Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 09:56 PM   #61
sertman
DADALADAH
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to sertman Send a message via MSN to sertman
Default Re: LimeWire Gets Sued

The level of conversation in this topic makes me think this needs to be moved to chit chat. God DAMN, some of the people here are ****ing stupid.

The RIAA can do all it can but no matter what, they're never going to be able to stop people from sharing files. As torrents become more and more popular, and as more of the torrents become privatized (OiNK, for example), there's going to be less and less of a chance that the RIAA will be able to completely eradicate filesharing.

I steal music, I do it all the time. However, I go to TONS and TONS of concerts, so that pretty much offsets it.

Old 11-11-2006, 10:05 PM   #62
megaxxx
FFR Player

I do think most people in here do understand the fact that it is illegal and shouldn't be done in the first place, but I think there is miscommunication through the fact of financial issues. I mean, would you like something free, or would you like to pay for it. I think it comes down to that now. Thinking of this, I recently heard on the radio of a website that is giving away Xbox 360s for free. Heh, its yours for free, after filling out offers.

Old 11-11-2006, 10:44 PM   #63
MiniNeo
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomPscho View Post
My (mildy off stopic) question is that even if RIAA closes down limeiwre, they will not go to the store and pick up all those CD's they would have downloaded.
Yes, but those are the people that has little or no interest in the artist and wouldn't go buy the CD if they aren't getting it free. There are people that would actually go pay for the CD, but then downloaded it instead because it is so easy to and it's free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianStud View Post
One for all I stopped using limewire years ago cause of all the spyware and crap that came with it.. I think its a good thing they are getting sued.. Honestly tho I laugh that the "Music" buisness bitches cause of "SHARING" its not like artests dont already get paid millions of dollors each month. At least a forth of the people in the US go by living each day with less than 20 bucks in there pockets.. Im sure the artists can live just fine with 1mil less money than the 2mil they keep in there pockets..
The point is that music sharing is ILLEGAL. Doesn't matter how well off they are or how much more money they are getting out of it (though it might be part of the reason why they are doing it), it is an illegal activity.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:50 PM   #64
windsurfer-sp
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to windsurfer-sp

Sharing illegal files is illegal, as it is rare to be caught the only reason people won't do it is if they feel it is ethically wrong. There is no black and white answer. I illegally download some files and not others depending on the ethics behind it. Some song i hear on a radio that i listen to once or twice ill download. I never download movies or music that i would otherwise pay for.

Limewire the program should be sued as it is harbouring the transfer of illegal files and taking profit it from it (Limewire Pro). A program like frostwire or utorrent cant/shouldn't be sued as no profit is madde and technically speaking the program is legal but can be used illegally.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:58 PM   #65
YungYung
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to YungYung Send a message via MSN to YungYung

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillTalbot View Post
Limewire is a file sharing program ... you SHARE files. If YOU OWN the file the how is it illegal to share it? For example: someone buys a cd, rips the music to his library, shares it on limewire, and other people get introuble for it? It just doesn't seem right ... I use limewire on a weekly basis I don't see how it could be considered illegal.
It's funny to read completely illogical posts on the internet, and in this case made by a thirteen year-old.

Indeed. Buying a CD makes it your property. You have paid your rights to the CD and all the songs that it contains. However, by ripping the songs into mp3 format and throwing them on the internet, others are getting the same music without having to pay the price that you did. It's not a matter of 'others getting in trouble' because you are equally at fault for having provided them with free music.

In the case of Limewire, it's even worse. I'll admit that I have downloaded a handful of music using the program, but I also have to admit that doing so is illegal. Limewire offers a version of their program that you pay for. They are making money off of YOU, while the music you are downloading was created by other artists, from other recording companies. Are they reaping the benefits that they should be for having made said music? No, and that's the problem.

Basically if you wrote an essay, and some bastard took it, threw it on the internet, where thousands of people proceeded to print it out and receive 100% at school, would you be happy? No. Because it is YOUR work, and OTHERS are taking advantage of it.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:30 AM   #66
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

I don't believe I actually have any music that is copyrighted in the United States. Or, at least, by the RIAA.

I have over 20000 mp3s, so this is probably impressive...?

^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved
Old 11-12-2006, 12:32 AM   #67
YungYung
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to YungYung Send a message via MSN to YungYung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogy View Post
I don't believe I actually have any music that is copyrighted in the United States. Or, at least, by the RIAA.

I have over 20000 mp3s, so this is probably impressive...?
Sorry Moogy, Eureka SeveN is licensed now, and that would most likely include it's music since they've kept all of their soundtrack. XD

When will I ever stop bugging you about E7?
Old 11-12-2006, 12:47 AM   #68
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Moogy has the Japanese soundtrack. It really doesn't matter even if it were licensed since he has the Japanese format.

If the Japanese soundtrack and the licensed soundtrack were in the same store on the same shelf, they'd have different SKUs. That's proof enough.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:33 AM   #69
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

I doubt Bandai will release the OST over here anyway. Or rather, all 3 of them.

Now I'll go back to looping my Touhou remix albums.

^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved
Old 11-12-2006, 04:44 AM   #70
Laharl
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Laharl Send a message via MSN to Laharl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianStud View Post
One for all I stopped using limewire years ago cause of all the spyware and crap that came with it..
I agree. The spyware on P2P programs is ridiculous and one of the reasons I never really bothered to get into the whole pirate scene.

Quote:
I think its a good thing they are getting sued.. Honestly tho I laugh that the "Music" buisness bitches cause of "SHARING" its not like artests dont already get paid millions of dollors each month. At least a forth of the people in the US go by living each day with less than 20 bucks in there pockets.. Im sure the artists can live just fine with 1mil less money than the 2mil they keep in there pockets..
That is the worst justification I've ever heard in my life.

If you do something that is such a commodity that you're able to earn a million dollars a month (I might add that there are VERY few bands that can post such an impressive stat. Most music artists are poor their entire lives.), then you deserve to MAKE that much money.

POINTLESSLY TAKING UP BANDWIDTH SINCE THE INCEPTION OF THE INTERNET
Old 11-12-2006, 10:42 AM   #71
SoUp_Na_i
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by sertman View Post
The level of conversation in this topic makes me think this needs to be moved to chit chat. God DAMN, some of the people here are ****ing stupid.

The RIAA can do all it can but no matter what, they're never going to be able to stop people from sharing files. As torrents become more and more popular, and as more of the torrents become privatized (OiNK, for example), there's going to be less and less of a chance that the RIAA will be able to completely eradicate filesharing.

I steal music, I do it all the time. However, I go to TONS and TONS of concerts, so that pretty much offsets it.

First of all, this topic is already in chit chat. God DAMN, some of the people here are ****ing stupid.

and I already mentioned torrents.... - -''
Old 11-12-2006, 12:01 PM   #72
megaxxx
FFR Player

Like I always said. Ignorance is a virtue, but patience got killed by the vulture. I don't think this makes sense, but whatever.

Last edited by megaxxx; 11-12-2006 at 12:20 PM..
Old 11-12-2006, 12:10 PM   #73
InuYasha250
FFR Player

is lime wire reallyh being sued? do i HAVE to delete it or uninstall it?
Old 11-12-2006, 12:13 PM   #74
sexylollypop
FFR Player

Question Re: LimeWire Gets Sued

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkVampiress21 View Post
It probably won't ever stop, but they try to stop the main sources so that they reduce pirating. That's all.
hey have you read vampire kisses??
Old 11-12-2006, 12:17 PM   #75
megaxxx
FFR Player

I ROFL at the avatar Inu. But like mention, it is limewire that is being sued and not the users. (Rings bell of attention) Wake-up people. Read the threads. It was mentioned at least 10 times that users will not be involved.

Old 11-12-2006, 12:18 PM   #76
sexylollypop
FFR Player

Smile Re: LimeWire Gets Sued

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
Ok, you got me there Mal.

For those who don't know about how little musical artists makes from CDs:

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.c...royalties6.htm

ps - mega, there will never be an end to pirating. It's absolutely impossible to kill this off.
they just want money becaues they are assholes!!!! :l
Old 11-12-2006, 12:23 PM   #77
megaxxx
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexylollypop View Post
Your spelling makes you look like Albert Einstein. Your grammar is just as beautiful as a Unicorn. You slang of ***holes makes you look hip. And your approach was very talented. I give you an A+ for your work of stupidity of language. Oh wait, this was a noob post, I have to give you extra credit. For your lack of hard work in reading the forum ettiquet (sp) I give you an A++. Total score you ask??? You have earned 125 noob points. It is alright to be a noob though. Sometimes, I still am a noob.

Last edited by megaxxx; 11-12-2006 at 12:45 PM..
Old 11-12-2006, 01:01 PM   #78
ducky285
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to ducky285 Send a message via MSN to ducky285 Send a message via Yahoo to ducky285

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexylollypop View Post
Yeah, they're assholes for expecting to get paid for doing their job.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:16 PM   #79
bobbycat73
FFR Player

I think without the Internet/P2P programs, people could not be aware of all the music that is out there. This causes them to become bigger fans, and maybe get some CDs or go to a concert. I think that programs like Limewire have a good side because they're informing the public about different music =/

http://mafia.cheats4us.org/index.php?x=241521 <- Hot asian chicks!!
Old 11-12-2006, 06:00 PM   #80
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoUp_Na_i View Post
First of all, this topic is already in chit chat. God DAMN, some of the people here are ****ing stupid.
I moved it without saying anything. It was in Critical Thinking.
Closed Thread