Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Other Music Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2011, 01:34 PM   #61
Phynx
I'm Forever
FFR Veteran

Default Re: KeyBeatOnline.com

I dunno, I figured the inactivity on KBO would allow you to open up more to things Boofang but damn , I see things haven't changed. Lol I admit, your persistence is admirable but your lack of acceptance and open mindedness to new ideas still blows me away. I wanted to turn KBO into a trendsetter in the industry but your ideals actively disengage peoples interest in the game.

Phynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:45 PM   #62
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to darkshark Send a message via MSN to darkshark Send a message via Yahoo to darkshark

^ This. Could not agree more.
darkshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:29 PM   #63
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

I've talked with stargroup about this on AIM a bit so I understand his motivation a bit more.

While grand totals are useful in the short-run, in the long-run they will act as a disincentive much in the same way grades currently do. Over time, you'll have something of a grandtotal aristocracy, and players will think "there's no way I'm going to beat that" in the same way that they would with grades.

However, weekly and monthly totals are still on the board. These give players something of a clean slate, allowing new players to feel like they have a chance. This incentive system works similar to the batch system in FFR, which as you know works pretty well.

I've tossed the idea of badges you can get for being in the top of the weekly/monthly totals, so we'll see.
Arch0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:36 PM   #64
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Also, about noteskins. I don't like that idea -- and I think stargroup doesn't either -- because it gives the impression that we're Stepmania and that we are simply an alternate play mode of that program. We want people to come to the game with a blank slate so that they can think about KBO as KBO, not as a DDR mod.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #65
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch0wl View Post
Also, about noteskins. I don't like that idea -- and I think stargroup doesn't either -- because it gives the impression that we're Stepmania and that we are simply an alternate play mode of that program. We want people to come to the game with a blank slate so that they can think about KBO as KBO, not as a DDR mod.
That's kind of a hopeless endeavor as long as it's a music game with receptors at the top. Making the notes into circles is a good start I guess.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:44 PM   #66
Jousway
FFR Player

I made other noteskins for KBO
http://jousway.co.uk/Unlimited_Stepm..._Noteskin/KBO/

edit: I would like a list of all the thing I can do with xml for kbo noteskins so I can make shit better
also if it had scripting like lua for example I could proably make shit way better

Last edited by Jousway; 06-10-2011 at 04:57 PM..
Jousway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:06 PM   #67
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Izzy, you'd think so, but arrows are pretty much synonymous with DDR (and to a lesser extent FFR). It's very much like the association everyone would have for my console if I introduced a stick-based motion sensor. Circles and orbs are brand-neutral; they're used in so many music games and for so many different instruments on those games that no one thinks of anything in particular when they're used.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #68
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Blowmang: Grand totals are only a problem if you're waving them in everyone's face and attaching some sort of meaningful goal to them that would discourage newbies or make the game somehow zero-sum in terms of ability to gain reward.

Look at a site like Kongregate. You've got guys with thousands upon thousands of points, hundreds of badges ahead, hours of experience more than you, hugely impossible levels, etc, but this doesn't discourage new players from having something to strive for because there are rewards every step of the way that don't have any barriers to entry.

People like having huge checklists. It's why MMO's are successful, why Achievement systems work so well, and why we typically enjoy playing fun games with thorough completion.

tl;dr don't be an idiot, grand totals can be useful metrics. It's not the ONLY metric you should include, but it's still something, and I think it's retarded to say "I don't want to include it for ethical reasons." The hell are you talking about? There's nothing that goes against ethics here, nor is there anything that provides artificial game-inflation or hollow content in the same way that a carrot-on-a-string MMO might employ.

And, let's face it, KBO can't afford to be picky right now.

Last edited by Reincarnate; 06-12-2011 at 02:51 PM..
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:03 AM   #69
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

I've actually written a lot about how KBO needs to implement more reward systems and achievement systems, especially a quasi item system at some point. I don't know which priority precedes what or how long it is until it could be a reality, but it's definitely something I think needs to happen.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:47 AM   #70
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

As far as ethics goes, it's only something to consider if everyone agrees something is unethical. The whole reason for not doing unethical things is that other people will look at them, notice they're unethical, and think less of you for it. But in the case of grandtotal, nobody seems to agree with stargroup. Practically every big community-driven video game has it in some form, and when most people notice it's not a part of KBO, they will be disappointed, not glad. I do understand the personal reasons for not wanting that statistic there, but that's all they are, personal reasons. If your goal is to make a successful game, that conflict is just something that will have to be dealt with. You may not like it, but if it's how the world works, you just have to accept it.

About the difference between weekly/monthly totals and grandtotals, I think a short-term total encourages short-term play (such as whoring the game for a few days), but doesn't encourage long-term play, which you absolutely need to get good at a rhythm game like this. Especially at the very start, there are only a few easy files you can comfortably play, so you end up doing them over and over again (and not even getting very good scores on them), which can get frustrating. It's a lot easier to play some other game with no learning curve - how about a nice shooter or tower defense or puzzle game? - so you need something that a low-level player can work towards and be proud of, something that won't go away in a month and render their work worthless. You want a reason someone will come back and keep playing the next week, even though there are no new songs and they haven't noticeably improved. And ideally it's something that will develop the player's skills as they work on it. Grandtotal does all of that, and it's easy and familiar.

tl;dr: You might be unhappy with grandtotal in the game, but nobody else is. Not having it hurts new casual players, and a periodic grandtotal doesn't completely fill the gap.

And hey, if you want submissions, sorry, but I can't help you there. I suck too hard at stepping.
qqwref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:42 AM   #71
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Having a large selection of easy, easy files is also a good start
Old 06-15-2011, 08:21 AM   #72
Phynx
I'm Forever
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
Wall of Text
Holy shit this omg thank you Rubix. THIS says so much that Bufang needs to pay attention to. >____<!!

Phynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:04 PM   #73
Secks69
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Secks69

Bufang, quit being a dick
Secks69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:29 PM   #74
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Yeah, let's avoid turning this into the mindlessly-bash-stargroup thread.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:40 PM   #75
Hakulyte
the Haku
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite- View Post
Let's add an adventure mode!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zolaric View Post
With multiplayer co-op mode !!
I know you guys are joking, but that would actually be fun.
Hakulyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:47 PM   #76
stargroup100
behanjc & me are <3'ers
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakulyte View Post
I know you guys are joking, but that would actually be fun.
We were only quarter-joking. Concepts are already in the works.

Unfortunately, they are long-term because you won't see them until well after beta release, but these are definitely being worked on.

Piano Etude Demon Fire sheet music
stargroup100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:50 PM   #77
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

teedly deedly dinky dink ringalingadingdong
Old 06-15-2011, 02:54 PM   #78
Hakulyte
the Haku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
teedly deedly dinky dink ringalingadingdong
Go back to Kongregate.

..and take me with you.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:54 PM   #79
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I am everywhere
Old 06-15-2011, 03:03 PM   #80
Hakulyte
the Haku

I am everyone

More seriously, I'm a living proof that Grandtotal matters and I'm very curious about what you think could replace it in order to achieve a similar level of interest for players who eventually get stuck at a point and need an indicator that they're actually "getting somewhere". I mean, while video games recently are using cheap means like cute graphics to attract people and achievements to keep them busy. You'll have to try to come up with something similar but different to have a similar purpose if you want to keep people while being "ethical". If you manage that, you just pwned the current biggest companies on the world that are about to get punch in the face by people getting tired of being considered like monkeys. Oh wait- I believe we already have those companies got hacked threads.

Last edited by Hakulyte; 06-15-2011 at 04:00 PM..