Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Art and Graphics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-6-2013, 02:52 PM   #141
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Send a message via MSN to Spenner Send a message via Skype™ to Spenner
Default Re: New lens

The whites were burned in the straight from camera exposure-- because I had it in RAW format, it still retained extra pixel info that just wasn't seen at the exposure taken. As long as it was kept in RAW format i was able to get more detail from those areas. Shadow/highlights filter in PS is also very good at getting more details from an otherwise burnt out area.

But yeah big advantage over shooting JPEG is being able to repair spots like that. If it's burned with a JPEG you're outta luck.

Spenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-6-2013, 08:56 PM   #142
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

~requested tutorial~

FOREWARNING; this tutorial is going to be pretty dense, and I will go into detail about what i did from start to finish.

Xiz requested awhile back that I walk through how this image was processed/edited:

edit:

original:

(PS: This will be sliiightly different than the original one you were talking about, since I don't have the PSD of the original edit :I I'll try to make this pretty close)

Tools needed:
-Photoshop (any CS2+ suite version should do)
-This plugin (allows you to open up an image in Camera Raw more than once, by double clicking on the layer thumbnail).

^TO GET THIS TO WORK, you MUST go into Edit > Preferences > Camera Raw. Under "JPEG and TIFF file handling", under TIFF, change the drop down menu to the bottom-most option.

-Original RAW/PSD image (the RAW file type is preserved when using the above plugin, instead of having it flatten).

So, to start, I first pulled a guide down to the horizon line and saw that it was a crooked. Using the CROP tool I rotated the image until the horizon lines up with the guide pulled down.

Once the horizon is straightened out, I see that the first problem is the lack of dynamic range (sky overexposed, bike underexposed), so this takes a bit of work to straighten out. You DEFINITELY need that plugin to do this part well (otherwise you'll be working destructively. For best results, use RAW images and the camera raw plugin).

We're going to start by fixing the bike exposure. Double click on the layer thumbnail.

In ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) i'm going to adjust the following calues:

- Contrast: -65
- Shadows: +20
- Clarity: + 20
- vibrance: +25

I wouldn't totally be concerned with sharpening yet, but if your image is soft, go nuts.

So now, we're going to start separating some elements. Duplicate the layer (CTRL+J) and right click on the thumbnail > Rasterize Layer.

Now, use the Quick Selection Tool (W) and make a selection around the bike. You're going to want to zoom in and adjust the brush size to get the basic contour. If it's not perfect that's perfectly fine, but make sure no parts are half selected.

After you've selected the bike, click the "Add Layer Mask" button and it'll isolate the bike (won't really be able to tell cuz of the layer copy under it). Make sure the unmasked layer is the one that's still a smart object.

Under the properties flyout menu, or the Mask panel, click the "Mask Edge" button.

Check "Smart Radius" and crank it somewhere in the 5 to 10 area, depending which gives a more natural looking edge to it.

Now that the bike is isolated I'm going to go to Image > Adjustments > Shadows/Highlights. These are the values I used which seemed to give a decent dynamic range:

Now, we're gonna leave the bike for now. Have the bottom/smart object layer selected, and go back into Shadows/Highlights. I used these values:

This is to get more detail back into the sky. Double click on the layer and get ACR up.

- Exposure: -0.50.
- Highlights: -50.

Leave the rest as they are. This is just to tone down the burn in the sky a bit more.

Still on the below layer, make a Curves adjustment layer. The curve should look roughly like this-- to the point where the asphalt looks like real asphalt

You're going to want to open up the mask panel for the curves layer mask, and click "Invert". Then, start painting white into the areas where the asphalt extends to. Use a soft edged brush. I also changed the opacity of the Curves layer to 80%, looks more natural.

Now, click back on the bike layer. Click on the mask thumbnail, and start painting in any areas that look too light. For example, the tire looks too light for the darkness that's under it. So, paint in black in the mask in those areas that are too light, to give it shadow. Go with a VERY soft brush with a low opacity because the layer underneath will probably be TOO dark to go 100%.

Also mask out the windows to make it match the scene better.

Next, gonna add a new layer underneath the isolated bike layer. Select a soft low opacity black brush, and paint in some shadow for under the tire (so it matches the hard black of the side of the tire).

The red wasn't really showing up as vibrant as it should, naturally, so i added a Colour Balance adjustment layer, clipped it to the bike layer (Hold ALT and click in between adjustment layer and bike layer). I moved the Red channel to +30. Then I masked out the tires, lights, and metal so they didn't look too red.

After, added a Photo Filter adjustment layer, 45% warm filter (non clipped- should go over the whole image). The scene is a bit off in temperature so warming it up will help the tones more.

Added a Curves adjustment layer at the top of all layers, with a curve like this:

Invert the mask and paint white in the areas you want to brighten up-- think sheen on the paint of the bike, brightening the foliage, some of the grass, amplify mid-lites, etc.

The rest is really just minor tweaks to taste... but what I did to finish the image off, after I saved a copy:

-Flatten the image
-Image > Adjustments > HDR Toning

Here's the values used:

Before/After HDR

For some, the HDR step might be too much, but I like the added details it brings out, and the antiquey sorta tonal range.

If you want more natural colour/vibrancy, you can do that with the Vibrance/Saturation slider, and playing with the Colour Balance adjustment layer more.

LASTLY the image is pretty damn sharp, but I'm going to sharpen it just to unlock a few more subtle details.

With your flattened image, duplicate it (CTRL+ J), and with that duped layer go Filter > Other > High Pass. Adjust it until you can only see the sharpened details you're wanting to bring out. (In this case, a 1-2 radius). After that, change the layer's blending mode to "soft light". That should bring out some of the weaker details.

And that's it~ save it/resize it and junk.

That was prolly WAY too much info. But there you go!!! Most of these steps are generally on-the-fly decisions as I'm editing. See an opportunity to amplify certain qualities of an image, go on it. Isolate main elements, and make them stand out. Takes more time but the results are generally worth it.

This process is pretty much the same for any landscape photos I do.

Old 02-6-2013, 09:11 PM   #143
Xiz
TWG Chaos
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Xiz

Dude. Dude. That helps me so much. Thank you man.

Xiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-6-2013, 09:14 PM   #144
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

You're quite welcome glad it's got some good info in it. Basically if you adhere to the basic idea of seeing what details you need to open up/what areas need to be lightened/darkened to have a more balanced exposure, you'll have a way easier time editing stuff. There's obviously a lot more complicated stuff one can adapt to an edit but not every topping is for everyone's cake~

Old 02-6-2013, 09:17 PM   #145
Xiz
TWG Chaos

It's kinda silly - I'm a film guy getting into photography, and i'm colorblind as hell. Editing with colors is hell for me lolz

Old 02-6-2013, 09:24 PM   #146
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

hi5 I'm absolutely blind for red/green undertones. They used to be discernible but now, a red might as well be a green, or a brown-- looks the same. Blue and purple and magenta are also identical. I usually get the colours way off, but I know when or when not to change colour temperature.

Doing that all with film... yikes. I feel your pain there. I worked in the paint department at home depot for 2 years, and I became known as the "go-to" guy for paint colour recommendations. (I AM THE WORST PERSON TO ASK THAT, I happened to know colour theory like the back of my hand, and could help people choose their OWN colours by asking them a bunch of colour related questions).

Old 02-6-2013, 09:29 PM   #147
Xiz
TWG Chaos

lol damn props to you. We are in the same boat. Luckily, technology is getting so advanced that presets can work, but then again thats cheating and cheap and stupid and i dont like doing that lol. Yeah, I cant see yellows-greens and reds-oranges... purples-blues either...

Old 03-2-2013, 09:31 PM   #148
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

I'm especially afraid when editing pictures of people and doing touchups on skin and whatnot. I can't tell if i'm making someone look sick or not sometimes x__x

Here's a pic from my cruise trip. I may or may not have more worthy of posting but here's one for now.

Old 03-2-2013, 09:37 PM   #149
Xiz
TWG Chaos

-boner-

Old 03-17-2013, 10:12 PM   #150
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

A few, from awhile back

Old 03-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #151
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to noname219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
A few, from awhile back

Love this one, the precision of the details is mesmerizing.
The only thing I would do, is to use a slightly bigger depth of field, because the left side of the iris is slightly blurried and it annoys me...

And btw, the shot with the snail and flower is perfect in every possible way.
noname219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:34 PM   #152
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Glad you dig the snail shot of mine, it's my personal favourite~ was reallllly happy when I got that shot

As for the eye, yeah, I should've shot at something above f/8 for the angle I was on. The lens I use has SUCH a short depth of field, you have to shoot at f/8 even when right over something. Usually f/16 or higher for any closer up @_@ glad you dig the details though~ I had to use some editing techniques to bring em out more. I usually have to do the same thing with every macro shot, my sensor just blurs out some of the finer stuff.

Old 05-3-2013, 01:55 PM   #153
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Finally some free time, I hope i can start shooting more~

Old 05-3-2013, 04:16 PM   #154
XxXMetalheadXxX
Lack of faith=disturbing
FFR Veteran

Some incredible photos, really enjoying them. The Close up of the eye is insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Ormix View Post
n ordR 2 ayayay song on maniastep you must mov ur fingr tothbeat of song an it recptr clean on ifyou do thgreat then no ayayay 4u
XxXMetalheadXxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-3-2013, 11:25 PM   #155
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Thanks glad you like em man. I love doing the closeups, here's a set today on the life of a poppy seed.

Yeah my sensor is dirty... oops.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:01 AM   #156
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Took the sunset pic tonight, testing out splitting a darker exposure of the sky and lighter exposure in the ground in the same raw shot (not HDR, just manually split).

Some portraits of me and the Linner~

: >

Old 05-28-2013, 02:02 AM   #157
NeoMasterPie
Forum User

swag
awesome pics

NeoMasterPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #158
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

B)

Here's another girlfrend pik

Old 08-1-2013, 02:05 PM   #159
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Some stuff I'd been meaning to edit/upload

Last edited by Spenner; 08-1-2013 at 02:10 PM..
Old 08-1-2013, 09:55 PM   #160
Syhto
BuMP it
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Syhto

Omg TEXTURE I would say its textual but everyone thinks that's like texting but wow man :thumbs: and thats a gr8 shot of that snake
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tao of Dossar
I never self-reflect, and therefore, I have no negative thoughts about myself. However I am also aware about my successes.
Syhto is offline   Reply With Quote