Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-7-2014, 05:53 PM   #1
Arkuski
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Arkuski Send a message via Skype™ to Arkuski
Default Internet Piracy

I hope we can all have fun debating for and against internet piracy. I'm really interested to see where everyone's stance is on this, so I can be ultra edgy trole contrarian. But seriously, I think this is a very serious subject we are discussing and I encourage everyone to weigh in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
i can appreciate a good looking woman when i see one and this one just happened to be my mom
Arkuski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2014, 05:57 PM   #2
Razor
Dan "Razor" Devilz
Retired StaffFFR Simfile Author

Default Re: Internet Piracy

arkuski, serious subject, same sentence

l 0 L
3rd: Retro City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers
I play Stepmania, so I know everything about media formats.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2014, 05:57 PM   #3
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to psychoangel691

I'd like to be able to look at it like no big deal because all these companies make so much money, but the problem is that when they start losing money they start hurting the little guys that don't make so much money. The big guys at the company have to make their huge salary you know. Nobody else matters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBackpack View Post
also a fucking helicopter is the absolute last place I'd go to find out how big my dick is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_God_10 View Post
Dawg you don't even know. It's so fuckin' small I can use a pen cap to jack off

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
yeah I'mma go for the Rave7 route she's just perfect, stiff on the top, thin in the middle, and has a BIG THICC END that I can just jack on all night UwU best girl
psychoangel691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2014, 05:59 PM   #4
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

stepmania
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2014, 06:17 PM   #5
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Stepmania is Internet Piracy. We're taking songs, stepping it, and releasing files that are on albums!

Piracy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Charu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2014, 06:21 PM   #6
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Stepmania is Internet Piracy. We're taking songs, stepping it, and releasing files that are on albums!

Piracy!
this is actually true.
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2014, 06:25 PM   #7
Kibblre
Caelondia Represent
FFR Veteran

Tommy Refenes, programmer of Super Meat Boy:

"As a forward-thinking developer who exists in the present, I realize and accept that a pirated copy of a digital game does not equate to money being taken out of my pocket," Refenes begins.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/20/te...ty-drm-piracy/

I like his stance on piracy.

EDIT: This one's a good read too: http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/07/27/is-piracy-good

Last edited by Kibblre; 01-7-2014 at 06:28 PM..
Kibblre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2014, 07:38 PM   #8
mellonxcollie
Sectional Moderator
TGB Queen
Sectional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mellonxcollie Send a message via MSN to mellonxcollie Send a message via Skype™ to mellonxcollie

"a pirated copy of a digital game does not equate to money being taken out of my pocket"

This is really what it comes down to in my opinion. "Stealing" means that you are taking something from someone and they can no longer profit from that thing. If you steal a bag of chips from the store, the store can no longer make a profit from those chips and they lose the money that they spent to order the chips to the store. When something is pirated, nothing is lost in that sense. The only thing that is lost is "potential" sales which really means nothing. The creator can still distribute and profit from their creation regardless of how many people pirate it.

I worked at a movie theatre for years and got into unlimited movies (+ a guest!) for free. While I was working there I probably saw 2-3 movies a week. Since I've stopped working there about 3 years ago I've probably seen less than 10 movies that entire time. I only go to the movies now when there is something that I really want to see. The fact is that the only reason I saw those movies is because I got into them for free, I would not have spent money on them otherwise. The same is true of most pirated media I consume. If I had to pay for it, I just wouldn't watch it at all, and if I like it enough, I do pay for it or try to support the franchise in other ways (ie anime figures).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
people like you are how trump gets elected
mellonxcollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2014, 08:05 PM   #9
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

For every person who doesn't pirate unless they know they would never buy it anyway, 100 unemployed teenagers are just pirating every single piece of media they consume ever.

Check how many people pledge 1 cent for humble bundles, and 1 or 0 cents for the 'pay what you want' things you can find around these days.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2014, 08:23 PM   #10
popsicle_3000
Legendary Noob

Send a message via Skype™ to popsicle_3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
Check how many people pledge 1 cent for humble bundles, and 1 or 0 cents for the 'pay what you want' things you can find around these days.
i see those and think that it must not be legit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
39,000 popsicles pro bg blue note arrow slayer whoa damn..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
one way to stream them all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Right after sex, it skillboosted me by +10 levels from like a 35-45 about. (Which then 15 min's later I got really tired and couldn't play anymore)

But then my lady friend got pissed off I was playing FFR instead of playing her. Then for the rest of the night she played the 'Only want me for my body' card and I didn't get to sleep with blankets that night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesunfan View Post
replacing ifitypedhisnameaslargeashisnamesuggests,iwouldgetbanned with theelongatedaustrocanadian3000 (pop).
Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben_tate View Post
Title: Popsicle Three

Thousand the farthest
He's gone in an official
Whoop hip hip hooray!
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
kjwkjw: "oh my god, Tosh. Post that in the thread."

@popsicle_3000:
Danger incoming
The popsicles are melting
Three thousand of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
you got to ease the topic into some conversation and let it go from there

dynam0: man friend that was an intense sm session right?
friend: haha yeah you really nailed those patterns
dynam0: yeah man kind of like how gay dudes nail other gay dudes in the ass!
friend: hey bro can i tell you something
dynam0 yeah man whats up?
friend: hypothetically speaking would you care if i was bisexual or maybe even gay?
dynam0: bro we shower together after sm sessions all the time and i'll still shower with you even if you are gay or w/e thats your thing just dont try to ram my ass HAHAHA
friend: thanks man
dynam0: no problem man
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
pop takin' time out of playing irl Trauma Center to check in on his fiffer buds (mm)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Well, Popsicle won every award this year so it was canceled.
popsicle_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2014, 08:43 PM   #11
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to noname219

Pay-what-you-want only works when you have a strong social web presence and have a product users like love.
noname219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2014, 11:13 PM   #12
Banned
FFR Veteran

i love set your own prices. always go with the zeroooooo~

man it sucks to be a poor loser :/
top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2014, 11:40 PM   #13
omega_grunt666
Nescio quid faciam
FFR Veteran

If the person can't afford the content, or doesn't want to pay for it, then no one is really losing money on it. If the product is good, it will sell well despite any amount of pirating going on in the background. That being said I don't fully support it, but there are cases where pirating is actually helpful, like when a game is no longer available on the market or the developer shuts down/stop supporting it.

Sometimes software doesn't have a trial version or the trial version is so limited you can't get a good idea of how well it will work for you. I've used a ton of cracked versions of software for various reasons, and when it turns out its something I'll actually use on a regular basis, I'll support the dev and pay for a legit copy. Without that avenue to try before I buy I probably wouldn't even have given it a second thought and walked off, so at least in this case pirating has made a few people a little bit of money.

My stance on music piracy is about the same, downloading for personal use in Canada is not a crime. If the artist is good I'll buy an album/merch and or go to a concert. Hard to have any sympathy for music copyright when you see ridiculous things like the RIAA suing some stay at home mom for $1.92M over 24 songs. Granted in that case it was a bit of a power user scenario, but I've yet to hear a "damages" quote that wasn't pulled out of some ones ass who has no realistic idea of the actual figures. Oh yeah, if those 105 downloaders didn't have this one mp3 available from you, they probably would of all bought 6 albums a piece and gone to every concert for the rest of the artists career. And named their children after them, and remodeled their house with artist-approved materials. But because they got that one for free, none of that happened. $1,000,000,000,000 plz. The kind of musical piracy that needs to be targeted is people like Will.I.Am.

Last edited by omega_grunt666; 01-7-2014 at 11:43 PM..
omega_grunt666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-8-2014, 12:23 AM   #14
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

I pirate so I know what to spend the extremely small amount of money I have on.
Pseudo Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-8-2014, 12:53 AM   #15
JohnRedWolf87
Backlogger of Hobbies
FFR Veteran

I'm subscribed to Marvel Unlimited, where I can read digital comics on Marvel's website for a yearly fee.

However, as much as they try to keep up by adding comics every week, some older comics are missing from the database. Therefore, I download torrents of any comics they don't have uploaded.

I'm paying them $60 a year for unlimited access to their comics, anyways, so no harm done.

xBBx Takedown's First Tournament - 2nd Place (Beginner)
ZC_Wolfy's Birthday Tournament - 3rd Place (Novice)
Dragons_Fury One Division Higher Tourney - 2nd Place (Novice)
Samurai7694's Ultimate Enduring Fabulous Tournament - 3rd Place (D1)
Dark_Chrysalis' 1st FFR Bowl - 2nd Place (D1), 13th place overall
Panic4Me and MrMagic's Thanksgiving Tournament - 2nd Place (D1)
JohnRedWolf87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-8-2014, 01:51 AM   #16
adlp
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

it's complicated
Old 01-8-2014, 01:53 AM   #17
Ohaider
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

inevitable issue that if prevented would cause too much protesting to police
Old 01-8-2014, 09:58 AM   #18
Izzy
Snek

They fixed that problem on amazon awhile ago. They make it really easy to spend money with 1 click buy.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-8-2014, 10:46 AM   #19
omega_grunt666
Nescio quid faciam
FFR Veteran

It can't be that much of a novelty if thousands of businesses only do sales online. Its not particularly hard to arrange transactions online, if someone is smart enough to figure out how to get money in the first place they are more than qualified enough to figure out how to spend it in a different way. I don't think making it any easier is going to help "solve" piracy. And in what ways can it really be made easier? Most of the steps involved are providing billing/contact information which are necessary if you intend on purchasing physical goods or the transaction goes wrong for whatever reason. (After initial setup it is actually as easy as click and go. In fact, some people prefer a more complicated payment system because of the risk of fraud)

Generally speaking its HARDER to get the content for free because you need to know reliable sources (Or how to find/distinguish between them) or risk being infected by malware.

Ultimately the problem is there aren't any anti-piracy measures available that don't hurt the average consumer. People want content on all their various devices and locking it in any way can interfere with that. There are thousands of ways to share files and millions of files to be shared. Its just not possible to monitor all channels to keep pirated material unavailable. And even if it was easier to control, you still have thousands of people who for legitimate reasons would be looking for/finding ways around the system. It would also disrupt all the positive effects outlined in my previous post (Keeping legacy content available, trial before purchase, etc) in addition to making physical theft a more viable alternative. (ACTUALLY harmful)

We could spend millions trying to fight piracy but the means are so common there really isn't much point. Who is it really hurting? Look at Game of Thrones, the most pirated TV series of all time. HBO has straight up said that had no impact on its financial success.

You can measure the success of something by how torrented it is, but can you show me one shred of proof that pirating something has caused measurable damage to anyone? The reason the system works is content worth paying for is being bought, and if it isn't then its even less likely to be pirated. Things like humble bundle can operate because digital items cost nothing to produce more of, its 100% initial development cost. And that can easily be covered by the people paying more than $0.1. (The average even with those people is a few dollars) Besides, I don't actually think there has been a game included in a humble bundle that hasn't already made its costs back in initial sales before its inclusion. Putting things on sale is a great way to make money, something sold for less is better then something not sold at all. (it works for physical stores, why wouldn't it work 10x better when the stock is unlimited and free?) Anyways, It seems like most of the copyright cases are akin to patent trolls trying to get money where it isn't due. Of course the line is drawn when someone is attempting to make money off of someone else's work, that is legitimate copyright infringement. But as far as personal use and alike, no harm no fowl?

Last edited by omega_grunt666; 01-8-2014 at 10:53 AM..
omega_grunt666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-8-2014, 11:20 AM   #20
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

HBO is a paid subscription service for virtually everybody who watches it. One show airing on HBO isn't going to be hurt by piracy because everybody who has HBO has it for more than just Game of Thrones and won't cancel it just because they can pirate GoT. And the people who don't have HBO don't have HBO so they aren't costing them any money by downloading it instead of not watching it.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote