird (that's good enough, except... Damn you Lady Gaga). Or whatever adjective I can apply to folk rock but not country. I think I missed a few potential genre adjectives. That whole thing was incredibly pointless, adjectives are too vague when it comes to music. But like I said, I don't feel qualified to review many genres, and classical is probably at the top. I don't understand when people have debates over which 18th-century European composer had superior compositions due to "vizualizations". If I wanted to visualize something I'd listen to a concept album, preferably one where I can just read the lyrics. Failing that, I find ambient music is easier to daydream to. I also don't know how to "analyze interpretations" or "interpret analyzations" or whatever. It's a skill that must take some serious time to learn.

Rant is over now, and I don't know why I typed all that, this is NEO-classical music, neo meaning new. The people who tell me I must dissect some bullshit to appreciate old-classical typically hate this stuff because they can see it performed by the composer without a time machine. Which means I don't have to worry about their teachings. Still, this review (unlike that rant) is probably going to be pretty short.

Well... That rant was even less necessary then I thought (which was next-to-none). This isn't that classical sounding. I mean, it is inarguably neo-classical music, but there are definite electronica influences with the fast drums in some tracks. And there are clear vocals in front of the soundscapes on a few tracks. Did I mention the soundscapes? There's a lot of them. And appropriate usage of sound effects in songs like This Place Was A Shelter.

See, now I would go with the typical "don't know what the hell to say" praise of "Oh, I can tell there was a lot of time and care put into composing this" but let's be honest, when CAN'T you say that? When you can't say that, you know the album sucks, just like Human After All. I never go out of my way to listen to classical music, and the electronica-influence here is minimal at most. Again, I'm not that qualified to review this kind of music, it isn't really to my liking. I think the closest thing to classical that I listen to on a semi-regular basis is The Flashbulb.

But hey, if you like classical, give it a shot (how many times have I said those 4 words?). I can't recommend this because I don't know how to separate quality when it comes to classical music unless it's an entire earful of suck.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #38
rayword45

People should recommend more albums. Seriously.

Day 19: Halycon Digest by Deerhunter (Album Choice: Gus V.)

Here's a band which I have heard of... I think. I don't know anything about them so let me see what I can find and maybe it'll ring a bell.

Nope. So apparently these guys play "ambient punk" with touches of noise rock, neo-psychedelia and shoegaze. What the hell is ambient punk I don't know. They're also on 4AD, who released, among many things, 6 of the hi-fi Mountain Goats albums.
I'm quite interested in seeing what ambient punk is. Seems kind of hypocritical, like "acoustic metal" or "folktronica" or "good post-grunge". But hey, those first 2 actually exist. My prediction is Lux Interior singing over Boards of Canada which makes absolutely no sense.

And holy crap was I wrong. The neo-psychedelia and "ambient" are the only things I get out of these first 4 tracks. Where's the punk? These guys don't have the DIY sound, the abrasive fast music, the either snotty or indecipherable vocal style, this isn't punk. I can vaguely see the shoegazing bit, but this is quiet compared to the loud-as-hell shoegazing I'm used to. It's like some soft, dreamy guitar with quiet vocals over an ambient music backdrop. Lux Interior my ass. This is less punk than Good Charlotte. (Important Note: "Less punk" does NOT mean worse. The fact that I can tolerate a full 4 songs should be a clear indicator this is better than Good Charlotte.)

For a comparison, I'd say a cross between a very, very quiet My Bloody Valentine and Pavement works. I don't see the noise rock, I don't see the punk, garage rock or noise in here. I just see some run-of-the-mill dream pop with a dash of ambient here and there, and horns. Horns make everything better, from ambient to metal to hip-hop to hardcore punk to JAZZ! Other then that, there's still no garage to be found nearing the last track. This is a rather linear album, and it's not like the band description at all. The last song ends abruptly, which strangely isn't one of my musical pet peeves (I seem to have a lot that I don't know about). Apparently it's about Jay Reatard, and that's the closest thing to a punk rock connection I have heard.

I feel like I've spent the entirety of this review complaining, and that's not fair. It's not bad music at all. I was just overexcited at the prospect of ambient punk and disappointed with the results. It's pretty decent dream pop, though I'm not 100% sure I can agree with such a high Metascore. It lacks the memorability I look for in dream pop. That and for gaming I usually consider metascores too low so I'm inclined to add a few points.

Welp, that's all subjective. And in terms of subjectivity, as long as Kanye West has a 94, anything goes in my book. Not a bad album at all, Halycon Digest. Just remember that ambient punk is a serious misnomer.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #39
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to noname219

Coincidence, I've listened to Monomania by Deerhunter earlier today. And yes, it's far from Ambient Punk. Very close to Neo-Psychedelia with Noise Rock influences (might explain why people think it's Shoegaze)

I've got more suggestions for you, but you should first review the albums I've mentioned on page one :
Gospel - The Moon Is a Dead World
Harmonium - Si on avait besoin d'une cinquième saison
BT - This Binary Universe

Last edited by noname219; 07-16-2013 at 08:30 PM..
noname219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #40
rayword45

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname219 View Post
Coincidence, I've listened to Monomania by Deerhunter earlier today. And yes, it's far from Ambient Punk. Very close to Neo-Psychedelia with Noise Rock influences (might explain why people think it's Shoegaze)

I've got more suggestions for you, but you should first review the albums I've mentioned on page one :
Gospel - The Moon Is a Dead World
Harmonium - Si on avait besoin d'une cinquième saison
BT - This Binary Universe
Yeah, I plan to get to yours soon.

It's just that I'm waiting for a day where I'm really tired because Tempel is described as stoner rock, and that made Dopesmoker so much better XP