Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #21
Litodude
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Litodude
Default Re: Help with Understanding How I would Respond in Any Given Conversation

literally just shut the hell up otherwise you sound retarded and incompetent trying to fill in those absences of sound with hesitant language of "uh, uhm, well.., etc.," or using overly generalized tropes when you're trying to keep talking for no reason at all

pausing for too long should be the last of your worries: it can be seen as a specific prosodic style of conversing and indicates that you are careful with what you say. you shouldn't worry that others might think you take too long on your responses. it's natural to speak quickly as possible because that's just the normal rate of conversation in the states, but it often leads to misspoken accidents, a clear indication of idiocy, or a sign of impatience. there's a delicate balance of being able to make your words mean something as well as being heard.

suck my dick choof yeaaaaaaaaaaa

dude
out west?
the fuck kinda location is west?
am i buying weed off a gotdamn pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
remind everyone that i am an outed racist neo-nazi who no one in their right mind should ever interact with in any way whatsoever

http://imgur.com/a/Ww9g3
Litodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #22
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Help with Understanding How I would Respond in Any Given Conversation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MracY View Post
I'll help you and say that you should take any advice given here with a grain of salt, in case you aren't already.
Dynamo's post is filled mostly with shallow nonsense, for example.
lmao get the fuck out.

When people don't use the "ummm" set of words it makes them seem more composed and confident. I'm more likely to trust what they are saying.

I think one thing to keep things interesting in conversations is to tell your little critic demon on your shoulder to step off. If you say what comes to mind and don't let what-ifs/repercussions get in the way, sometimes you learn something new about yourself and the person you're talking to. Sometimes it might even lead to an awesome conversation!
Pseudo Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #23
drizzleRomanceGirl
rain of memories...
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to drizzleRomanceGirl
Smile Re: Help with Understanding How I would Respond in Any Given Conversation

Quote:
Originally Posted by awein999 View Post
I think it depends who it is you are interacting with, whether you know the person well or not. In my culture at least people tend to "fluff" small talk with people they don't know just because they crossed paths. You aren't satisfied with that and want something more meaningful. I suggest when another situation comes up you let your weird come out because then you can feel interesting. Even if it goes unappreciated it won't for long because life is contagious.

Edit:
So it could be like:
him: Hi, how are you?
you: Instead of saying "good" or "not bad" you reply about something specific that made you feel a certain way, maybe expand a bit on the open ended question.

If it turns out the person is disinterested or didn't want an answer then truly that person shouldn't ask in the first place and that's not your problem.

Having the mindset "let it go" seems to make sense to me.
Thank you, this can help me open up my personality by explaining how my day was. ^.^ I'll try to elaborate on questions in "small talk" (without spending too much time talking about myself).

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNya View Post
You'll have to excuse any shit phrasing here:

A person who really wants to actually talk to you, won't really care if you pause often to sort through thoughts and phrase sentences. It's part of your personality to do that, and that's part of what makes talking to you fun.

Maybe it's just me but it'd be more annoying to watch you force yourself to change to someone you're not naturally. Do what comes naturally, and just try to immerse yourself more often. Talking to people daily helps a lot. Or at least, it did for me.
I agree that pausing in a conversation can be part of my personality because I can think about what I would like to say, but I would also like to have an idea on what to say in general so that I have an idea on how to respond. I feel like I only say nice things in a conversation, but I would like to respond in a certain way that brings out more of my personality than just being kind.

I would love to talk with people daily, but right now I live in a college dorm where my roommates usually don't talk with me other then saying short greetings. My best friend went to another college, so right now I don't have anyone I talk with regularly. Hopefully I'll be able to make at least one good friend soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB_Spirit View Post
Haha i have the same problem, but because i don't want to talk to people.
Seriously though, wear your shoes
You are who you are, don't over think what you're going to say, it should come naturally. [insert big wall of text here]
Thank you, I agree to an extent, but I would like to have some sort of mindset on how to reply other than just being kind. I tend to get bored of talking with strangers a lot because I only reply with encouragement and kindness, and I don't offer my own opinions or way of thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynam0 View Post
I can understand your mindset for conversing since the small talk stuff seems insignificant at first glance, but you recognize that it really does affect relationships with others. I too dislike small talk with people that I don't know well but it's a good way of gradually revealing your personality to someone rather than jumping into an intimate or serious conversation right away.

The awkward pause issue depends on the situation I guess. If you're at the grocery store and the cashier says something along the lines of, "Hi, nice day isn't it?" the response should be almost instantaneous: "Yeah! Much better than the weather we've had the last few days." The response itself doesn't matter much at all; the cashier will likely not remember what you said at the end of the day but it's how you convey your answer with the tone you use which displays your personality. A pretty good example where small talk is used a lot is when you're getting a haircut. Unless you know your barber/hair stylist quite well, it's pretty much going to be small talk for 15-30 minutes. I'm not a chatty person either so my list of subjects gets exhausted pretty quickly after mundane things but off the top of my head you can talk about the weather (lol), the business of the barber shop, your education/work situation, goings-on in the news/sports world, price of gas (yeah people spend a good chunk of time venting on that one), etc. On the other hand, if you're in a conversation and are on the listening end where there is more dialogue on either side, the pause is important and not awkward because it shows you are listening and digesting what the other person has said.

Oh almost forgot...you can mask the awkward pauses (to some extent) with little gestures like "yeah, well..." in conversation. Seamless witty responses like in Gilmore Girls aren't going to happen realistically because the show is scripted. Authentic replies have a lot of redundant "yeah, umm, and likes"

This post if anything should give you a key personality trait of mine...I'm scatterbrained lmao
The issue is that I would like to find small talk interesting by showing my own personality. If I get bored with small talk, it'll lead me to become more reclusive and avoid talking with strangers altogether (unless I have something to say in particular).

In terms of small talk, I would like to offer more to say than I think the weather is nice or I'm feeling well, but I'm not sure what I would say to elaborate. When I mentioned pausing in a conversation, I meant pausing during my turn to speak after I listen to my conversation partner. Maybe during pauses I could say "please give me a little awhile to think of a response", but I really would like to have an idea of what I would like to say more often so I can develop my personality. Thank you for your advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MracY View Post
I'll help you and say that you should take any advice given here with a grain of salt, in case you aren't already.
Dynamo's post is filled mostly with shallow nonsense, for example.
I am taking everyone's advice with a grain of salt and applying it to how it would play out in a real-life situation, but I also would like to give everyone's advice a chance so that I can better understand what does and doesn't apply to me and work on what I think works for me. I think Dynam0 has some great points. ^.^

Quote:
Originally Posted by xNiX View Post
Spending less time on the internet increases your communication skills immensely.
I agree, but I'm not necessarily trying to improve my communication skills. I'm trying to develop my personality so that I have more of an idea of how to respond to small talk and conversations in general. I would like a starting point of how to develop my way of responding so I know where I would like to improve in a conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
Didn't you already make a thread like this?
EDIT:
http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...d.php?t=131558
It's similar, but that thread was about being friendlier and smoother when speaking, and this thread is about developing my personality rather than only being kind, and having an idea of how to respond in small talk situations. ^.^

Quote:
I agree with this, but the odd "umm" thrown in is better than a thousand-yard stare or awkward smile and roll of the eyes every time you engage in conversation with someone. Profanities thrown intermittently into a sentence is extremely common if you're in a blue collar job btw
I would rather say something other than umm or like when pausing to think about how to respond, so maybe I could tell the other person to wait for a little while if I'm not sure what to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litodude View Post
literally just shut the hell up otherwise you sound retarded and incompetent trying to fill in those absences of sound with hesitant language of "uh, uhm, well.., etc.," or using overly generalized tropes when you're trying to keep talking for no reason at all

pausing for too long should be the last of your worries: it can be seen as a specific prosodic style of conversing and indicates that you are careful with what you say. you shouldn't worry that others might think you take too long on your responses. it's natural to speak quickly as possible because that's just the normal rate of conversation in the states, but it often leads to misspoken accidents, a clear indication of idiocy, or a sign of impatience. there's a delicate balance of being able to make your words mean something as well as being heard.
I agree that pausing is a good way to give the other person a good impression that I'm careful when speaking, but when I do respond after pausing, I would like to have an idea of how to respond besides just stating my opinion. I would like to have an idea of how I respond when stating my own opinions besides having an idea of how I feel about the subject. I'd like to focus on how I say something, not what I would say.

*edit* I hope I don't sound harsh when addressing everyone's advice; thank you for your advice, everyone. I appreciate what everyone is telling me.

my discord username is drizzleRomanceGirl0706 in case anyone wants to message me

Division 5 2nd place

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosua View Post
Oh, I thought it was just my internet this whole time.
Quote:
Also that triple post is almost as delicious as a hot, fresh, Domino's pizza.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aperson View Post
can y'all take a break and kiss
(the first section of this chapter)

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5125582...sokyo-no-Jinja

Last edited by drizzleRomanceGirl; 11-23-2013 at 03:12 PM..
drizzleRomanceGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #24
Litodude
FFR Player

no, i've understood your concern about knowing 'what to say' but i was primarily addressing your concern about prosody. you know how to learn what to say in given situations? Read more. Rofl

dude
out west?

Quote:
remind everyone that i am an outed racist neo-nazi who no one in their right mind should ever interact with in any way whatsoever

Old 11-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #25
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
suck my dick choof yeaaaaaaaaaaa
no u
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #26
drizzleRomanceGirl
rain of memories...
FFR Veteran

Quote:
no, i've understood your concern about knowing 'what to say' but i was primarily addressing your concern about prosody. you know how to learn what to say in given situations? Read more. Rofl
I can read as much as I would like but I would rather not copy someone else's manner of speaking; I would like to develop my own.

my discord username is drizzleRomanceGirl0706 in case anyone wants to message me

Division 5 2nd place

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Old 11-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #27
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzleRomanceGirl View Post
I can read as much as I would like but I would rather not copy someone else's manner of speaking; I would like to develop my own.
everything is a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:55 PM   #28
drizzleRomanceGirl
rain of memories...
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Enigma View Post
everything is a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy.
Yes, but it's one thing to copy different manners of speech to create one original way of speaking, and it's another to completely copy a single person's manner of speech.

Division 5 2nd place

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by drizzleRomanceGirl; 11-23-2013 at 05:21 PM..
Old 11-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #29
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Yes, but it's one thing to copy different manners of speech to create one original way of speaking, and it's another to completely copy a single person's manner of speech.
true, do you not find that if you hang out with a person you like, you start talking and behaving similarly to them? It's a passive thing people do to learn to be more like what they like. It's copying, but it's subconscious for the most part!

I don't see much shame in it. Granted, I don't do it on purpose ever. I guess it would be like if I started making my profiles to look exactly like Evnoir's or WolfXHunter's. lol
Old 11-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #30
drizzleRomanceGirl
rain of memories...
FFR Veteran

Quote:
true, do you not find that if you hang out with a person you like, you start talking and behaving similarly to them? It's a passive thing people do to learn to be more like what they like. It's copying, but it's subconscious for the most part!

I don't see much shame in it. Granted, I don't do it on purpose ever. I guess it would be like if I started making my profiles to look exactly like Evnoir's or WolfXHunter's. lol
Yeah, but if it's unconscious I think that we would combine it with how we already act. However, if we consciously try to copy a person's manner of speech, I think we'll imitate it instead of integrating it with how we already speak.

Division 5 2nd place

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Old 11-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #31
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

Hmm, well then don't actively do it. Try putting yourself around different people (yeah I said make some new friends! Awesome!) and see if you change in a good way. You might be able to start acting more spontaneous if you put yourself around people who accept that in you more so than your current friends (since it sounds like you might be having a problem with it.)

ie. move out of your comfort zone a bit more.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #32
drizzleRomanceGirl
rain of memories...
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Hmm, well then don't actively do it. Try putting yourself around different people (yeah I said make some new friends! Awesome!) and see if you change in a good way. You might be able to start acting more spontaneous if you put yourself around people who accept that in you more so than your current friends (since it sounds like you might be having a problem with it.)

ie. move out of your comfort zone a bit more.
Thank you, I'll try that. I don't have any friends who I see regularly though, so hopefully I'll be able to develop a good friendship with at least one person on campus.

However, I don't think that'll help develop my own personality very much. D:

Division 5 2nd place

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Old 11-23-2013, 08:12 PM   #33
reuben_tate
Kawaii Desu Ne?
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
People who fill dead air with "yeah well" and "like" and "fuckin" and "umm" fill me with rage.
So what is the best way to fill dead air?

Not happening now! Don't click to join!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
(^)> peck peck says the heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX
And god made ben, and realized he was doomed to miss. And said it was good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakvvv666
awww :< crushing my dreams; was looking foward to you attempting to shoot yourself point blank and missing
reuben_tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #34
Litodude
FFR Player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgmSw-T6Qs4

dude
out west?

Quote:

Old 11-23-2013, 10:06 PM   #35
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben_tate View Post
So what is the best way to fill dead air?
What makes you think it needs to be filled?
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:15 AM   #36
Emanresu13
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

do anything anyhow you want

talk to people, don't, be silent and stare, at them, the floor, say umm, do whatever, it doesn't matter

you're cool and fine the way you are, and you can change yourself or not, just roll with what life gives you
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRubix View Post
^
Emanresu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:07 AM   #37
drizzleRomanceGirl
rain of memories...
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanresu13 View Post
do anything anyhow you want

talk to people, don't, be silent and stare, at them, the floor, say umm, do whatever, it doesn't matter

you're cool and fine the way you are, and you can change yourself or not, just roll with what life gives you
Thank you, I agree. I'll try to be myself. ^.^

Division 5 2nd place

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Old 11-24-2013, 03:15 AM   #38
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
I would love to talk with people daily, but right now I live in a college dorm where my roommates usually don't talk with me other then saying short greetings. My best friend went to another college, so right now I don't have anyone I talk with regularly. Hopefully I'll be able to make at least one good friend soon.
This depends. You do have an entire internet to communicate with in place till you can find some good friends in person.

The internet while not a permanent substitute is a great place to do this, assuming you can find the right people. I'd be so socially withdrawn if the internet was not here. Even then though I'm still extremely confused myself about a lot of social norms and such.

And I understand you might feel it's not the same, with video feeds and microphones it doesn't change the main way you can communicate. It's pretty much like interactions with people in a game with a handicap of sorts? hard to explain this without sounding like a douche.
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:37 AM   #39
drizzleRomanceGirl
rain of memories...
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNya View Post
This depends. You do have an entire internet to communicate with in place till you can find some good friends in person.

The internet while not a permanent substitute is a great place to do this, assuming you can find the right people. I'd be so socially withdrawn if the internet was not here. Even then though I'm still extremely confused myself about a lot of social norms and such.

And I understand you might feel it's not the same, with video feeds and microphones it doesn't change the main way you can communicate. It's pretty much like interactions with people in a game with a handicap of sorts? hard to explain this without sounding like a douche.
Yeah, the internet is a good way to open up and be yourself. However I almost never use phone calls or video chat online, so it can't be considered sufficient practice for conversations. >.<

Division 5 2nd place

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Old 11-24-2013, 05:26 AM   #40
MracY
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
@MracY, how is what I said shallow nonsense? This thread is supposed to be giving practical advice in conversation skills...which is damned hard to accomplish in an internet forum rather than in person I might add.

What you said is shallow nonsense because small talk is just a pretence in which you destroy your personality.
It only aids in conversation on a practical level. It's not something to be given as advice to someone struggling in conversation.

I don't want to go in-depth about what makes a personality. But if you want to, you can think deeply about that yourself and then look at your post.
You should quickly see what's wrong with it.
MracY is offline   Reply With Quote