Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 09:56 AM   #21
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MalReynolds

No, Zaroff clearly owns the island. But technically, it is still hunting, because home owners can still "hunt" criminals through their house. A good example of this fails to come to mind at the time, but it has happened before.

Mal

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Maledictions: The Offering.

Now in Paperback!
Old 12-27-2003, 11:12 AM   #22
tristia
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to tristia

i personally think it would have to still be considered murder. If i remember the story right (and your asking me to go back to freshman english class), hes a general and such right? that would lead me to think that he is from a place that has laws and rules just because it has a government and military, so he is still commiting murder based on a moral level. He would know that it was murder because he is from a society that forbids the act of murder. I suppose it would also depend on what country he is from, but the manner of how zoloff speaks about his servant i guess is what you would call him (his large friend0 makes me think he comes from a highly civilized background. He calls him a savage, because he is def and dumb... just makes me think zoloff should know better than to be hunting men for sport... which would make it murder.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:34 AM   #23
HNJhack
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to HNJhack

ok, well these are all good points. here's mine. i don't think anyone said this yet...

The general told the man(i beleive that was rainsford) that he would hunt him. He has stated that he will do it tha tmeans he has thought a bout it making it pre-meditated murder. end of story ^_^

oh yeah, all hunting is murder when you think about it. it's just the way it is.hunting is murder, but murder isn't always hunting. ^_^

- 無秩序の神
Old 12-27-2003, 11:43 AM   #24
User6773

At this point, I think the debate is pretty stupid.

It's murder. Who cares what fashion the general kills the shipwrecked man in? Who cares if he gets a head start? The point is, it's still willful, wanton killing of one man by another. Whether or not it's "also hunting" doesn't matter.

Old 12-27-2003, 11:52 AM   #25
hEaLiNgViSiOnAnGeLicMiX
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to hEaLiNgViSiOnAnGeLicMiX

Well LOGICALLY, it's both. but for some reason, I think it's more murder than anything

Usually hunting is when an animal is killed. Of course it IS possible to hunt humans because animal and humans are alltogether living species. But think about it this way, during the process of hunting, the animals are killed at almost first site, to prevent it from escaping. The general gave the man 3 days, and then afterwards decided to kill him on the spot. Another thing, hunting is usually done for money. Either that or they want to make clothes out of the furr, or eat the meat. Obviously, the human has no furr, and the story never said anything about the general roasting the man atop a fire LOL.

Here's another thing though. Think of these two questions: What is murder? What is hunting? They're almost the same. Theyre both terms used to describe the killing of a living being. Difference is that you will have some kind of reward after hunting, wether it be meat *food* or money or clothes *furr* . But to justify what I said before, food money or even clothes did NOT come out of the idea of killing a human. so I to finish it off...IT WAS MURDER!
Old 12-27-2003, 12:15 PM   #26
Falcon
FFR Player

Quote:
I think it's still murder without laws. It's not "homicide in the first degree" or anything like that, but isn't murder just murder, and not defined by the law?
what youre talking about is natural laws... the laws that a [normal] person adheres to because he feels they are right, not because they are written as laws by a government. and in that case, i would agree with you.

as for the argument, i would have to say it depends on perspective. if you consider a man, in this case, to be an animal and not a man, then it is purely hunting. if not, then it is murder. i will agree with chardish that it is a perversion... that a person has gotten to a point where he has to hunt so much that he must hunt something smarter than simply an "animal", but something that is as smart as he is.

Quote:
4) its 1 oclock i want to go to bed
"its 3 am and i wanna go to beeeed" -OAR
Old 12-27-2003, 12:48 PM   #27
dancingmaniac3
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to dancingmaniac3

ok this is getting way out of hand. i mean its a great story and all and makes u think hard, but theres just too many perspectives and we're never gonna get the answer. the only answer we get is the one we believe in. thats our answer. there is no RIGHT answer to this story, only the answer that we think it is. so basically, this can go on forever, ppl saying its murder, ppl saying its hunting, ppl saying its both, ppl saying its neither. i predict this thread will go on for a while with everyones opinion...
Old 12-27-2003, 12:59 PM   #28
HNJhack
FFR Player

indeed it will. isn't that the point to these threads. they consist of very complicated sublects with no easy answer. in makes u as all think extemely hard to find an answer. eventually we will agree. because there is an answer to everything. ^_^

- 無秩序の神
Old 12-27-2003, 01:50 PM   #29
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MalReynolds

But Rainsford is tresspassing, and if Zaroff feels threatened, then his is full in his right to kill Rainsford.

Mal

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Maledictions: The Offering.

Now in Paperback!
Old 12-27-2003, 04:22 PM   #30
VxDx
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to VxDx

It's both, end of discussion. Plus the story sucked.
Old 12-27-2003, 07:21 PM   #31
HNJhack
FFR Player

yo!!! the story wasn't all that bad. and yes it is both. but that is my opinion based on the way i was raised in this society.
that is what will determine the answer. where when and how you where raised and what went on during that time. ^_^

- 無秩序の神
Old 12-27-2003, 09:27 PM   #32
Anticrombie0909
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Anticrombie0909

Wow, gone for one day and there's 30 responses waiting for me. Ok, I think that it would have been murder in the story, but if Rainsford agreed to it, it would be hunting. So, hypothetically, say there was a reward...one million dollars if he could survive for three days. If Rainsford took on the quest willingly, I think he would have given Zaroff rights to do with him as he would. But in this situation, killing another man in these circumstances, it should be considered murder.

And stop saying that the discussion is stupid. If you actually stopped to think about it, you'd see there actually are deep insights into this topic.
Old 12-27-2003, 10:26 PM   #33
makaveli121212
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to makaveli121212

your talking hypothetically here with the money...how can you say A) that it isnt hunting and B) that it isnt murder
Old 12-27-2003, 10:38 PM   #34
Anticrombie0909
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Anticrombie0909

I'm saying in the story it was murder, but under a different set of circumstances it could be considered hunting.
Old 12-27-2003, 10:44 PM   #35
makaveli121212
FFR Player

what?! what the hell are you talking about, how is it not hunting...his prey is out running in the wild, he hunts it down and tries to kill it...it doesnt matter if its a deer or a man

...hey isnt that the book where he finds the man hiding on the first day, and could have shot him, but didnt because it was too easy...im not saying it has any particular relevance, but...
Old 12-28-2003, 10:36 AM   #36
hEaLiNgViSiOnAnGeLicMiX
FFR Player

Above poster obviously didn't read my post.

When you go hunting and you see a deer, do you wait three days before you decide to shoot the bastard? nope, you'd shoot him probably no later than a couple seconds after you see it. the man was given three days. He could've escaped, but he didn't. In a way, he led himself to his demise. because he WAS given three days but then he was a bastard and got killed. he wasn't dying willingly, he was just an idiot.
Old 12-28-2003, 11:28 AM   #37
VxDx
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to VxDx

GAHHH you're so dumb. It's hunting, because he was being hunted. There's no debate. He was being stalked by someone who has the intent to kill. That is hunting. It's murder because one person is killing another. It doesn't matter if there was money, or he was given three days.

There's no deep insight in that story. There's no relevance at all. It's a terribly predictable story.
Old 12-28-2003, 11:29 AM   #38
IAMTHEEVILBEAN
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to IAMTHEEVILBEAN

I hate that story

I read it this year

I think its mystery/psycho
Old 12-28-2003, 03:33 PM   #39
makaveli121212
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by hEaLiNgViSiOnAnGeLicMiX
Above poster obviously didn't read my post.

When you go hunting and you see a deer, do you wait three days before you decide to shoot the bastard? nope, you'd shoot him probably no later than a couple seconds after you see it. the man was given three days. He could've escaped, but he didn't. In a way, he led himself to his demise. because he WAS given three days but then he was a bastard and got killed. he wasn't dying willingly, he was just an idiot.
are you saying its hunting or murder...becuase hunting is seaking out your objective...thats it, not even necissarily killing it either...i can hunt for my socks in my dresser...
Old 12-28-2003, 06:21 PM   #40
hEaLiNgViSiOnAnGeLicMiX
FFR Player

I typed out that entire paragraph to justify my point of view. my point of view is that in this situation, it's more considered murder than hunting. but logically it's both.
Closed Thread