Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2006, 11:16 PM   #21
Chrissi
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Chrissi
Default Re: Religion MUST be evil

Well you came across as kind of harsh to me.. but so did laharl, though he seemed only to be in a bad mood and reacting to you.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:19 PM   #22
Specforces
Yes
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Specforces

I'm not harsh, I'm a nice guy that loves peace and flowers and god.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:37 PM   #23
Tokzic
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tokzic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean
The entire reason religion developed in the first place, and why it strives, even to this day, is because people can't or don't like thinking for themselves.
I'd like to commend Afro for saying exactly what I was going to post immediately after reading Laharl's first post.

I've probably said this before, and no doubt I'm going to have to say it again: Organized religion is retarded beyond belief (*pun*).

I have gone into a Christian church before, and got into a conversation with one of the frequent goers there. He asked me why I had just come for the first time, and whether I was really a Christian or not. I said, "Yeah, pretty much." "What do you mean by pretty much?" he asked. "Oh, well, I believe in a few random things that the church doesn't exactly believe in, like reincarnation and some other more quirky things."

The pompous idiot then gave me a look of contempt and, in a tone that sounded as though his snottiness was bubbling up his throat, said, "Well, then you're not a Christian, are you?"

As far as I see it, personal beliefs should be kept to yourself. If people with the exact same beliefs want to join together, then that's dandy, but that doesn't happen - people change their beliefs to be accepted into a religious sect, and that is crossing the line of reason and idiot.

As if that's not bad enough, we get religions that think they have a right to go door to door trying to tell us that our beliefs are wrong and that we should change to theirs. That is garbage. The next time I get a Whoever's Servant knocking on my door and giving me a pamphlet to change my beliefs, I am going to smack them with it. I don't even know where they get the idea that their beliefs are so good that they can go door-to-door trying to convert people - but then, I don't even know why brainless dolts buy into it, either.

Also, Spec, you may not have noticed, but this is Critical Thinking. Of course, religion topics in Critical Thinking are discouraged for a reason - they end up as pointless bickering, like so.
Tokzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:48 PM   #24
Bahamut-X
FFR Player
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I don't choose to believe in something that doesn't provide satisfactory proof. It's as simple as that for me.

There was this one time in the morning before school, I was eating breakfast and turned on the tv and this preacher show or whatever was on (my kitchen tv has like 6 channels so I watched that). The lady actually had the nerve to say "Don't ask why, god, why, instead say god I trust you, I trust you". It was in response to something like the issue of why god could let suffering go on on so many places in the world. I found that statement completely ricidulous. Basically what she's saying is "Don't ask for reasons, just blindly follow what you hear!"
Bahamut-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 12:18 AM   #25
Cenright
You thought I was a GUY?!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Location: Beaumont (A town with 25 times fewer people than this site)
Send a message via AIM to Cenright Send a message via MSN to Cenright Send a message via Yahoo to Cenright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokzic
If people with the exact same beliefs want to join together, then that's dandy, but that doesn't happen - people change their beliefs to be accepted into a religious sect, and that is crossing the line of reason and idiot.
Actually, you are right in many cases, and that is kinda sad.

I am devoted to being one of Jehovah's Witnesses, and make this choice on my own, not because of my parents. Actually, my dad is against Witnesses, and I still continue this path.

I am a Witness because I believe it to be the truth, and I have done a lot of researching to feel that way.

There will always be people searching for truth, and not just a cool religion. Those are people who will spend time asking questions, and only believing what they themselves can find out.

Too many people look for a religion that fits a lifestyle, and just leave it at: "Oh well, these are my beliefs." So many times, it is because it is something that isn't of the greatest importance, and so beliefs be come a persons trivial feelings. I feel that religion is an important subject, so saying: "Oh well, these are my beliefs." isn't good enough for me. I want the truth, and I spend:
1 Hour each Tuesday
2 Hours each Thrusday
2 Hours each Sunday
These are times I spend with the rest of the congregation, attempting to understand the truths of the bible, with the reviewing of scriptures, and the answering of questions. This doesn't even count time I spend in the door-to-door work, or personal study time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut-X
I found that statement completely ricidulous. Basically what she's saying is "Don't ask for reasons, just blindly follow what you hear!"
People that just blindly follow are not using the resource that God has given to us. That would be the bible. Written by man, but inspired by God. This is a gift, yet so many people just "Believe". Someone had to look in it first, so why don't you also? When this bothers people, there are two different ways people deal with it. They say that they are stupid, and so they drop the subject as stupid also or are just to lazy to look on their own.
Then there is a minority of people that actually determine to find the truth. Instead of just believing... Instead of just being turned off by blind followings.

Religion is important to me. Or, if you want to put it another way. The truth about God, is important to me.

Last edited by Cenright; 09-16-2006 at 12:26 AM..
Cenright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 12:32 AM   #26
banditcom
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to banditcom Send a message via AIM to banditcom Send a message via Yahoo to banditcom Send a message via Skype™ to banditcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laharl
In fact, it is near essential to the well being and good nature of mankind.

How? Because there is some basis to provide morals on? lol...

This guy does a good job explaining things (exactly how I feel too).
http://www.asktheatheist.com/questio...ir_morals_from

*applauds Cen* ++ points for you but a - for the door-to-door, regardless of how you view it. But still that's a + for you. :P I used to be agnostic but the more I thought and more I put time into it, I became atheist.

Last edited by banditcom; 09-16-2006 at 12:39 AM..
banditcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 12:48 AM   #27
Cenright
You thought I was a GUY?!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Location: Beaumont (A town with 25 times fewer people than this site)
Send a message via AIM to Cenright Send a message via MSN to Cenright Send a message via Yahoo to Cenright

Thanks, Bandit.
Cenright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 01:27 AM   #28
scottish
FFR Veteran
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to scottish Send a message via MSN to scottish

Yes, I agree with you Cen, and Bandit, actually, most of you.
I do have alot of doubts, and also "truths" or however you would like to put it, in my beliefs and the beliefs of others, or in the beliefs of religion.
IMO, Religion is nothing more to keep people occupied, it's a system created totally for the sake of keeping people "looking" "searching" "seeking" or whatever you would like to call it, for this so called "truth" or inner bliss.
I totally respect if you are devoted to a religion, or not, yet I do get slightly irritated when people either preach, or try to spread their own beliefs.
When I'm required to talk, or write about my beliefs, I always include a note or subwriting hinting that I am not preaching, beliefs should be found within one's own perspective, yet I am only stating what I believe in, for the sake of other people veiwing or criticizing it. If the point of religion is to keep faith alive, or having people create an illusion, or a semi-reality within the world, then yes, it has succeeded. On another note, look at this topic. There has been about nine or ten times that someone has either took something personal or reacted rudely, and thats where religion fails, horribly.
When the system was set up, many people did not have personal beliefs, nor did they have as much freedom as we do today. We can openly speak about practically anything, and not be punished for it. Yet, taking into the numerous amounts of beliefs that have branched off of what it's purpose was, leaves a massive amount of "differences" or extremes that totally inflict damage to someone's feelings on their beliefs.
Differences in perspectives on the same subject but with opposite veiws tend to offend people easier, especially the one's where religion (or whatever we are talking about) are a priorty in life. Honestly, this is the easiest way to start a fight, conflict, or even war.
If a system was set up where each belief within ones self was accepted everywhere, it would technically be anarchy, in which " My belief comes before yours, I believe murder is ok, so I will kill for the sake of killing", or "I am the hand of god, I will destroy you", etc. etc.. which, was why the entire system was created in the first place.
It's kind of a "catch 22", where either way won't work, so the next best thing is to take what majority believe in, and apply it to society. Government works the exact way.
Heh, see, I'm now writing a long response in which, half of you will read, and half will not, and I get caught on this subject alot. Yes, I know, I am only stating this, I'm not implying that this is what you should believe in, or that it is correct, but for me, this is what I hold to be true.
scottish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 01:37 AM   #29
banditcom
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to banditcom Send a message via AIM to banditcom Send a message via Yahoo to banditcom Send a message via Skype™ to banditcom

++ for scottish
banditcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 02:18 AM   #30
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

Religion is never stagnate and plays an important rule in society for it sets morals, as I am sure many of you agree that murder is wrong.

Theology, however, is what defines and conceptualizes the beliefs of a religion and it is theology that remains stagnate and prohibits the evolution of man.
jewpinthethird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 03:15 AM   #31
iPatcH
Swamp Lemons Rule
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to iPatcH

RUB-A-DUB-DUB O! Hail Eris. Blessed St. Hung Mung. SYA-DASTI O! Hail Eris. Blessed St. Mo-jo. SYA-DAVAK-TAVYA O! Hail Eris. Blessed St. Zara-thud. SYA-DASTI SYA-NASTI O! Hail Eris. Blessed St. Elder Mal. SYA-DASTI KAVAK-TAV-YASKA O! Hail Eris. Blessed St. Gu-lik. SYA-DASTI, SYA-NASTI, SYA-DAVAK-TAV-YASKA O! Hail Eris. All Hail Dis-cord-ia. RUB-A-DUB-DUB
Old 09-16-2006, 06:25 AM   #32
_A2P
Banned

Send a message via AIM to _A2P

This is just a quick and (quite possibly) not a good worded statement since I don't feel like typing a lot right now but...

The reason I'm an atheist is not because I hate religion in general. It's because religion causes a lot of ignorance and hate itself. I, myself, am a peaceful man. I do not want to be associated with any form of hate at all. That is why I'm an atheist.

Saying that something is the root of all evil is actually being ignorant, no matter how you see it. Even Osama bin Laden, I might add. Sure, he organized a disaster that killed over 3,000 people at once, but that doesn't mean he's evil. Yes, he should be punished, but that doesn't mean he's evil. He just let his hate grow too much. Things would be different if he wasn't so hateful.

Anyways, I'm done with this statement. Maybe I'll add more to it later. But I will say this before I finish; I don't hate you because of your religion, or any other quality. I'm just saying why religion isn't such a good thing.
_A2P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 08:32 AM   #33
Laharl
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Laharl Send a message via MSN to Laharl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specforces
I can't stand preaching. The whole world is becoming godless, get used to it. Your breed is slowly dieing.
Yeah, I know, people that believe in being kind to their neighbor ARE dying out. Guys like you that think it's perfectly okay to womanize and use people to further your own ends are unfortunately becoming the norm.

And we will see who's around in 10 years. If you're not a drunk passed out jobless on the side of the road, I will be quite, quite surprised.
Laharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 08:58 AM   #34
TheRaiRaiEatsBalloons
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to TheRaiRaiEatsBalloons Send a message via MSN to TheRaiRaiEatsBalloons Send a message via Skype™ to TheRaiRaiEatsBalloons

Quote:
Yeah, I know, people that believe in being kind to their neighbor ARE dying out.
Being religious in and of itself has nothing to do with following the religious morals that are actually healthy, such as being kind and turning the other cheek. The percentage of "religious" people who follow these morals is pretty much a low single-digit number.
You prove it yourself by being all fanatical about your religion, and yet exploding into textual fire at Spec as soon as he insults you.
Religion is instant ultra-hypocritcalism, and is behind pretty much every major war in history.
Quote:
Guys like you that think it's perfectly okay to womanize
Nothing wrong with that WHATSOEVER. That's what the human species was DESIGNED for. The "traditional family" (which isn't actually traditional) is FAR more unhealthy and uncommon, and always has been.
Quote:
and use people to further your own ends
Anyone who would sacrifice their happiness in the long term to fulfill someone else's expectations is a complete tool and is pissing away their life.
Quote:
And we will see who's around in 10 years. If you're not a drunk passed out jobless on the side of the road, I will be quite, quite surprised.
I'm sorry, did you just imply that Spec is going to do poorly in life because he's not religious? You're retarded.

Last edited by TheRaiRaiEatsBalloons; 09-16-2006 at 09:57 AM..
TheRaiRaiEatsBalloons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 08:58 AM   #35
Hr2
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Hr2 Send a message via MSN to Hr2
Thumbs down Re: Religion MUST be evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny1
well, with religion, my take on it is, it's possible it may not be true, and trying to think about how it may be true really just makes me go into a worse spot than I am, but really, there is no bad side of religion. If I die believing I will go to heaven, and there is no heaven, I have lost nothing of my life. Is it really a bad thing?
Except, most religions say that if you're not ours, you go to hell. Since there are hundreds and hundreds of different sects of different religions, who's to say which one knows what's right and which one REALLY owns a heaven.

So lets just take TODAY's religions.

Catholicism
Orthodox
Protestant
Shiit Muslim
Sunni Muslim
Hinduism
Buddhism
Sikh
Judaism

and everyone's favorite, scientology.

So which one to choose? Any protestant will tell you their specific sect is the best, any hindu will tell you that their religion is the best, any catholic will tell you that catholicism is the only true religion.

You know what? I think my spirituality is better placed in myself than some ficticious god, you don't need to go to church and you don't need to pray to be spiritual in your own way. You only need yourself.

I used to be Catholic, and pretty damn religious too, then I started questioning the whole idea of "divine intervention" and the purpose of prayer. I noticed that prayer never did anything for me, it made you feel like someone else was listening, although they would never respond back and all it would do is make you feel like some day god would miraculously come down and fix all your problems. But he never does, and never will. Instead I would rather spend periods of introspection, surveying myself in a more spiritual way than one would casually look at themselves. I find this much more satisfying.

ps lol at nonreligious people not being able to succeed, you're really ****ing dumb sir 8)

ps move to canada and you'll realize everyone is really ****ing nice to each other
Old 09-16-2006, 09:00 AM   #36
Specforces
Yes
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Specforces

Let's give everyone a backstory. Casey thinks that I am a womanizer and an alcoholic. I haven't drank in 4 months(and when I did drink it was once every other weekend, and NEVER more than enough to get me slightly drunk, I've never blacked out from Alcohol.), a thing didn't work out between me and an girl that Casey also happened to like. Casey, I'm at the Air Force Academy right now, arguabley one of the best universities in the country. I am doing very well, I am enjoying myself. 4 years from now I will be in the U.S. Air Force serving as a Second Lt. Soon after that I'll be either a Combat Rescue Officer or Pilot, depending on what I decide in the next 4 years. The only people that will be lying on the side of the road are the targets I either,

1. Kill in the line of saving someone else
or
2. Targets of 2000 Lb Jdam missiles

So you "threatening" my success is of little consequence, I'm going places Casey, they didn't appoint me second in command of my class for nothing. I have a natural ability of Leadership and I don't exhibit it over the internet because the internet isn't that serious.

So, that being said, that's the last time I say anything remotely serious to you, because you obviously lack the ability to listen to anyone but yourself, or at least suck it up and stop yourself before you say something extremely stupid.

Cheers
Old 09-16-2006, 09:03 AM   #37
TheRaiRaiEatsBalloons
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to TheRaiRaiEatsBalloons Send a message via MSN to TheRaiRaiEatsBalloons Send a message via Skype™ to TheRaiRaiEatsBalloons

Old 09-16-2006, 09:15 AM   #38
Hr2
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Hr2 Send a message via MSN to Hr2

Rai, I like it!
Old 09-16-2006, 09:21 AM   #39
TheRaiRaiEatsBalloons
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

I wish I had created it. =(
Old 09-16-2006, 09:33 AM   #40
ddr_dude
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to ddr_dude Send a message via MSN to ddr_dude Send a message via Yahoo to ddr_dude Send a message via Skype™ to ddr_dude

Quote:
Because that guy who called you a bad name goes to church on sunday, as opposed to that other guy who beat you up in middle school that claimed God was false.
/sarcasm

Listen up, tools.

Religion is not evil. In fact, it is near essential to the well being and good nature of mankind. The fact that religions happen to be run by very real, very human people, does not make that religion false, does not make that religion EVIL.

INTOLERANCE is the root of all evil. You who claim that religions are there simply to brainwash people so that the people who operate that religion can gain power, are everything you despise. How can you call a man stupid, ignorant, false, evil, simply for him choosing to follow God? Because once upon a time you were discriminated against by someone that had a holier-than-thou attitude? My guess is that is at least part of your hatred. Realize you are being a hypocrite, and then go perfect thyself.

/soap box
Im not going say all religion is evil, just that its all corrupt. All religion is just another excuse for a person to not like another. In order to fix it we need change but we as a society hate change so it will never happen. Religion is just here so we can have a reason to blame something that was our fault on something we call "God". People need to take responsibility for their own actions and stop blaming "God" for all their problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
guyz i found hax 2 make ur caracturz lv 405 i cnt make it ne highr cuz stupd gamegaurd blox mi acess past dat u jus dowloa dit here: ww.hax.mapel.org/hax_TROJANMALWARE.EXE
ddr_dude is offline   Reply With Quote