noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to noname219
Default Re: Need music recommendations | 1 year challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzExZeRo7497 View Post
If the glitched out part of the review is a reference to one of the tracks in the album (I'm Too Sleepy.. Shall We Swim?), A+ review, would read again.

Probably isn't though, so I'll reread it once you're done, haha. The review is pretty solid nonetheless, the part-review you've made is definitely some of the reasons why I enjoy listening to this album.
It's a reference to my mindset when I was listening to the album. Although it could really be a reference to I'm Too Sleepy, seeing how the progression on the song mirrors well what I "wrote".

It really challenged some of my preconceptions I had with drone music in general. The more I tried to write about it, the more I had difficulties. I realized soon enough that the album wasn't limited to some of the conventions we normally found in modern music. (especially rhythm and structure)

I won't make a lot of these type of reviews, but they're fun to write.
noname219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #222
EzExZeRo7497
FFR Veteran

October Language really is an unconventional album (compared to other drone albums), yeah. I tried to write about what the album is like, but it's really difficult to describe it, let alone in a way that actually sounds coherent.

It takes a while for the album to sink in completely though, so give it a few more listens during your free time. I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy it more than you already do.
EzExZeRo7497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #223
Crazyjayde
FFR Veteran
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

You definitely got me hooked with this last review. (I think I know where you're going with that from one of our earlier discussions...)

I've actually took the time to peruse through most of the suggestions itt and the ratio of drone/contemplative music is kind of surprising.

/added October Language to my wishlist
Crazyjayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:39 PM   #224
Arkuski
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Arkuski Send a message via Skype™ to Arkuski

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
I'm not sure if this is canon, but I've heard that the concept behind this album is if humanity dies off, the next intelligent race finds a bunch of audio clips and tries to piece them back together, but does it incorrectly. A super interesting concept, even if it's not true.
Can't the same be said for any sample-based album?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
i can appreciate a good looking woman when i see one and this one just happened to be my mom
Arkuski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #225
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Day Nineteen - December 19th, 2013
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

You're Living All Over Me by Dinosaur Jr. (recommended by rayword45)

1. Little Fury Things
2. Kracked
3. Sludgefeast
4. The Lung
5. Raisans
6. Tarpit
7. In a Jar
8. Lose
9. Poledo

Today, I had to listen to You're Living All Over Me, an album by Dinosaur Jr. that was released in 1987. The album received considerable attention at the time and is now considered a classic of indie and alternative rock music. Dinosaur Jr. was formed by J Mascis (vocals, guitar), Lou Barlow (vocals, bass) and Murph (drums) and You're Living All Over Me is their second LP.

The influences on the album are very diverse : you get a doomy sound on Sludgefeast, especially the main riff that sounds like 70s Black Sabbath. The very first seconds of Little Fury Things, which caught me by surprise, sounds like depressive black metal with those high pitch screams over an intense lo-fi guitar. Weird way to introduce an album like that. There's also this bizarre noise transition in Poledo at 1:40, out of nowhere. The song is more quiet and is a strange inclusion if you ask me because it sounds like nothing else on the record. I may find all those little moments out of place, but they are original and they forge the album its own identity. The band has the ability to surprise the listener when you least expect them.

The vocalist surely have no formal training whatsoever. On first listen, he really sounds terrible. I suspect it gets better and better the more you listen to him. For me, that's what ruined the album. His guitar work however is freaking awesome. It's raw, expressive, powerful. Definitely one of the best guitar performance I've heard. Solid riffs everywhere, the solos are all amazing. The bass and drums work are tight and heavy. In that sense, the musicianship is one of the strong points of the band.

Minus the vocals, I would probably rate this album 8 or even 9 stars. I will listen to it again, just to give me a second opinion.

My rating : ★★★★★★★☆☆☆

4th 7-star album in a row.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:34 PM   #226
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Rating is pretty understandable. J's vocals are notoriously nasally. people listen for the guitar and bass, but the vocals can be a real turn-off (they definitely were at first for me, although I probably was turned off also because I listened to Green Mind first which sucks dick). Did you like the vocals on Lose and Poledo more?

1. I now wonder what you'll think of All Hail West Texas.
2. If you would, please switch Acid Bath with either Forest Of Equilibrium or Here Comes The Indian on the shortlist. Either or.

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #227
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayword45 View Post
Did you like the vocals on Lose and Poledo more?
Definitely Poledo, I almost said it in my review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayword45 View Post
2. If you would, please switch Acid Bath with either Forest Of Equilibrium or Here Comes The Indian on the shortlist. Either or.
Will change to Forest of Equilibrium.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #228
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkuski View Post
Can't the same be said for any sample-based album?
I wouldn't think so. Replica is solely samples iirc, no synthesis.
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:03 PM   #229
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Happy birthday Xayphon!

Day Twenty - December 20th, 2013

SHINE EP by TEK.LUN (recommended by Xayphon)

1. Shoot 'Cha Down
2. RED
3. I.O.U.
4. Nova (ext)
5. Corn & Beef 22
6. Bouchin' Hard
7. Man Wit No Face
8. BNKS

TEK.LUN (short for Teknowledge Lunerium) is a Maryland-based musician who started making music since 2006. His music is influenced by 9th Wonder, Flying Lotus, J Dilla and Rusko just to name a few. Shine is the first EP I'm reviewing.

The main issue I had with this album was the choice of some effects. For example, in Shoot 'Cha Down, the guitar-synth layer is way too agressive that it becomes ear-gratting. The songs ends abruptly, but I don't know if the problem was the version on Bandcamp I was listening to. Not sure about the voice on I.O.U.. The song has a very smooth moody downtempo sound with a huge bass line, but the voice is really off-putting. On Man Wit No Face, the violin and the Newgrounds-like melody are a too present for what they're worth. Not a particularly impressive song : it goes everywhere but doesn't accomplish much.

At other times, when he's more wary, the ambiance gets really comfortable. RED is fantastic and has a really cool reverberated spacey effect going on. Nova (ext) is a solid nu-jazz track and Corn & Beef 22 is relaxing, although a bit repetitive.

In general, the mix of the different inspirations could be blended even more and it would be beneficial. I think when he's hasty, that's where he hurts his output. He just has to be more patient and let the music grows by itself.

My rating : ★★★★★★☆☆☆☆
Old 12-21-2013, 01:55 AM   #230
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

By the way my birthday is July 30th. Your OP has a ? mark next to my name and I assume that's for birthday information.
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:11 AM   #231
Xayphon
sausage
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Thanks for the review, I actually expected a below average rating since I feel like one's appreciation for this kind of music is either nil or high, as I noticed that with some of my mates. My favourite track on that album is actually I.O.U. (attn, word play: "I Owe You"), it just takes me to different places when I start listening to it. Weird thing is that I can't even recall a voice in that song without listening to it again, I completely surpress it.

Otherwise, I'd have to agree with you on everything else. The album has its flaws and strengths and to be honest, I haven't listened to it as a whole in a long time. I only recommended it because of the few songs that I liked on it. Either way, TEK.LUN is still a youngster (19 years old I believe?) and if he continues popping I'm pretty sure he'll be up there with FlyLo and 9th Wonder somewhere in the future. Judging from the time that has passed since he released SHINE I'm actually hoping he already got better, I need to start listening to that guy's new stuff.

Anywho, I hope you at least look forward to some more of my recommendations

Last edited by Xayphon; 12-21-2013 at 08:16 AM..
Xayphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:00 AM   #232
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Sorry for the delay. My sleep patterns are extremely sporadic lately. I'm in a shitty mood right now. I need something to cheer me up. Anyway :

Day Twenty-One - December 21st, 2013

Drift by Nosaj Thing (recommended by Crazyjayde)

1. Quest
2. Fog
3. Coat of Arms
4. IOIO
5. 1685/Bach
6. Caves
7. Light #1
8. Light #2
9. 2222
10. Us
11. Voices
12. Lords

Nosaj Thing (Jason Chung) is an electronic music producer from Los Angeles. His music is very similar to Flying Lotus and the glitch hop scene (yes, I said glitch hop Crazyjayde, and btw y quantize is totally glitch hop (+ instrumental hip hop, nu jazz and plunderphonics), stop telling me it has nothing to do with glitch hop. He had worked with some major hip hop artists over the years : Kendrick Lamar, Kid Cudi, Busdriver, Chance the Rapper, etc. Drift was his first album, released in 2009.

I'm sorry but it's not my cup of tea. Well, I should say it's not my cup of iced tea. Because it's cold. It has eerie voices in Coat of Arms, glitching sounds, haunting atmosphere from start to finish. It's not pejorative at all. It has this dark spectral ambiance not a lot musician can achieve successfully. But, I feel like I must zone out in a parallel dimension to appreciate the album. And since I had a lot on my mind tonight, plus the fact I listened to it only once, I wasn't able to do that. In a sense, the album felt really thin. As thin as those paper airplanes on the cover art. There's nothing memorable for me on this record. Which is kind of sad because there's a lot of thought processing behind the music, complex beats and odd compositions (1685/Bach, Light #2). The start of IOIO is magnificient too and Fog is superb.

It didn't click with me. Fans of the genre would like this album.

I reduced the rating of Certified Air Raid Material to a 5 btw.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #233
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Day Twenty-Two - December 22nd, 2013

Double-Crosser by Seabound (recommended by DarkProdigy)

1. Scorch the Ground (Version)
2. The Promise
3. Doubleplusungood
4. Sapphire
5. Domination
6. Every Last Grain
7. Castaway
8. October Song
9. Traitor (Extended)
10. Breathe

Seabound is a futurepop duo from Germany. They have released numerous albums and have been influenced by Front 242 and Covenant. They will also put out another album in February 2014, their first in over 7 years.

Pretty good and accessible ebm release with some moments. The trance beat on The Promise is addicting but cheesy. Every Last Grain is a beautiful quiet ambient track, I really wished it was longer. There's some cool progressive electronic sounds in Breathe and the way it grows is mezmerizing. Definitely the best song out there. Always a good idea to put a strong track at the end, it closes on a high note. Quality programming too with chilling club-y beats.

At parts, it sound dated. I didn't believe it myself that his album was released in 2006, looks to me it could be 10 years older. About the vocals, I prefer his harsh/whisphering vocals than his clean, it fits more. The clean vocals sometimes sound false, i.e. the chorus of The Promise.

So yeah, not a lot of bad points for this album. It got me entertained enough, just what I needed.

I will be on the road tomorrow, expect delays.

Last edited by noname219; 12-22-2013 at 01:38 PM..
Old 12-23-2013, 05:11 AM   #234
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Day Twenty-Three - December 23rd, 2013

崖の上のポニョ (Gake no Ue no Ponyo / Ponyo on a Cliff) by 久石譲 [Joe Hisaishi] (recommended by Arkuski)

1. 深海牧場 (Shinkai Bokujyou) [Deep Sea Ranch]
2. 海のおかあさん (Umi No Okasan) [Mother of the Sea]
3. 出会い (Deai) [Encounter]
4. 浦の町 (Ura No Machi) [Ura Town]
5. クミコちゃん (Kumiko-chan) [Kumiko]
6. ポニョと宗介 (Ponyo To Sosuke) [Ponyo and Sosuke]
7. からっぽのバケツ (Karappo No Baketsu) [Empty Bucket]
8. 発光信号 (Hakkou Shingou) [Flash Signal]
9. 人間になる!(Ningen Ni Naru!) [I Become Human!]
10. フジモト (Fujimoto)
11. いもうと達 (Imouto-tachi) [Little Sisters]
12. ポニョの飛行 (Ponyo No Hikou) [Flight of Ponyo]
13. 嵐のひまわりの家 (Arashi No Himawari No Le) [The Sunflower House in the Storm]
14. 波の魚のポニョ (Nami No Sakana No Ponyo) [Ponyo of the Fish of the Wave]
15. ポニョと宗介Ⅱ (Ponyo To Sosuke 2) [Ponyo and Sosuke 2]
16. リサの家 (Lisa No Le) [Lisa's House]
17. 新しい家族 (Atarashii Kazoku) [New Family]
18. ポニョの子守唄 (Ponyo No Komori-uta) [Ponyo's Lullaby]
19. リサの決意 (Risa No Ketsui) [Lisa's Determination]
20. グランマンマーレ (Granmanmale)
21. 流れ星の夜 (Nagareboshi No Yoru) [Night of the Meteor]
22. ポンポン船 (Pompom-sen) [Hot-Bulb Engine Ship]
23. ディプノリンクスの海へ (Dipnorhynchus No Umi E) [To the Sea of Dipnorhynchus]
24. 船団マーチ (Sendan March) [Fleet March]
25. 赤ちゃんとポニョ (Aka-chan To Ponyo) [Baby and Ponyo]
26. 船団マーチⅡ (Sendan March 2) [Fleet March 2]
27. 宗介の航海 (Sosuke No Koukai) [Voyage of Sosuke]
28. 宗介のなみだ (Sosuke No Namida) [Tears of Sosuke]
29. 水中の町 (Suicyuu No Machi) [Underwater Town]
30. 母の愛 (Haha No Ai) [Mother's Love]
31. トンネル (Tunnel)
32. トキさん (Toki-san) [Toki]
33. いもうと達の活躍 (Imouto-tachi No Katsuyaku) [Little Sisters' Activities]
34. 母と海の讃歌 (Haha To Umi No Sanka) [Song of Praise for Mother and the Sea]
35. フィナーレ (Finale)
36. 崖の上のポニョ(映画バージョン)(Gake No Ue No Ponyo) (Film Version) [Ponyo On the Cliff By the Sea (Film Version)]
(thanks Discogs)

Joe Hisaishi is one of the most important figure of present-day classical music. He has made over 100 film scores and worked multiple times with Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli. Ponyo was another collaboration from them that met critical and commercial success. It went out in 2008.

It's always odd for me to listen to soundtracks out of their context. They always strike to me more strongly with visual clues. On their own, it's harder to grasp the full picture. This one, while I found it well made, fell under that general sentiment I have for film soundtracks. Giving that I didn't watch the movie (maybe one day I will) worked against my rating.

It has beautiful classical instrumentation with moving melodies. Great diversity on the moods, going from vast and rich, to light, simple or complex. Most of it is orchestral. The last track is a short light pop song made for promotional intent. It feels a bit out of place. Its inclusion was probably a necessity anyway seeing how well it ranked in the charts when it was released prior to the movie... and also because it's the theme song of the movie.

I don't especially love orchestral music. Might be because it's an extremely contained environment that, I feel, hinder experimentation, improvisation and originality (mostly performance-wise, some compositions can be intricate). What makes this album stand out is the talent of the performers and the melodies. High 6 stars.

No song pick. Too hard to choose.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #235
Arkuski
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Arkuski Send a message via Skype™ to Arkuski

Cool review! For me, this album is a 10/10 (no joke) but yeah if the emotional connection isn't there then it definitely warrants a lower score. A lot of the tracks feel like filler, but if you wanted to go back into it again my favorites were 1, 4, 11, 20, and 33-36. The last flurry of songs are my favorite. If you think of the last song as more of a credit song than a promotional piece then you might appreciate it a little more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
i can appreciate a good looking woman when i see one and this one just happened to be my mom
Arkuski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #236
Crazyjayde
FFR Veteran
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname219 View Post
It didn't click with me. Fans of the genre would like this album.
I guess that means I should probably listen to it.
Crazyjayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #237
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Won't review anything tonight, because, you know, family and all.

Two reviews tomorrow.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #238
XCV
has nice tits
FFR Veteran

oh man seabound !!

i forgot about those guys in the last couple years but i used to listen to scorch the ground on repeat all the damn time

anyway i'd like to make 10 so here's a couple more

Clark Powell - Medium [also check out stuff like this out, yeah it's one of those albums]
Tipper - Broken Soul Jamboree
Old 12-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #239
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Day Twenty-Four - December 24th, 2013

Skelethon by Aesop Rock (recommended by Tibbers)

1. Leisureforce
2. ZZZ Top
3. Cycles to Gehenna
4. Zero Dark Thirty
5. Fryerstarter
6. Ruby '81
7. Crows 1
8. Crows 2
9. Racing Stripes
10. 1,000 O'Clock
11. Homemade Mummy
12. Grace
13. Saturn Missiles
14. Tetra
15. Gopher Guts

My first incursion into hip hop territory (second if we count Mindless Self Indulgence) is an album by well-known producer Aesop Rock who started recording in the mid 90s. Skelethon is his 6th LP, released in 2012.

I can't talk much about the lyrics, I didn't give them a lot of attention as I was working on something else at the same time. From the little I've heard and read, he puts a lot of time in them. To a point where I feel like a lazy listener because I'm not even trying to understand his lyrics at all. Full of references, varied, large vocabulary. The exact opposite of my writing. His flow is aggressive and harsh, maybe too much.

I love the beats. Weird, gripping and a good dose of variety. Sometimes gloomy. Several unconventional sounds and influences. It's the reason why I find this kind of hip hop immensily interesting. I think I can like the instrumental version more.

Excepting the start and end of Ruby '81, there's no room to breathe. I took a break in the middle (got hungry) so it was an slightly easier listen than I was expecting, but it was still exhausting. 15 songs feels long.

Old 12-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #240
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Day Twenty-Five - December 25th, 2013

BABYMETAL (recommended by omega_grunt666)

1. Doki Doki☆Morning (Doki Doki☆Morning)
2. Ii ne! (いいね!) (Babymetal × Kiba of Akiba)
3. Kimi to Anime ga Mitai / Answer for Animation with You (君とアニメが見たい~Answer for Animation With You) (Babymetal × Kiba of Akiba)
4. Headbangeeeeerrrrr!!!!! (ヘドバンギャー!!) (Headbangeeeeerrrrr!!!!!)
5. Uki Uki Midnight (ウ・キ・ウ・キ★ミッドナイト) (Headbangeeeeerrrrr!!!!!)
6. Ijime, Dame, Zettai (イジメ、ダメ、ゼッタイ) (Ijime, Dame, Zettai)
7. Catch Me If You Can (Ijime, Dame, Zettai)
8. BABYMETAL DEATH (Ijime, Dame, Zettai - Limited Edition)
9. Megitsune (メギツネ) (Megitsune)
10. Akatsuki -Akatsuki- (紅月-アカツキ-) (Megitsune)
11. Onedari Daisakusen (おねだり大作戦) (Megitsune - Limited Edition)

What the hell. That's amazing.

My rating : ★★★★★★★★☆☆

Serious review :

Particular review today in the sense that it's not an album I'll be reviewing but the entire output of an artist career. BABYMETAL, who has maybe the worst band name in existence, was formed by Su-metal, Moametal and Yuimetal, three members of Sakura Gakuin, a j-pop idol girl group. I sure heard their name before, but I didn't hear their music until today.

Of course, it's extremely ridiculous. Of course, blending metal and pop is a very bad idea, especially if you have no idea what your doing. Of course, I'm not a fan of silly music or incongruous genre mashup. But this ? This is great super-candy-addictive music. It will get stuck in my head for the next 2-3 days. And it doesn't stop at just mixing j-pop with metal. There's "rap" in Ij ne!, brostep in Uki Uki Midnight, breakcore in Catch Me If You Can, metalcore/groove metal in BABYMETAL DEATH, japanese traditional music in Megitsune. A cocktail of genres that shouldn't work together. I like this, and I can't explain how.

If you're a metal purist, avoid this like plague. If you're not developping hives when trying new genre combinations, go ahead and try it.

My rating : ★★★★★★★★☆☆

Last edited by noname219; 12-25-2013 at 02:41 PM..